The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear
Wow... all of that and it's portable?

Looks like a winner.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
You're putting words in my mouth. The Eclipse is outstanding and I never said you shouldn't keep it. It's just my view that the Zen and Orion are also outstanding and all I said is one isn't "better" than another, it's a question of needs and application. That's what I'm saying. This isn't figure skating where you rate a performance, etc.

I'm not debating this issue further, I've been clear and open for all to see.

Regards,
Marcel
Antelope has now confirmed that I was given wrong or false information...it looks like you where right, they all include the 4th generation Acoustic focused clocking, the reply I got was

"You are correct to look into this as the first information you were given was incorrect. To clarify:

We do declare that all our recent products: Zen Studio, Orion32, Eclipse 384, Zodiac DACs and Trinity are based on our proprietary 4th generation of 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking algorithm, which means they all utilize the same clocking technology.

There is no point in comparing devices which are meant for different applications. Trinity is a very sophisticated Master Clock with various clocking functionality, while Eclipse is a high end Mastering Converter, Dual Clock (clocks simultaneously at 2 different sampling rates) and a monitoring controller. Orion32 is a rack-mountable multichannel audio interface while ZenStudio is a portable recording interface, both having basic clocking capabilities, using the same 64-bit AFC technology as in Trinity. Each of the products fits in a different recording, mixing, mastering or live application scenario and while they all slightly overlap each other in certain functionality each of them is designed to bring a unique touch to the sound production and can not be replaced by another Antelope product. We cannot say if one sounds better than the other as this a very subjective matter while all products are designed following the highest industry and Antelope Audio standards.

Eclipse is at its price range due to quality of conversion and components used. Plus it is not only a fuctioning ADDA convertor but also a sophisticated monitor controller, dual clock, dejitter device. AES and TOSLINK interface, bass management system lfe control, [recise peak metering and relay stepped volume controls.

Thanks,"
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Orion32 can't be updated at this time for the effects, as it doesn't have the same DSP chip as Zen Studio.

Thanks,
Marcel
Must be great to have DSP and more flexible mixer for tracking on Orion 32. Will be a total winner.
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Antelope has now confirmed that I was given wrong or false information...it looks like you where right, they all include the 4th generation Acoustic focused clocking, the reply I got was

"You are correct to look into this as the first information you were given was incorrect. To clarify:

We do declare that all our recent products: Zen Studio, Orion32, Eclipse 384, Zodiac DACs and Trinity are based on our proprietary 4th generation of 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking algorithm, which means they all utilize the same clocking technology.

There is no point in comparing devices which are meant for different applications. Trinity is a very sophisticated Master Clock with various clocking functionality, while Eclipse is a high end Mastering Converter, Dual Clock (clocks simultaneously at 2 different sampling rates) and a monitoring controller. Orion32 is a rack-mountable multichannel audio interface while ZenStudio is a portable recording interface, both having basic clocking capabilities, using the same 64-bit AFC technology as in Trinity. Each of the products fits in a different recording, mixing, mastering or live application scenario and while they all slightly overlap each other in certain functionality each of them is designed to bring a unique touch to the sound production and can not be replaced by another Antelope product. We cannot say if one sounds better than the other as this a very subjective matter while all products are designed following the highest industry and Antelope Audio standards.

Eclipse is at its price range due to quality of conversion and components used. Plus it is not only a fuctioning ADDA convertor but also a sophisticated monitor controller, dual clock, dejitter device. AES and TOSLINK interface, bass management system lfe control, [recise peak metering and relay stepped volume controls.

Thanks,"
Thanks for posting Immersion. Hope you and I are cool now. I also appreciate your Eclipse purchase, btw.

Regards,
Marcel
Old 26th March 2014
The same "clocking technology" is very different from the same "clock". To some degree the "same clocking technology" is a phrase that can be applied to almost all interfaces I would think unless Antelope are claiming to have reinvented digital clocking. I am not expert on clocking technology but I do know marketing speak when I hear it.

This hardly answers the question and I feel like the question is being deliberately avoided here. What people are asking is whether the conversion technology is of a higher grade in the more expensive units which is something that is assumed. And if it is, as it should be, then what are the actual differences.

Yeah, the all use the "same" USB technology to some extent however much Antelope has maximized the capability it is still the same USB technology as other companies use or their boxes would not work with our computers.

This is disingenuous and is making me have a bad feeling for this company. What in the world is so hard about saying to people that one box, the more expensive box, is better than the cheaper box. You act like this is some sort of industry secret and even if there is not secret or major difference, shrouding your answers in language like this is sure to raise suspicion.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:

Thanks,"
Immersion, thanks for this post, it takes a lot from everyone to post something like this. I really hope that everyone here will act the same in similar situations, because this is what make forums valuable: discussions, point of views, trade of information, honest opinions, share of knowledge, share of experiences, questions and answers.

Martin
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The same "clocking technology" is very different from the same "clock". To some degree the "same clocking technology" is a phrase that can be applied to almost all interfaces I would think unless Antelope are claiming to have reinvented digital clocking.
He's stated quite clearly that the boxes do have the same clocks in them, and while they haven't reinvented digital clocking, they do it differently than anyone else…and that's what the company built its reputation on.

Quote:
This hardly answers the question and I feel like the question is being deliberately avoided here. What people are asking is whether the conversion technology is of a higher grade in the more expensive units which is something that is assumed.
That question doesn't really apply to everything, and has already been answered. The clock/clock circuitry/clocking technology is the same in this box, the Trinity, the Eclipse, and the Orion. As for the conversion, there is none in the Trinity, it's the same in the Zen and the Orion, and it's different in the Eclipse. The conversion in the Eclipse specs out better, but not everybody thinks it sounds better. This has all been stated very clearly by Clybourne in this thread.

Quote:
This is disingenuous and is making me have a bad feeling for this company. What in the world is so hard about saying to people that one box, the more expensive box, is better than the cheaper box.
It may be hard to say that because all of the boxes do different thing. The Trinity costs more than the Zen, but it's not better if you're looking for a multichannel interface as it is not an interface. The quality of the clock is the same, but it has three of them, and it has functionality that the Zen doesn't have. Likewise, if you're a mastering engineer looking for two channels of the cleanest converters out there, along with monitor switching then sure, the Eclipse is better.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Wow... all of that and it's portable?

Looks like a winner.
Yeah... and it has a handle!

Seriously though, I'd be all over this if there was more input to output parity.

I know, Orion... don't need that many.

Anyway, it's still a contender for one of our upgrades.

The frustrating thing is that there's nothing that's "just right."

That's not to fault this or other boxes, though.

Did I mention the handle?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

He does also mention Zodiac have the same "4th generation afc technology as Eclipse/orion/zen/zodiac I just wonder, does the same clock fit physically in the same case ?Zodiac is very small in comparison.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o_6T89fHKw...pe_Eclipse.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rbiGp6PQYr..._interior1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MVGIQQVOnL...lope_10M_4.jpg

(I find no inside pic of Trinity unfortunately or orion)
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
He does also mention Zodiac have the same "4th generation afc technology as Eclipse/orion/zen/zodiac I just wonder, does the same clock fit physically in the same case ?Zodiac is very small in comparison.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o_6T89fHKw...pe_Eclipse.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rbiGp6PQYr..._interior1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MVGIQQVOnL...lope_10M_4.jpg

(I find no inside pic of Trinity unfortunately or orion)
I really cannot believe we're still discussing this. How clear do you want me to be? Trinity, Zodiac (all of them), Eclipse384, Orion32 and now Zen Studio ALL have the same identical clocking circuit (according to everything I've ever been told by Igor Levin, the man who designed them). What's different is the application of that clocking. It is frankly the key to the Antelope "secret sauce" and we're obviously very proud of what our lead engineer and founder has accomplished with this clocking, which has had an enormous impact on the audio product world.

The size of Trinity has to do with the displays and amount of WC and other connections on the back, as I've already explained. The clock circuit itself it quite small and the oven that the crystal is housed in, is also quite small.

I will quote Winston Churchill and say "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

Let's move on and keep this thread on topic guys.

Immersion, we appreciate your enthusiasm, but nobody is lying to you. A mistake was made in some early information you were given and it was not done intentionally. I'm very proud of our excellent Support team. They do an incredible job for our customers.

Kind Regards,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really cannot believe we're still discussing this. How clear do you want me to be? Trinity, Zodiac (all of them), Eclipse384, Orion32 and now Zen Studio ALL have the same identical clocking circuit (according to everything I've ever been told by Igor Levin, the man who designed them). What's different is the application of that clocking. It is frankly the key to the Antelope "secret sauce" and we're obviously very proud of what our lead engineer and founder has accomplished with this clocking, which has had an enormous impact on the audio product world.

The size of Trinity has to do with the displays and amount of WC and other connections on the back, as I've already explained. The clock circuit itself it quite small and the oven that the crystal is housed in, is also quite small.

I will quote Winston Churchill and say "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

Let's move on and keep this thread on topic guys.

Immersion, we appreciate your enthusiasm, but nobody is lying to you. A mistake was made in some early information you were given and it was not done intentionally. I'm very proud of our excellent Support team. They do an incredible job for our customers.

Kind Regards,
Marcel
It was merely a response to bulleyes post "The same "clocking technology" is very different from the same "clock"...I happen to agree with his post though. So I thought if they have the same clock they should also look the same inside the chassis.. I was mostly curious to see if they did look different physically. Then we would know for sure without any doubt it had the same "clock" and the same algorithm code as well.

I have to agree that the Antelope support has been very good I have had a very good experience with them, they are helpful, I have had many tickets opened for them...the misinformation I got some days ago is my only complaint... as I said.. I wanted to have reasons to keep my Eclipse..that was my question I did simply give him the chance to explain why Eclipse was better...anway it seem to have been corrected in the end, but I agree with bullseyes also ..it does not hurt to be little bit sceptic about things (in general in life), the alterntive would to be just a blinded sheep who just believe everything they see and hear.
Old 27th March 2014
I am interested in this box obviously. And the main thing that has me interested was the one lone sound clip I heard and, of course, the functions. This is something I've been hoping for for a while. My reservation is this: I don't want to find out down the road where the corners were cut. I would like to know up front what makes for the price differences. It may very well be a matter of conditioning that we believe more expensive equals better but on the other, if it doesn't we are all in allot of trouble. That means that every piece of expensive gear any of us ever bought was simply the old Okey Doke. For instance, I recently bought a Steinway Grand Piano. Now I know that the basic technology in a piano was invented by Cristofori and I know that all pianos have this basic technology but I also know that the Steinway I bought is a great instance of this particular technology. I can say with out a doubt a Yamaha piano has the "same technology" as a Steinway but they are not the same. This was my point and my only point.

And I'm now wondering, move on to what? We are asking about the relative merits of the Antelope line. What more is there to talk about - the flashy color scheme or the neat handle. None of this makes that much difference although it does seem the handle is a bit of a turn off. I think the ultimate point is that people here ares suspicious of whether this is in the league of the higher end stuff because in GENERAL, interfaces with built in preamps don't have as good a reputation as interfaces without them. This is part and parcel of the concept, and one I subscribe to, that if you really want top quality, you need to get one function per box gear. I have always believed this is the best way to go notwithstanding economics. And I am very, very aware of the economics of the music biz since I make my living doing this and it is increasingly difficult to make that living. Therefore, I do very much want to economize but if I go too far, who will want my product if it is perceived as "cheap". So the gear must be of a certain quality. This is what people are exploring when they see something like this. There is always someone that chimes in immediately with an "Awesome", but I'm just not that guy. Sorry if I stepped on any toes but money is hard to come by and before I part with any, I want to really know what I'm getting for it.

So I'll say it again, there is some odd confusion over how this much less expensive piece of gear can have the same insides as the more expensive. Either those that purchased the top of the line got shafted or this is not what its being billed as. How is that hard to understand? And, assuming the clocking is the same - fine, good, cool. Lets then do move on. What is the difference in the conversion - if any (I'll allow for that) that allows for this menagerie of functions as such an attractive price.
Old 27th March 2014
Because it goes like this. The Orion has 32 channels at 3k. Roughly 1k per 10 channels. The Zen therefore is right at 20 Channels for about 2k and 12 preamps for about $500.00. That's assuming the conversion in the Zen is the equivalent of the Orion, clocking and all. That makes each preamp roughly about $40.00 with no profit. If you assume there is some profit in the preamps then the cost to make the preamps is less or, the conversion technology is simply not the same.

This, I think, is a reasonable inquiry regarding a gear purchase. What else could one want to know other than the quality of the build as determined by the quality of the components together with the design.

If I am wrong about all this, I offer my sincerest apologies and I will withdraw post haste.....I am not trying to write Zen and the Art of Interfaces after all....
Old 27th March 2014
^
^
^
^
Fair question(s) I would like to know as well.
Old 27th March 2014
Guys, I am here to help in any way I can and I'll do my best. I looked over the previous few posts and the only question I saw was "How is that hard to understand?"

So, if the main question is why is the Eclipse $7000 and the Orion is $3000, the answer is mostly due to the fact Eclipse was engineered and built with 70 relays. The Eclipse also has higher spec converter chips. The reason I don't claim that one piece of gear has better sound than another, is because it turns out our clocking, power technology and overall design approach of our circuits outweigh the importance of a particular chip's specs when it comes to building a unit that sounds great.

The Eclipse384 is a much different animal than Orion32. Sound quality isn't it's only virtue. You just cannot cram all the I/O it has, which are largely XLR's, into a 1U chassis. The power supply is much larger to power all those relays, as well.

The Orion32 is a very interesting feat of engineering. No relays, small power draw, all DB25's for it's analog I/O. It still sounds great, but you don't have speaker outs, volume control, XLR's, multiple clock rates. All the things we've pointed out. We also sell WAY more Orions, which helps us sell them at lower margins thanks to the economies of scale.

Setting the price of Zen Studio is also about more than just components. We have to look at our competition, we have to consider what our sales goals are and we have to cover our significant investment in R&D of things like DSP development.

I hope you'll all get the opportunity to listen to these products, see them up close and choose the one that best suits your needs, budget and particular goals for your audio systems.

Best,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

With the color scheme and handle, this looks like a kids toy to me.

Yes, I know it isn't. I said it looks like it.
Old 27th March 2014
Here for the gear

Exciting stuff. This is definitely on the top of my list. Great features! And guys, stop asking the same dam questions
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
With the color scheme and handle, this looks like a kids toy to me.

Yes, I know it isn't. I said it looks like it.
It's the furthest possible thing to a "kid's toy". I just spent the past two days at Sweetwater Sound (largest single music store location in the world) and they took it extremely seriously and are very excited about Zen Studio and the impact it will have on their customers.

In fact, they pointed out to me the potential our on-board mixers can have for live sound, beyond just headphone mix monitoring. You can use one of the mixers for the house sound and the other three would be available for headphone mixes. DJ's can use this feature for live performers that plug directly into the pre's or DI inputs, as the front to back size being small enough to easily fit on a DJ table with a laptop riser hovering over it. You can then record each mic pre input to it's own track in a DAW, as well as each of the mixer stereo outs as well as some additional line inputs or a digital device with more pre's, etc.

They felt look style and feel of the unit was solid, pro, yet light-weight for mobile use. They are actively pursuing some cool accessories as options, which we feel is going to help better present Zen as a lifestyle type of product for serious audio professionals and enthusiasts.

Just sharing the latest. Stay tuned.

Regards,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Orion has 32 channels at 3k. Roughly 1k per 10 channels. The Zen therefore is right at 20 Channels for about 2k and 12 preamps for about $500.00. That's assuming the conversion in the Zen is the equivalent of the Orion, clocking and all. That makes each preamp roughly about $40.00 with no profit. If you assume there is some profit in the preamps then the cost to make the preamps is less or, the conversion technology is simply not the same.
Well, you can't really break it down quite like you're doing….a big part of the cost of each box is the chassis, and the power supply, and the clock, and the display…so you can't say that a twenty-channel version of the Orion would go for the same cost, per channel, as a thirty two-channel version. Look at the Lynx Aurora boxes, for example, where you get eight channels for $1800, or sixteen for $2700. Or the Apogee and Avid boxes, where you can add cards with extra ins and outs for much less than the cost of the box itself, per channel. And since they've come out and clearly stated that the clock and conversion in the Zen is exactly the same as the Orion, I'm not sure why there'd be any reason to doubt them at this point.

As to the preamps, I'm not sure if it really matters how much they cost if they [/i] sound good. Having said that, since you've already got a box, and a power supply, and we're talking about transformerless preamps here, there's no reason to expect them to add too much to the cost…it doesn't cost a whole lot to put a decent clean transformerless preamp in a box. But the proof will be in the proverbial pudding, will it not?
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Addict

I am curious how it performs with Protools 10.. Changing sample rate and buffer settings... This is what I would test first. But defenetly interested in this unit!
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Calibration is the same effect as with Orion or Trinity. The buttons you push is what differs. The Zen just won't slave to the 10M. Hope this helps clarify.

Regards,
Marcel
OK, got it thanks.

I may be going off the deep end here, but would it be possible to use a chain of the Zen clock, to the OCX, to the 10M?

I have heard of people using the 10M synced with both the Trinity and OCX and they claim that for some reason it adds even more magical clarity to the sound then using just the Trinity and 10M
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brew View Post
OK, got it thanks.

I may be going off the deep end here, but would it be possible to use a chain of the Zen clock, to the OCX, to the 10M?

I have heard of people using the 10M synced with both the Trinity and OCX and they claim that for some reason it adds even more magical clarity to the sound then using just the Trinity and 10M
It can be done, yes. I've not listened to it that way yet. Something happens to the "thickness" of the sound going 10M to OCX to Trinity. That chain was used on the Justin Timberlake 20/20 Experience and some other big records. Jimmy Douglass loves that sound. It's something I came up with one day when I was trying to tame the top end of a track and it occurred to me that this approach might work and indeed it did the trick. Some other guys tried it and also dig it.

But, when I got the Orion, that frankly became my instant favorite, just going right to a 10M. That combo is what Mixerman switched to after many years of using Radar converters. Orion/10M is also used on the upcoming Chick Corea live piano album. I'm using them to master the upcoming Legally Blynd album right now too, which features Jubu and also Rihanna band members Chris Johnson and Eric Smith.

I've not tried various clocking with Zen. It sounds great already on it's own. I'll play with the 10M to Orion to Zen and also the 10M to OCX to Zen in the next few days.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilman View Post
I am curious how it performs with Protools 10.. Changing sample rate and buffer settings... This is what I would test first. But defenetly interested in this unit!
Pro Tools works fine with Orion and Zen Studio uses the same driver. No issues at all during my own tests since I got my Zen test unit last week on Pro Tools or Logic X.

Regards,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Head

Is there a manual available already? Can fx be applied to inputs BEFORE and/or AFTER daw send? Can fx be applied to daw returns? Can fx be applied to outputs and/or mix busses? Can analog inputs routed to adat out, adat ins to analog outs, in ADDITION to the two mixes? Why only two? More possible in the future or dsp limited? Are dsp fx recallable by DAW projects (via vst/au for example). Can fx be used within daws (apart from external fx via daw out/return, if fx can be applied to daw returns)

Fx details?
Old 27th March 2014
Is there a manual available already? Not yet, will post here when it's ready.

Can fx be applied to inputs BEFORE and/or AFTER daw send? Yes, you can route them in before or post DAW.

Can fx be applied to daw returns? You can route them to any of the 24 USB or DAW inputs. You can also record the dry signal before effects.

Can fx be applied to outputs and/or mix busses? If you mean mix busses in the monitor mixers in the Zen, then only the reverb will be on a buss of the mixer. But, you can view any single channel strip above when in Mixer view.

Can analog inputs routed to adat out, adat ins to analog outs, in ADDITION to the two mixes? Yes.

Why only two? If you mean the built-in mixers, there are four of them, not two.

Are dsp fx recallable by DAW projects (via vst/au for example). Can fx be used within daws (apart from external fx via daw out/return, if fx can be applied to daw returns)? There are presets inside the Zen Studio control panel. Control and recall from inside a plugin in the DAW could come at a later date.

Thanks for the good questions,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Head

Thank YOU for the detailed answers

Even if there are 4 instead of 2 mixes, why only 4? Is it a DSP limitation or for practical reasons? I'd really love a detailed video of the software? Are fx settings, complete channels, channel groups "presettable" (save/load), copy/pastable? Is the complete device (midi/osc) remoteable? If so HOW exactly? MCU interpretation? MIDI implementation chart (at least an overview) I still pray for a device that simply lets me route any physical/daw input to any combination of outputs by simple MIDI commands that addresses I/Os absolutely, and consider a Xite-1 just to code this feature myself)

What about internal loopback capability? Does the device driver delay loopbacked channels in order to have the signal sample accurately positioned to the A/Ded channels?

More details please
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabSel View Post
Thank YOU for the detailed answers

Even if there are 4 instead of 2 mixes, why only 4? Is it a DSP limitation or for practical reasons? I'd really love a detailed video of the software? Are fx settings, complete channels, channel groups "presettable" (save/load), copy/pastable? Is the complete device (midi/osc) remoteable? If so HOW exactly? MCU interpretation? MIDI implementation chart (at least an overview) I still pray for a device that simply lets me route any physical/daw input to any combination of outputs by simple MIDI commands that addresses I/Os absolutely, and consider a Xite-1 just to code this feature myself)

What about internal loopback capability? Does the device driver delay loopbacked channels in order to have the signal sample accurately positioned to the A/Ded channels?

More details please
As for why 4 mixers, we're just going for as much functionality as we can, without letting it run amok. It is, after all, a mobile interface.

I believe the presets will be savable. Will also request that copy and paste be added.

We will eventually have videos showing the control panel's mixers and FX in action, certainly in time for shipping in mid-May. It's still a bit early for such.

I will have to ask about the specific MIDI implementation, but the mic preamps and faders will be controllable via MIDI. You'll have to wait a bit for more details. We are in the process of getting our hands on some MIDI control devices to test and decide the best way to apply, but it is in our plans.

Loopback latency should be corrected by the reporting latency that our driver handles. It is on the Orion32.

What is your desired application/use?

Thanks again for your questions,
Marcel
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Head

>>What is your desired application/use?

Tech Toying *g*

EDIT:

>>I believe the presets will be savable. Will also request that copy and past be added.

Definitely needed! I'd say, with such a huge amount of channels within 4 mixes! Consider channel groups, too?

And "mirroring" channel/fx settings across mixes would be cool:
Have a headphone mix 1, for simplicity: just zlm a mic input with EQ/fx mixed with a daw cue mix through hp1, and record dry.
Upon playing back the recording, the daw outs the vocal recording into another mixer channel which has the same vol/pan/phase/EQ/fx settings as the former mic input channel, because the settings are mirrored. This way you could playback exactly what the artist heard, both via the artists headphone and the main monitors... Or use a external fx in the daw (daw out/in) through the same EQ/fx settings like mic artist... Dreaming...
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
It can be done, yes. I've not listened to it that way yet. Something happens to the "thickness" of the sound going 10M to OCX to Trinity. That chain was used on the Justin Timberlake 20/20 Experience and some other big records. Jimmy Douglass loves that sound. It's something I came up with one day when I was trying to tame the top end of a track and it occurred to me that this approach might work and indeed it did the trick. Some other guys tried it and also dig it.

But, when I got the Orion, that frankly became my instant favorite, just going right to a 10M. That combo is what Mixerman switched to after many years of using Radar converters. Orion/10M is also used on the upcoming Chick Corea live piano album. I'm using them to master the upcoming Legally Blynd album right now too, which features Jubu and also Rihanna band members Chris Johnson and Eric Smith.

I've not tried various clocking with Zen. It sounds great already on it's own. I'll play with the 10M to Orion to Zen and also the 10M to OCX to Zen in the next few days.

Thanks,
Marcel
Great info, didn't know you were the one who came up with this idea, nice!

Please let me know what you think when you try this chain out with the Zen Studio.

I really like the Orion32 but I need something very flexable and portable that I can take out to record sessions with and then use for mixing back at the studio. The Zen Studio looks to be perfect for this, I was planning on saving for a 10M to go with the Orion but if I can eventually get the 10M up and running with the OCX and Zen that would be excellent
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Will the Zen Studio have a lower latency mode as found in the Orion? And will it be suitable for tracking VSTi Synths etc?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search