The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtoys Little PrimalTap Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 14th March 2014
News Desk Editor

Software Soundtoys Little PrimalTap

Inspired by the classic Prime Time* from 1978, Little PrimalTap captures the highly distinctive sonic imprint of this quirky, and well-loved (by those in the know) vintage digital delay. Don't be fooled by it's simple interface, Little PrimalTap lets you unleash your creative urges to echo, loop, warp, distort, mangle, or create cacophonous cascades of otherworldly sounds.

THE PRIMAL SOUND
The Prime Time was used by a wide variety of artists back in the 80's (that was it's prime, heh) for rich guitar delay, chorus, flange and such, and it did a great job with those things but the really unique character of it's sound came from one of it's limitations. In an attempt to get more out of the technology (and probably stay under budget) it had a feature called Multiply that halved the sample rate each time the delay was doubled. Sound weird? It does indeed. And it's just the kind of weird that we love.

TWIST AND SHOUT
On this little beast, turning knobs is where it's at and that's how you get to hear all the oddities it can create. The Multiply knob supplies extra delay time that has drastic tonal changes with each increase. The Adjust knob creates pitch shifts, chorus, or flange when moved. The Feedback and Input drive tie it all together to allow for sounds just not found on any of the "normal" delay plug-ins. Abnormal is the new black.

FEEDBACK LOOP
Yes, the Feedback can go infinite, and do everything from classic delay style looping to old school sci-fi space noise. Oh, and we doubled the massive 256ms of delay time from the original (128ms if you had the non-expanded one) to 512ms so you've got some serious looping power if you need it. It's ok to let it get out of control, unlike the old days where you could blow your speakers (or your ears) if you didn't stay on top of the feedback. Little PrimalTap lets you use it as another layer of sonic color, and even opens the door for synthesizer type sounds.

Please share your Soundtoys codes in our dedicated Little PrimalTap Code thread located in the Deal Zone only!

Link: SoundToys Little PrimalTap Code Thread

Any codes posted elsewhere on the forum (aside from the Little PrimalTap Code thread located in the Deal Zone)will be removed!

Link : https://www.soundtoys.com

Last edited by The Press Desk; 24th March 2014 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: text edit!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yay!

Thanks, ST!
Old 15th March 2014
This thing sounds awesome imo!! Excellent alternative to Echoboy. The full version will be killer!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Really gets u-he DIVA in the Blade Runner zone. Modulating the knobs with a modulator really gets fun. It's modelled after the Lexicon Prime Time 93. All that character comes from the sample rate changing controlled by the timing knobs. It has input saturation too.
Old 15th March 2014
NO CODES IN THIS THREAD!

Read the first post!

Thanks!!
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

All this soundtoys marketing spamming codes strategy really starts to irritate me. Anyway this primaltap should be awesome as are their other plugins.
Old 15th March 2014
I think the strategy is lovely, gets the community involved and it spreads the word which is great for them...so I see it as a win-win situation: we get a damn nice free plug and they get some nice exposure.
Old 15th March 2014
great plugin.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Great plugin, tried it out today, nice and simple but can sound crazy...I love the Soundtoys mini-me release strategy
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict
no one needs to spread the code. It's optional. You still get the plugin, so what's the issue?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 instaces of this plug made my PT's native rig freeze.It had been running perfect.And it hardly made the cpu meter move.Ill keep trying to use it cause I like it a lot.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I actually need this plug coming soon. Gonna dip into some Thom Yorke style stuff. Absolutely stoked they released this.

Thank you very much.
Old 16th March 2014
I liiiiiiiike it!

/Jon
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

SoundToys is awesome, but do they really need to embed the iLok License Manager in all their plugin downloads?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't have a problem with iLok. It's a simple license manager, and there has to be a way to track these products. It's simple. It works. Soundtoys has always delivered super high quality products, so I don't see the problem really.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
I don't have a problem with iLok. It's a simple license manager, and there has to be a way to track these products. It's simple. It works. Soundtoys has always delivered super high quality products, so I don't see the problem really.
I don't think voidar is talking about Little Primaltap being tied to ilok (indeed, it is not). Rather, voidar is referring to the inclusion of the ilok client software installer in all their products. I too find this unnecessary, although I'm sure Soundtoys is trying to prevent wasting tech support resources on problems caused by outdated ilok software. Thankfully, the ilok installer will abort if it detects the latest ilok software version on your system.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
Love this! Best sounding thing in a long time! I really like that there is no BPM sync either..makes me listen for the groove rather than just being lazy and set a fixed note value.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef View Post
I don't think voidar is talking about Little Primaltap being tied to ilok (indeed, it is not). Rather, voidar is referring to the inclusion of the ilok client software installer in all their products. I too find this unnecessary, although I'm sure Soundtoys is trying to prevent wasting tech support resources on problems caused by outdated ilok software. Thankfully, the ilok installer will abort if it detects the latest ilok software version on your system.
Yes, I think it's quite a good thing too - first time it worked for me btw. I was outdated and the Soundtoys installer got things up to date.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

how do you authorize this offline???
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

pity about the iLok thing. I don't possess an iLok account, but would have really liked this plugin. bummer.
Old 17th March 2014
I love this thing.. I haven't gotten to use it on a new track, but I've popped it on a few old tracks and loved what it did. I had almost more fun letting one word slip into the delay.. then stopping pro tools and juggling the feedback, adjust, and multiply parameters. Just really seeing how unrecognizable the sound becomes after it feedback into itself hundreds of times. This is going to be amazing, both on tracks where you need it to be subtle, and on other tracks when you want really long-delayed, trippy loops that slowly transform into a crude sound.

Gonna probably have to buy the final version when its out. This thing is too cool.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
pity about the iLok thing. I don't possess an iLok account, but would have really liked this plugin. bummer.
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtoys Little PrimalTap-image_7873.jpg  
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
* Little PrimalTap does not require an iLok USB Key. The authorization can be placed directly on the computer you are installing it on. You do however still need to have the iLok License Manager installed and a valid iLok.com account.
So why would I install iLok Manager when I don't even own (nor intend to own) an iLok?
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
So why would I install iLok Manager when I don't even own (nor intend to own) an iLok?
Because iLok is now also a soft-authorisation system as well, just like the Steinberg key. Some licenses can be installed on your computer and not require the actual key (it's vendor-dependent), but you need the iLok software/infrastructure to manage those licenses. You need never buy an actual dongle, but to use any of those soft-authorised plugins you need the software. You won't be able to use Little PrimalTap without it.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

so I will miss out on this plugin.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

It sounds totally lovely, and its as characterful, in its own way, as the best analogue delays. I will use it a lot, but then again I'm very delay oriented, I started early and very naturally by turning up days late at school.
Looking forward to the full version, even though this is really tempting me to go and hunt down an original Prime Time...
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

They are giving the plugin away for free and people still complain!? Idiots.

I am super happy and thanks for the free plug!! Awesome strategy.
Old 17th March 2014
Really nice sound, but .. no tempo sync? Maybe in the full version. Thank god you can type a value.

What does the "prime" dot mean next to the MS value? It appears with seemingly random ms values. Can't find manual to read.

Wonder if the Waves Metafilter delay can do this stuff, just ran out of the demo.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

WARNING!!!

Install at your peril if you're running Nuendo 6.07 / 64 bit / W8.1

I did just did - and upon exit suffered a crash that wiped Nuendo prefs and caused Nuendo to crash on start up again.

I had to scan all my plugins again, but the installation of this plugin had caused a problem with Melodyne, of all things.. Had to remove that first then rescan, yada, yada, yada..

Something in this plugin causes problems with iLok me-thinks..

Robin
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hi thanks for this little new plugin freebie!

Just wondering if anyone else has a nag screen when opening a session with this plug inserted on a track?
Soundtoys Little Microshift, version 1.4.0 unknown parameters found in preset. & Soundtoys Little PrimalTap, version 1.4.1 unknown parameters found in preset.

Thx for any info, cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search