The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

does any one know if the monitor controller is relay based as in Eclipse ?
The video confirmed that it had the same clocking as trinity.

Of course it sucks big time that it is not rack montable.. and that handle on the side...It feels not needed..
Some products like Dangerous source release a Rack kit so you can mount it in the rack I hope you can do the same with the Zen studio...
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Meh. Not very attractive, dare I say cheap looking.
Antelope edge closer to the intermediate realm of mid-High End with another box not the all in one solution it's presented as.

Any idea what the RTL of this might be.
Function over form and design, nice attempt. RME UFX still does best what some of the more prestige audio companies are offering up to positively exploit the swollen and dwelling home studio market.
If this is based on Orion, working soft synths and Sims in real time will eliminate that end user as a viable customer. Or that was my experience with Orion.
Are you saying the UFX sounds better than the Orion 32?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Are you saying the UFX sounds better than the Orion 32?
"sounds"?...that's subjective my friend. Does Orion sound better than UFX? I don't think so. Subjective statement I know.
I wasn't impressed by it.

They both will make records. One is a very worry free 1u solution that gives boxes much more $$ a run for their money or surpasses most in performance whether anyone wants to accept that or not.
In this class of interface, RME still have the edge.
Old 15th March 2014
Thanks also to Vintage King for posting the Zen Studio for pre-order, plus the Sound On Sound video to their product page.

Pre-Order Zen Studio from Vintage King

Regards,
Marcel
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

Records with RME?

Quote:
"sounds"?...that's subjective my friend. Does Orion sound better than UFX? I don't think so. Subjective statement I know.

They both will make records. One is a very worry free 1u solution that gives boxes much more $$ a run for their money or surpasses most in performance whether anyone wants to accept that or not.

Who lives in LA or NY and makes records with RME? Are you kidding me? The products are good for home studios, but records being made? I think that might be a stretch, I'm in a lot of studios and I never see their products used to make professional recordings.

But on the other hand, I always see 10M clocks and other Antelope gear and assumed they were good. After investing in an Orion32 and a 10M I was blown away, it changed my product completely and made my other goodies (Manley, BAE, Rupert Neve, and Shadow Hills) sound great in my recordings.

Sorry Gene, I disagree.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Meh. Not very attractive, dare I say cheap looking.
Antelope edge closer to the intermediate realm of mid-High End with another box not the all in one solution it's presented as.

Any idea what the RTL of this might be.

Function over form and design, nice attempt. RME UFX still does best what some of the more prestige audio companies are offering up to positively exploit the swollen and dwelling home studio market.
If this is based on Orion, working soft synths and Sims in real time will eliminate that end user as a viable customer. Or that was my experience with Orion.
Awwww, c'mon, now. Tell Daddy what really happened.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
He did already say that the converters are the same.

I'm sure that it will impact the Orion to a degree, but there are enough differences that the Orion will clearly be a better choice for some people. An obvious difference is 32 analog ins and outs versus 20/14. Also having four clock outs on the Orion is a big advantage for a studio with several digital pieces that might need to be synchronized together (and a 10M input…I assume the Zen won't work with that). If you already have a studio full of preamps and other outboard gear the Orion makes a lot more sense. MADI I/O may be another advantage depending on what you're trying to integrate with.

Having said that, I'd agree that offering rack ears as an option for this would be a good idea...
Agreed.. I bought the orion because I didn't want any onboard pre's.
Plus the 32 analog I/O via DSUB, made it a no brainer for my portable rig.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm curious about the preamps. Class A doesn't really mean much to me... my digimax was Class A, and it was meh. Definitely not saying this will be a cheap sounding unit (far from it I'm sure) but it would be great to hear some preamp demos on drums, guitar, voice etc.

That's my only apprehension on this now... it really looks to be my next interface. Need something that I can lug to the rehearsal space, but can also use to track/mix at home. I know the conversion will be a leap above my focusrite 18i20, and I'm curious how it will sound compared to my experience with Mytek/Rosetta/Dangerous converters. This is my re-entry into professional conversion.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Also... are those inserts assignable? They don't look like they are specified for any 2 mic inputs. Not that that really matters, just curious about this box.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Can you use some external pre's with this unit ?

Can you bypass the internal pre's ?
Old 15th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Can you use some external pre's with this unit ?

Can you bypass the internal pre's ?
Already answered. Yes.
Old 15th March 2014
Quote:

I disagree... I had a UFX, which I liked. I upgraded to the Orion and feel it is decidedly better. The only thing I liked better was Totalmix.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empiria View Post
Already answered. Yes.
Didn't read the memo about reading all the answer…….
Old 15th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Also... are those inserts assignable? They don't look like they are specified for any 2 mic inputs. Not that that really matters, just curious about this box.
Actually, the inserts are fixed to channels 1 & 2, but since you can route the 1&2 A/D to any inputs of the DAW, then it doesn't really matter..

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper.real View Post
Awwww, c'mon, now. Tell Daddy what really happened.
I'm keeping those details to mesef mate!
Obviously you know I have had a crack with most of the newer interfaces.
For my use, (real time input) the RME UFX keeps us working unimpeded. Whereas some of these other great boxes are better suited for a Los Angeles mix Guy running big jobs.

To answer the other query as to why RME is not a LA/NY staple, not sure. I always flash back on how ns10's were integrated into pro audio...or protools.

The gentleman adding the 10m to O32 would be right in assuming it might out perform the UFX.
My point was more that these boxes are pitched as all in one solutions. They ain't. That's all. In this class, home, office or placed in a coveted LA studio, the UFX holds it's own, and delivers what it claims to have the capacity to deliver. Any one CAN make records with it.
I'm holding back for a few changes to the Titan, and that will do me. Graham Boswell and I are friends and I believe in his vision for the near future for the Titan. PrismSound are slow cooking something for later in the year or early next year.

I'm glad to see things differently of it means this topic gets discussed. Lot of assumptions made about these varying interfaces can be cleared up by end users of these boxes. What is best for a pre production demo producer/ songwriter might not suit a full time mix engineer or mastering engineer who receives a project ready for post.

I needed the O32 to just blow the UFX out of the water and it certainly did not IMO, sonically or for my work flow. If I said I reluctantly found myself back at the RME after all year searching and comparing, would that just be too hard to conceive?
Fwiw, I paid a consultant to provide me with performance details for some units. No willy nilly decision making, just the facts + my needs = solution.
That process popped alot of bubbles in my opinion.
Be well all :-)

Last edited by GeneHall; 15th March 2014 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm keeping those details to mesef mate!
Obviously you know I have had a crack with most of the newer interfaces.
For my use, (real time input) the RME UFX keeps us working unimpeded. Whereas some of these other great boxes are better suited for a Los Angeles mix Guy running big jobs.

To answer the other query as to why RME is not a LA/NY staple, not sure. I always flash back on how ns10's were integrated into pro audio...or protools.

The gentleman adding the 10m to O32 would be right in assuming it might out perform the UFX.
My point was more that these boxes are pitched as all in one solutions. They ain't. That's all. In this class, home, office or placed in a coveted LA studio, the UFX holds it's own, and delivers what it claims to have the capacity to deliver. Any one CAN make records with it.
I'm holding back for a few changes to the Titan, and that will do me. Graham Boswell and I are friends and I believe in his vision for the near future for the Titan. PrismSound are slow cooking something for later in the year or early next year.

I'm glad to see things differently of it means this topic gets discussed. Lot of assumptions made about these varying interfaces can be cleared up by end users of these boxes. What is best for a pre production demo producer/ songwriter might not suit a full time mix engineer or mastering engineer who receives a project ready for post.

I needed the O32 to just blow the UFX out of the water and it certainly did not IMO, sonically or for my work flow. If I said I reluctantly found myself back at the RME after all year searching and comparing, would that just be too hard to conceive?
Fwiw, I paid a consultant to provide me with performance details for some units. No willy nilly decision making, just the facts + my needs = solution.
That process popped alot of bubbles in my opinion.
Be well all :-)

Are you saying now is not a good time to buy the Titan ? one should wait ???
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Actually, the inserts are fixed to channels 1 & 2, but since you can route the 1&2 A/D to any inputs of the DAW, then it doesn't really matter..

Thanks,
Marcel
Hello Mr Marcel! Please check your PM.

Thank you
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Are you saying now is not a good time to buy the Titan ? one should wait ???
I'll pm you mate.
The titan is fine for most users. I think.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

USB 2

I read on sweetwater that this is USB 2 ....,

Get Real .....,

for new product thats only just showing its face (peeking around the corner actually ) ....,,

....., you would be thinking USB 3 and TB 2 (which BTW compatible with USB2 & TB1)

....., would be the NORM ?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll pm you mate.
The titan is fine for most users. I think.
alright good looking forward to your PM!
Old 16th March 2014
I can't explain the USB 2 versus 3 decision that these companies are making - but judging by the fact that Metric Halo (who definitely KNOW what they are doing) are soon releasing a bunch of new stuff based around USB 2 - I'm now confident that it is a more than adequate technology.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
I read on sweetwater that this is USB 2 ....,

Get Real .....,

for new product thats only just showing its face (peeking around the corner actually ) ....,,

....., you would be thinking USB 3 and TB 2 (which BTW compatible with USB2 & TB1)

....., would be the NORM ?
Who cares if it works?
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Who cares if it works?
Im not a computer expert , but..,

wouldnt TB2 and USB 3 provide lower latency ?,

.., as if you were to buy this unit,

- your intentions would be to record many tracks simultaneously, like a band doing a live take for example ..., and to acheive this ( you would need the lowest latency you could get , and a powerful computer which is up for the job , which (looking to the future , and to what is also currently available)
....., is likely to have either USB3 , or TB2 ports.

You would be wanting the lowest latency you can get , and design around that .

If there are "computer experts " out there who dont agree that USB3, & TB2 would provide better (ie;lower) latency over a USB2 on a well designed multi interface ..., then I shall stand corrected.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuene View Post
I can't explain the USB 2 versus 3 decision that these companies are making - but judging by the fact that Metric Halo (who definitely KNOW what they are doing) are soon releasing a bunch of new stuff based around USB 2 - I'm now confident that it is a more than adequate technology.
..., is there no room for improvement ?
..., the pace of computing Technology is rapidly gaining momentum.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

My 7 year old Apogee Ensemble can record 16 tracks (at 48khz) with no perceivable latency, so its not outside the realm of possibility that a newer device with newer drivers could swing a higher track count at a higher khz. Maybe I'm just hopeful since I already per-ordered one...
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
..., is there no room for improvement ?
..., the pace of computing Technology is rapidly gaining momentum.
i don't know, but Metric Halo knows. also I'm not comfortable with the tone of your pre-punctuation.
Old 17th March 2014
2ms extra that you derive from Thunderbolt aren't going to add up to enough to matter. Because, if you track through plugins in the DAW, you'll be adding latency anyway. There's no way to get around that, no matter the protocol.

What we did instead was focus on an extremely fast chip for our monitor fx and mixers. This is where you need near-zero latency.

We also chose the format that at the moment is compatible with nearly all computers out there.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuene View Post
I'm not comfortable with the tone of your pre-punctuation.

Quote:
2ms extra that you derive from Thunderbolt aren't going to add up to enough to matter. Because, if you track through plugins in the DAW, you'll be adding latency anyway. There's no way to get around that, no matter the protocol.

What we did instead was focus on an extremely fast chip for our monitor fx and mixers. This is where you need near-zero latency.
A good explanation ..., fair'nuff

Quote:
We also chose the format that at the moment is compatible with nearly all computers out there.

.., as latency in plugins and Daws improves with the technology it'll come down to the weakest link re; latency
(not that antelope can be called this though, its still a great product all the same)
but I still think there was room for improvement IMHO ..., as a USB2 plug can still operate at USB2 speeds via USB3 port.., likewise with TB1 plug into a TB2 port (not to mention daisy chaining capabilities,

...,though I still think It would have been better to gain improvements for current and future users at the expense of those who are still using USB 1 , as they would be the only user you would be excluding , and I can't see those dinosaur computers pushing the simultaneous track limit of the antelope.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

People still use USB1?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search