The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: SSL Announces Trio Of New Duende Native Plug-Ins
Old 26th April 2014
_gl
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Ahh! About time - CodeMeter gave me fits on my 2nd / backup DAW machine because it doubled as a developer machine and had visual studio on it.
Ditto, it was a ****ing nightmare, the amount of time wasted talking with SSL support (who didn't understand the problem for a long time, and kept giving the wrong advice) and WiBU support (who's default mode is 'suspicious'), having to constantly rename the plugin DLLs so they weren't accidentally loaded when I was debugging and have CM zap the licenses again. Really, countless hours, downtime and good will down the drain, then I finally spent money on the dongle 'that will solve all your problems' - and of course it didn't fix anything and was a waste of money.

In fairness, CM's debugger detection is optional and SSL chose to enable it. Nobody wants their software cracked, but legit devs shouldn't have to jump through hoops.

Ah... venting feels good .

Saying that, I haven't tried to do the same with iLok2 (was on the beta), I'm so paranoid about loosing the licenses now. Can you debug on iLok2 without getting them zapped?

Beta was running fine on iLok2, couple of minor issues only.
Old 26th April 2014
_gl
Gear Maniac

BTW, just to be absolutely clear, you will need an iLok2 (ie. 2nd generation). Tons of copy like Sound on Sound's just says 'iLok', but the original iLok key will not work.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gl View Post
Ditto, it was a ****ing nightmare, the amount of time wasted talking with SSL support (who didn't understand the problem for a long time, and kept giving the wrong advice) and WiBU support (who's default mode is 'suspicious')
This was my experience also. I have some Slate and SoundToys stuff on my iLok2 and it's worked well so far. Hoping for the best when SSL move over to it.
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Saying that, I haven't tried to do the same with iLok2 (was on the beta), I'm so paranoid about loosing the licenses now. Can you debug on iLok2 without getting them zapped?
I was running my Slate Digital plus at the same time as the SSL Duende plus when my original plus were corrupted / disabled due to the debugger - no issues with the Slate plugs through iLok2.

Not a serious amount of testing though, and it was only Slate plugs I have. Cubase 5 had no issues through it's Syncrosoft dongle either.
Old 26th April 2014
_gl
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
I was running my Slate Digital plus at the same time as the SSL Duende plus when my original plus were corrupted / disabled due to the debugger - no issues with the Slate plugs through iLok2.

Not a serious amount of testing though, and it was only Slate plugs I have. Cubase 5 had no issues through it's Syncrosoft dongle either.
Cool, I also only have some Slates on my iLok2 (I only recently bought it for those). And yeah, never an issue with Synchrosoft either. But I guess the vendors would argue that Synchrosoft was cracked. I do see their point of view, but CM just went too far, as well as being flakey generally (especially using the 'software' dongle).

And then the general nonsense of it being 'a benefit to users' - how exactly? Old argument I know, but if all it does is cost (both time and money)...

Anyway, if iLok2 works as well as it seems to so far, I can live with it. And the 2nd gen one has a nice blue LED (the first one sure was ugly).
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ditto, it was a ****ing nightmare, the amount of time wasted talking with SSL support (who didn't understand the problem for a long time, and kept giving the wrong advice) and WiBU support (who's default mode is 'suspicious'), having to constantly rename the plugin DLLs so they weren't accidentally loaded when I was debugging and have CM zap the licenses again. Really, countless hours, downtime and good will down the drain, then I finally spent money on the dongle 'that will solve all your problems' - and of course it didn't fix anything and was a waste of money.
No doubt SSL was sold a promise of a degree of convenience upon which Codemeter couldn't deliver - something which SSL customers ultimately had to deal with - and no doubt SSL is anxious to be rid of that architecture and onto iLok.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Guru

Anybody know if the Duende Console Channel Strip has modeled distortion or is it clean?
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Anybody know if the Duende Console Channel Strip has modeled distortion or is it clean?
Up until now it has always been clean. I don't know if these updates include any changes to the plugins themselves, such as non-linearaties & distortion
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Up until now it has always been clean. I don't know if these updates include any changes to the plugins themselves, such as non-linearaties & distortion
While the sound of some plugins does change with updates (i.e. Flux's Elixir), I don't believe that any of these plugins have changed sonically. I hope not.
Old 27th April 2014
would like like to hear these new plugins...
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
thanks!
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Today?
Old 1st May 2014
Here for the gear

Nothing to see yet ...
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Looking forward
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
It can be pushed into distortion territory with heavy compression and the E channel is def more dirty as well. Also there is the talkback mode which is basically a light distortion IMO.

In the end nothing even close to what the Waves version does, so by most standards it's clean clean.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Jim mentioned on another thread that they will be released May 6th...
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

How did the saturator sound, beta testers?!
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
About iLok migration
To coincide with the release of the new plug-ins the entire Duende plug-in collection will be migrated away from SSL’s existing ‘Codemeter’ by WIBU Systems based copy protection system to the more widely used iLok system. The move is aimed to streamline the purchase process and improve overall user experience. Existing Duende Native and Legacy DSP hardware owners (who have not already cross-graded to Duende Native) will be offered a free cross grade to iLok. Owners of Codemeter hardware dongles will be offered a 50% discount on iLok purchase from SSL’s online store and a free X-Saturator or X-ValveComp plug-in. SSL’s Codemeter based online license centre will cease to function in January 2015 so all users are strongly encouraged to migrate to iLok by December 2014. [B]SSL’s iLok support is scheduled to become live by 1st May

- See more at: SSL announce trio of new Duende Native plug-in developments | Solid State Logic

Will costumers that bought a codemeter just for duende, but do not need an ilok, also get the free valve compressor?

I bought the codemeter because I was told by your costumer support that if the licenses disappeared from my computer again they wouldn't replace them a second time. So the safest thing would be to buy a codemeter dongle, which I did and is now useless as I have no other software that uses it. I dont really need a second ilok2 either.
Old 3rd May 2014
_gl
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
Gee, so subjective. To me, it sounded very 'premium', this is no cheap algorithm, definitely classy.

I felt though that it wasn't quite flexible enough. I wanted the option to bias it towards frequency areas, and it doesn't do that. You can play with a few settings, but it doesn't seem to have a huge palette, rather focusing on quality. If you like the sound, you'll probably love it. I can't buy lots of plugins, so I want something more flexible.

BTW, again official texts keeps writing 'iLok' when they should clearly say 'iLok 2'. A lot of people will be upset when they get to the checkout .
Old 3rd May 2014
Quote:
Gee, so subjective. To me, it sounded very 'premium', this is no cheap algorithm, definitely classy.

I felt though that it wasn't quite flexible enough. I wanted the option to bias it towards frequency areas, and it doesn't do that. You can play with a few settings, but it doesn't seem to have a huge palette, rather focusing on quality. If you like the sound, you'll probably love it. I can't buy lots of plugins, so I want something more flexible.

BTW, again official texts keeps writing 'iLok' when they should clearly say 'iLok 2'. A lot of people will be upset when they get to the checkout .
Thanks for that. Can't wait to try it out. I love the SSL plugins I have, need to wait till the Ilok port before I can use them again though.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post
Will costumers that bought a codemeter just for duende, but do not need an ilok, also get the free valve compressor?

I bought the codemeter because I was told by your costumer support that if the licenses disappeared from my computer again they wouldn't replace them a secondtime. Sp the safest thing would be to buy a codemeter dongle, which I did and is now useless. I dont really need a second ilok2 either.
It's a valid question, though, since it's parallel to the iLok-to-iLok 2 situation, I suspect that your dongle won't earn back its full value -- certainly not a free plugin worth a couple hundred dollars.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
I like it. A different sound in a crowded field. Premium indeed.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post

I bought the codemeter because I was told by your costumer support that if the licenses disappeared from my computer again they wouldn't replace them a secondtime. Sp the safest thing would be to buy a codemeter dongle, which I did and is now useless. I dont really need a second ilok2 either.
That's a good question.

I think you get the valve comp or saturator for having previously purchased an SSL codemeter dongle, and you have the option to buy an ilok2 for half-price ($25?).

But, maybe you have to buy the ilok2 to get your free plug-in.

We have two SSL CM sticks, so I hope we can get one of each plug-in and not have to buy more iloks, even at half-price.

Jim?

By the way, our ilok2s came with Pro Tools and "free" for shipping cost from SL8... I say "free" because with recent Slate sale prices, it's now as though we paid the full $50 per ilok.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Jim any infos ? i'm finishing a new rig install and guess what's missing in my FX folder !!!????
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
I think you get the valve comp or saturator for having previously purchased an SSL codemeter dongle, and you have the option to buy an ilok2 for half-price ($25?).
I must have missed that. Seems very generous.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

guys, any SC input? Would love to be able to use Duende for SC ducking.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I must have missed that. Seems very generous.
That's my interpretation of:

"Owners of Codemeter hardware dongles will be offered a 50% discount on iLok purchase from SSL’s online store and a free X-Saturator or X-ValveComp plug-in."

We have singles and some doubles of all the previous native plug-ins and are hoping to get both of these for our two CM sticks.

Then we'll also be buying more old and new plug-ins, especially if there's a nice v5 intro discount on the older plug-ins, as well.

No matter what, this will probably go down as the "best software update of 2014" around here... maybe the decade, after AAX.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
That's my interpretation of:

"Owners of Codemeter hardware dongles will be offered a 50% discount on iLok purchase from SSL’s online store and a free X-Saturator or X-ValveComp plug-in."

We have singles and some doubles of all the previous native plug-ins and are hoping to get both of these for our two CM sticks.

Then we'll also be buying more old and new plug-ins, especially if there's a nice v5 intro discount on the older plug-ins, as well.

No matter what, this will probably go down as the "best software update of 2014" around here... maybe the decade, after AAX.
The wording does seem to suggest that you don't need to buy the ilok 2 to get the plugin. SSL Is probably not making any money anyway by selling a half price ilok, so fingers crossed.
Old 6th May 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
Jim mentioned on another thread that they will be released May 6th...
Let's see
Old 6th May 2014
Gear Addict

Damn - nothing so far. Where's monsieur Jim?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search