The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Zen Studio (complete interface solution) now shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 17th April 2014
  #271
Lives for gear
 

This looks like a fantastic convertor for live/touring use.
Old 18th April 2014
  #272
more mixes

I also think it would great if 6 mixes were possible, even if eq and effects would be less available because of dsp limitations.If the only eq available would be high pass and I could have 6 submixes to send to individual musicians for headphone mixes this would be great.I could send them reverb if needed from the daw as any small delay doesn't matter.On this subject, it was mentioned these mixes might be midi controllable.Would it be possible to control these mixes from an android ala one of the various digital mixers out there? This would be a great solution for a smaller studio or location setup.Thanks looking forward to hearing this box

Mike


Quote:
Originally Posted by Louper View Post
Hi Clybourne,

Is there any chance that devs can squeeze in 2 more mixes to the software?
We are a 5 man band and would be great to do the 5 stereo monitor mixes + the 1 main out in one place.
(I know we could create additional mixes in the DAW and route them to any output pair, but it is not that nice.)

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Louper
Old 22nd April 2014
  #273
Well I just checked in my portable rack at 30.1kg, by my calculation the Zen will help me shed approx 11 kg. That'll save me a heap in excess baggage fees. Looking forward to the crossgrade!
Old 24th April 2014
  #274
Zen Studio inspires new Web Show series

Old 25th April 2014
  #275
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

You talk about using two Zens via the digital i/o.

I it possible to use 2 Zens via USB and have the mixer recognise the both of them and use all the capabilities of both (including routing between each other), like with Metric Halo products?
Old 26th April 2014
  #276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
You talk about using two Zens via the digital i/o.

I it possible to use 2 Zens via USB and have the mixer recognise the both of them and use all the capabilities of both (including routing between each other), like with Metric Halo products?
Not at this time, however all the ADAT i/o would be available on the device that is connected and presets can be saved, but it's a good question as far as controlling mic preamps and I've forwarded it to our developer team.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 26th April 2014
  #277
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Not at this time, however all the ADAT i/o would be available on the device that is connected and presets can be saved, but it's a good question as far as controlling mic preamps and I've forwarded it to our developer team.

Thanks,
Marcel
Thanks would be great if it were possible to cascade.
Would imagine it's a completely software related problem/solution rather than hardware. All those digital and analog channels on a couple of usb ports would be amazing.
Old 27th April 2014
  #278
Gear Head
 

Please people.... I read still people are talking about usb3, please keep the difference between bandwith and real speed.
USB3 does not give a lot less latency but can only be iseable for more channels i/o

That said, i would love the zen! Great a unit with 12 mic pre's!
Only thing i will miss is that it only can have 24i/o 's.
I don't like ProTools so arguments about that ProTools is limited... proTools has always be limited to OS and interfaces. I use mainly Logic and Sequoia (for classical music) no limitations.

I have enough with 32 inputs. Mainly recording classical music so almost never use so much i/o together.
Would love the posibility to have al the 38 inputs to record and lose 10 channels output, but other need them, compromise..... but that would be cool te be flexible in that matter but that would be difficult to make.

Other.....
Is it possible to use 2 zen's without making an aggregate device?

EDIT: Until now not possible to use 2 zen's in one driver, but would be great to use 2 en's on usb and get 48 channels of recording and mixing, cascade them over usb
Old 29th April 2014
  #279
Gear Addict
 
mauvehead's Avatar
 

Marcel...

I'm putting in a plug for adding continuously variable phase alignment functionality to the onboard effects (think Little Labs IBP or Radial's Phazer).

Also, I too would like some sort of rack-mount option for the Zen. Mainly because I like hauling one rack of gear (mainly mic pres and power conditioner) to onsite recording sessions.

Also, after scouring all through this thread I wanted to touch on something you mentioned earlier about the Zen possibly being 32 channel capable over USB (assuming at a lower sample rate). Could you elaborate on that more please? Is that possible now or is that something that would need to come at a later date/revision? Are there any specs on this aspect of the Zen yet that you can post?

It's looking more and more like my Apogee is heading to eBay... :-)
Old 30th April 2014
  #280
Gear Addict
 
plunderpot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvehead View Post
I'm putting in a plug for adding continuously variable phase alignment functionality to the onboard effects (think Little Labs IBP or Radial's Phazer).
I'd love this kind of idea if it could be implemented well!!
Old 1st May 2014
  #281
I frankly don't know if the Zen will ever allow for 32 channels over USB. The unit has a max of 20 analog inputs and 14 outputs, but I will again pass this request onto our developers.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 1st May 2014
  #282
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
I frankly don't know if the Zen will ever allow for 32 channels over USB. The unit has a max of 20 analog inputs and 14 outputs, but I will again pass this request onto our developers.

Thanks,
Marcel
It is great that you pass our requests, thanks for that!
32 channels is in this case a strange amount, but 28 would be great!
20 analoge and 8 adat 96kHz) or... 36 in 48kHz

But maybe 2 zen's would be a better idea but then... cascade/chain would be the best solution because then you could use 40 analoge 192kHz on 2 usb connections. If you use the ADAT like pointed out in the movie then you never can get the 12 channels in the other Zen, only if you use a 48kHz (16channels). If there would be a solution with cascading 2 units into the driver, then you can record 48 channels 192kHz (with a preamps/converters that support also 192kHz on ADAT). I know it is not what everybody need but i record a lot on location, big orchestra's and then this would be great!
Old 2nd May 2014
  #283
Lives for gear
 
Avening's Avatar
 

Hi Marcel,

Would you be able to speak a little about the preamp design/characteristics? I have no doubt you guys nailed the conversion, as we'd all expect you to do. However, preamps are uncharted territory for Antelope. Is this a standard PGA2500 design, or did you guys go out and try something new? And in your experience so far, how would you describe they way they sound?

Thanks for any info. Zen looks fantastic.
Old 5th May 2014
  #284
Gear Head
 

One more vote for a rackmount option. This is a device capable of 20 analog inputs; that means that its users will be hauling a lot of gear around. Mics, cables, stands, preamps, headphone amps, gaffer's tape, etc. People doing that in any serious way do not want a lot of little bags and cases; they want as few pieces to carry around as possible. Further, there will be a lot of gear that will almost ALWAYS be hooked up to this; only by rackmounting this can one avoid having to plug and unplug everything at every gig. I can see this form factor for small operations recording two tracks, but with everything ELSE involved in live multitrack recording (or mobile studio multitrack recording), the form factor would be the ONE thing that turns me off to this device. Please, please, find a way to make this thing rack-mountable. Please.


Long ago I had an MBox and the associated cool bag, and it was frustrating because the bag didn't even hold everything i needed for stereo recording (not even mentioning mic stands). Later I had a Traveler, and used it exactly ONCE outside of a rack, for some nature recordings in the woods. Still it was clumsy. MOTU made a nifty bag (which i didn't buy) that wouldn't hold even enough for stereo recording. For my usual usage, recording 8 or so channels, I needed other rack gear and it was of course easier to rackmount the Traveler as well. So for those seeking this out as an improvement in quality I/O count over other "small" interfaces (i.e., 1U), it's just very unlikely that there won't already be a rack of gear involved. Seriously, can you give us a few examples of what situations one might use this interface and NOT prefer it to be rackmounted? I can't think of any that involve recording more than one or two channels, or, say, editing on a plane.

For further consideration - even accepting this form factor - a bag where you hold the handle that sticks out? Seriously? At least provide a shoulder strap. It will already be awkward to carry the little bag along with other items necessary for recording - don't make it have to occupy a hand.

Please, let us know that SOMEONE is actually imagining this thing being used? Explain their thought processes?


I am only being critical here because everything else about this looks so good. Dreamlike, even. Please don't ruin it with a form factor that would make me hate using it!
Old 5th May 2014
  #285
Gear Maniac
 

I too would like to see a rack-mountable option for when it sits at home (or in a travel rig), but also keep the option of the carry handle which could be useful at times. I would also welcome the addition of Thunderbolt. I'm not sure if I want to buy into USB2 for the long-term.

It's still an impressive unit though, and full credit to Antelope for thinking outside of the box.
Old 5th May 2014
  #286
Gear Addict
 
mauvehead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Hi Marcel,

Would you be able to speak a little about the preamp design/characteristics? I have no doubt you guys nailed the conversion, as we'd all expect you to do. However, preamps are uncharted territory for Antelope. Is this a standard PGA2500 design, or did you guys go out and try something new? And in your experience so far, how would you describe they way they sound?

Thanks for any info. Zen looks fantastic.
I'd second this request. Any additional info on the built-in pres would be most helpful. Would be nice if they hold their own alongside some of my outboard. :-)
Old 5th May 2014
  #287
Gear Addict
 
mauvehead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
I frankly don't know if the Zen will ever allow for 32 channels over USB. The unit has a max of 20 analog inputs and 14 outputs, but I will again pass this request onto our developers.

Thanks,
Marcel
I too would much appreciate more simultaneous input channels (24+) even if it meant being limited to lower sample rates. Seems a shame to have so many I/O options on a device but not being able to use all of them to send/receive audio to DAW. :-)
Old 5th May 2014
  #288
Gear Head
 

Or, perhaps the best of both worlds - a means of quickly "snapping" the device into a rack, and of quickly removing it for whatever scenarios that would be good for.
Old 5th May 2014
  #289
Gear Addict
 
mauvehead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullanta View Post
Or, perhaps the best of both worlds - a means of quickly "snapping" the device into a rack, and of quickly removing it for whatever scenarios that would be good for.
Yeah that would be good indeed. I think I'll find myself in both camps...sometimes needing it racked up and other times having it more of a grab-n-go...Would be ideal to have both options in one unit.
Old 5th May 2014
  #290
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvehead View Post
Yeah that would be good indeed. I think I'll find myself in both camps...sometimes needing it racked up and other times having it more of a grab-n-go...Would be ideal to have both options in one unit.
Can you discuss what situations you think the grab'n'go would be good for? As I said, I can think of a few, but none of them really use the strengths of this device.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 8th May 2014
  #291
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullanta View Post
One more vote for a rackmount option. This is a device capable of 20 analog inputs; that means that its users will be hauling a lot of gear around. Mics, cables, stands, preamps, headphone amps, gaffer's tape, etc. People doing that in any serious way do not want a lot of little bags and cases; they want as few pieces to carry around as possible. Further, there will be a lot of gear that will almost ALWAYS be hooked up to this; only by rackmounting this can one avoid having to plug and unplug everything at every gig. I can see this form factor for small operations recording two tracks, but with everything ELSE involved in live multitrack recording (or mobile studio multitrack recording), the form factor would be the ONE thing that turns me off to this device. Please, please, find a way to make this thing rack-mountable. Please.


Long ago I had an MBox and the associated cool bag, and it was frustrating because the bag didn't even hold everything i needed for stereo recording (not even mentioning mic stands). Later I had a Traveler, and used it exactly ONCE outside of a rack, for some nature recordings in the woods. Still it was clumsy. MOTU made a nifty bag (which i didn't buy) that wouldn't hold even enough for stereo recording. For my usual usage, recording 8 or so channels, I needed other rack gear and it was of course easier to rackmount the Traveler as well. So for those seeking this out as an improvement in quality I/O count over other "small" interfaces (i.e., 1U), it's just very unlikely that there won't already be a rack of gear involved. Seriously, can you give us a few examples of what situations one might use this interface and NOT prefer it to be rackmounted? I can't think of any that involve recording more than one or two channels, or, say, editing on a plane.

For further consideration - even accepting this form factor - a bag where you hold the handle that sticks out? Seriously? At least provide a shoulder strap. It will already be awkward to carry the little bag along with other items necessary for recording - don't make it have to occupy a hand.

Please, let us know that SOMEONE is actually imagining this thing being used? Explain their thought processes?


I am only being critical here because everything else about this looks so good. Dreamlike, even. Please don't ruin it with a form factor that would make me hate using it!
I love tgat it is not rack mountable, small but powerfull it is a mobile device with a huge amount of inputs. I think it's design is perfect!
Grab and go!
Only missing that i can have 38 inputs but can only record 24.
For a recording device... A bit strange... Not that need it every dat, but it would be great if it was possible or even cascade 2 over 2 usb's (so in the software itself like in the RME)
But the design of the unit itself? It rocks!!!!
Old 8th May 2014
  #292
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullanta View Post
Can you discuss what situations you think the grab'n'go would be good for? As I said, I can think of a few, but none of them really use the strengths of this device.

Cheers,
Barry
If you sometimes need a rack then this is because your other equipment is in a rack, so you take your rack and your laptop bag were you can put your zen in and you're good to go.
Old 8th May 2014
  #293
Gear Head
 

aj, thanks for your answer!

Of course, I keep my laptop in the rack!

You are saying that you always have a laptop bag anyway, and you can just put the Zen in there? I guess that makes sense... But can you tell me what else you typically carry to a gig? How many bags, mics, stands, cables, backup devices, headphones, etc? And how much help do you have to carry it all? And do you usually have a table to place everything on?

Maybe more importantly, do you imagine using the Zen with more or less the same other equipment most of the time, or usually with completely different setups? I'm imagining a lot of auxiliary gear to take advantage of 24 inputs, and the time savings if not having to hook everything up every time. But I guess if the setup is completely different every time, this isn't a factor...?
Old 9th May 2014
  #294
Video including Zen Studio Audio Recording

In the new WHAT's TRACKING, we recorded some world-class Classical Indian musicians entirely with the Zen Studio and it's mic pre-amps.

Old 10th May 2014
  #295
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullanta View Post
aj, thanks for your answer!

Of course, I keep my laptop in the rack!

You are saying that you always have a laptop bag anyway, and you can just put the Zen in there? I guess that makes sense... But can you tell me what else you typically carry to a gig? How many bags, mics, stands, cables, backup devices, headphones, etc? And how much help do you have to carry it all? And do you usually have a table to place everything on?

Maybe more importantly, do you imagine using the Zen with more or less the same other equipment most of the time, or usually with completely different setups? I'm imagining a lot of auxiliary gear to take advantage of 24 inputs, and the time savings if not having to hook everything up every time. But I guess if the setup is completely different every time, this isn't a factor...?
There you get a good point, i normally would use this interface for recording otherwise i take my digital mixingdesk for pa things and a small rack with a 2 channel compressor and a reverb unit so small. For recording on location i bring my laptop, interface now m-audio with a audient 8 channel preamp + AD in a rack and microphones, stands, cables, headphones and sometimes small set of genelec studiomonitors i mainly record jazz, choir and classical music.
Sometimes i record other stuff but i always announce that the mix they hear then is just raw like they play because of lack off DSP now.
But with the Zen the most easy things are already in the DSP. So i only have to take my pre's when i record big ensembles/orchestra's.

But i can now imagine that you like the rack.
But a solution is difficult to make.
However love it like the design is now.
Old 10th May 2014
  #296
Lives for gear
 

When will this thing be released ?
Old 11th May 2014
  #297
I heard it ships end of Q2 2014... any inside word on that Marcel?
Old 13th May 2014
  #298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanr View Post
I heard it ships end of Q2 2014... any inside word on that Marcel?
They're in "production". I'll post more specific info as I know it, but things are on schedule as far as I know right now.
Old 13th May 2014
  #299
Gear Addict
 
Cheech's Avatar
 

Excited for this thing to be released
Old 15th May 2014
  #300
Gear Maniac
 
avebr's Avatar
 

Any chance of Windows XP driver support? Please don't hurt me... :-)
( I know Orion doesn't support it )
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump