The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the link to that web page. There's a bit more information on there than when I previously looked.

It says they carried out a lot of recording and listening tests, and used a Millennia HV-3D pre-amp for audio quality comparisons. What sort of tone/colouration does the Millennia have?
Old 15th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
What sort of tone/colouration does the Millennia have?
Cleeeen
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Agree that dual headphone outs would have been great. Tired of the breakout cable in my Duet 2. Looks interesting but I'm honestly not sold on the Tascam name.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
One part of the spe says it has Burr-Brown DACs, but further down it says it has Texas Instruments DACs, so I'm not sure which is true.
Burr-Brown chips are manufactured by Texas Instruments. It's one of their product lines.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info on the Burr-Browns – I wondered if that might be the case, but hadn’t got around to looking up the model numbers.

My local Tascam dealer doesn’t seem too keen on the Tascam brand either – he can’t see them competing with the likes of Lynx.

I had a quick look at their cheaper interfaces – (the US-366, and US-322) to see if there were any issues with those, and how Tascam might have handled them. Their mixer application looks almost identical to the UH-7000’s, with similar limitations. It appears there have been a couple of software and firmware updates since their launch, the most recent in December last year. I haven’t come across any reviews other than some user reviews on Amazon etc. They’re not entirely positive, and one guy says he has to wait for Tascam to release a driver for Mac after he upgraded to Mavericks (I'm not a Mac user, but presume that might be an OS update).

I’m sure Tascam aren’t the only interface manufacturer who is unable to keep all their customers happy, but I’m starting to get a bit wary about buying a new product when it might have bugs which take ages to be resolved. It would be especially frustrating if it were impossible to contact the manufacturer in order to log problems and have them resolved in a timely manner.
Old 16th March 2014
There lot of problems with tascam and their drivers. Ask to the DM mixer's owners how much time has passed since they have seen their drivers updated.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Tascam doesn't normally do lots of driver updates because most of the time there products are solid out of the box.

I still own a DP-32 multi tracker and I have never had a drama.

Powerful headphone outputs are a bonus.

I think if you check on the recent DA-3000 master recorder threads you will find some happy campers with the quality of the convertors which are similar if not same as UH-7000.

Tascam is also now owned by Gibson.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ask to the DM mixer's owners
DM's are almost 10 years old.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
My local Tascam dealer doesn’t seem too keen on the Tascam brand either – he can’t see them competing with the likes of Lynx.
Tascam is a devision of TEAC corporation a multi billion dollar company. I am prity sure they could compete with any audio manufacture it depends on how much they have resourced this devision. For example they could just buy lynx if they wanted their tech. Of course they haven't but there is no reason they couldn't do better. Their Tascam DA 3000 is getting good reviews I think they are starting to step it up and they do have the resources.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Head

If Tascam were to get on their A-GAME, not only would/could they put out gear up to par with ANY top notch competitor, but they'd take the industry by storm with their pricing!!!
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Tascam were to get on their A-GAME, not only would/could they put out gear up to par with ANY top notch competitor, but they'd take the industry by storm with their pricing!!!
I think they have done or doing this with the release of their last few products including this one.

Seriously if there was any way to sync up two of these would you buy 2.

I think I would.

Wasn't referring to last poster with any of these comments.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Am I tripping or is there no dedicated volume for the monitors?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I tripping or is there no dedicated volume for the monitors?
A glaring omission no doubt to reduce costs.

It is adjusted from the software mixer panel so therefore no doubt if less than unity gain would it not reduce bit rate and sample depth.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

It is adjusted from the software mixer panel so therefore no doubt if less than unity gain would it not reduce bit rate and sample depth.

Cheers
Dumb. I HATE that on my Apogee. Having to fiddle around just to switch between headphone and monitors. I think I'm going to buy a $150 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It seems to be more thought out then my $650 interface. Hate the breakout cable too.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:

Cheers
It can be controlled via the headphone volume knob by enabling the "Line Link" switch on the front panel.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydp4real View Post
It can be controlled via the headphone volume knob by enabling the "Line Link" switch on the front panel.
Yeah, I read about that but it's silly. Those giant gain knobs could have been a tad smaller to put an actual volume control in there.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Does flipping between earphones and speakers have to be done in the software?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

q LINK LINE button/indicator
Press this button to turn the link line function on, so that you can use the PHONES LEVEL knob to adjust the ANALOG (BALANCED) OUTPUT L/R jacks.
When the link line function is on, this indicator lights.
When Analog 2 is set to MIC on the MIXER page, press and hold this button until the INPUT 2 +48V indicator lights to provide phantom power to the ANALOG (BALANCED) MIC IN 2 jack. (See “Microphones” on page 14.)
CAUTION
• Turning LINK LINE OFF with the button will cause the signal level at the ANALOG (BALANCED) OUTPUT L/R connectors to revert to full line level loudness. When turning the LINK LINE OFF, check and adjust the levels on the currently playing audio and connected monitoring equipment first.
NOTE
• The link line function on/off setting is retained even when the unit is turned off.
• The LINK LINE button status is set to ON at the factory,
so the level at the ANALOG (BALANCED) OUTPUT L/R connectors is determined by the PHONES LEVEL control. If this is not required, please use the LINK LINE button to turn the feature OFF.

I am sure this will clear up a few things for us.

Cheers
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

What can we realistically expect out the drivers for these units?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Rock solid.

Cheers
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Rock solid.

Cheers
I hope so! If not, maybe they should contract Centrance to write their drivers!
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Rock solid.

Cheers
If Teak/Tascam/Gibson are smart they will put 110% effort into producing the best possible drivers, and if they are super-smart they will just take over RME
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Lynx Hilo hasn't had an update since NOV 2012 and although soon adding a T'bolt port
I am not confident of them looking after there customers either.

I am confident that Tascam will have rock solid drivers and heading in a good direction with quality components
and competitive pricing.

Whats wrong with RME?

Cheers
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Lynx Hilo hasn't had an update since NOV 2012 and although soon adding a T'bolt port
I am not confident of them looking after there customers either.

I am confident that Tascam will have rock solid drivers and heading in a good direction with quality components
and competitive pricing.

Whats wrong with RME?

Cheers
Nothing wrong with RME, they seem to be the only company who really know how to write drivers, which would be an asset to any aspiring competitor.

Actually the latest Hilo advert I saw did make me chuckle, they were pushing the fact that the device is infinitely expandable (via software). I could see that would be an attractive feature for potential new customers though.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I’m still weighing up the pros and cons. I haven’t heard positive feedback about Tascam drivers and support from the couple of pro audio dealers I’ve spoken to. Obviously, this could be the start of better things to come, but it puts me off buying an UH-7000 until I’ve seen some glowing reviews. One thing which concerns me is that its software looks very similar to that supplied with their cheaper units.

I was a bit put off by the lack of Hilo updates, but I’ve been told there will be a new release very soon – it’s going through final testing. I read elsewhere that the Thunderbolt interface took up most of their time, hence the lack of software updates in the past year or so.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I just heard from my sales engineer and he said it is now in stock and shipping
within two weeks.

Cheers
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I just heard from my sales engineer and he said it is now in stock and shipping
within two weeks.

Cheers
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Head

It'd be great if they were to use the FX, EQ's & COMP's from their digital mixers in the mixer applet software & give it a facelift to maybe something like this, with certain modifications of course!
Attached Thumbnails
Messe 2014: Tascam UH-7000 - High-end USB audio interface-image_95.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: yes View Post
Tascam is a devision of TEAC corporation a multi billion dollar company. I am prity sure they could compete with any audio manufacture it depends on how much they have resourced this devision. For example they could just buy lynx if they wanted their tech. Of course they haven't but there is no reason they couldn't do better. Their Tascam DA 3000 is getting good reviews I think they are starting to step it up and they do have the resources.
TEAC is hardly "multi billion dollar" company. Their gross sales for 2013 fiscal was around $215M with a negative bottom line.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddykev View Post
TEAC is hardly "multi billion dollar" company. Their gross sales for 2013 fiscal was around $215M with a negative bottom line.
Major shareholder is Gibson Guitar Corporation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search