The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpegius View Post
Hi,
any of you have purchased the alpha 65? I am very interested on this model for electronic/tech music production in a early-reflections room treated and i'm looking for opinions and impressions about.

My other choices are Presonus Eris 8, for affordable price and 8" cone, and Adam F7.

thx
I'm admittedly an amateur when it comes to studio equipment. I have been in plenty of them though as a recording artist and the yamaha hs80's are in our recording studio, I have had the adam f7's and have heard a bunch of the affordable ones around below and above 800 a pair. I won't hesitate in saying that the focal alpha 65's imo are a lot better than the f7's. They have a fuller midrange and better dynamics and clarity. I got mine in today and have been grinning non stop with content. They Adams f7's are softer sounding and the bass isnt as tight/controlled. I can hear the texture a lot better down low on the 65's. They have good balance with some sparkle to reveal sibilants and bite/knock pretty hard without being really bright. Its almost as if everything sounds bold and slightly hard without being grainy. This imo is not the smooth kick back listen but remind me of what the focal spirit pro headphones sound like in balance and tuning which is clear, dynamic, balanced and with a tight low end.

I am beyond pleased! Actually blown away
Old 28th August 2014
Here for the gear

Wow thanks for your detailed feedback Nepheshdust!
Your impressions have definitively dispelled my doubts, i will also go with the Focal!
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hello again guys!

What would you recommend for a 5,3 (L) x 3,1 (W) x 2,8 (H) m room? Alpha 80 or 65? I'm wondering if the cut at 40hz on the 65 will be enough... The difference in price is 100 euros only so it won't really be a problem. I think I'm answering my question already
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Old 3rd September 2014
With that room size I wouldn't be concerned with the 80s, they'll perform well - and to say our mantra: they'll perform even better if the room is treated.
Old 4th September 2014
You'll need good room treatment because from what I've heard the 80's have tons of bass!
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. I have plenty of bass traps in almost every corner possible of my room so I guess I willl be fine then.
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Sonicscoop have an Alpha 65 review. The writer uses are Genelec 1029s so a more studio oriented review. They come out pretty well here:

Review: Focal Alpha 65 Active 2-Way Near Field Monitor — by Carmen Borgia : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community
Old 27th September 2014
Gear Head

Hi all,
I recently got a pair of Alpha 80s. I'm happy with the sound in general terms.
However, the other day I stayed working in the studio until really early in the morning (4:00am isn) when everything is really quiet you know... I started hearing a noise and began turning everything off, trying to find out what was causing it. Well it turns out it is the Alpha speakers! They make this hum when turned on, really soft but audible when in complete silence. The only other thing in my studio that makes that kind of noise just by being on is my old Juno 106. I'm wondering if this is normal and if it's happening to other Alpha owners. I had many chances over the years to listen to my previous monitors in absolute silence and they never did (they were active too). Just to be clear, this is not noise coming from dirty power or earthing problems, etc, it is just the sound of the speaker being ON. It's not a big deal, but it made me curious about the quality of the components inside... I also wonder if this happens with the CMS series.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeat View Post
Hi all,
However, the other day I stayed working in the studio until really early in the morning (4:00am isn) when everything is really quiet you know... I started hearing a noise and began turning everything off, trying to find out what was causing it. Well it turns out it is the Alpha speakers! They make this hum when turned on, really soft but audible when in complete silence. The only other thing in my studio that makes that kind of noise just by being on is my old Juno 106. I'm wondering if this is normal and if it's happening to other Alpha owners. I had many chances over the years to listen to my previous monitors in absolute silence and they never did (they were active too). Just to be clear, this is not noise coming from dirty power or earthing problems, etc, it is just the sound of the speaker being ON. It's not a big deal, but it made me curious about the quality of the components inside... I also wonder if this happens with the CMS series.
I'm curious too, since I'm planning buying the 6,5.
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hi Guys, i've just bought Alpha 65, and i have this problem with electrical hum!!!! When signal comes to Alpha - they started humming, that hum ended only after reset monitors. So here we are...
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterStorm View Post
Hi Guys, i've just bought Alpha 65, and i have this problem with electrical hum!!!! When signal comes to Alpha - they started humming, that hum ended only after reset monitors. So here we are...
Do you still have the hum without any audio cables attached?

Did you tried to switch them on without any cables and directly from another electric outlet?

I'm really interested since I'm planning to buy these monitors also.
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

A little bit pre-history, i bought Tannoy Reveal 502 month ago, they are hummig so strog and terrible, so i recieved they to the shop. After that i bought Alpha 65 from internet store, i didnt listed they and i didnt know that they are humming too!!!
Its a f*cking big problem for me...Again the second pair of monitors are humming. Alpha buzz is much less that Tannoy Reveals, and buzz ended after reboot. Reveals started buzz after power ON. Hope that review will help you.
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
Do you still have the hum without any audio cables attached?

Did you tried to switch them on without any cables and directly from another electric outlet?

I'm really interested since I'm planning to buy these monitors also.
So, i did a few tests now.
Buzz come from my audio card (Native Instruments Audio 8) with music, when i turn off any music - buzz stayed, BUT, if i disconnect audio cables from Alphas - buzz ended. Conclusion - in that situation i think buzz came from audio interface, because if i disconnect audioi cables - buzz ended. In situation with Tannoy buzz came immediately after i switched ON power on monitors, witout any cables connection.
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
So, i did a few tests now.
Buzz come from my audio card (Native Instruments Audio 8) after signal comes with music, when i turn off any music - buzz stayed, BUT, if i disconnect audio cables from Alphas - buzz ended. Conclusion - in that situation i think buzz came from audio interface, because if i disconnect audioi cables - buzz ended. In situation with Tannoy buzz came immediately after i switched ON power on monitors, witout any cables connection.
ok. There is no problem with the Focal Alpha's, right?
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
ok. There is no problem with the Focal Alpha's, right?
Really dont know, i'm only described my situation.
Another thing that can make a difference - outside the my windows go the tram tracks. The housing stock is old, the end of the 19 th century. Maybe it affects - but I'm not sure

About sound, Alpha's has super-mega bass power, meanwhile Reveals have the deepers hi-end. Yes, i want to say that Reveals more deeper that Alphas. But Alphas 65 have sub-bass, 502 didnt have sub. And Tannoys maybe a little embellished sound. BUT! on Reveals very clearly hear the difference between 128 kbps and 320, cant say same about Alphas.
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

You can listen it here
Focal Alpha 65 buzz - YouTube
Focal Alpha 65 sound test

YEAH!!! I won this battle.
I accidentally turned off my computer monitor (IPS) and buzz ended! Then i switch ON monitor and buzz came again.
After that i disconnected monitor cable from my Uninterruptible Power Supply and turned it to another outlet and THAT WAS A KEY! Buzz ended! The problem is closed.
Yeah I forgot to say that I have Uninterruptible Power Supply. Hope i helped someone.
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can listen it here
Focal Alpha 65 buzz - YouTube
Focal Alpha 65 sound test

YEAH!!! I won this battle.
I accidentally turned off my computer monitor (IPS) and buzz ended! Then i switch ON monitor and buzz came again.
After that i disconnected monitor cable from my Uninterruptible Power Supply and turned it to another outlet and THAT WAS A KEY! Buzz ended! The problem is closed.
Yeah I forgot to say that I have Uninterruptible Power Supply. Hope i helped someone.
Great news!

btw - you might want to put your Alpha on some IsoAcoustic stands:
Adjustable Audio Speaker Stands Best Sound Speaker Stand

would make a LOT of difference in terms of clarity.
Old 24th October 2014
So, I have only had one brief listening session on my Alpha 50s that I received this week. First impression- I am amazed by the low end. It's really deep and not sloppy. It definitely outshines my Yamaha HS-50s in that dept. My only critique is that is that some of the upper mid range seems a bit tucked back. Guitars and vocals don't sound quite as up front as I'm used to from the Yamahas. The tippy top end sounds a hair on the hard side but so do the Yamahas and I still prefer the Alphas by quite a margin on the top end. Overall, I'm happy with them. Music is much more fun to listen to on these. For the price, I think they are tough to beat.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear
I received my Alpha 65 and I'm amazed how good they sound!
A lot better than the Equator D8 I returned.
Great for non treated spaces, great bass, detailed and strong, great 3d sense of space. Highs not too hyped.
Excellent!
Old 24th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianof1 View Post
My only critique is that is that some of the upper mid range seems a bit tucked back. Guitars and vocals don't sound quite as up front as I'm used to from the Yamahas.
That critique may sound a bit negative for focal but i see it the other way around :-)

Considering that the HS50's are without a doubt very forward in the high mids i would say that the Alpha's are probably just right
Old 24th October 2014
+1

As a HS50m user I agree with TekBoT!
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hi! Are the Alpha 80 good as midfield monitors?
I just need a pair of good speakers to play my Nord C2D, not for mixing, but I don't wanna buy PA speakers 'cause they would be overkill for home use or a keyboard speaker 'cause they are not so good.
I was considering the KRK VXT 8, but a pair of Focal costs €300 less.
What do you think?
Old 29th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
Great news!

I have a question for you

Since the Alpha 80's have a larger woofer do they have an advantage conveying bass over the CMS series and even the Solos?

I ask because they are stated as going down to 35 Hz (-3d) however the Solos go down to 40 Hz with only a -2dB dip if I understand the specs right.

Basically, if my main concern is hearing bass well, and have a large projection so I get a sense of size from the music, especially dance music, should I consider the Alpha 80's even over the CMS and Solo line?

PS I used to own the CMS 65's and always wanted a bit more bass extension from them. I demoed the Solos and was a lot happier with the bass. Felt really good, but still deeper can help in my case.

Thanks!
Old 29th October 2014
Also, what's the self noise like on the Alphas? Self noise drives me crazy. I think I remember the CMS65's being very clean in this regard, but it's been a while now.
Old 31st October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
Great news!

Thanks a lot, will try it !
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
I have a question for you

Since the Alpha 80's have a larger woofer do they have an advantage conveying bass over the CMS series and even the Solos?

I ask because they are stated as going down to 35 Hz (-3d) however the Solos go down to 40 Hz with only a -2dB dip if I understand the specs right.

Basically, if my main concern is hearing bass well, and have a large projection so I get a sense of size from the music, especially dance music, should I consider the Alpha 80's even over the CMS and Solo line?

PS I used to own the CMS 65's and always wanted a bit more bass extension from them. I demoed the Solos and was a lot happier with the bass. Felt really good, but still deeper can help in my case.

Thanks!
If you liked the Solo's, I can imagine the twins would be your best bet! They do have more authority in the lows, compared to the Solo's! :-)
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeat View Post
Hi all,
However, the other day I stayed working in the studio until really early in the morning (4:00am ish) when everything is really quiet you know... I started hearing a noise and began turning everything off, trying to find out what was causing it. Well it turns out it is the Alpha speakers! They make this hum when turned on, really soft but audible when in complete silence. The only other thing in my studio that makes that kind of noise just by being on is my old Juno 106. I'm wondering if this is normal and if it's happening to other Alpha owners. I had many chances over the years to listen to my previous monitors in absolute silence and they never did (they were active too). Just to be clear, this is not noise coming from dirty power or earthing problems, etc, it is just the sound of the speaker being ON. It's not a big deal, but it made me curious about the quality of the components inside... I also wonder if this happens with the CMS series.
Hey, still curious...

Could someone who owns a pair of Focal Alphas just check around 4 am when it's completely silent, or if you have a completely isolated studio room, without any audio cables connected to your speakers and EVERYTHING in your studio off including computer and sound card and report if there is any noise when turning the speakers on? I'm referring to the kind of noise you wouldn't notice unless you really pay attention.

btw, electricity is clean in my studio thanks to a furman power conditioner with filters, so I doubt the noise is due to dirty power.
Old 4th November 2014
Here for the gear

Hi guys!

I got a pair of Alpha 65 and I do enjoy them... but I think their too big for my studio room. I'm thinking in changing them over a pair of CMS50

Is this a good option? I will probably lose low end response over CMS50 (55hz vs 40hz from Alpha65) but overall the CMS50 do sound better right? One of my options is to get a nice sub bass like the Adam Sub7, this way I will be better right?

I'm into Electronic Music and heavy bass stuff so this is actually important for me! Thanks for helping out!
Old 5th November 2014
Have you tried to use an eq as final insert in your master channel and filtering the low end to suite them to the room?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search