The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd March 2014
Administrator

Ok that's enough now. Please stop (what seems to be) being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Thanks
Graham
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Sorry if this has been answered and I missed it, but are there pads on the mic pres? I am very much looking forward to pre-ordering this box!!! It is the perfect solution for my needs.
Old 24th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughton View Post
Sorry if this has been answered and I missed it, but are there pads on the mic pres? I am very much looking forward to pre-ordering this box!!! It is the perfect solution for my needs.
It doesn't have a pad, but there is an extra 10db of headroom on each pre input. I was tracking some drums and vocals on Friday night and we never clipped the pre.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
So the DSP EFX --

The video says, EQ, Rev, Compression

Any delays and delay based FX (Ch, Slap, Flange, echo) ??

Any others??
Any news on this?
Old 24th March 2014
Quote:
Any news on this?
What's the question? I posted pics of the EQ and Comp. The reverb is being finished now too. They run on the on-board DSP for tracking/monitoring purposes.

This what you mean?

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
Hey Marcel - Sorry - the forum only shows the first few lines of the quote till you hit the "+"

The whole question was:

Any others??
Old 24th March 2014
Quote:
Hey Marcel - Sorry - the forum only shows the first few lines of the quote till you hit the "+"

The whole question was:

Any others??
Oh, I see. Delays will happen eventually, but not the first rev.
Old 24th March 2014
Curious about a non-mobile unit similar to Zen. As pointed out above, I don't think I have much use for the "goofy" handle and would prefer that it be stable in a rack even just have a removable handle. Thing looks amateurish (the handle that is). But the Opera clip sounded nice though the reverb left a bit to be desired. Seemed a bit grainy to me but that could be any of a number of things including my only giving it one brief listening.
Old 24th March 2014
Deleted User
This unit looks amazing. We are fortunate to have Marcel here sharing his knowledge- please show some respect.
Old 24th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Curious about a non-mobile unit similar to Zen. As pointed out above, I don't think I have much use for the "goofy" handle and would prefer that it be stable in a rack even just have a removable handle. Thing looks amateurish (the handle that is). But the Opera clip sounded nice though the reverb left a bit to be desired. Seemed a bit grainy to me but that could be any of a number of things including my only giving it one brief listening.
That reverb is Logic Space Designer, we'll have clips of our own soon. I'll post the "dry" files tonight too.

The unit and handle look great in person. I was frankly skeptical at first, but I love ZS! It's become my favorite Antelope product already!

In fact, I'm at LAX right now about to board a flight to see my friends at Sweetwater. I cleared Security with the Zen just minutes ago. I grabbed it by the handle and easily pulled it out to place it in the bin for scanning. Putting it back into the backpack was a breeze even while juggling my shoes, jacket, phone and belt etc. Anyone who flies with Zen Studio will NOT complain about the design, based on my experience a few minutes ago. You could say the handle came in quite........ "handy" :-)
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

So the Zen Studio looks like it doesn't have a 10M input like the Orion?
Old 25th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brew View Post
So the Zen Studio looks like it doesn't have a 10M input like the Orion?
No it doesn't. Although you can calibrate it to a 10M
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
This unit looks amazing. We are fortunate to have Marcel here sharing his knowledge- please show some respect.
???.
He works for a gear pimp. Challenging information is hardly disrespectful.
I bow only knowledge and facts.
Sound like a natural born fan boy.
Your comment is close minded and highly questionable.
Besides, Marcel sounds like a big boy to me.
This thread is off.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
No it doesn't. Although you can calibrate it to a 10M
Thanks for the info.
What's the difference between a 10m input and calibrating to a 10M?
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread is off.
I think it's pretty much back on…we just seemed to have a guy who kept trying to twist semantics and put words in Marcel's mouth, when he'd fairly clearly stated that, which the Eclipse's converters are measurably better than those in the Orion (and, now, the Zen) some people prefer the sound of the Orion's converters…not sure how you can argue against preference…and, that quality-wise, the clock is the same as the Trinity, even though it doesn't have all of the features that the Trinity has. Again, a factual statement, not a matter of opinion…which, for some reason, someone saw fit to "challenge". Over and over. As you said, Marcel is a big boy who explained himself well, and the thread seems to be back on track.
Old 25th March 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
What's the difference between a 10m input and calibrating to a 10M?
It's actually not a commonly known thing, but you can put Orion32, Trinity and Eclipse in "Calibration Mode" which is explained in the manuals. This basically uses an algorithm to "correct" for the drift of the crystal. It does drift back over time. I do calibrate my Orion32 each day before I start working. But, from my experience, it stays calibrated pretty close to the 10M setting (if you will) for about a week. The effect is a more accurate sounding L/R image (and solid center). It isn't to my ear the same as the 3D imaging sound of a 10M connected, but it's a very useful feature for getting the most out of the Antelope clocking circuit.

I just wanted to point it out in as much detail as I understand it, since you asked about the 10M input. The strategy is since this is more of a mobile solution, it would rarely be used with 10M. I really do think more people should try the Orion32 with a 10M, although people seem perfectly happy with Orion on it's own, as well.

Thanks for the support guys. Best to keep the thread focused on more practical and useful questions. I want all of you to see this thing up close before you draw your conclusions about it. I am enjoying it as much as my first recording system over 20 years ago! (dating myself now). But, it just has that empowering vibe about it. I can go anywhere and do anything with it, kind of thing. Having a pretty decent mastering room with several pieces of gear, it's really quite liberating to be able to bring something of this quality sonics around with me. My son tried to grab it out of my hand before I left this morning and I said "NO, my toy!"

Marcel

I did add the DRY files to the Dropbox folder with the opera soprano vocals.

Elisabetta Russo Zen Samples
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Does the Zen have a standalone mode which remembers the last powered-down configuration of i/o routing, DSP effects, etc that will be booted by default if there is no computer connection at the next power-up?
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Nut

Can the Orion be updated with firmware to have the FPGA/DSP effects?
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
It's actually not a commonly known thing, but you can put Orion32, Trinity and Eclipse in "Calibration Mode" which is explained in the manuals. This basically uses an algorithm to "correct" for the drift of the crystal. It does drift back over time. I do calibrate my Orion32 each day before I start working. But, from my experience, it stays calibrated pretty close to the 10M setting (if you will) for about a week. The effect is a more accurate sounding L/R image (and solid center). It isn't to my ear the same as the 3D imaging sound of a 10M connected, but it's a very useful feature for getting the most out of the Antelope clocking circuit.

I just wanted to point it out in as much detail as I understand it, since you asked about the 10M input. The strategy is since this is more of a mobile solution, it would rarely be used with 10M. I really do think more people should try the Orion32 with a 10M, although people seem perfectly happy with Orion on it's own, as well.

Thanks for the support guys. Best to keep the thread focused on more practical and useful questions. I want all of you to see this thing up close before you draw your conclusions about it. I am enjoying it as much as my first recording system over 20 years ago! (dating myself now). But, it just has that empowering vibe about it. I can go anywhere and do anything with it, kind of thing. Having a pretty decent mastering room with several pieces of gear, it's really quite liberating to be able to bring something of this quality sonics around with me. My son tried to grab it out of my hand before I left this morning and I said "NO, my toy!"

Marcel

I did add the DRY files to the Dropbox folder with the opera soprano vocals.

Elisabetta Russo Zen Samples
Thanks for the info about the calibration. I did not know about that function, I'd like to give it a try with the Orion
to see if I hear a noticeable improvement.

I'm still just a little confused regarding your first comment where you said that the Zen can be calibrated to the 10m, then you said that calibrating the Orion or trinity is similar to the 10m but there are noticeable differences.

So then is it correct that the only way to use the Zen with the 10m would be to use it along woth the trinity or ocx?
Old 25th March 2014
Overall this product hits the mark in so many ways that despite a few cosmetic issues, it is definitely on my short list for interface upgrades. I record mostly jazz and that means acoustic instruments and 12 usable channels is absolutely perfect for a Jazz quartet.

I completely understand the convenience of the handle when flying however I seriously doubt I will be traveling with my interface. For me I would like it allot better if it did not have the handle. I'm sure some will like it, I don't. Will that stop me from purchasing it? Maybe since it appears to be a box not designed for the purpose I want to use it for.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Nut

My issue with the handle is that surely anyone who is going to spend that amount on an interface is going to put it in a carrying device which negates the need for the handle in the first place.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
My issue with the handle is that surely anyone who is going to spend that amount on an interface is going to put it in a carrying device which negates the need for the handle in the first place.
They could have packaged it in it's own custom transport case.
Old 26th March 2014
Deleted User
Wow dude. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
???.
He works for a gear pimp. Challenging information is hardly disrespectful.
I bow only knowledge and facts.
Sound like a natural born fan boy.
Your comment is close minded and highly questionable.
Besides, Marcel sounds like a big boy to me.
This thread is off.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Nut

Im super excited that this is coming out and i can see it becoming my next interface for drums. Time to save some money
I thought that the dry files had a very natural sound
Old 26th March 2014
I think the handle is boss. Nobody complains about how the handle on an API lunchbox looks or how much function it provides. There are so many bands and smaller project studios that need to move gear around. It fits in a rack shelf AND can be moved around with a solid grip. Seems like a smart move.
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper.real View Post
Does the Zen have a standalone mode which remembers the last powered-down configuration of i/o routing, DSP effects, etc that will be booted by default if there is no computer connection at the next power-up?
Yes, it remembers settings and Presets are also recallable from the front panel.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsux View Post
Can the Orion be updated with firmware to have the FPGA/DSP effects?
The Orion32 can't be updated at this time for the effects, as it doesn't have the same DSP chip as Zen Studio.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
They could have packaged it in it's own custom transport case.
There are some options in the works as far as a case. Stay tuned on this. Product ships in mid-may, so we'll all learn more in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the info about the calibration. I did not know about that function, I'd like to give it a try with the Orion
to see if I hear a noticeable improvement.

I'm still just a little confused regarding your first comment where you said that the Zen can be calibrated to the 10m, then you said that calibrating the Orion or trinity is similar to the 10m but there are noticeable differences.

So then is it correct that the only way to use the Zen with the 10m would be to use it along woth the trinity or ocx?
Calibration is the same effect as with Orion or Trinity. The buttons you push is what differs. The Zen just won't slave to the 10M. Hope this helps clarify.

Regards,
Marcel
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Addict

Hi Marcel, this looks awesome! As someone working often on location, this looks like a future purchase to me - and love the form factor, 12 pres, etc. A great sounding reverb and delay in the DSP mixer would be great too. Put me in as someone who would love if the XLR inputs were locking (pass the word along!), but I can dig it. Thanks for letting us know your experience and info so far.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search