The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Focal launches the new Alpha monitors Studio Monitors
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
I don't know that, so I wrote:
I know you were unsure,which is why I said; what makes you think Focal's Alpha line mightbe accurate??

Even though you were unsure,you got all excited,as if you had confidence in the Focals...that they might be accurate.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps,the article in the PDF file,just might be false propaganda put out by Focal,against the Adam monitors?
A far fetched idea most likely,but what company's info can you trust?In any event,both Adams & Focals are a better gamble than most monitors under a $1,000.
The thing is though,is that my Adam A7's mid range clarity is not all that good and personally,I am more concerned with mid range clarity,than how precise a LF chart is.
In retrospect,I would never buy another pair of budget Adam monitors again(unless of course,they come up with a 3-way design in the future).

All this being said,I'm leaning towards the Focals...
Old 19th March 2014
A friend of mine who worked in a hifi shop sent me once the Focal 705 and 706 to demo and I consider those were pretty decent for mixing duties (better than most of the active monitors in the same price range), so I think these new Alphas are going to be a surprise in this range.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandstudio91 View Post
I believe you were trying to make a point,with your "generalization" in your post....which was that; why buy a budget product,when you can spend a bit more for the high end product...but since most,if not all companies have big gaps between price points...then...what is your point??
Name me one budget line from a high end company that has similar price points,because I can't think of one off the top of my head?

Why generalize anyhow?As after all,this thread is specifically about the Focal Alpha's and you specifically mentioned the Focal CMS line,from a specific retailer.
That being said,one would have to assume,that you at least were aware what the price was for the CMS-50's...yes?
I didn't know specifically what the price was for the Alpha 50's myself(which is why I took the price info from the YouTube video i.e. the 250 euros per monitor that was mentioned and ran it through the Google Currency Converter).

As for hearing a Gibson,no...I have not...but then,I'm not a guitar player and we're not discussing guitars(but yeah,my ax-playing friends have apprised how how crucial it is to spend money on quality craftsmanship...on things such as pick-ups,bridges and the like).

Fender Passport Studio monitors??You do realize that these monitors are not
bi-amped,right?
Having only one amp in one cabinet,with only a single volume knob,are fairly good indications that the Fender monitors have been seriously compromised in quality,in favor of features such as a very rugged outer casing and it's ultra-portable design...with it's handles & such.
Hardly a product that I would consider relevant to this discussion.

You seem very dead set on spending a small fortune on products like the Focal Twin6's you mentioned and since you are tacitly fixed on this price point,why are you here on this thread?

Please....do some sort of research on a product before you post,so that others may have a somewhat pointed,constructive and interesting discussion...about a product.
Ha, WOW! Quite a long winded and over-exxagerated reply from my basic response. "I seem very dead set on spending a small fortune" HAHA!

Hilarious. Don't hop, jump to the nearest conclusion!

"Do some research on a product before you post"
The product isn't even out yet! Nor is the Fender Passport.
Please do some sort of real world listening tests on a product before you post,so that others may have a somewhat pointed,constructive and interesting discussion...about a product.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandstudio91 View Post
A far fetched idea most likely,but what company's info can you trust?
I say: Genelec, Neumann, Yamaha, Focal is much closer to the truth than ADAM.
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I say: Genelec, Neumann, Yamaha, Focal is much closer to the truth than ADAM.
I've read nothing but good press about Genelec and I've had the pleasure of hearing the 8000 series,so I would agree.
I know very little about Nuemann,but I would lean towards Nuemann over Yamaha...or better yet,KRK's VXT series.
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
The product isn't even out yet! Nor is the Fender Passport.
Fender Passport is available; Fender Audio Passport Studio | Sweetwater.com
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO View Post
Event 20/20 are crap monitors.
+1000 Friend of mine just got the new ones, they sound really horrible! Compared to the old models especially.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
hope the build quality is better than this.... (after 1 week) does appear to be a critical joint, glued. If they do break, at least the speakers won't cost much more than the headphones Focal Headphone Fail
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
hope the build quality is better than this.... (after 1 week) does appear to be a critical joint, glued. If they do break, at least the speakers won't cost much more than the headphones Focal Headphone Fail
I only can speak for the North American sales. we've sold thousands of headphones so far and that's the first unglued one I've seen.

What did your dealer say when you told him about that?

Do you have a contact with Focal UK? if not - let me know and I'll get you one.

Back to Alpha discussion
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Stop with the frequency measurement nonsense.
You, and this "wise man" have very poor room if you dont hear diffrences betwean monitor with 50Hz @-3dB and 40 [email protected]
Old 1st April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
You, and this "wise man" have very poor room if you dont hear diffrences betwean monitor with 50Hz @-3dB and 40 [email protected]
When you start saying stuff like this and not understanding how rooms work, and then that about a man who knows his stuff, than am sorry no one is going to take you serious on here, at all.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
When you start saying stuff like this and not understanding how rooms work, and then that about a man who knows his stuff, than am sorry no one is going to take you serious on here, at all.
I've had before monitors with hearable deeper bass (in this room) ... so this is not possible, because You say so? ... sorry no one is going to take you serious on here, at all.
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone run across a review of these yet? I know they are new, but usually some trade pub or website gets early access for PR and press purposes....

haven't managed to find any yet ..
Old 30th April 2014
Still no reviews through internet. In most of the shops the stock are pending.
Old 30th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn View Post
Anyone run across a review of these yet? I know they are new, but usually some trade pub or website gets early access for PR and press purposes....

haven't managed to find any yet ..
Hi!

we're expecting the first units to hit stores and reviewers / magazine around mid-June!

The only units on our hands are pre-productions and most magazines will wait until actual production to review.

soon, you'll hear more about Alpha!
Old 30th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
Hi!
soon, you'll hear more about Alpha!
Look forward to it!
Old 19th May 2014
Here for the gear

Still they'll likely sound better than my 8" Mackies that served me well for nearly a decade.
Old 3rd June 2014
Here for the gear

The Focal Alpha 65s are high on my list, has anyone heard them yet or seen any reviews?

I need to get a pair of near-field monitors and these fit right in my budget. I like the front bass ports, too. I have high hopes for these as studio monitors for mixing.
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veech View Post
The Focal Alpha 65s are high on my list, has anyone heard them yet or seen any reviews?

I need to get a pair of near-field monitors and these fit right in my budget. I like the front bass ports, too. I have high hopes for these as studio monitors for mixing.
Here's the first review that we know of :

New Focal Alpha Series Monitors | Beards And Gear
Old 3rd June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks for the link. So far, so good...
Old 4th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veech View Post
Thanks for the link. So far, so good...
Indeed, these still have my attention!
Old 6th June 2014
Here for the gear

Wonder how they would compare to Yamaha 7s or 8ths?!
Old 12th June 2014
I'm guessing that these would be a significant step in the right direction from the Yamaha's.
Old 17th June 2014
Here for the gear

Just checking in, do we have any updates on the Alpha speakers? When will they be available in the US?

Thanks
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear

sweetwater rep estimates first shipment ETA mid june (i.e. right about now)
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

We need more reviews! Did Sound On Sound get them already?
Old 22nd June 2014
SOS is doing the Fender Passport Studio this month - hopefully alpha in july..

Thomann says 2-5 days for shipping... hmm

i'm a bit excited on these ones..
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

My Sweetwater rep heard the Alphas and was raving about them. It did not stop me from getting the monitors I was planning on. Though I am open to checking out the Alphas given I already have the Spirit Pro headphones, and I like them.
Old 24th June 2014
Here for the gear

I have Maggies and subs for my main listening system but sometimes out of laziness or convenience I use my monitors to listen to music. So although I would get the Alphas primarily for monitoring my mixes, I wonder how well they would work as a main music system?
Old 27th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn View Post
sweetwater rep estimates first shipment ETA mid june (i.e. right about now)
We just sent our first shipments out to Canadian and US stores!

so yes, Sweetwater should have them early next week. some stores already received them.

We also are starting to send review samples out next week so we should have some soon!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search