The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Thanks
Too bad the SOS review costs $$$ ):
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foomki100 View Post
Thanks
Unless you can wait 5/6 months, then they become free.

Also It`s sometimes worth checking on the manufaturers product page for paper magazine reviews which they let them release in pdf.

Not the case for the SOS one yet though I`m afraid.
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Maniac

I just wish they were just a bit brighter like Genelecs
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Genelec its way too bright isn't?
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks
SOS review tells wonders of them.
I love mine
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Maniac

I don't know, when i auditioned both the Genelec's and Alpha's i felt as if the Alphas lacked a little in the highs, they felt a little off when compared to the Genelec's, maybe more "natural" sounding, but not as detailed, but of course it's not fair to compare when you think about the price, for the price the Focal's are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacnadon View Post
Genelec its way too bright isn't?
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Can you elaborate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
SOS review tells wonders of them.
I love mine
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can you elaborate?
I'm sorry, I'm not an engineer so it's difficult to elaborate for me regarding monitors.
They just sound great. I had Equators D8 before and they rattled at low frequencies and the lows seemed too blurred. Returned them and orderes the Focal Alphas 65.
They seem very equilibrated. I can hear all the spectrum clearly and my untreated room doesn't have so much effect on the perception of sound as the Equators.

If you can, read the SOS review. It's for sure more elaborated and written in a better English than me.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
You can solve that with the included adjustable treble levels.
Old 13th February 2015
Here for the gear

So I have read that these have better bass then the CMS ? Out of alpha, CMS, Equator D's, Event Opals in order what would you take for techno and why ? I am pre paired to spend the money on opals but if these are near them I will give them a shot at less then half the price. I have heard these sound like opals do not know how true this is.
Old 14th February 2015
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infusivemusic View Post
So I have read that these have better bass then the CMS ? Out of alpha, CMS, Equator D's, Event Opals in order what would you take for techno and why ? I am pre paired to spend the money on opals but if these are near them I will give them a shot at less then half the price. I have heard these sound like opals do not know how true this is.
I don't know if the bass is better, but the Alpha 65 and 80 go lower than the CMS65. CMS65 = 45HZ, Alpha 65 = 40 HZ, Alpha 80 = 35HZ.

I make techno too (like Stroboscopic Artefacts / CLR Germany labels)

Don't over think it too much. You can make techno with any decent monitor as long as you learn to make them translate.
Old 18th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx View Post
I don't know if the bass is better, but the Alpha 65 and 80 go lower than the CMS65. CMS65 = 45HZ, Alpha 65 = 40 HZ, Alpha 80 = 35HZ.

I make techno too (like Stroboscopic Artefacts / CLR Germany labels)

Don't over think it too much. You can make techno with any decent monitor as long as you learn to make them translate.
You are very right very true. No mater what speakers you get you will have to learn them as well translate your mixes. Although it has been proven monitors can help that and also help fatigue on the ears. I have mixed on higher end monitors to the compared to the lower end ones and have done better mixes on them. My kicks and bass and mixes just thump and sound better. I actually went on craigslist list bough a bunch of lower end monitors to see if i can catch a diamond in the rough and did not have much luck. I did like the Equator's though but you they very good a like a new NS-10 or put one of them as a center speaker for mono mixing reference and you are gold.

I think like most people in techno I am looking for something with power, a lot of truth but a little smooth sounding. Sure i can get a pair of adam's etc with a sub but I want something more direct and easy on the ears. Seems focal is the way I should be looking or like some have said just get it over with and buy the Opals.

I look at this was way when I was younger Tech 1200 turn tables cost a lot for me or any other kid. I tried to buy gemini, numark all the tables that came out 100,200,300 dollars cheaper then a 1200. Sure i can beat match very well and even did great on the lower end turntables but when I spun on 1200's I was much smoother, more confident and more in the groove and less aggravated over the setup i was playing on.
Old 19th February 2015
rjx
Lives for gear

I too have a DJ background and I used to spin only 1200 mk2's. The thing back then, 1200's had no competition. They were built like a tank, very durable, excellent quality. Cuing, the plates, tonearm, etc, felt great and allowed the DJ to have complete confidence. But with monitors it's different. There's a lot of quality competition at all price ranges and really good quality offerings at lower prices, unlike turntables back then when I was spinning vinyl.

If you're seriously considering the Opals, if you haven't already, take a look at the less expensive Eve SC208's. You can get a pair of SC208's + $1000 room treatment (you'll need it) for the price of a pair of Opals. Another great monitor to consider for the same price as the Opals is the Unity Rock II. But these are luxury monitors and not needed to make great Techno tracks.
Old 20th February 2015
You should check Adam A77x. Flawless monitors!
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Maniac

I`ve just had some Alpha 65s here now for over a week now, a bit of background and thoughts:

I`ve been searching for some new monitors for a while and so far in my space had tried kh120a and Quested S7R. The 120s were nice little speakers with great mids resolution and imaging but I had trouble with them as they caused me ear fatigue, just couldn`t get on with the tweeter. I then tried the Questeds which I got on much better with. They were a lot less fatiguing, really natural sounding and involving, particularly in the vocal range. However I returned them with one of the reasons being the bass extension only goes to ~65Hz on the S7s and the S8s were just too big for my space. I also did not want to have to deal with sub integration for now.

A few months later, starting the search again I ordered the Alpha 50s in and was pretty impressed with them. They have a decent punch and bass extension and I didn`t find them particularly fatiguing. Because of their relatively small size, desktop placement was pretty straightforward too. I still felt however that I could do with a bit more bass extension! I decided to order the 65s along side them with the ability to return either pair. The extra 5Hz stated bass extension to 40Hz on the 65s, just made the music sit better for me, with more intelligible low notes. The bigger cabinet also makes them sound more effortless than the 50s.

I ended up returning the 50s and happily have the 65s sitting on some isoacoustic stands in front of me now. I would say though it`s useful to have a roller chair to check further back sometimes if you`re sitting close!

The overall sound is still changing at the moment, and there have been a few aha! moments in the burn in period. The sounds starts off quite competent but restrained. The bass is the first thing to open up, then in stages the the mids an the highs improve. I`ve particularly noticed stereo field improving in the last couple of days, with the phantom centre becoming more defined. Vocals are sitting better in the centre, percussive sounds crystalizing more precisely etc.

Due to the price it`s probably unfair to compare these to the 120s and the S7s. Any comparison I make will be from memory aswell which is obviously not the best. However I would say they posess a strong set of characteristics which doesn`t make it ridiculous to be talking about them in the same post . I also have ended up choosing them over the other two as they tick more boxes for me:

-Easy enough on my ears ** (see edit below)
-Decent clean bass extension
-Decent stereo image
-Can work in a desktop situation - 65s just fitting the upper limit here.

The one thing that would have made my life easier would have been some global gain controls, maybe to -15 or 20dB on the back. I`m running an SPL Crimson into them and in order to get the gain staging running optimally for everything, I`m getting a NOS McOne passive controller to attenuate the signal in between. Not the end of the world here at least, as it gives more flexibility in other ways too, but something to be aware of if your gain staging is not set ideally for max monitor input.

Overall though, I`m very happy with them so far!

----

**edit: started getting a bit of fatigue after a while, so trying something else now. Other good points still stand.

----

Last edited by 4tune; 14th March 2015 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: update
Old 27th February 2015
Here for the gear

I detected hiss when my IMPS Monitor works near. When the monitor is turned off there are no any hiss or buzz, immediately. So i'm trying now combine with surge protectors and voltage regulators. Because one time there was no any noises.
Old 1st March 2015
Gear Maniac

Is the Alpha 65 the best option in this price range?
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Head

My room is about 12' wide by 17' long. I have panels on the walls and traps in the corners. I am upgrading from Yamaha HS80M's. Would it be better to go with the Alpha 65's, or 80's? I don't plan on using a sub right now. Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2015
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice9 View Post
My room is about 12' wide by 17' long. I have panels on the walls and traps in the corners. I am upgrading from Yamaha HS80M's. Would it be better to go with the Alpha 65's, or 80's? I don't plan on using a sub right now. Thanks.
Big, treated room.
Was / is using HS80M's

Alpha 80 would be my choice. Unless you want a little less low end.

Personally I'd keep the HS80M's (since you're familiar with them) and get a 2nd pair of smaller monitors to compliment them. A small pair w/o much going on in the low end for checking the mids and highs. Something like a Focal CMS 40.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Big, treated room.
Was / is using HS80M's

Alpha 80 would be my choice. Unless you want a little less low end.

Personally I'd keep the HS80M's (since you're familiar with them) and get a 2nd pair of smaller monitors to compliment them. A small pair w/o much going on in the low end for checking the mids and highs. Something like a Focal CMS 40.
Thanks for the reply. I went with the 80's.

Last edited by ice9; 2nd March 2015 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2nd March 2015
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice9 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I went with the 80's.
Please share your thoughts after you've burned them in.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the quality of low end compared to the HS80M's.
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Maniac

The 80's have insane amout of bass...but i only auditioned them at a store, so i'm not sure.
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Maniac

I have the 50's and they have loads of bass, can't imagine what the 80's must be like!
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Head

Breaking in too loud?

Quote:
Please share your thoughts after you've burned them in.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the quality of low end compared to the HS80M's.
I just got them today. They sound great so far. I'm planning on burning them in for a few days and see how they sound.

I hope I didn't mess up. I started burning them in with Darkside of the Moon, then did the First RATM album, then Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I had the volume up maybe more than I should have to get the cones really moving. I was searching GS and saw that some people say to be gentle and keep the volume down for the first day then higher the next, etc. I have switched to Jazz at a lower volume for now, but hopefully I haven't hurt anything.
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Sadly the ear fatigue showed up for me with the focals after a while, so they have gone back. Not the worst culprits for fatigue but trying a different set now.

Still think they are good value if you get on with them.
Old 23rd May 2015
Here for the gear
For those who purchased Alpha - how is your AutoStanby mode working? I cant return them to working mode after they went to Autostandby. I use TC-Electronics Desktop Konnekt 6 audio interface, nothing special about it. When Alpha 65 went to Auto standby, Focal logo is off and sound muted. Manual said - you need to send some audio signal to monitors to return them from standby. I raise my volume, but nothing happend. The only way to return them to working mode is switch them off and then swith on.
Concerning sound quality - this is one of the best for that money. I had Adam F5, JBL LSR 305 and now Focal Alpha 65. Difference in details of sound is tremendous. You can hear detailed mids, easy to listen every detail of your EQ or compressors, very deep and detailed low end, smooth highs, very accurate, without too expanded stereo, as it was with ADAMs. Overall quality of my mixing improved a lot.
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumenMedia View Post
For those who purchased Alpha - how is your AutoStanby mode working? I cant return them to working mode after they went to Autostandby. I use TC-Electronics Desktop Konnekt 6 audio interface, nothing special about it. When Alpha 65 went to Auto standby, Focal logo is off and sound muted. Manual said - you need to send some audio signal to monitors to return them from standby. I raise my volume, but nothing happend. The only way to return them to working mode is switch them off and then swith on.
Concerning sound quality - this is one of the best for that money. I had Adam F5, JBL LSR 305 and now Focal Alpha 65. Difference in details of sound is tremendous. You can hear detailed mids, easy to listen every detail of your EQ or compressors, very deep and detailed low end, smooth highs, very accurate, without too expanded stereo, as it was with ADAMs. Overall quality of my mixing improved a lot.
my AutoStanby in working perfectly. just send some audio signal (not too low) and they turn on again. a marvelous feature!
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
my AutoStanby in working perfectly. just send some audio signal (not too low) and they turn on again. a marvelous feature!
Old 24th May 2015
Here for the gear
Did Focal Logo off when monitors went to Auto Standby mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Did Focal Logo off when monitors went to Auto Standby mode?
yes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search