The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

12 class A preamps and all the rest on a 20w (from the retro view) power supply ? mmm…
Old 13th March 2014
if this USB is stable and reliable, and low latency, this looks like an extremely nice unit with all that IO and good conversion...

you can record 20 analogue channels at once? or you have to select between line or mic inputs?
Old 13th March 2014
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
if this USB is stable and reliable, and low latency, this looks like an extremely nice unit with all that IO and good conversion...

you can record 20 analogue channels at once? or you have to select between line or mic inputs?
The USB has been stable on Orion32 since last summer and this is the same driver and circuit.

As I mentioned a bit ago, you can record up to 24 channels, so you can combine the mic, line and digital inputs.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Does using the 1/4" ins on the combo input jacks completely bypass the mic pres? They would come in handy for me now - but down to the road, as my collection grows it would be an issue...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post

On board DSP and effects mean latency shouldn't be a worry at all!
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebo View Post
Does using the 1/4" ins on the combo input jacks completely bypass the mic pres? They would come in handy for me now - but down to the road, as my collection grows it would be an issue...
Yes, 1/4" is line level, so no mic pre.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Yes, 1/4" is line level, so no mic pre.
Could XLR be switched to line level as well?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Regarding the SOS video: wow... infinite DSP and mastering-grade mic pres?

Seriously though, the ZS looks great.

There's still no "just right" interface out there for me, but this is a contender for an upgrade.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Regarding the SOS video: wow... infinite DSP and mastering-grade mic pres?

Seriously though, the ZS looks great.

There's still no "just right" interface out there for me, but this is a contender for an upgrade.
Yes, Andreas is new to these sort of interviews and he misspoke there, although I'm very impressed with the job he's doing with them overall. I know how difficult they can be. Of course we don't use mic preamps when mastering (at least I don't), though Joe Gastwirt uses a BAE as a line amp. :-)

Also, what he means by unlimited is you can use the effects on every channel of the 4 monitor mixers and not max out the DSP.

Kind Regards,
Marcel
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, Andreas is new to these sort of interviews and he misspoke there, although I'm very impressed with the job he's doing with them overall. I know how difficult they can be. Of course we don't use mic preamps when mastering (at least I don't), though Joe Gastwirt uses a BAE as a line amp. :-)

Also, what he means by unlimited is you can use the effects on every channel of the 4 monitor mixers and not max out the DSP.

Kind Regards,
Marcel
Just kidding, I'd be hard-pressed to do half as well.
Old 13th March 2014
Some "louis vuitton" inside... heh
Old 13th March 2014
has it the same converters like the orion?

will i get the latency as low as with the orion (2,6ms)?

thanks.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by napnap View Post
has it the same converters like the orion?

will i get the latency as low as with the orion (2,6ms)?

thanks.
Yes, same converters and same latency.

It's also important to remember that with the enhanced monitoring engine in Zen Studio, latency just isn't much concern. You can run up to 4 mixers and effects on all channels and monitor at near-zero latency altogether.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, same converters and same latency.

It's also important to remember that with the enhanced monitoring engine in Zen Studio, latency just isn't much concern. You can run up to 4 mixers and effects on all channels and monitor at near-zero latency altogether.

1 last question. Is it really easy/possible to take the carry handle off the side ?

It would fit easier into a studio setup which is what i want this unit for.

Many thanks
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear
Hey Marcel,

Could you confirm whether the Zen Studio will be available in other colours?

This pic from the other thread seems to indicate so:-
Old 13th March 2014
Is it possible to rackmount this?

If I brought one I would only ever want use it in a studio.

Cheers Keith.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Clybourne,

Two unanswered questions so far..
1. Can rack ears be retrofitted to make it rack mountable?
2. Can it receive line level signal, bypassing the preamp when a XLR cable is connected? Or is that DSUB only (plus TRS)?

Thanks.
Old 13th March 2014
The unanswered questions are usually a telling sign, not an accidental oversight. Leads me to believe that this unit is not rack-mountable, and we can't bypass those pres. It would be a real shame if this is the case, please correct me Clybourne.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Clybourne,

2. Can it receive line level signal, bypassing the preamp when a XLR cable is connected? Or is that DSUB only (plus TRS)?

Thanks.
And if I may add to these legit questions, I'd like to know from Antelope users so far, how they Antelope Windows (7 going up to 8 )Drivers lived up to day? How rock solid are they compare to RME?

Thanks,
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

+1 for is it rackmountable?

It's definitely on my list if it is.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

To be a "complete interface solution" shouldn't it have midi I/o? ...or is it in there and I missed it?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Clybourne,

Thanks.

I would appreciate this information also
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I would appreciate this information also
I think he is cornered. lol. But the guy in the video said it wouldnt be rackable.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't think its rackable but if you could remove the handle it would look cleaner on a shelf etc. In the video i can see a red, yellow and black version. I quite like the yellow in a funny way actually hahaha
Old 13th March 2014
Guys, I wasn't ignoring your questions or "cornered", I went to bed at midnight and got up at 8am then took my aunt to the airport, like a good nephew. :-)

It's obvious the unit has a handle and isn't a standard rackable audio device, however clearly we've built professional audio equipment for many years and much thought has gone into a strategy for Zen Studio. I don't yet have all the details about how various user needs will be resolved, however let me give you as much information from my vantage point as possible.

There will be a carrying bag, if not multiple options that will be made to fit the Zen Studio along with other items you'd want to carry with you. One plan is to have a bag that allows the mobile engineer to carry the unit using the handle, but for the rest of the unit to be inside padded and somewhat vented bag, so that he/she could carry some cables inside and open velcro flaps on front and bag to access the unit, while keeping inside the protective case/bag.

Another solution would be a rack shelf (either custom or standard) for studio users. The handle does not need to be removed, because the unit itself is just over 15" which allows enough space to rest on a shelf, while still allowing for use of the side-mounted ADAT connections, as well. I'm sending the unit's dimensions below in order to allow you to plan ahead and check your current bags and racks. I've also been told we will include some rubber feet to keep the unit from sliding during tabletop use.

We are discussing for the future a rack mount version that may or may not add other features to the Zen Studio, but keep in mind. The Orion32 was designed for use in a studio, while the Zen is designed to be a "studio" in it's own right for users on-the-go.

As for MIDI, there are so many options for USB to MIDI and all seem to work just fine on computers with Orion32, that it hasn't been something we've had requests for. Most MIDI controllers have a USB on it already these days, so we just felt using the available space for something like S/PDIF would be more useful, as we don't have AES, there needed to be some way to send a professional 2 channels of digital out or in and S/PDIF can be easily adapted to AES.

As for the colors, I only know that RED is the initial shipping color, but that as we receive requests for other colors, we will consider how many and when we can build the others. I believe the plan was to ask Messe attendees which colors they liked most and proceed from there.

Keep the questions coming. We greatly appreciate them!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Clybourne, thanks for all the answers. I was about to purchase the Orion 32 for the studio and am wondering if I should wait for the Zen. Can you compare/contrast the two from a conversion perspective? If they are indeed the same then it seems that the Zen would be a better investment for all its features. Won't that impact the Orion product? If the Orion 32 is not being superseded here, why would it be a possible better investment. Please clarify.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Metric Halo is in trouble.

This will be the perfect studio-in-a-box. Unlimited DSP. 12 Mic Pres. This is the kind of piece you can run standalone and not need 14 racks of gear for. Could care less if it's not rack mountable. I think many people on this board seem to forget the modern project studio does not revolve around racks and racks of gear, but more-so an interface, some microphones, and some monitors.
Old 13th March 2014
Thanks also for the answer.

Just to share my perspective with you as a potential customer, as soon as I saw the (great!) specs for the Zen I pictured it as my sole interface in my rack. For me the portability means zero, and makes the product less appealing, not more.

I'm sure there is a sound product strategy and a large market who do want this as a portable, but my hunch is there's another real and sizeable market: guys like me who just wished the thing had rack ears. For me this device would let me replace 3 devices with one, and get more IO. It'd be a no-brainer if it were rackable (without the messy hacks I'll have to resort to).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search