The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: SSL Announces Trio Of New Duende Native Plug-Ins
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Nut

I took the plunge as I have been looking forward to ditching the codemeter - Migration went very smoothly for me, thank you SSL.

However... I'd like to be able to demo the new products but on booting Logic I am only given an option to enter an activation code for the plug-ins I don't already own.

Maybe I've missed something?
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orff View Post
I took the plunge as I have been looking forward to ditching the codemeter - Migration went very smoothly for me, thank you SSL.

However... I'd like to be able to demo the new products but on booting Logic I am only given an option to enter an activation code for the plug-ins I don't already own.

Maybe I've missed something?
So long as you activated the demo license in your iLok account, just click continue.
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
I don't think they sound different thus far, but I'm keeping an ear out.
Also, you can have both on the same system but not working at the same time in a session. This was written in their faq guide.
Great. I just got it going and it works on my ilok finally.
Had to do it 3 times and it finally went.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Great. I just got it going and it works on my ilok finally.
Had to do it 3 times and it finally went.

Thanks,

Marc
ahh 3 times a charm for you huh, cool
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

I purchased the ValveComp and the Sat plugin as you can never have too many of those for color and tone.
I love the SSL plugins that I do own already and use them on every session so, getting those 2 was a no brainer to me.
As far as the X-Phase, I'll demo that as I'm not sure I need it as I'm not even sure what it really does.

Thanks Jim and SSL.

By the way, how long after purchase, does the auth come to your ilok.

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
ahh 3 times a charm for you huh, cool
Haha, yes...

So, how do ya like the new plugins?
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Where's Jeezo when ya need him with a video layout and a good beat!

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

any infos on the cpu hit of the new plugins ...lets say 20 instances versus 20 instances of channel strip or bus comp ?

Thks

please specify your cpu spec , daw and audio buffer ...
Old 7th May 2014
I tried the new plugins but I think they are not for me. Nice tho but I think I have good enough already...
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

@Jim

What about us Codemeter users, should we expect a coupon form SSL for the free plugin, or do we have to send a 'support' ticket ?

Thanks,
G
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

ValveComp sounds really good. Messing with it and the compression is nice.

I don't understand what the 2nd Gain knob is doing. Read the manual but, the manual shows another version of the plugin. Even then, it doesn't tell you what it's for.
I thought maybe it's for putting more volume into the Valve's/Tubes but, doesn't seem like it.

Anyone else.

Also, I'll see if I can test the cpu for ya Jeezo since I have some time on my hands but, of hand, cpu is extremely low.

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Just demoed X-Saturator, and indeed it kicks some ass !

Well done guys !
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Jeezo....

34 Stereo Tracks with Audio in Pro Tools HD/Mac OX SL/512 Buffer

ValveComp - 4%
Saturator - 3%
SSL CS - 11%
X-Phase - 1%
SSL Bus - 4%

Just my findings. I also have a 2009 Mac Pro 8 core...

Hope this helps,

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Jeezo....

34 Stereo Tracks with Audio in Pro Tools HD/Mac OX SL/512 Buffer

ValveComp - 4%
Saturator - 3%
SSL CS - 11%
X-Phase - 1%
SSL Bus - 4%

Just my findings. I also have a 2009 Mac Pro 8 core...

Hope this helps,

Marc
Marc , you rock as usual !!

thks

you used DSP or native CPU ?
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Nice sounding tools.
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Marc , you rock as usual !!

thks

you used DSP or native CPU ?
Native, they don't have DSP versions unfortunately.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

The arrow buttons at the bottom don't work Jim to switch to the next preset.
Just a heads up.

Pro Tools HD 8.1.1

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

iLok2 migration went fine, but it seems like the v4 licenses are still on my Codemeter? Not that it's a problem

CPU% seems slightly less on the same project but I did not do a proper AB-test.

If only ReFX Nexus 2 could migrate from eLicenser to iLok2 it would be sweet, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anywayz, allways cool running the new and latest
Old 7th May 2014
Got the demo/ilok authorization quite fast for the demos, will definitively give the Valve Comp a spin since it's affordable. BTW, they should definitively slash the prices for some of the old plugins. 250 bucks for the CS and Bus Comp is just not realistic in 2014.
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

I'm in the middle of a very large mix. I use VST 3. I'm kind of afraid to update. Does anyone know what this bug is with VST3 and with which DAW it is an issue?
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
@Jim

What about us Codemeter users, should we expect a coupon form SSL for the free plugin, or do we have to send a 'support' ticket ?

Thanks,
G
That's what I'd like to know, too. I won't do any purchasing before I see SSL care about us.
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
@Jim

Thanks,
G
+1
Old 7th May 2014
Didn't know if I'd buy these, but there is something so easy about the X-valve comp, it just makes things thicker and most interesting. The X-saturator is great for a lot of things, one key thing for me is the shape, it makes it so versatile. I just demoed the drumstrip again and that is great too. And I still like X-verb. Hope they price drop the older ones or do another half off sale
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Well, after demoing both the X-Saturator and X-ValveComp, they both are really great.
X-Saturator is incredible after really digging deep.
I'm trying to really get deep into the X-ValveComp now to see what it really does.

Great job SSL. Still loving the Bus and CS though I think the CS sounds or reacts a little different with compression.

What do you guys think.

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

So, after doing some research as I'm really liking the X-Saturator, I see it's the emulation of the SSL VHD Pre-Amp section.

Great job.

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

My question Jim is,

What type of Valve's were emulated? I see that it's tube as it adds 2nd order harmonic's but, what tube's were used for emulation?

Also, the compression. Which compression was that modeled after? Or was this more of an original design?

CPU power was well done on the new stuff! They sound great as well.
Don't think I need the X-Phase though.

Seems like the pictures from the manual has changed. Some of the sliders are different and the knobs values are different.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 7th May 2014
Solid State Logic

Quick update:

iLok migration **seems** to have been fixed late last night (super job Tomas) and hopefully you're not having issues.

50% off iLok and free plug-in coupons for those people who purchased a Codemeter USB dongle from us should be deposited in your accounts early next week. I gues that gives you a bit of time this week to have fun with the demos and decide which of the 2 plug-ins you'd like to get.

Thanks to all of you who PM'ed me with incident numbers. Our team will be on it today to check you all got up and running.

And as for the "emulations" - does it really matter? Since when did we judge something on how like something else it sounds when you most likely have not heard the original? :-)
Surely how they sound is more important than what they were designed to be?

We all suffer from information overload, and any confidence we have in a product because of what it "models" is misplaced, at least IMHO.

Actually my favourite out of them all is X-Phase. Yes, it's a difficult subject (different frequencies of a signal being out of phase with each other) but it is a truly amazing tool on multi-mic'ed sources. Brings a real focus to stuff that is subtle in solo but really eminent in a mix. We're going to try and put together a nice walk-through of how to use it, but I'm travelling like a loon this month so it is a bit on the back burner. :-(
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Addict

Migration went well here this morning.

And I treated myself to the keenly-priced X-Saturator. Sounds great!
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

The price of the ValveComp just went up from € 49.- to € 59.-

Kind of weird to do that the day after release ...

G
Old 7th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quick update:

iLok migration **seems** to have been fixed late last night (super job Tomas) and hopefully you're not having issues.

50% off iLok and free plug-in coupons for those people who purchased a Codemeter USB dongle from us should be deposited in your accounts early next week. I gues that gives you a bit of time this week to have fun with the demos and decide which of the 2 plug-ins you'd like to get.

Thanks to all of you who PM'ed me with incident numbers. Our team will be on it today to check you all got up and running.

And as for the "emulations" - does it really matter? Since when did we judge something on how like something else it sounds when you most likely have not heard the original? :-)
Surely how they sound is more important than what they were designed to be?

We all suffer from information overload, and any confidence we have in a product because of what it "models" is misplaced, at least IMHO.

Actually my favourite out of them all is X-Phase. Yes, it's a difficult subject (different frequencies of a signal being out of phase with each other) but it is a truly amazing tool on multi-mic'ed sources. Brings a real focus to stuff that is subtle in solo but really eminent in a mix. We're going to try and put together a nice walk-through of how to use it, but I'm travelling like a loon this month so it is a bit on the back burner. :-(
Hello Jim,

First off, great job getting the iLok issue fixed or as you said super job Tomas!

Second, the emulation question was asked because of me knowing you guys made per amps and by looking on your website, and clearly seeing the similarities with the VHD pre amp and what the X-Saturator does and the explanation on what it does is almost word for word what the VHD does, I'd figured I'd ask the one who may know on this site.

Must I know? No. Would I'd like to know? Sure. Does it matter in the end? Of course not.

Does it help to have more knowledge (Information) about the products/people/instruments etc that I and/or other people use to make music/vocals/sound efx etc everyday possibly better? I would say yes!

I constantly read up, experiment, ask questions and try to gain as much knowledge/information that I can and have the exact opposite opinion than you on this.

I agree, confidence in products are low and it's because people either don't know what they hell their doing with the product or misuse or mis-understand the purpose of such products but, not because of the quality of such products. Especially SSL. Or what SSL models of their own when they do. Hell, every board SSL has made was some form of an emulation of the B console correct?

I know that for you and your company (SSL) the emulation talk has been overrated and/or over-done and/or frustrating but, the question was not to see if it was point for point emulated exact but to see if their was similarities. That's it.

As for X-Phase, I don't track live instruments much other than an Ac Gtr/Elec Gtr/Bass etc but not live drums. X-Phase seems like a good idea but, no need here for it unless, after watching your video I do see a need. Of course, then I'll purchase it like I did X-Saturator and X-ValveComp.

Be safe on your travels...

Thanks,

Marc
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search