The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 13th March 2014
News Desk Editor

Hardware Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface

The UH-7000 is a pro-level microphone preamp and audio interface designed with a strong focus on low noise and high audio quality. Not only can this unit be used as a 4-in/4-out audio interface in a DAW production environment, but as a standalone microphone preamp and A/D / D/A converter. The built-in HDIA (High Definition Instrumentation Architecture) microphone preamps are newly designed and perform at ?128 dBu equivalent input noise, a signal-to-noise ratio of 117 dB and distortion of 0.0009 % or less.

The grand nature of the UH-7000’s sound is partially due to the careful attention spent on selecting parts. In addition to Burr-Brown converters and metal thin-film resistors, installed is a powerful TCXO clock generator with a precision of ±1 ppm.

The unit’s half-rack size makes it easy to install at a studio console or work desk. The thick aluminum panels used on the front and sides of the full-metal body help increase stability. Highly important but easily forgotten about are the smooth-tension aluminum input level knobs for precise level adjustments.

The UH-7000 microphone preamp and audio interface enables composers, musicians and recording engineers to produce music in their private quarters at a level generally reached only in professional studios.

Main Features
  • Top-of-the-line two-channel USB audio interface for Windows and Macintosh computers
  • Can be used as a stand-alone high-end AD converter for monitoring or recording to stand-alone recorders
  • High-performance mic preamp newly designed for this model reduces influence of impedance mismatch with high accuracy resulting in most accurate audio reproduction at the input stage
  • Superb audio quality with samling rates up to 192 kHz at 24-bit resolution
  • Ultra-high dynamic range of 123 dB (A/D) and 128 dB (D/A)
  • Professional-grade PCM4220 A/D and D/A converters from Texas Instruments
  • Selected components like metal film resistors and film capacitors for outstanding sound quality with noise and distortion minimized to a minimum
  • High-precision clock synchronization with sample-accuracy at both recording and playback
  • On-board DSP mixer and effects like EQ, compressor, noise suppressor, de-esser, exciter and reverb (effects up to 96 kHz only)
  • Two selectable mixer modes:
  • Multi Track mode for DAW recording and composing: Create a monitor mix independent of the actual recording levels
  • Stereo Mix mode for internet broadcasting and video editing: Create a stereo mix of two different sources plus loop-back signal from the computer
  • Mixer panel for intuitive mixing and effects handling on the computer screen
  • Dedicated button for opening/closing the mixer panel on the computer
  • Two large TRIM knobs for precise level adjustment
  • XLR and TRS balanced analogue inputs
  • Switchable 48-V phantom power on XLR inputs
  • XLR balanced line outputs
  • Line output level can optionally be adjusted with the headphones level control
  • Output selector allows a source to be output via the unit's mixer or via a computer connected by USB
  • Powerful headphones output with dedicated level control
  • AES/EBU digital I/O
  • Low-latency monitoring
  • Easy-to-read 20-dot LED level meter
  • Aluminum front and side panels for long durability even under tour conditions
  • Half-rack size

List : Tascam Division - TEAC Europe GmbH
Attached Thumbnails
Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface-uh-7000.jpg   Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface-uh-7000_rear.jpg   Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface-uh-7000_right.jpg  

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 31st March 2014 at 01:35 PM..
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

SPEC wise, BUILD wise & COMPONENT wise, this product seems like it's gonna be STUNNING & at a street price of $599.00 it's absolutely BANANAS!!! & To think that I was just about to BLOW between $2000 & $3000 for products with similar specs, etc... is INSANE!!! Smh...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
SPEC wise, BUILD wise & COMPONENT wise, this product seems like it's gonna be STUNNING & at a street price of $599.00 it's absolutely BANANAS!!! & To think that I was just about to BLOW between $2000 & $3000 for products with similar specs, etc... is INSANE!!! Smh...
Gotta agree with you there hombre.

I used to own the Hilo which I think this is sort of based on but adds a few things.

Lack of updates for the FPGA made me jump ship.

Although I have the Crimson this could still find a way into my studio and workflow.

Excellent price point.

Cheers
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict
Mic pre's: -128 dBu (unweighted, 60 dB, 40 Ohm).
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear
Nice spec, looks great, and I'm sure it sounds great too.

Drivers will be important of course, but it's nice to see Tascam bringing out something with potential, along with their DA-3000 they seem to be going in the right direction - which is nice, I still have a major soft spot for Tascam due to the old 488 MKII multi-tracker (RIP)...and also it's not just an Apogee Duet clone!!

This particular interface doesn't have enough ins/outs for me, but I could easily see them expanding to a full rack-sized model that does. I've been looking at a new interface for a while now to replace my trusty Edirol UA1000, Antelope are currently leading for me, but if Tascam can deliver on this guy, I'll be watching what they do next!!

Old 14th March 2014
Nice!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

I was going to buy a hilo but this looks very interesting and the spec's are impressive. Will grab one as soon as they come out at $599 it is worth the risk just to test it out.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 line-inputs, but no line-outputs? When mixing, stereo compressor, equalizers... can´t be connected.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looking forward to seeing if there will be more in this range! I'm looking for an interface that will be a worthwhile step up from my Focusrite Saffire Pro24 DSP but in a similar format. The only feature I wish the Saffire had is a monitor a/b select switch
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
2 line-inputs, but no line-outputs? When mixing, stereo compressor, equalizers... can´t be connected.
It actually has female XLR line outputs.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Gotta agree with you there hombre.

I used to own the Hilo which I think this is sort of based on but adds a few things.

Lack of updates for the FPGA made me jump ship.

Although I have the Crimson this could still find a way into my studio and workflow.

Excellent price point.

Cheers
I hear you man.

I was going to purchase the Lynx Hilo or a combo of the Mytek Digital Stereo 192 ADC Mastering A/D Converter & Mytek Digital Stereo 192-DSD D/A Mastering Converter to use as my AD/DA for my current interface (Roland Studio-Capture), but after seeing this product, I’m going to hold off & give it a try. If it works for me, then I’ll have saved between $1700 & $2200. WOW! If it doesn't work out then I’ll layout the BIG $$$$$.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict
When is it available?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydp4real View Post
It actually has female XLR line outputs.
Thanks, I guess, I would have to choose these line outputs for monitoring or for connecting analog gear (in this case I would have to listen/mix audio from the headphones only)
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

It would be great if they could squeeze in another headphone output, an additional stereo output (either female XLR or 1/4 balanced TRS) to be able to connect 2 sets of monitors with a A/B monitor select switch & a dedicated monitor output knob! Oh & one more thing, instead of having the 1/4" line inputs 1 & 2 being mirrors of the mic inputs, make those inputs 3 & 4 to be able to record 4 analog sources at the same time!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

This looks pretty attractive. I wonder how they measured the conversion specs. Not that I'm skeptical, but the PCM4220 states in the spec sheet a typical dynamic range of 123dB (A-weighted), so I'm wondering how they achieved 128dB (A-weighted) of dynamic range for D/A conversion - also, I'd be interested in which sampling rates this applies to.

I'm assuming the "Link Line" button allows the Line Output to be controlled by the Headphone level knob. Hope someone Tascam can talk more about how this would be in use as a monitor controller (wouldn't want it to be subpar or if it's better to use a separate monitor controller)
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotini View Post
This looks pretty attractive. I wonder how they measured the conversion specs. Not that I'm skeptical, but the PCM4220 states in the spec sheet a typical dynamic range of 123dB (A-weighted), so I'm wondering how they achieved 128dB (A-weighted) of dynamic range for D/A conversion - also, I'd be interested in which sampling rates this applies to.

I'm assuming the "Link Line" button allows the Line Output to be controlled by the Headphone level knob. Hope someone Tascam can talk more about how this would be in use as a monitor controller (wouldn't want it to be subpar or if it's better to use a separate monitor controller)
According to the manual, the "Link Line" button does allow for the Line Output to be controlled by the Headphone level knob.
Old 14th March 2014
Old 14th March 2014
Looks like a pretty awesome DAC with a pair of nice pres.
Old 14th March 2014
I agree 100%. I will get one for sure.

Quote:
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

It looks really good, but 4 line I/O (for external gear) and DI is what I need.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Burr Brown PCM 1795 is mentioned on a german site
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Is Tascam a company who are able to put out something really great, or is this product likely to have problems in relation to hardware functionality and performance, and software bugs etc?

I'm close to buying one (also looking at a Hilo) but wouldn't want to end up with a lemon. There are some negative comments about Tascam support with regard to drivers etc on some previous and lower priced products.

It would have been ideal if it had a 'mix' knob rather than a software fader. The DSP is also quite limited in terms of how many effects can be used simultaneously. Also, it might not have an instrument input - the manual says you can plug in a guitar with an effects pedal, but they might be meaning a DI box.

One part of the spe says it has Burr-Brown DACs, but further down it says it has Texas Instruments DACs, so I'm not sure which is true.

One mailorder shop has it listed on their website, but I've contacted a shop I normally deal with, and hopefully they'll speak to Tascam on Monday about availability here in the UK.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Burr Brown PCM 1795 is mentioned on a german site
Spec sheet for that also states 123dB (A-weighted). Not an expert on conversion but pretty sure you can't exceed the capabilities of the converter. But.. I do hope they can deliver. Even 123dB is respectable/very good.

At the end of the day though, it's almost impossible to make fair comparisons between converter chips themselves since they are all implemented differently and have different requirements. I hope they can implement the analog section (where it counts) well, and look forward to hearing reviews.

Quote:
According to the manual, the "Link Line" button does allow for the Line Output to be controlled by the Headphone level knob.
I guess I'm just curious as to how it's implemented. In this mode, is the signal just being attenuated passively? Is the headphone amp circuit still engaged? Etc... I'm sure it sounds fine, but was wondering if it's better to use a separate monitor controller for fidelity.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Spec sheet for that also states 123dB (A-weighted). Not an expert on conversion but pretty sure you can't exceed the capabilities of the converter. But.. I do hope they can deliver. Even 123dB is respectable/very good.

At the end of the day though, it's almost impossible to make fair comparisons between converter chips themselves since they are all implemented differently and have different requirements. I hope they can implement the analog section (where it counts) well, and look forward to hearing reviews.

I guess I'm just curious as to how it's implemented. In this mode, is the signal just being attenuated passively? Is the headphone amp circuit still engaged? Etc... I'm sure it sounds fine, but was wondering if it's better to use a separate monitor controller for fidelity.
As per the manual, yes the headphone amp circuit is still engaged.

Assuming/hoping that this unit lives up to the hype & stays as is, I believe it along with the Drawmer MC 2.1 would be a "match made in heaven"!
Old 15th March 2014
It will be very interesting when people can begin to compare this to other similarly priced interfaces. I like the look anyway. If it does okay I wonder if they come out with a rack version with more connectivity.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Assuming/hoping that this unit lives up to the hype & stays as is, I believe it along with the Drawmer MC 2.1 would be a "match made in heaven"!
And the Crimson.

Cheers
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac
It looks reeeeaaaally nice. But, no DI?.
Old 15th March 2014
Did I miss the price?
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlky View Post
It looks reeeeaaaally nice. But, no DI?.
Has balanced line in I would assume this bypasses the mic pre's as the spec's are different.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM

Manual is available

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search