The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 24th May 2015
Here for the gear
Thank you for reply. One more question - how fast monitors return to normal state? And how much signal do you send to them? And maybe one more question - what audio interface do you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
yes.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumenMedia View Post
Thank you for reply. One more question - how fast monitors return to normal state? And how much signal do you send to them? And maybe one more question - what audio interface do you use.
I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 connected to an Yamaha 01V mixer and from this to the monitors.
They return to normal state in 1 or 2 seconds but I don´t know how much level do I send and I don't know how to measure it.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Maniac
Thinking of selling my rokit 10-3's (3 way speakers) to buy the alpha 80 for my home studio. Good move? Or are the 10's better? I know my ears would definitely have to get used to the focals as the rokits probably have a lot more sound coming at you. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 31st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyo View Post
Thinking of selling my rokit 10-3's (3 way speakers) to buy the alpha 80 for my home studio. Good move? Or are the 10's better? I know my ears would definitely have to get used to the focals as the rokits probably have a lot more sound coming at you. Anyone care to chime in?
The word I would use to distinguish the difference between the Alpha 65 and 80's and the KRK is DEFINITION (well I'd add one more word LIFELIKE BASS). Now that's 3 words.

One more word BLACK or DARK, but not dull, in comparison to other monitors.

I have had a few lengthy listening sessions in the shops comparing Focal Alpha's, ERIS 8, Adam F5 and F7's. In their price range, these are the best.

A few more the Focal alphas sound very undistorted, almost like listening to a real band of musicians in a live environment, whereas many other speakers such as the KRK's make it quite clear to you that you are listening to a recording, cos they sound like music coming from a speaker.

The newer and better monitors (Adam, Focal, and Presonus Eris) sounded better to me than the KRK's and even clearly better more open than the Genelec 8030's.(this surprised me considering the reputation that Genelec's have). The Genelec would be good if you are mixing for broadcast, cos they sound a bit like a television of a good book shelf hi-fi stereo, i.e not much bass, but definitely not lifelike.

IN the end its more of a flavour preference between the three monitors which I considered adequate, but you will realise that they use different types of tweeter technology.

White Chocolate - Adam F7 and F5 - very clear high end, encourages you to boost the volume of the playback, cos the high end is very clean and undistorted, but by the time you push the volume to a level that you can hear well enough, the bass is a little bit overblown. At comfortable listening levels, something is missing in the mid range, so you get a top and bottom but no middle and the sound is disjointed, especially for vocals. I did not have the emotional connection to the sound. It was clinical, but not stirring.

Milk Chocolate - The Presonus Eris for the price and performance are very commendable, like the sound of a good hi-fi, all instruments come out very distinct. The bass is somewhat lacking in the very lowest frequencies. These in my opinion win out as an excellent balance between the high end slant of the Adams and the darkness of the Focals. The Eris also has the most in connectivity - RCA, TRS 1/4 inch, and Balanced XLR, with a full complement of gain and frequency tailoring tools.

Dark Chocolate - Focal Alpha 65's and the Alpha 80's. Definitely good speakers. A darker flavour, which make the Eris 8 sound bright compared to these. Missing some of the upper end of the other two of my favourites.

At the end of the day, its remarkable that we have such a decent choice of well made monitors from major manufacturers at this price, which was about the same price one would get Tannoys or Alesis active home studio monitors, about 12 years ago.

In my opinion, like microphones, start off with whichever does the most for you at this point in time, and which color you prefer. The Eris 8 is definitely a safe bet.

Then prepare to save up and get a slightly different flavour as an alternate reference.

I would definitely be happy with any of the Focal's and the Presonus, and an excellent monitor controller. Total cost in UK pounds £ - about £1000 eventually, but probably only if I did this for a living.

In my opinion to beat that combination, in a professional studio, you may need to spend a lot more.

I assume that the room has been properly treated acoustically !
Old 12th December 2016
Here for the gear

Alpha 80

Hy, I come back 2 years later, sorry . I used the 80's since 2 years now and I really really apreciate to work with these babies. For Electronic and Hip hop production you can't find better at the same price range.

Perfect? For sure no! We talk about 8' woofer that cost less than 1000E, so perfect is not what you want at this price (maybe in your dreams lol).

GOOD: -Production, because we have all we need for modern production. Like I said before the bass range is accurate and don't need to be boost. Good low ends!
-Don't kill your ears really smooth , well balanced and stay accurate. You can work with during hours and hours .
-Never stress low/Hight volume... It's always good!

BAD: -in my mix I found little too much of 100Hz (Maybe this is consequences of good response under 80 Hz that kills 100-120Hz response?...)
- When I mix Voices it seem's that alpha's are too sweet, 4kHz need a little boost. Moreover it seems that low mid don't come out at the good volume.
- Never never never stress for mix control I'm not sure it's a good thing.

So I think it was a good idea FOR ME to buy alpha 80, and when I want to do a stress test on my mix I use a 2.1 Phillips that cost 30$ . When my mix sounds good on alpha 80 and my Bull**** system , I'm sure that it will be good everywhere .
Old 13th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaem View Post
Hy, I come back 2 years later, sorry . I used the 80's since 2 years now and I really really apreciate to work with these babies. For Electronic and Hip hop production you can't find better at the same price range.

Perfect? For sure no! We talk about 8' woofer that cost less than 1000E, so perfect is not what you want at this price (maybe in your dreams lol).

GOOD: -Production, because we have all we need for modern production. Like I said before the bass range is accurate and don't need to be boost. Good low ends!
-Don't kill your ears really smooth , well balanced and stay accurate. You can work with during hours and hours .
-Never stress low/Hight volume... It's always good!

BAD: -in my mix I found little too much of 100Hz (Maybe this is consequences of good response under 80 Hz that kills 100-120Hz response?...)
- When I mix Voices it seem's that alpha's are too sweet, 4kHz need a little boost. Moreover it seems that low mid don't come out at the good volume.
- Never never never stress for mix control I'm not sure it's a good thing.

So I think it was a good idea FOR ME to buy alpha 80, and when I want to do a stress test on my mix I use a 2.1 Phillips that cost 30$ . When my mix sounds good on alpha 80 and my Bull**** system , I'm sure that it will be good everywhere .
Which Philips 2:1 is this? Any model #s you can share?
Old 23rd December 2016
Here for the gear

SPA 3500/10 these are not monitoring . The best stress test I found.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search