The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddykev View Post
TEAC is hardly "multi billion dollar" company. Their gross sales for 2013 fiscal was around $215M with a negative bottom line.
What the hell does gross sales for a given year have to do with being a company's worth? Why are you quoting numbers when you don't even know what they mean?
Old 27th April 2014
Here for the gear

This looks to be a very nice piece of gear.

I'm wondering how the mic pre's compare to the FMR RNP that I'm currently using?
(in conjunction with an Echo Audiofire8)

Also wondering about the quality of the AD/DA converters.
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Maniac

Apparently you can't bypass the mic pres?
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Maniac

Nice. It was only a matter of time before the large manufacturers caught up with Black Lion Audio and the rest of the interface mod crew.
Old 4th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotini View Post
What the hell does gross sales for a given year have to do with being a company's worth? Why are you quoting numbers when you don't even know what they mean?
Gibson bought the majority (54%) shares of TEAC for $52 million, which puts the worth of the company around $100 million. Shesh.
Old 5th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
Apparently you can't bypass the mic pres?

That's what I see as well...
Old 7th May 2014
sm5
Here for the gear
Hey, I just updated my previously short review into something MUCH longer - TASCAM UH-7000
- I've had it for a bit over a month now and sort of shows my thoughts on the AD/DA and the whole non-bypassable mic pres ... aka When you go into the Line In's the input knobs still control the level of an external preamp ... but it's much lower volume overall than straight into the Mic Pre in. If anyone from from Tascam or someone who knows what's going on could clarify what exactly is going on that would be nice out of curiosity.
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm5 View Post
Hey, I just updated my previously short review into something MUCH longer - TASCAM UH-7000
- I've had it for a bit over a month now and sort of shows my thoughts on the AD/DA and the whole non-bypassable mic pres ... aka When you go into the Line In's the input knobs still control the level of an external preamp ... but it's much lower volume overall than straight into the Mic Pre in. If anyone from from Tascam or someone who knows what's going on could clarify what exactly is going on that would be nice out of curiosity.
Thanks for the updated review. It frustrating that nobody can hit the ball out of the park in the interface design department, and it leaves me like a dog chasing it's tail

Should Tascam consider releasing a high-grade AD/DA device similar to the Hilo and leave us to decide about the preamps? It's seems like they have already got the basics in place.
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

This new tascam seems nice, users, please keep us posted about the drivers and stuff. Also, it would be very nice if someone from Tascam could appear and say what's up with those line ins, do they bypass the preamp or not ?
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Addict

They do not
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
They do not

That sucks, I don't understand why would they make such a design ? Maybe someone wants to track with a high class preamp into it, makes no sense if they wanted to make a "high end" product
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
That sucks, I don't understand why would they make such a design ? Maybe someone wants to track with a high class preamp into it, makes no sense if they wanted to make a "high end" product
I am no expert but I believe they designed the analouge stage so it matches the impedance to the other unit very well in the preamp. Maybe the Line In's need to have a electrical load on them to "balance" themself and thus reducing noise. So it could very well be on purpose.
The preamps are extremly quiet and neutral by the way and I see no problem with signal going through them. Heck even boosting the signal 1-3 db could help your hi-end pre with less noise.
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am no expert but I believe they designed the analouge stage so it matches the impedance to the other unit very well in the preamp. Maybe the Line In's need to have a electrical load on them to "balance" themself and thus reducing noise. So it could very well be on purpose.
The preamps are extremly quiet and neutral by the way and I see no problem with signal going through them. Heck even boosting the signal 1-3 db could help your hi-end pre with less noise.

I understand and you are on point. I really bite the bate and I'm considering buying it sometimes soon because I see people say the AD/DA is outstanding. I will just have to give it some more time and see what will folks say about the drivers, I hope it could be a nice step up soundwise from my profire2626
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
I understand and you are on point. I really bite the bate and I'm considering buying it sometimes soon because I see people say the AD/DA is outstanding. I will just have to give it some more time and see what will folks say about the drivers, I hope it could be a nice step up soundwise from my profire2626
Just buy the damn thing mate and stop thinking so much, you can always return it
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
you can always return it

Here where I am from, hardly
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear
Same converters as the RMA units which some rate as some of the best converters available yet these have more features and are built "better". Can anyone confirm that these sound as good as the RMA AD and/or DA?

Thanks
Old 9th September 2014
Deleted 6ccb844
Well I'll be buying one, you're talking about reference grade+ converters for the price of a mid ranged interface with some decent pres to boot. It's like a two channel Apogee Symphony level setup for $600.00??? Seems crazy to me. There is one thing you can say about it, if there are any issues with your tracks. This won't be anything to do with it..!

Nice!.
Old 9th September 2014
Deleted 6ccb844
Deleted (Duplicate).
Old 15th September 2014
Here for the gear

Bought the UH-7000 for 599.00 and included some atx50 Headphones which i
sold for $100.....now i hear tascam is giving a 100dlls rebate that i qualify for.......That would put my investment at 400.00 dlls.......Mixes are sounding great!! i still own an apogee symphony but the tascam gives me less color that works great for some of the modern stuff like dance music.
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetchild View Post
Bought the UH-7000 for 599.00 and included some atx50 Headphones which i
sold for $100.....now i hear tascam is giving a 100dlls rebate that i qualify for.......That would put my investment at 400.00 dlls.......Mixes are sounding great!! i still own an apogee symphony but the tascam gives me less color that works great for some of the modern stuff like dance music.
wow man.. grats.. where did u score these deals?
Old 16th September 2014
Here for the gear

sonicsense....they don't have the deal i got but they got others including cables when you buy the tascam.

i am guessing the ath-50 deal was limited.
Old 18th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetchild View Post
sonicsense....they don't have the deal i got but they got others including cables when you buy the tascam.

i am guessing the ath-50 deal was limited.
You shouldn't have sold them they are great headphones
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Addict

bump
Old 17th February 2015
FYI: Price has just dropped for this unit. it is now $399.00
Old 17th February 2015
Gear Guru

For that price is a steal. UH-7000 is my DAC of choice right now, really sounds large, and detailed.
Old 1st June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I posted this in another thread but this one seems more appropriate.

Well this is a bit odd. I went inside to check out the electronics and the digital/analog conversion IC is clearly an AKM AK4114VQ. No Burr-Brown devices to be found anywhere in sight.

I don't know if Tascam is trying to sweep this under the rug or what, but all of their current advertising still clearly is leaning heavy on the Burr Brown angle. I wonder if this is why the price went down?

Don't get me wrong, it sounds wonderful still, I just wanted to point out this quiet substitution vs the press.
Nothing to worry, the AK4114VQ is a digital transeiver used to handle the AES/EBU and spdif signals .
It's highly likely that the ADC and DAC are located on the backside of the main PCB.

I'll have to add that im supriced your stating this misinformation.
A bit of googling would have shown you the datasheet of this chip with a discription of its function.
Fair enough, you have to be a bit techy to understand its meaning.
But all the more reason to not state this as a fact when your actually making an assumption.

Back to the UH-7000.
I'm very excited about this unit!
For so long i've been using the slowly dieing Emu1616m.
Fantastic hardware, with absolutely stunning performance (showing what great engineering really can achieve).
But sadly Creative took over Emu trying (or should I say succesfully?) to make a few quick bucks before dumping the productsupport.

For years i've been trying to find an comparable alternative without going into the $2k/€2k figure.
And the UH-7000 seems to be the first candidate .
It seems the engineers at tascam have put alot of thought into the design focusing primarely on the recording part.
I've already seen some loopback measurements on the web, but so far the distortion numbers from the input have put me on hold.
The numbers are really low and waaay below the human treshold to detect.
But to high for making this device suitable for 'abuse' as a measurement device.

Im suspecting the use of NE5532 opamp's are to blame here, since they aren't the distortion champs.
But to be sure, is there anyone willing to have a peak inside and look wether the line-ins are buffered by these NE5532's?

I'm having my hopes up, because this could possibly mean the UH-7000 inputs can be modded to make this suitable as a reference measurement device.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings Kheron
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Guru

misinformation post deleted, sorry for the mistake
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Addict
I believe I read somewhere that these preamps were based on (or the target was) to sound like the Millennia preamps. Are they close?
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
I believe I read somewhere that these preamps were based on (or the target was) to sound like the Millennia preamps. Are they close?
All I can tell you is they are incredibly transparent sounding. In a natural way, there is not "artificial" anything, just clean, natural transparency.

I used to own the C84 from SCA, a Millennia clone, and yes, it's in that ballpark. I actually prefer the Tascam, I think, although it's been years since I've used the SCA. The pristine ADC of the UH-7000 inputs is another factor in why they sound so clean. Clean, but not clinical, as they say. I seem to remember the C84 having a touch of stiffness to the sound that I didn't prefer (sorry I know that's an abstract term, I can't do any better at the moment). How close that would be to a real Millennia, I do not know.

But my point is the Tascam inputs are the real deal. I use them on almost every session now, and I've been getting stellar tracks out of them.
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Addict
Thanks for the feedback, thats perfect. I am actually currently using a C84 going into a BLA modded M-Audio Delta 1010 and would like to Upgrade while downsizing my footprint. This may be perfect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search