The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 17th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Can anyone post impressions on the Alpha 80?
also, is there any reason to worry because they use a paper cone? which doesn't sound too durable...
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Nut

I am also interested in the Focal Alpha line. However, due to the size dimensions of my room 18' x 9' x 8', I am thinking about getting the Focal Alpha 50's. I don't want to get a sub as I live in an apartment and wouldn't want to rattle the neighbors with electronic music production and mixing at 4am. In general, I also tend to prefer to work at relatively lower volumes than other people. My room is lightly treated (some acoustic foam on the walls, bookshelf behind my listening position, rug under my listening position and some strategically placed drawers, shelves, and furniture in the corners of my room).

I'm assuming since these are still relatively new monitors, that is why I am not seeing these to preview in the listening rooms of any GC's or the local SamAsh and other gear shops in my area. So I am trying my best to get a lot of info on these monitors from reviews and forums.

My selections at the moment are between the Focal Alpha 50's and the JBL LSR305's. They're a significant difference in price… obviously would love to go with the less expensive JBL's but if they Focal Alpha's are on point as better tools to mix with then I would throw down on them (budgeting myself to around $800 for a pair of new monitors)… just have no way to listen to them it seems the local audio gear shops don't even carry them at the moment.

Thanks all.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Nut
hi anyone with experiences using the Focal Alpha 65?
i'm considering these myself, Alpha 80 would be too big of a size for placement,
my room is 3,6 to 4 meters with 3 meters high ceiling, so it's like 16m2,
I mostly do electronic music (tech house, progressive trance, chill out) so having a good tight and punchy bass is important to me,
looking for an analytical,revealing,non fatiguing,honest, monitor,
also anyone compared Alpha 65 vs CMS 65
thanks
Old 23rd November 2014
Gear Maniac

Hello, i auditioned the Alpha 80's and i must say they are great, but something weird was going on...
first of all i have to say that i'm an audiophile so i don't need them for studio work.
so as i said,i audioned them in the store, not in the best conditions, they sounded HUGE in comparison to other monitors i auditioned that same day(Adam A5X and EVE SC205 for example), it was amazing, details are great also, the bass is CRAZY, i could not belive my ears, everything sounded fine, but i had a little problem with the sound, i'm not sure if they an EQ on or something, but it was very obvious that something was wrong with the mids, what i mean is , that on all songs, songs i know well, vocals sounded distand and guitars also, it was very clear , and happened on all of the songs,when i got closer to the speakers it sounded better, i dont know if it's the positioning in the store, or there was some sort of EQ on or something but it was weird.
i almost bough them on the spot, but that problem bothered me so i didn't.
oh and btw, they only had lousy MP3's on the computer and not FLAC, so take that into consideration.
Can someone from Focal comment on the mids? and any other info will help also.
Thanks.
Old 29th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Has anyone else had the same problem with the mids?
Old 29th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by foomki100 View Post
Can anyone post impressions on the Alpha 80?
also, is there any reason to worry because they use a paper cone? which doesn't sound too durable...
Paper cones are pretty durable...or at least that's been the case with NS10 cones!
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not at all. The 65 are great and the support team at Focal is excellent!
Old 29th November 2014
Gear Maniac

I can get the Dyanaudio BM5a MKII for the same price of the Alpha's 80, has anyone had a chance to compare? i know that the Focal's is considered "entry level" so i'm not sure they are at the same level, on the other hand the Focal's are newer so maybe they are good.
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Alpha's to higher end monitors as the Dynaudio's and the Neumann KH120 for example? Thanks.
Old 30th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speakers with a woofer size of 8" will always have the mids a little of. Even the old big Genelecs had the mids tucked in a bit. Smaller speakers will be more forward. It takes more energy to move the bigger woofer. I would go with the 65's and a subwoofer if you need the low end response.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info.
Do you think they are on the level of the Dynaudio's?
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Head

Originally Posted by JohnBeat View Post
Hi all,
I recently got a pair of Alpha 80s. I'm happy with the sound in general terms.
However, the other day I stayed working in the studio until really early in the morning (4:00am isn) when everything is really quiet you know... I started hearing a noise and began turning everything off, trying to find out what was causing it. Well it turns out it is the Alpha speakers! They make this hum when turned on, really soft but audible when in complete silence. Speaker self-noise?? The only other thing in my studio that makes that kind of noise just by being on is my old Juno 106. I'm wondering if this is normal and if it's happening to other Alpha owners. I had many chances over the years to listen to my previous monitors in absolute silence and they never did (they were active too). Just to be clear, this is not noise coming from dirty power or earthing problems, etc, it is just the sound of the speaker being ON. It's not a big deal, but it made me curious about the quality of the components inside... I also wonder if this happens with the CMS series.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

hey, still waiting for an answer...
Anyone has a pair of alphas?
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi all,
I recently got a pair of Alpha 80s. I'm happy with the sound in general terms.
However, the other day I stayed working in the studio until really early in the morning (4:00am isn) when everything is really quiet you know... I started hearing a noise and began turning everything off, trying to find out what was causing it. Well it turns out it is the Alpha speakers! They make this hum when turned on, really soft but audible when in complete silence. Speaker self-noise?? The only other thing in my studio that makes that kind of noise just by being on is my old Juno 106. I'm wondering if this is normal and if it's happening to other Alpha owners. I had many chances over the years to listen to my previous monitors in absolute silence and they never did (they were active too). Just to be clear, this is not noise coming from dirty power or earthing problems, etc, it is just the sound of the speaker being ON. It's not a big deal, but it made me curious about the quality of the components inside... I also wonder if this happens with the CMS series.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

hey, still waiting for an answer...
Anyone has a pair of alphas?
Alphas 65 here. They´re great. No noise. Just the usual with amplified speakers.
Old 5th December 2014
Has anyone fron the USA have tried both the normal nd the Zen Pro Mod edition?
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Another alpha review here for those interested, a very positive take from recordingmag.com

- Focal Alpha 50 and Alpha 80 Monitors : Featured Reviews : Recording Magazine -
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Alpha 65 to Alpha 80?
Is there any reason to get one over the other?
Thanks.
Old 8th December 2014
Quote:
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Alpha 65 to Alpha 80?
Is there any reason to get one over the other?
Thanks.
If you have a small room you should go with Alpha 65.
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks.
Have you heard both?
Is everything exactly the same and the only difference is the 80's have more bass than the 65's?
Thanks.
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Hi I bought the alpha 65's.
A few questions
The highs seem a bit dull in comparison with the Dynaudios and Genelecs I heard at that store, even with a 3db boost.
Will that change with burn in?
Can anyone tell me the difference in sound before and after burn in?
How many hours does the burn in take?
Thanks.
Old 9th December 2014
in focal it usually takes between 50 to 100 hours. But the thing is that dynaudios and gens have boosted highs, I always used them at -2 or -3 in highs, then they sounded fine.
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Please help, i'm kind of confused and don't know if i shoud return the Focal's to webstore i got them from.

When i listened to a Radiohead song on the Dynaudio's and Genelec's and Neumann KH120 in the store ,they sounded different of course, but somehow similar, i could hear all of the details clearly, on the Focal's i can hear the same details, but they are less clear, and i have make an effort to hear them.
it's like some of the sounds are "burried"
i'm listening in a small and untreated room btw.

so my question is this:
Why do you think this is happening?
I have my theories:
1.The Focal's are "low end" and maybe that's the reason, they just lack clarity.
2. The Dynaudio's Genelec's and Neumann KH120 are all bright monitors in comparison with the Focal, and i like bright sound.
3. Lack of Break in time might be the cause of this.

Can someone help me?
Does anyone else feel like they lack HF?
Thanks.
Old 12th December 2014
All of your three statements are true. Focals have a forward midrange but highs are dull while Dyns and Gens are brighter monitors with dipped mids. Also Focals usually take about 100 hours to burning in.
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the help.
Regarding the burn in,Doesn't the burn in effects mostly the woofer and not the tweeter? So I'm guessing the highs won't be a lot better even after the burn in.
If they won't get brighter and livelier after burn in I would be forced to send them back, and I would hate doing that because I like the bass and mids.
Old 12th December 2014
Burning in affects both because it also affects the amps which are probably the 50% of the sound. Have you tried to raise the highs with the control in the rear or maybe an eq as the last effect in you bus master?
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Hi, I raised the highs with the +3db (sorry my english is not so good)
I haven't thought about the amps, you are right, maybe the sound will change.
I don't want to use EQ, i want true sound (:
Old 13th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Alpha series to the CMS series? Is there a huge difference?
Old 14th December 2014
Here for the gear

Just found some pictures from the web showing inside of Alpha 65. The power amp is TDA7294. Any comments on this IC chip??
??????? Focal Alpha ?????? 50/65/80-??????????
Old 14th December 2014
I would say " a chinese translator" better xD
Old 18th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Alpha 65 are reviewed in the January 2015 Soundonsound.

Subscription only/pay-per-read at the moment, but a very interesting review:

Product Review - Focal Alpha 65
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Head

Focal Alpha 80 - Very initial impressions

1) This is my first pair of studio monitors, so I have nothing against which to compare.
2) However, I do know how to listen.
3) My room is currently untreated (that will change).
4) All impressions include the Alphas on IsoAcoustics stands.
5) I accept the theory that if the monitors fit into your room, they will be OK. (Aside from a closet, maybe.) Mine is a spare bedroom about 13'x10' with a couple odd slanted walls. I am not going to be in this room forever; nor am I interested in buying new equipment any time my physical situation changes. I plan on having these monitors for a long time.
6) They are pretty harsh right out of the box. I am still into a burn-in period where I crank the volume way up and leave the room (or house). They are mellowing significantly with a lot of high volume burn in.
7) The highs, mids, and lows all are pretty much equally forward. And to my ears, everything sounds pretty darn good.
8) After more burn-in, I will play with the shelving settings a little to tweak the highs and lows.
9) The only problem I am having so far: When I have my iMac connected to the RCA inputs, the monitors are quiet. When I have the XLR inputs connected to my audio interface (Focusrite 18i20), the monitors are quiet. But when I have the RCA and XLRs connected (with 18i20 OFF) at the same time, I get a ground hum.
10) For the type of music I intend to compose (electronic with some acoustic instruments), I feel that these will be excellent monitors.
11) Even without room treatment (yet), these are just sounding better and better. Even with them pretty close to a wall (one of the reasons I wanted front ported monitors).
12) They do seem to bother my tinnitus, but I doubt that that is a Focal specific issue.
13) I live out in the boonies, so there was no way to listen to these before purchase. I did a lot of research and received good input from my Sweetwater rep as to what would fit MY needs. Obviously, monitor buying is a very personal choice.
14) So far, I give them a "two thumbs up."
Old 5th January 2015
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search