The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Addict

No dice man. I tried everything you said, and my session is playing back slow and distorted, and I get this error message (Sample Rate 39998 recognized).
Any more ideas?

Using an early 2011 MacBook Pro, 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.3.
Running Logic Prp X
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Addict

Scratch that, i turned the unit off, then back on again, and all seems to be working fine Sounds nice. More to come.
Old 22nd June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
Scratch that, i turned the unit off, then back on again, and all seems to be working fine Sounds nice. More to come.
Ok, sounds good. At times, yes unseating the USB and plugging back in can get the mac to see it properly. Once you're up and running, you should now be good.

Thanks for your purchase. Have fun!
Marcel
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Addict

Marcel, I am sure you guys are already working on this, but some ZEN STUDIO specific help vids on the youtube channel, and website would be pretty killer.
Old 22nd June 2014
Quote:
Marcel, I am sure you guys are already working on this, but some ZEN STUDIO specific help vids on the youtube channel, and website would be pretty killer.
We are actually doing one now that we'll post next week breaking down the Control Panel. We'll also be doing more, yes. The thing is, the final touches were just being put into the software, so we couldn't do the videos until we had a shipping version. :-)

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
We are actually doing one now that we'll post next week breaking down the Control Panel. We'll also be doing more, yes. The thing is, the final touches were just being put into the software, so we couldn't do the videos until we had a shipping version. :-)

Thanks,
Marcel
Completely understandable. One more, and I am done for today....
It would be super cool, if you could zoom, or even make the control panel full screen heh

Thanks so much for all your help sir!
Old 22nd June 2014
Quote:
Completely understandable. One more, and I am done for today....
It would be super cool, if you could zoom, or even make the control panel full screen heh

Thanks so much for all your help sir!
I use the Control button shortcut and scroll my mouse or pad on laptop feature on the mac to zoom all the time for zooming to all kinds of things. On Mavericks you set it in Accessibility, on older versions of OS it's somewhere in System Preferences, as well.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I use the Control button shortcut and scroll my mouse or pad on laptop feature on the mac to zoom all the time for zooming to all kinds of things. On Mavericks you set it in Accessibility, on older versions of OS it's somewhere in System Preferences, as well.

Thanks,
Marcel

Any particular reason for this to stay frozen while checking for updates?
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping-screen-shot-2014-06-22-4.38.02-pm.png  
Old 23rd June 2014
Quote:
Any particular reason for this to stay frozen while checking for updates?
Please try the update again.

Also, guys please use our Help Desk for questions, instead of the forums. I wanted to jump on this customer's early questions as it was the weekend, but our team has to make sure we can support everyone in an organized manner. Zen uses the same drivers as the successful Orion32, so we have simple notes to follow if something arises, which should be rare.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 24th June 2014
Zen Recording Tabla, Sarangi, & Sitar

Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

I was very fortunate last weekend to put the Zen through the paces...

1. Very easy to set up - the control panel was a breeze, completely impressed with it's ease of use.
2. The sound quality is exactly what I'd expect from Antelope - used two mics (Shure SM57 and an AT4040) on a Vox AC-30. Converters are awesome - clean/crisp, great mic pres!
3. No Latency issues! Again, Impressive! Not sure why folks think USB isn't up to the task, it's a no brainer - my Orion 32 is flawlessly put to work around the clock in my studio using all 32 channels.
4. Monitor/headphone controls worked without a hitch.
5. Superior clock, this is one of the secrets behind it's sound - competitors don't even mention clocking. (hint hint Apollo)
5. No driver issues whatsoever!

The Zen is clearly pro-audio, having spent time with/owned competitive brands, I feel Antelope (in general) is a professional improvement overall, but in this case the quality/technology behind the Zen is why it's unique, Antelope knows converters and clocking (like no others) plain and simple!!!! After a series of shoot-outs, I found the Zen sounded better than Apollo or RME just to name a couple.

Hope this helps!
www.plasticdogrecording.com

Last edited by EdBob; 2nd July 2014 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBob View Post
I was very fortunate last weekend to put the Zen through the paces...

1. Very easy to set up - the control panel was a breeze, completely impressed with it's ease of use.
2. The sound quality is exactly what I'd expect from Antelope - used two mics (Sure SM57 and an AT4040) on a Vox AC-30. Converters are awesome - clean/crisp, great mic pres!
3. No Latency issues! Again, Impressive! Not sure why folks think USB isn't up to the task, it's a no brainer - my Orion 32 is flawlessly put to work around the clock in my studio using all 32 channels.
4. Monitor/headphone controls worked without a hitch.
5. Superior clock, this is one of the secrets behind it's sound - competitors don't even mention clocking. (hint hint Apollo)
5. No driver issues whatsoever!

The Zen is clearly pro-audio, having spent time with/owned competitive brands, I feel Antelope (in general) is a professional improvement overall, but in this case the quality/technology behind the Zen is why it's unique, Antelope knows converters and clocking (like no others) plain and simple!!!! After a series of shoot-outs, I found the Zen sounded better than Apollo or RME just to name a couple.

Hope this helps!
Good to hear some positive comments on the Zen. Which platform (OS) are you using with the Zen? I'm on OSX and it seems most OSX folks are getting along good with the Zen. Also, per the mic pres, could you offer some general comparisons with other well known mic pres as to how the Zen sounds? I'm coming from the Apogee camp and am interested in switching over to the Zen (mainly for the flexible routing it offers) and would love some more detailed descriptions of the Zen's pres as the quality of those pres are my only real concern. Thanks for any additional comments you could post regarding those pres.

Todd
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvehead View Post
Good to hear some positive comments on the Zen. Which platform (OS) are you using with the Zen? I'm on OSX and it seems most OSX folks are getting along good with the Zen. Also, per the mic pres, could you offer some general comparisons with other well known mic pres as to how the Zen sounds? I'm coming from the Apogee camp and am interested in switching over to the Zen (mainly for the flexible routing it offers) and would love some more detailed descriptions of the Zen's pres as the quality of those pres are my only real concern. Thanks for any additional comments you could post regarding those pres.

Todd
Hi Todd,

As you suspected, I too am using OSX and came from the Apogee camp as well. There was a time when I used 2 Ensembles - very reliable, loved the sound, then I found Antelope. The converters are a step up and so are the Zen's pres.

www.plasticdogrecording.com

Last edited by EdBob; 2nd July 2014 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Addict

Good to hear that sort of info from another Apogee user. I've been using a Quartet ever since they first came out and have been happy with it overall. I just need lots more routing flexibility and lots more I/O. The Symphony line is cool but not near the bargain as what the Zen Studio looks to be, at least for my needs (primarily remote eSesson guitar work). I'm in the process of thinning out some of my lesser-needed gear to fund a Zen purchase and my only real reservations about switching from the Apogee to the Antelope was how those Antelope Zen pres would compare with my Quartet pres. A lateral move would be fine, but I definitely didn't want to risk taking a step backwards in preamp quality. Your input here is much appreciated and reassuring. Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

funny pointing of the 421 …

but sounds good !

Quote:
Old 3rd July 2014
The early reactions to the Zen Studio have been overwhelmingly positive.

"I love the clean sound of the Zen Mic Pre's. It allows me to get the sound I want from the source and the mics that I choose."
Brian Vibberts (4 time Grammy winner)

"I immediately noticed during play back that i was back in the company of high end conversion. The depth, and the width of the sound field was very noticeable. The low end sounded very tight and controlled for lack of a better term. It wasn't loose, and unpredictable."
Chad Gonzales (Sweetwater customer review)
Antelope Audio Zen Studio Reviews | Sweetwater.com

"Very easy to set up" "Converters are awesome - clean/crisp, great mic pres!" "Monitor/headphone controls worked without a hitch." "No driver issues whatsoever!"
Colin & Nick
Plastic Dog Recording

"So far the test recordings have been outstanding in quality. I have made preamp tests with high end preamps (Great river, GML etc.) and DI boxes (REDDI, Little LABS). I was amazed how big (bass frequencies around 100Hz) the preamps and hiz input sound, and the top end is crisp and clear, as promised. AD-DA converters sound excellent"
Mikko Myllykoski, Finland
University of Jyväskylä, Department of Music

More to come,,
Old 3rd July 2014
The early reactions to the Zen Studio have been overwhelmingly positive.

"I love the clean sound of the Zen Mic Pre's. It allows me to get the sound I want from the source and the mics that I choose."
Brian Vibberts (4 time Grammy winner)

"I immediately noticed during play back that i was back in the company of high end conversion. The depth, and the width of the sound field was very noticeable. The low end sounded very tight and controlled for lack of a better term. It wasn't loose, and unpredictable."
Chad Gonzales (Sweetwater customer review)
Antelope Audio Zen Studio Reviews | Sweetwater.com

"Very easy to set up" "Converters are awesome - clean/crisp, great mic pres!" "Monitor/headphone controls worked without a hitch." "No driver issues whatsoever!"
Colin & Nick
Plastic Dog Recording

"So far the test recordings have been outstanding in quality. I have made preamp tests with high end preamps (Great river, GML etc.) and DI boxes (REDDI, Little LABS). I was amazed how big (bass frequencies around 100Hz) the preamps and hiz input sound, and the top end is crisp and clear, as promised. AD-DA converters sound excellent"
Mikko Myllykoski, Finland
University of Jyväskylä, Department of Music

More to come,,
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Addict

Ok...so I ordered a Zen and can't wait for it to arrive. Oddly enough a friend emailed me late last night and was interested in buying my Quartet, so he came over today to test it out on his MBP (albeit on my system) and then he went ahead and bought my Quartet on the spot. Needless to say I was on the phone an hour later and ordered the Zen. So now my home studio is *down* until the Zen arrives but it's a holiday weekend so I wasn't going to get any work done anyways. Can't wait to reroute my reamping rig (mics, pres, outboard, amps, cabs, etc) with the Zen. Once I get things setup with the Zen I'm thinking my workflow will be much easier as far as patching in mic pres, 500 modules, especially with the DB25 I/O, etc. And I especially can't wait to test out those Zen pres as well!
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok...so I ordered a Zen and can't wait for it to arrive. Oddly enough a friend emailed me late last night and was interested in buying my Quartet, so he came over today to test it out on his MBP (albeit on my system) and then he went ahead and bought my Quartet on the spot. Needless to say I was on the phone an hour later and ordered the Zen. So now my home studio is *down* until the Zen arrives but it's a holiday weekend so I wasn't going to get any work done anyways. Can't wait to reroute my reamping rig (mics, pres, outboard, amps, cabs, etc) with the Zen. Once I get things setup with the Zen I'm thinking my workflow will be much easier as far as patching in mic pres, 500 modules, especially with the DB25 I/O, etc. And I especially can't wait to test out those Zen pres as well!
Man that worked out pretty sweet! Sounds like you are going to have a killer rig!
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Addict

Yes it did! I mentioned selling the Quartet to my friend a couple weeks ago but he was on vacation so I figured it'd be a while before he was ready to buy, otherwise I figured I would put it on eBay and keep my fingers crossed. I never even had to worry about all that as it all happened so fast. He needed that Quartet for his set-up and it was in his price range so everyone was happy. Funny how stuff works out sometimes!
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes it did! I mentioned selling the Quartet to my friend a couple weeks ago but he was on vacation so I figured it'd be a while before he was ready to buy, otherwise I figured I would put it on eBay and keep my fingers crossed. I never even had to worry about all that as it all happened so fast. He needed that Quartet for his set-up and it was in his price range so everyone was happy. Funny how stuff works out sometimes!

Have any friends that need an apogee duet? heh
Old 6th July 2014
Quote:
Saw your positive post about the Zen in use on the other thread. Great to hear!

Marcel
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Saw your positive post about the Zen in use on the other thread. Great to hear!

Marcel
Yes I am very happy about the Zen's performance so far! Very glad I pulled the trigger and made the switch to Antelope! The Apogee Quartet I was using was good but the Antelope Zen Studio is definitely a few steps up sonically. Again, as I mentioned in the other thread you referenced, I already have a sense that I'll be able to trust what the Zen tells me sonically (and if a day comes when I need more I/O for more outboard I'll definitely be looking at the Orion32). There's an elusive quality to how the Zen sounds that is hard to describe other than it just sounds 'real'...Looking forward to doing work with the Zen.

Last edited by mauvehead; 6th July 2014 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 6th July 2014
Quote:
Yes I am very happy about the Zen's performance so far! Very glad I pulled the trigger and made the switch to Antelope! The Apogee Quartet I was using was good but the Antelope Zen Studio is definitely a few steps up sonically. Again, as I mentioned in the other thread you referenced, I already have a sense that I'll be able to trust what the Zen tells me sonically (and if a day comes when I need more I/O for more outboard I'll definitely be looking at the Orion32). There's an elusive quality to how the Zen sounds that is hard to describe other than it just sounds 'real'...Looking forward to doing work with the Zen.
That's been how a lot of people describe Orion and they are selling more than ever after being available now 18 months, so I'm encouraged by the brunt of the initial Zen responses.

Marcel
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's been how a lot of people describe Orion and they are selling more than ever after being available now 18 months, so I'm encouraged by the brunt of the initial Zen responses.

Marcel
Glad to be a new Antelope user. I've had more time today to listen to various material through the Zen and my initial impressions from when I first plugged in the Zen yesterday are holding true. The thing that impresses me the most is how natural and true things sound, yet nothing seems hyped or *enhanced* balance-wise across the spectrum. Honestly the Zen sounds more like a $5k-$6k dedicated convertor. Would love to feed the Zen into a $100k set of mains somewhere and then just lose myself in whatever happens. The Zen is definitely on that level sonically. Keeps putting a big smile on my face...
Old 8th July 2014
Zen Studio Control Panel Tour

Here's a new Zen Studio Control Panel Tour video.

Old 16th July 2014
Antelope at Summer NAMM

Come see the Zen and Orion32 up close at this week's Summer NAMM if you're in or around Nashville.

July 17-19, 2014, Music City Center
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Booth No.257
Old 5th August 2014
Front Panel Tour of Zen

Here's a closer look at the front panel of Zen Studio

Also, a new video interview with Igor Levin about the Zen's design philosophy.

Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hello @Marcel!

I'm still on the search for my next soundcard upgrade in my studio and I've watched all the Zen Studio videos you guys have come up showing up the Control pannel, included DSP plugins etc.. etc.. My question is that I heard you guys saying that there'll be more plugins to be developed for ZenStudio and right now you guys have covered Eq-Compressor. I was wondering when are you guys are going to bring more plugins especially a very nice Reverb & Delay to be able to send that to a vocalist while recording??? Hope that you guys are planning to bring those additional powered plugins very soon especially the Reverb for me as when I'm recording with singers, they always ask for one ;-)

Thanks for your answer ;-)
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hello @Marcel!

I'm still on the search for my next soundcard upgrade in my studio and I've watched all the Zen Studio videos you guys have come up showing up the Control pannel, included DSP plugins etc.. etc.. My question is that I heard you guys saying that there'll be more plugins to be developed for ZenStudio and right now you guys have covered Eq-Compressor. I was wondering when are you guys are going to bring more plugins especially a very nice Reverb & Delay to be able to send that to a vocalist while recording??? Hope that you guys are planning to bring those additional powered plugins very soon especially the Reverb for me as when I'm recording with singers, they always ask for one ;-)

Thanks for your answer ;-)
The eta for a reverb is about 1 month. Not sure about delay, but I know it's coming at some point, as well as amp simulation. Igor talks about this in his interview.

Regards,
Marcel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search