The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Hardware Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors

Focal Professional is launching the Alpha line of professional studio monitors. Specially designed for music production, this line is composed of 3 loudspeakers: Alpha 50, Alpha 65 and Alpha 80. Featuring renowned Focal technologies, these studio monitors have been developed to ensure excellent sonic coherence regardless of the listening environment. Alpha redefines the brand’s entry-level products, making Focal Professional sound widely accessible.

Visit the Focal website for more information

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 31st March 2014 at 01:39 PM..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

How does the 8" model maintain low directivity below the tweeter's passband? Crossover point must be incredibly low for a 1" tweeter.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Are these higher or lower end than CMS range?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Are these higher or lower end than CMS range?
As far as I know, these will be positioned directly under the CMS line. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

it's gonna be lower end, following genelec and adam in their musician series.

prices seem to be 250, 300 and 350 per monitor.

dollar and euro.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post

dollar and euro.
At that price tag, count me in to get a pair & add to my Monitor listening selections ;-)
Old 12th March 2014
Mmmmmm, really interesting, I hope them not to be cheap sounding (althoung they are bargain line, it's Focal).
Old 12th March 2014
well, they are ugly as hell XD

Alpha - Focal
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

As long as they sound good...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO View Post
well, they are ugly as hell XD

Alpha - Focal
I myself love the design, don't always like conventional designs.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
I myself love the design, don't always like conventional designs.
It's true it doesn't really matter how they look but I also like the design on these ones. They look better to me than the CMS series, judging by the product pictures.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post

dollar and euro.

I'm sure these are decent speakers (I love Focals) and I'm NOT trying to be outrageous but don't these "musician lines" kinda of smack of audio prejudice by elitist companies?

It's like a big company run by rich white guys who specifically target a poorer, ethnic minority with a product designed to profit from a stereotype... hey, those people smoke a lot so let's make a cheap cigarette with ads targeting them!

"Specially designed for music production" as opposed to what, Focal Twins? Genelc 1038's, Adam A7X etc. I guess those are too good for musicians? It would be one thing to market these products as entry-level or beginner speakers but to use the term "musician" in place of those is insulting... there are plenty of musicians around the world who know what they are doing, who appreciate good monitoring, and will spend the money to get it! These companies know there are endless wanna-be bedroom producers who will be lured-in by the name and thus they use these lines as a cash grab or as a way to sell people UP to their more expensive lines.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post

It's like a big company run by rich white guys who specifically target a poorer, ethnic minority with a product designed to profit from a stereotype... hey, those people smoke a lot so let's make a cheap cigarette with ads targeting them!

"Specially designed for music production" as opposed to what, Focal Twins?
I think what they mean is designed for home studio music makers - as opposed to their higher end stuff you might imagine is for mix engineers, mastering and pros who make a living off having very accurate monitors...it does make sense to have an affordable range if they are good IMO...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I think what they mean is designed for home studio music makers - as opposed to their higher end stuff you might imagine is for mix engineers, mastering and pros who make a living off having very accurate monitors...it does make sense to have an affordable range if they are good IMO...
i also think, a range at that price point makes sense. for rehearsal rooms, bedrooms as concurence to all the rokits, m audio speakers etc., if they deliver a bit of focal sound at that price point. i always had a few pair of speakers in different locations, so if you have a reference around the places, that get you nearby the sound of what you used too at your main room, that is nice. i have a pair of cms40 for travelling, a pair of cms 50 for mixing home and the spirit headphones, and there is a sound that i am used to in all of those. i imagine the alpha 50 to work for the rehearsal space to do some occacional recordings there. there is also this new fender focal collaboration, thats interesting in this context.
forgot the name. studio monitors as a travel pack.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

the 8" version would be good as a pair of loud monitors to check mixes or even just to bump music

I would love to be able to add them in addition to my CMS 65.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

interesting they go lower in frq than the solo6/twin but not higher.
(35hz-22khz).
solo6/twin seem to have been very popular and high rated for their sound.
wonder how the new ones compare.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

The new Alpha line's cabinets are huge! The dimensions of the Alpha 50's are nearly identical,to that of my Adam A7's.
Just as deep,about an inch less in height and an inch more in width.The mid range clarity of my A7's are not that clear and they are a major disappointment for $1,000 that I paid for them....in that respect.
Monitors in general,seemed to have improved and become more affordable in recent years and I hope the Alpha line are among such monitors.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'd rather get the CMS on Sweetwaters 3 Payment Plan. Price point products usually leave an aftertaste that could have been quenched with spending just a small bit more.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
I'd rather get the CMS on Sweetwaters 3 Payment Plan. Price point products usually leave an aftertaste that could have been quenched with spending just a small bit more.
Focal's CMS-50's are priced just under $1400 for the pair,vs. the Alpha's price of just under $700 per pair.
That being said,how is twice the price,considered just a small bit more??

I couldn't find any information on what country the Alpha's are manufactured in,but since Focal has cut significant costs in their production budget for the Alpha's(and seemingly little compromise in quality,in contrast to the spec sheets on both),I would venture to say that the Alpha's are also made in France.

Aluminum is expensive and I wonder how important such a material is for acoustic quality,because most companies don't use this material.
Also...the Alpha line doesn't have the added expense of front controls,higher wattage and magnesium material in the tweeters...but has virtually the same drivers and similar SPL levels,which is encouraging.

As I pointed out earlier about my Adam A7's,price points don't always determine the best choice and since the Alpha line has a better LF response than the CMS line,the Alpha's have won me over(I don't have a basis for comparison,since I've never heard the CMS line)....but my budgetary concerns are a higher priority for me.

I was considering the Tannoy Reveal 502's,but Sweetwater doesn't carry them and the bottom end isn't quite as low as the Alpha's and I don't like Tannoy's paper LF cones.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandstudio91 View Post
Focal's CMS-50's are priced just under $1400 for the pair,vs. the Alpha's price of just under $700 per pair.
That being said,how is twice the price,considered just a small bit more??

I couldn't find any information on what country the Alpha's are manufactured in,but since Focal has cut significant costs in their production budget for the Alpha's(and seemingly little compromise in quality,in contrast to the spec sheets on both),I would venture to say that the Alpha's are also made in France.

Aluminum is expensive and I wonder how important such a material is for acoustic quality,because most companies don't use this material.
Also...the Alpha line doesn't have the added expense of front controls,higher wattage and magnesium material in the tweeters...but has virtually the same drivers and similar SPL levels,which is encouraging.

As I pointed out earlier about my Adam A7's,price points don't always determine the best choice and since the Alpha line has a better LF response than the CMS line,the Alpha's have won me over(I don't have a basis for comparison,since I've never heard the CMS line)....but my budgetary concerns are a higher priority for me.

I was considering the Tannoy Reveal 502's,but Sweetwater doesn't carry them and the bottom end isn't quite as low as the Alpha's and I don't like Tannoy's paper LF cones.
My statement was just a generalization. I didn't know how much these speakers were. However, the new Fender Passport uses Focal woofers and tweeters and is $600 for the pair.

Ever played a $500 Gibson though? Some companies aren't good at the price point game, even when they try really hard. Maybe these will be great! But cheap monitors usually always fall short somewhere. They wouldn't have Twin6's if they could make as good of a monitor for $700 a pair though.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
My statement was just a generalization. I didn't know how much these speakers were. However, the new Fender Passport uses Focal woofers and tweeters and is $600 for the pair.

Ever played a $500 Gibson though? Some companies aren't good at the price point game, even when they try really hard. Maybe these will be great! But cheap monitors usually always fall short somewhere. They wouldn't have Twin6's if they could make as good of a monitor for $700 a pair though.
I believe you were trying to make a point,with your "generalization" in your post....which was that; why buy a budget product,when you can spend a bit more for the high end product...but since most,if not all companies have big gaps between price points...then...what is your point??
Name me one budget line from a high end company that has similar price points,because I can't think of one off the top of my head?

Why generalize anyhow?As after all,this thread is specifically about the Focal Alpha's and you specifically mentioned the Focal CMS line,from a specific retailer.
That being said,one would have to assume,that you at least were aware what the price was for the CMS-50's...yes?
I didn't know specifically what the price was for the Alpha 50's myself(which is why I took the price info from the YouTube video i.e. the 250 euros per monitor that was mentioned and ran it through the Google Currency Converter).

As for hearing a Gibson,no...I have not...but then,I'm not a guitar player and we're not discussing guitars(but yeah,my ax-playing friends have apprised how how crucial it is to spend money on quality craftsmanship...on things such as pick-ups,bridges and the like).

Fender Passport Studio monitors??You do realize that these monitors are not
bi-amped,right?
Having only one amp in one cabinet,with only a single volume knob,are fairly good indications that the Fender monitors have been seriously compromised in quality,in favor of features such as a very rugged outer casing and it's ultra-portable design...with it's handles & such.
Hardly a product that I would consider relevant to this discussion.

You seem very dead set on spending a small fortune on products like the Focal Twin6's you mentioned and since you are tacitly fixed on this price point,why are you here on this thread?

Please....do some sort of research on a product before you post,so that others may have a somewhat pointed,constructive and interesting discussion...about a product.
Attached Thumbnails
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors-1600-passstudio_detail1.jpg   Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors-1600-passstudio_detail7.jpg   Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors-capture.png  
Old 16th March 2014
aoc
Gear Head

Hmm.. Event 20/20 vs Alpha 80, same price and size.
Old 16th March 2014
Event 20/20 are crap monitors.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I'm sure these are decent speakers (I love Focals) and I'm NOT trying to be outrageous but don't these "musician lines" kinda of smack of audio prejudice by elitist companies?

"Specially designed for music production" as opposed to what, Focal Twins? Genelc 1038's, Adam A7X etc. I guess those are too good for musicians? It would be one thing to market these products as entry-level or beginner speakers but to use the term "musician" in place of those is insulting... there are plenty of musicians around the world who know what they are doing, who appreciate good monitoring, and will spend the money to get it! These companies know there are endless wanna-be bedroom producers who will be lured-in by the name and thus they use these lines as a cash grab or as a way to sell people UP to their more expensive lines.
I thought about this and remembered the other day watching people checking monitors in the local music store. they often go for the more hifi ones, so maybe they just voice their cheap series also a bit different. the focal in the musicstore seemed to lose against other monitors, for the midrange qualities that i really like about them. i think it takes time and experience to figure out what serves you best. i myself started with mackies 824 for guitar music, which just didn't work out. but then i hope these gonna stick to the general voicing and qualities of focal.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
+1
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

Focal Alpha 65 goes down to 40Hz +-3dB ? - WOW, ... IF this is true. ( for comparison ADAM A7X go down to only 50Hz +-3dB )

Quote:
+1
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Focal Alpha 65 goes down to 40Hz +-3dB ? - WOW, ... IF this is true. ( for comparison ADAM A7X go down to only 50Hz +-3dB )

+1
The Adam AX7's frequency response is 42Hz to 50kHz.

See for yourself here; A7X - Technical Data | ADAM Audio GmbH

Who in their right mind,would spend $1500 on a pair monitors that only went down to 50Hz?Unless of course,someone was dead set on buying a pair of Genelecs and well...50Hz is sufficient for most genres of music though.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Adam AX7's frequency response is 42Hz to 50kHz.

See for yourself here;
The Adam AX7's frequency response is from 51Hz @-3dB

See for yourself here;

... or look at measurement in STEREOPLAY :
http://www.adam-audio.com/files/down...oplay_0810.pdf

or in 0dB
http://0db.pl/2010/05/18/badamy-adamy-a7x-recenzja/

Adam wrote fantasy/lies on their website.

Quote:
50Hz is sufficient for most genres of music though.
@-3dB? ... I dont think so, because in music what I listening, there is a lot of information in 40-50 Hz range.

Quote:
Unless of course,someone was dead set on buying a pair of Genelecs
???

Quote:
Who in their right mind,would spend $1500 on a pair monitors that only went down to 50Hz?
There is many users of A7X (51 Hz @ -3dB) ... and even more of Neumann KH120A (52 Hz @ -3dB)
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Adam AX7's frequency response is from 51Hz @-3dB

... or look at measurement in STEREOPLAY :
http://www.adam-audio.com/files/down...oplay_0810.pdf

or in 0dB
Badamy ADAMy A7X (recenzja) | Twój poziom odniesienia

Adam wrote fantasy/lies on their website.

@-3dB? ... I dont think so, because in music what I listening, there is a lot of information in 40-50 Hz range.

???

There is many users of A7X (51 Hz @ -3dB) ... and even more of Neumann KH120A (52 Hz @ -3dB)
If a company like Adam,fudges their numbers(assuming this data from the PDF file is accurate,as I can't read German or Polish),what makes you think Focal's Alpha line might be accurate??
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
If a company like Adam,fudges their numbers(assuming this data from the PDF file is accurate,as I can't read German or Polish),what makes you think Focal's Alpha line might be accurate??
I don't know that, so I wrote:

Quote:
Focal Alpha 65 goes down to 40Hz +-3dB ? - WOW, ... IF this is true.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search