The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 28th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
We just sent our first shipments out to Canadian and US stores!

so yes, Sweetwater should have them early next week. some stores already received them.

We also are starting to send review samples out next week so we should have some soon!
Looking forward to seeing some reviews!
Old 28th June 2014
Very, very interested! I want a pair for working at home to complement my Yamaha Hs50's in the low-end especially! FocalPro which one do you recommend? Alpha 65 or Alpha 80?
Old 30th June 2014
Here for the gear

I'm not FocalPro but I think it depends on the size of your room. The HS50s have 5" woofers and the Alpha 50 have 5" woofers. You may want to consider a sub-woofer if you stick with 5" configuration.

My room is about 11' x 14' and I will probably get the Alpha 65 (I'm pretty sure, but am waiting for the reviews to come out). I already have a sub but I may not need it with the 6.5" woofer in the Alpha 65. I may even consider the Alpha 50 with the sub. The Alpha 80s will have an 8" woofer which is more for a larger room and less near-field than the other two.
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Focal Alpha 65 Studio Monitor Overview - Sweetwater Sound - YouTube

According to this video the Alpha 65 is best for mixing if they are placed 6' to 8' away. If the monitors are closer, say within reach of the listener, the Alpha 50 is recommended. Good info!
Old 3rd July 2014
6' to 8' ??? (1,82m to 2,44m). I think he is exaggerated, these are almost a midfield situation and my KRK V6 the same woofer and almost the same power and at 1,2m I have the best sweet spot.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO View Post
6' to 8' ??? (1,82m to 2,44m). I think he is exaggerated, these are almost a midfield situation and my KRK V6 the same woofer and almost the same power and at 1,2m I have the best sweet spot.
Yeah - you are correct - that's more for the Alpha80 which can be used as a midfield. I tried them in a huge studio in NYC (The Log Cabin) and we used the 80s at about 8 feet with no problem.

The 65s worked ok but it's definitely more of a 'typical nearfield' distance speaker (4-6 ?)

the 50s is more of your 'typical small bedroom' type of speaker. 2-4 feet away, smaller room. Although it still rocks pretty hard if you are using it as a 'second set of smaller speakers in a bigger room'

hope that clarifies things!

Cheers,
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
Yeah - you are correct - that's more for the Alpha80 which can be used as a midfield. I tried them in a huge studio in NYC (The Log Cabin) and we used the 80s at about 8 feet with no problem.

The 65s worked ok but it's definitely more of a 'typical nearfield' distance speaker (4-6 ?)

the 50s is more of your 'typical small bedroom' type of speaker. 2-4 feet away, smaller room. Although it still rocks pretty hard if you are using it as a 'second set of smaller speakers in a bigger room'

hope that clarifies things!

Cheers,
Not sure what to get, deciding between the Alpha 65 and 80. My room is small, but will be treated at the time of purchase. Speakers will be 1,1-1,2m away from listening. I produce Electronic music and I need to hear the Low end clearly. I cant use a sub. Which one do you recommend and why?
Old 16th July 2014
I think Alpha 80 will be good, I have used in my 12m2 room yamaha hs80 and others 8" monitors with not much problems.
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think Alpha 80 will be good, I have used in my 12m2 room yamaha hs80 and others 8" monitors with not much problems.
Thanks, noted
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Alpha 65

Hey guys,

I just heard the whole Alpha range in a semi-treated room that I am familiar with.

First few things I noticed was that there is not as much detail in the midrange compared to their higher end models (but this is a given). Tweeters are great for the price. Not as harsh/distorted as other speakers in this price range.

The 80 has insane low end but it is hyped and I am not sure that it is accurate. It kinda had a wobbly bass that can be very problematic. The 80 had more low end than the SM9.

Overall the Alpha 65 is the best bang for the buck in the category for only $200 more than the 50's (which are great as well). I think the extended low end on the 65's is worth it over the 50's.

Would be curious to hear these alongside the lower end Yamaha's which I am a fan of.
Old 22nd July 2014
Do you think the low end in the 80s can be tammed with the rear knob or it will be still hyped?
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanV View Post
Hey guys,

I just heard the whole Alpha range in a semi-treated room that I am familiar with.

First few things I noticed was that there is not as much detail in the midrange compared to their higher end models (but this is a given). Tweeters are great for the price. Not as harsh/distorted as other speakers in this price range.

The 80 has insane low end but it is hyped and I am not sure that it is accurate. It kinda had a wobbly bass that can be very problematic. The 80 had more low end than the SM9.

Overall the Alpha 65 is the best bang for the buck in the category for only $200 more than the 50's (which are great as well). I think the extended low end on the 65's is worth it over the 50's.

Would be curious to hear these alongside the lower end Yamaha's which I am a fan of.
So would you recommend me the Alpha 65 instead of the Alpha 80? I need to be able to hear the low end clearly because I produce Electronic and cant use a sub.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking - where was it that you listen to the Alpha 80 vs SM9?

The Alpha80 has bass - don't me wrong - but it's as tight as the Alpha65 - just more extended. I've done about a dozen demos so far in various studios and I'm very surprised by your comment.

Let le know!

Cheers
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you think the low end in the 80s can be tammed with the rear knob or it will be still hyped?
Yes and also remember that speaker placement is very important. Shifting backward and forward a few inches. Only problem I have is that most 8" woofer speakers have "tucked in" mids so pairing these with smaller, faster speakers could be useful.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post
So would you recommend me the Alpha 65 instead of the Alpha 80? I need to be able to hear the low end clearly because I produce Electronic and cant use a sub.
I would probably go alpha 50 or 65 and also a decent sub.

Why can't you use a sub?
I recommend some pretty intense bass traps if you are doing music with a lot of low end content.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I would probably go alpha 50 or 65 and also a decent sub.

Why can't you use a sub?
I recommend some pretty intense bass traps if you are doing music with a lot of low end content.
I dont really have room for a sub. And I am DIY treating my room soon and having 10cm/four inch in all four corners if possible. Also, I fear that the Alpha 80's will be at my max budget for when I buy monitors, and getting smaller Alpha's and a sub will be more expensive.
Old 23rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I'm sure these are decent speakers (I love Focals) and I'm NOT trying to be outrageous but don't these "musician lines" kinda of smack of audio prejudice by elitist companies?

It's like a big company run by rich white guys who specifically target a poorer, ethnic minority with a product designed to profit from a stereotype... hey, those people smoke a lot so let's make a cheap cigarette with ads targeting them!

"Specially designed for music production" as opposed to what, Focal Twins? Genelc 1038's, Adam A7X etc. I guess those are too good for musicians? It would be one thing to market these products as entry-level or beginner speakers but to use the term "musician" in place of those is insulting... there are plenty of musicians around the world who know what they are doing, who appreciate good monitoring, and will spend the money to get it! These companies know there are endless wanna-be bedroom producers who will be lured-in by the name and thus they use these lines as a cash grab or as a way to sell people UP to their more expensive lines.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I just found this new review for the alpha 50`s given in a desktop audio mag comparing contrasting a bit with ADAM A3X.

Generally a pretty good review; "Dynamic contrasts in particular were wow-inducing". The only small criticism of "a slight hardness to the upper midrange":

Focal Alpha 50 | AudioStream | REVIEW
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post
I dont really have room for a sub. And I am DIY treating my room soon and having 10cm/four inch in all four corners if possible. Also, I fear that the Alpha 80's will be at my max budget for when I buy monitors, and getting smaller Alpha's and a sub will be more expensive.
Sounds great. There is many different ways to treat corners. I would make the traps as large and deep as possible and if you don't have enough space I would look into membranes, etc.

I am sure the Yamaha HS sub is pretty decent for running with the Focals. It is not very expensive.

I would probably wait longer and save up more. I was not crazy on the 80's though. just know that.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
I just found this new review for the alpha 50`s given in a desktop audio mag comparing contrasting a bit with ADAM A3X.

Generally a pretty good review; "Dynamic contrasts in particular were wow-inducing". The only small criticism of "a slight hardness to the upper midrange":

Focal Alpha 50 | AudioStream | REVIEW
Cnet now have a Alpha 50 review up too, more favourable comparisons over adam (F5 this time), and "The sound is right up there, but was not as clear the tiny Genelec G One speakers and F-One sub I recently reviewed" :

Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch - CNET
Old 26th July 2014
I really don't trust so much hifi reviewers, in special when they like a studio monitor which brings to my head that it is probably very coloured. Also CNET review is very different from AudioStream.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I really don't trust so much hifi reviewers, in special when they like a studio monitor which brings to my head that it is probably very coloured. Also CNET review is very different from AudioStream.
Yes, I think that these alphas will probably get a few of these type of reviews due to their price point and the Focal name being already known for hifi equipment.

Hopefully we`ll see an SOS or MusicTech review pop up soon though.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds great. There is many different ways to treat corners. I would make the traps as large and deep as possible and if you don't have enough space I would look into membranes, etc.

I am sure the Yamaha HS sub is pretty decent for running with the Focals. It is not very expensive.

I would probably wait longer and save up more. I was not crazy on the 80's though. just know that.
I can't really save up more, I don't really see the point with my current room. Maybe in the future. When it comes to treatment, I am planning to build bass traps and use those (got some tips from GIK Acoustics). And because of room dimensions, using even a small sub is worse for me than using a small sub (already talked with someone about this).
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I found a new review here:

Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch - CNET

Still waiting for SoS to review them...
Old 28th July 2014
same review as post #80 hahaha
Old 1st August 2014
Here for the gear

I have listen to the Alpha 65 yesterday and my first impression: Hoooolly Basss!!!
If you want to produced Electronic or Hip Hop music, this is very interesting.
I have made A-B-C with Csm 50 and 65 and solo B6 and twin lol. And the best monitors are....???
The most expensive! no surprise, but I think Alpha can be easely compared to the Csm for definition (a little bit less).
Seems very accurated and the only thing I regret is that, Alpha doesn't have Solo B6 tweeter's... Not the same price so logic :'( maybe put down the highs a little (LSF back) ...
For the Polyglass Woofer, what can I say? I loved this sound!!! You ear the Low ends and don't loose medium for it. Thanks!
In the same price range I've never listen monitors more accurated with the same bass.
Like nimano45 I don't want a Sub, so I will go for the Alpha 80 (next week). I really think that it's the better you can have for less than 1000 Euro (pair) and I don't really fell the difference before the 2k-3k (pair) range.
So "rendez-vous" in 1 month after composing and mixing session (sorry for my English).
Old 2nd August 2014
"Hoooolly Basss!!! " ... what does it means :
1) Boomy and enhanced bass
2) Extended but accurate low end
3) ????
Old 2nd August 2014
Here for the gear

Sorry if iam not clear (not my mother-tongue).
So 2! clear Low End and it was real 40Hz of 808. Not boomy, really
More accurate than Jbl Lsr808 Adam F7 (Tested before) and a good feeling for me.
Old 2nd August 2014
. I want to replace my KRK V6 series 2 and want that little extra bass that they lack (and my previous Yam HS80 had), and if possible to be not as midforward as them.
Old 9th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hi,
any of you have purchased the alpha 65? I am very interested on this model for electronic/tech music production in a early-reflections room treated and i'm looking for opinions and impressions about.

My other choices are Presonus Eris 8, for affordable price and 8" cone, and Adam F7.

thx
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search