The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 12th March 2014
Hardware Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping

Antelope Audio Announces Zen Studio, Powerful Portable Audio Interface with 20 Analog Inputs, 12 Mic Preamps and DSP effects, including 10 Analog Outputs plus 2 stereo Headphone outs with their own converter channels for a total of 14 D/A channels. The new Zen Control Panel boasts up to (4) Mixers for creating customizable headphone mixes. If the 12 on-board mic pres aren't enough, not only does Zen have 8 additional inputs on a DSUB connector, but also (2) sets of ADAT I/O to add yet additional converters and mic pre's of your choice.

Connectivity
• 20 analog inputs, 14 analog outputs (includes headphone outs)
• 12 Class A mic preamps, with phantom power
• 8 mic/line inputs
• 4 mic/line/instrument inputs
• 2 Independently assignable headphone outputs
• 2 DSUB-25 connector (8 channels I/O)
• 1 Stereo monitor out
• 4 ADAT connectors (up to 16 channels I/O)
• 2 SPDIF RCA connectors (I/O)
• 2 Inserts over TRS
• 2 Word Clock BNC connectors (I/O)
• 1 Low-latency high-bandwidth USB 2.0

Come see us at Musikmesse 2014, hall 5.1, booth C60

Price of the Zen Studio will be $2495. You can pre-order starting today at your favorite Pro Audio dealer. ETA is 8 weeks from now.

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 20th June 2014 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Wow! Very well thought out device.

Will there be a rack mount kit available for it?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

This is exciting! Great pricepoint as well!
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

This looks awesome. I wonder how the conversion is. I would have killed for this when I started out!
Old 12th March 2014
Looks really great, and only for the features don't look expensive to me. I will put an eye on this.
Old 12th March 2014
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

This looks awesome, at a great price.
Hopefully the sound quality will be top notch.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Can you use all the I/O at the same time so can you have the dsub connections as well as the preamp/line connections.

So use the 8 per amp/line ins for synths etc then use the dsub 8 in 8 out for hardware processing at the same time and then also use the monitor out as well ?

Ben
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Very very nice ;-) mmhhhhhh now I might find myself torn between this unit versus RME Fireface 802 ;-) Keeping an eye for sure, hopefully the sound quality & drivers are rock solid because thats one biggest reason been faithful to RME for years ;-)
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

If the conversion is as good or better than Lynx Aurora, I'm in.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Dang, that's another entry on the gear short-list
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Man I'd been looking at the Orion as a potential upgrade for my old (but beloved) Edirol UA-1000, but this might tick even more boxes!

Colour me seriously interested.

Although speaking of colour, is it just me that finds the red a bit garish? It does't have the same class in looks as the Orion IMO!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not in the market for this, but from the pictures it looks like it's not rack-mountable. Even on a tray you'd have trouble as the ADAT ports are on the side. Why?
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
... is it just me that finds the red a bit garish? It does't have the same class in looks as the Orion IMO!
Looks really ugly, front face also, shame.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

Nice.. I hope that it will have some type of rack mount kit, but even if not this looks awesome and has some nice features.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Although speaking of colour, is it just me that finds the red a bit garish? It does't have the same class in looks as the Orion IMO!
Just saw in the other thread it's available in 3 colours, wonder what the others will be like...
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Can you use all the I/O at the same time so can you have the dsub connections as well as the preamp/line connections.

So use the 8 per amp/line ins for synths etc then use the dsub 8 in 8 out for hardware processing at the same time and then also use the monitor out as well ?

Ben
Yes, you can use all the inputs and outs at once, so up to 20 analog inputs and 14 outputs, plus the unit shows up as a 24 in and out interface in the DAW, so you can add digital inputs to those analog, as well.

Thanks for asking,
Marcel
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Yes, you can use all the inputs and outs at once, so up to 20 analog inputs and 14 outputs, plus the unit shows up as a 24 in and out interface in the DAW, so you can add digital inputs to those analog, as well.

Thanks for asking,
Marcel
Thanks for answering, I've been toying between Apogee quartet and Adat interface, UFX and Apollo. I think you just jumped the queue

Love the idea of attaching the new api lunchbox 8 with modules for processing via dsubs and running all my synths in via the rest of the Line ins on the interface. Brilliant

Ben
Old 12th March 2014
Seems nice. I think they should have gone with locking XLR connectors though, rather important for live use.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Specs are amazing! Very curious about the preamps. The usb as well, bit scared about latency..
Old 12th March 2014
sorry to nitpick, there may be a copy/paste error on the product page, still referencing the Orion instead of the Zen Studio:

Quote:
Proven technologies for supreme audio
Using Antelope Audio custom-built USB chip, Orion32 achieves extremely low latency levels even when streaming simultaneously 32 channels in and 32 out. The latency performance varies between only 1 and 6.5 ms for different hardware and software configurations.
Taken from the product page here:
Zen Studio Portable Audio Interface | Antelope Audio

Also very interested to know if this is rack mountable out of the box. For me portable = in my portable rack.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone seen a euro price?
Old 12th March 2014
Zen Control Panel & Mixers

ZEN STUDIO NEW CONTROL PANEL:

ZEN STUDIO MONITORING MIXERS:

ZEN STUDIO FX:

Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

Apparently the converter specs and latency are identical to that of the Orion32, which would explain the "copy-paste" error.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

What is the max simultaneous IO on this unit? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that USB could really only handle 32IO. But this box would have 20 analog with the DSub, 16 with ADAT and 2 with SPDIF, so 38IO altogether. Unless maybe I misunderstood the video and the ADATs are like a lot of other interfaces and are only ever 8x8, but when you jump past 48K it splits to 1-4 and 5-8 on each input.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall View Post
What is the max simultaneous IO on this unit? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that USB could really only handle 32IO. But this box would have 20 analog with the DSub, 16 with ADAT and 2 with SPDIF, so 38IO altogether. Unless maybe I misunderstood the video and the ADATs are like a lot of other interfaces and are only ever 8x8, but when you jump past 48K it splits to 1-4 and 5-8 on each input.
Currently our plans are to make this a 24 ch USB interface, so the extra connectivity offer routing options. It could be made a 32 io, or even 64 (would limit to 96K), however one hitch is Pro Tools only sees up to 32 channel 3rd party native devices.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Currently our plans are to make this a 24 ch USB interface, so the extra connectivity offer routing options. It could be made a 32 io, or even 64 (would limit to 96K), however one hitch is Pro Tools only sees up to 32 channel 3rd party native devices.
Just curious; is this a full width rack mount size chassis or narrower? I'm wondering since the connectors on the side seem a bit oddly placed.
Old 12th March 2014
close up view

Old 12th March 2014
Looks great.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyn View Post
Looks really ugly, front face also, shame.
Question of Taste, I really like the way it looks but who cares! I cant wait to hear that thing!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search