The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you compare/contrast the two from a conversion perspective? If they are indeed the same then it seems that the Zen would be a better investment for all its features. Won't that impact the Orion product? If the Orion 32 is not being superseded here, why would it be a possible better investment.
He did already say that the converters are the same.

I'm sure that it will impact the Orion to a degree, but there are enough differences that the Orion will clearly be a better choice for some people. An obvious difference is 32 analog ins and outs versus 20/14. Also having four clock outs on the Orion is a big advantage for a studio with several digital pieces that might need to be synchronized together (and a 10M input…I assume the Zen won't work with that). If you already have a studio full of preamps and other outboard gear the Orion makes a lot more sense. MADI I/O may be another advantage depending on what you're trying to integrate with.

Having said that, I'd agree that offering rack ears as an option for this would be a good idea...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

If it's really 45 mm, it's over the spec for single-space rack mounting.

19-inch rack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(remember that the Orion only has two fastener holes)

Anyway, I could sure use more outs (non-headphone)... don't need 12 mic pres most of the time no matter how good they are, and can't really justify the Orion's 32x32, either.

Even with those and a few other issues, I'm still considering the ZS.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
He did already say that the converters are the same.

I'm sure that it will impact the Orion to a degree, but there are enough differences that the Orion will clearly be a better choice for some people. An obvious difference is 32 analog ins and outs versus 20/14. Also having four clock outs on the Orion is a big advantage for a studio with several digital pieces that might need to be synchronized together (and a 10M input…I assume the Zen won't work with that). If you already have a studio full of preamps and other outboard gear the Orion makes a lot more sense. MADI I/O may be another advantage depending on what you're trying to integrate with.

Having said that, I'd agree that offering rack ears as an option for this would be a good idea...
Converters can be the same but circuitry around the converters can be different. I want to hear that the AD/DA process is identical just to make sure.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not sure if anyone has asked yet. But what does this do better than the US Apollo? It seems to be the closest competitor.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has asked yet. But what does this do better than the US Apollo? It seems to be the closest competitor.
3x the preamps and unlimited DSP, to start.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
I want to again clarify that "unlimited" just means you can use all effects on every channel of the (4) mixers.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanr View Post
The unanswered questions are usually a telling sign, not an accidental oversight. Leads me to believe that this unit is not rack-mountable, and we can't bypass those pres. It would be a real shame if this is the case, please correct me Clybourne.
I'm definitely interested in this. I'm still waiting on whether the pre's can be bypassed.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandak View Post
I'm definitely interested in this. I'm still waiting on whether the pre's can be bypassed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Yes, 1/4" is line level, so no mic pre.
Still unclear if you can use a XLR and still bypass them though, but supposedly 1/4" is line level.

That said, does anyone know if on devices like this using a line level truly bypasses the preamps circuitry all together? Like, is using the 1/4" in on one of the combo jacks EXACTLY the same as one of the inputs on the Dsub?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandak View Post
On the back of the unit it reads: "LINE - USE 1/4" JACK ONLY ! | MIC - USE XLR."

Who knows, though.
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
On the back of the unit it reads: "LINE - USE 1/4" JACK ONLY ! | MIC - USE XLR."
This is correct. Igor just confirmed for me.
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
If it's really 45 mm, it's over the spec for single-space rack mounting.

Even with those and a few other issues, I'm still considering the ZS.
Personally, if I shelved it, I'd give it two spaces, as I'm kind of anal and also provide my Orion32's a space on top.

Since I am also and end-user, my own preference would be to use this for both mobile and studio use and keep it in a bag/case with cable access that has maybe some rubber feet on the bag and the handle comes out of it. I think it could be made very cool looking and be extremely functional for in the studio AND on-the-go. That's my own honest take, though. I'll wait and see how cool the bag ends up being, before I panic.

For the rack users/lovers of the world, Orion won't be our last rack-mountable product.

Best Regards,
Marcel
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Metric Halo is in trouble.
Well, we should wait to hear it first shouldn't we?

The "faster, more powerful" DSP sounds cool, and as it stands it's I/O would actually suit my recording and mixing needs quite well...

Who knows, maybe it'll sound fantastic too, though in the Video he said it was aimed at those needing a more affordable setup.

Ted
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume Antelope used the same converter in the Orion 32? What level of Mic preamps are we talking about here? Is the USB soundcard (interface) used in the Zen the same one used in the Apollo or is it a totally different animal?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Well... I just ordered one from Sweetwater. Wish me luck!
Old 14th March 2014
please let us know when you receive it. congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebo View Post
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Thanks for your purchase. :-)

Thanks also to Sweetwater for posting the product for pre-order so quickly.

Antelope Audio Zen Studio | Sweetwater.com
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for your purchase. :-)

Thanks also to Sweetwater for posting the product for pre-order so quickly.

Antelope Audio Zen Studio | Sweetwater.com
No problem! good timing on your part and good timing from Sweetwater with the 36 month financing... Im switching from an Ensemble. I hope the converters are at least equal in quality (just with more I/O).

My only concern is my computer, its an "older" mac pro, NOT 64 bit, running OSX 10.6. At this point does it seem like I have any thing to worry about?
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
No problem! good timing on your part and good timing from Sweetwater with the 36 month financing... Im switching from an Ensemble. I hope the converters are at least equal in quality (just with more I/O).

My only concern is my computer, its an "older" mac pro, NOT 64 bit, running OSX 10.6. At this point does it seem like I have any thing to worry about?
I think you'll be very pleased quality-wise. I used to have an Ensemble too. Nice it's day. I remember being so happy upgrading to it from the Fireface800 at the time. The Ensemble followed well to external clocking too, so it was great for demos. A lot of people asked us to make something to pick up where that left off.

Best,
Marcel
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Another question, does the Zen Studio monitoring program work with the inputs directly - so the headphone and monitor mixes are pre-DAW (if desired)?
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Another question, does the Zen Studio monitoring program work with the inputs directly - so the headphone and monitor mixes are pre-DAW (if desired)?
Yes and you can route from the DAW to the mixer(s) too, in order to track/overdub.

Best,
Marcel
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

For the rack users/lovers of the world, Orion won't be our last rack-mountable product.

Best Regards,
Marcel
Looks like a cool product, not really what I'm looking for. Here's hoping for a 16 channel version of the Orion
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Looks like a cool product, not really what I'm looking for. Here's hoping for a 16 channel version of the Orion
Even at the Orion price you can't just go with the Orion32? It's priced at the level of most other 16 ch solutions.

Kind Regards,
Marcel
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Yes, Orion version with 16 channels is VERY good IDEA
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusicproduction View Post
Yes, Orion version with 16 channels is VERY good IDEA
Agree +1
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

USB in 2014?!

Really? I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone is making a new audio interface without either USB 3 or Thunderbolt connectivity. To me it's like making a computer monitor that only has a VGA input - even if I still have the connections or can use an adaptor when I invest in new technology I want it to use new technology.

Bummer, because looked like a pretty exciting box until I saw that it's connection is the same as my 10 year old printer.
Old 15th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Really? I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone is making a new audio interface without either USB 3 or Thunderbolt connectivity. To me it's like making a computer monitor that only has a VGA input - even if I still have the connections or can use an adaptor when I invest in new technology I want it to use new technology.

Bummer, because looked like a pretty exciting box until I saw that it's connection is the same as my 10 year old printer.
We have a much newer generation USB circuit than devices in the past. Latency is down below 3ms and we use the full bandwidth, which allows us to get 32 channels in and out up to 192khz on our Orion32, for example. The purpose of USB is compatibility with all computers, not just one brand. Apple uses these in there own production studios and new computer/OS test pool, btw.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post

Just for some perspective: I did two 30 second TV spots today and am finishing two episodes of a lifestyle show today, all on a 2-3 year old (can't remember) computer with USB 2 and firewire 400, Lynx TWO-B PCI (no "-e") converter.

If I can do that and get paid then I don't personally see the reason to upgrade for the sake of getting USB 3, FW800 or TB. There's simply no way it'll make me more money. And if Antelope has figured out how to let me get 32 channels in and out, and at high def, over USB 2?.... That's just pure awesome!

If you're making a living off of this stuff then there needs to be a return on investment, otherwise it's just tossing money away.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well the price looks to be really good, but what I like most is that it has a monitor controller..this save a lot money.
the Question is how the sound quality compares to eclipse and orion 32, and also the clocking... is it the same as orion and eclipse/trinity

Of course I miss AES connections... instead of ADAT..
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even at the Orion price you can't just go with the Orion32? It's priced at the level of most other 16 ch solutions.

Kind Regards,
Marcel
Very true. However, I never need over 16 channels (analog) + 2-4 channels (digital spdif coax). Plus a smaller rackspace (1u space) would be nicer, along with a smaller price point. Of course the Orion is a very great price, I just would like to see the above features in a smaller footprint IMO. No pres, just converters.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Meh. Not very attractive, dare I say cheap looking.
Antelope edge closer to the intermediate realm of mid-High End with another box not the all in one solution it's presented as.

Any idea what the RTL of this might be.
Function over form and design, nice attempt. RME UFX still does best what some of the more prestige audio companies are offering up to positively exploit the swollen and dwelling home studio market.
If this is based on Orion, working soft synths and Sims in real time will eliminate that end user as a viable customer. Or that was my experience with Orion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search