The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: SSL Announces Trio Of New Duende Native Plug-Ins
Old 11th May 2014
  #271
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
"Saturate" "a bit?"

Yeah, I know.

Who bent this term to audio, anyway?

Maybe it migrated from color saturation.
Tube saturation is my guess, and it's why some companies employ a glowing amber light which gets more intense as the saturation is increased. Make us feel like we're actually using tubes, I guess.
Old 11th May 2014
  #272
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Tube saturation is my guess, and it's why some companies employ a glowing amber light which gets more intense as the saturation is increased. Make us feel like we're actually using tubes, I guess.
LOL... duh, I knew that: saturation/max current in a vacuum tube... where it goes non-linear.

Never mind me today.

On a side note, I watched this last night:

Old 11th May 2014
  #273
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
LOL... duh, I knew that: saturation/max current in a vacuum tube... where it goes non-linear.

Never mind me today.

On a side note, I watched this last night:

That is a pretty funky little studio.
Old 11th May 2014
  #274
_gl
Gear Maniac
 
_gl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Who bent this term to audio, anyway? Maybe it migrated from color saturation.
eg. tape saturation (real phenomenon).

Quote:
My partner opted for X-Phase from the beta test, though I'd have gone with another copy of X-Verb... assuming we can get the valvecomp and saturator for our two SSL CM sticks, that is.
Pretty sure CM is not supported at all anymore, unless you're willing to run the previous 4.x plugins (that gets you none of the new ones). 5.x is iLok2 only.
Old 11th May 2014
  #275
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
How does the X sat compare with console emu like NLS or tape like MPX that can produce from subtile to very pronounced effect ....and also the Sonnox inflator (not the same animal but ...)?

Thks
Old 11th May 2014
  #276
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post

X-Sat does seem like digital VHD, though I wonder why they didn't refer to it that way.
Because VHD is an analogue circuit (and a patented analogue circuit at that), and I want to keep it as such for now. X-Saturator does many of the things that VHD can do, but it is something programmed from scratch in the digital world rather than trying to emulate something in the analogue world.
Old 11th May 2014
  #277
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Because VHD is an analogue circuit (and a patented analogue circuit at that), and I want to keep it as such for now. X-Saturator does many of the things that VHD can do, but it is something programmed from scratch in the digital world rather than trying to emulate something in the analogue world.

Hi Jim

I asked a while ago if by any chance we can use the free plugin voucher to get a discount in other duende plugins. Can you answer that please?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2014
  #278
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
to try those , do we loose again ilok space or is it a time limted without ilok demo ?
You don't lose space anymore. You can remove demo licenses from your dongle and move them into the "online cloud". Hope that makes sense.
Old 12th May 2014
  #279
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post
Hi Jim

I asked a while ago if by any chance we can use the free plugin voucher to get a discount in other duende plugins. Can you answer that please?

Thanks
Probably better that you email SSL than request an answer to that question on a public forum where others would hold them to the answer.
Old 12th May 2014
  #280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
How does the X sat compare with console emu like NLS or tape like MPX that can produce from subtile to very pronounced effect ....and also the Sonnox inflator (not the same animal but ...)?

Thks
I don't think it really compares with the Inflator, but it can do tape alright if you ask me. It gives some similar effects to tape on the 2nd harmonic setting.
Old 12th May 2014
  #281
Lives for gear
 
JSilver's Avatar
 

Can it be compared to Softube saturation knob?
Old 12th May 2014
  #282
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Probably better that you email SSL than request an answer to that question on a public forum where others would hold them to the answer.
Probably true. Either way, tomorrow is the 13th and the vouchers should be in the account, and I'll know the answer then.
Old 12th May 2014
  #283
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
I just did the migration to iLok and had the issue, but only for plugs that I haven't bought as yet - i.e. X-Phase etc. Installing the 5.0.6 Duende Native will install all plugins, regardless, and any you don't have an avtivation for on your iLok will prompt EVERY time on startup - bloody annoying.
Hmmm I didn't have that issue - I just installed the ones I own.

In the end SSL tech support were very good and switched my ilok licenses. If anyone else has this - leave the license unactivated in your ilok client/manager app and then boot the DAW.

When the dialogue boxes ask you to activate the plugin - login via the splash screens at DAW boot instead of using the PACE software... You can activate properly there and then it should be all good.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 12th May 2014
  #284
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
That is a pretty funky little studio.
I don't think that's the control room, although I don't understand this Red Bull Studio phenomenon (or their energy drinks, for that matter).

I did dig JM's talk, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gl View Post
eg. tape saturation (real phenomenon).

Pretty sure CM is not supported at all anymore, unless you're willing to run the previous 4.x plugins (that gets you none of the new ones). 5.x is iLok2 only.
Right, I'm back to earth regarding the term in audio.

I was sleeplessly trying to reconcile a little of something that's always a lot.

Yes, I meant the free v5 plug-in(s) deal for owners of SSL CM dongles to offset money spent on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Because VHD is an analogue circuit (and a patented analogue circuit at that), and I want to keep it as such for now. X-Saturator does many of the things that VHD can do, but it is something programmed from scratch in the digital world rather than trying to emulate something in the analogue world.
Jim is the man and SSL is the company.
Old 12th May 2014
  #285
Lives for gear
 

In case anyone is wondering the free plugin coupons are in the online account, and are only for the two new plugins, so it's not a 59 euro voucher. :(
Old 12th May 2014
  #286
Lives for gear
 
Fishmed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post
In case anyone is wondering the free plugin coupons are in the online account, and are only for the two new plugins, so it's not a 59 euro voucher. :(
Thanks for the info. I claimed the X-Saturator. They are both great plug-ins, but I have enough compressors... for now.
Old 12th May 2014
  #287
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
Thanks for the info. I claimed the X-Saturator. They are both great plug-ins, but I have enough compressors... for now.

+ 1


Unfortunately the iLok2 code does not work,
at least not over here ...



G
Old 12th May 2014
  #288
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
Thanks for the info. I claimed the X-Saturator. They are both great plug-ins, but I have enough compressors... for now.
I might do the same, and the get the xcomp at some point in the future. I also don't need any compressors unless they do something really extraordinary.
Old 12th May 2014
  #289
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post
I might do the same, and the get the xcomp at some point in the future. I also don't need any compressors unless they do something really extraordinary.
I have countless compressor plugins as well and none are exactly like xcomp. Above all others I have, it adds fewer unwanted artifacts and stays pretty faithful to the character of the source. It's been my most-used compressor plugin since first buying it. I'd say it's extraordinarily ordinary.
Old 12th May 2014
  #290
xcomp seems like one of the best itb compressors.
Old 12th May 2014
  #291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
xcomp seems like one of the best itb compressors.
I've long been very impressed with it. I find X-valve similar, but those mix controls on X-comp are brilliant. I have to say after all this time I still find the drumstrip amazing too.
Old 12th May 2014
  #292
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

x-saturator, nothing else like it! in love!
Old 12th May 2014
  #293
Gear Addict
 
Barilla's Avatar
 

It occured to me that Duende has been at the heart of my mix since 2006. That's a long time. I've come to appreciate it as a very reliable, mature product. I know the channel strip inside out by now - I can work very quickly with it.

The new X-Saturator is everything I hoped it would be... I don't like plugins that are too tweaky and time-consuming - this plug feels very immediate and sounds absolutely stellar to my ears.

Very happy here.

Oh - and the meter ballistics in the Bus Comp are way improved. Seriously good now.
Old 13th May 2014
  #294
Gear Head
 

Okay, so the iLock discount code and the free plugins to claim show up in my account now. Trying to apply the code to my iLock-Order results in "You do not have applicable products in your cart." - so I guess it's not really working yet?
Old 13th May 2014
  #295
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteinshake View Post
Okay, so the iLock discount code and the free plugins to claim show up in my account now. Trying to apply the code to my iLock-Order results in "You do not have applicable products in your cart." - so I guess it's not really working yet?
I sent a ticket to SSL Support yesterday ...
Today this came back ...

Quote:
Thank you for reporting this and apologies for the inconvenience. I will inform the store administrator so this can be fixed. Please try again later today or tomorrow.

G
Old 13th May 2014
  #296
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Can it be compared to Softube saturation knob?
I used x-saturator for the first time on bass in a mix last night, and despite having a lot more in depth control, it seemed I got a great sound sound quicker and easier compared to softube, and other sat plugs. I'm very happy!
Old 13th May 2014
  #297
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
I sent a ticket to SSL Support yesterday ...
Today this came back ...
G
It sure works now!
Old 14th May 2014
  #298
Messed with x-valvecomp and x-saturate today and was impressed by both. The compressor is one of the most transparent I've heard in the box aside from the valve emulation which adds a nice bit of presence. The saturator may be the best I've tried next to UAs Fatso plugin. It really cakes on the butter, especially the transients and does give the impression of a tube in the path. More testing to come, but wanted to stop by and mention my positive first impression. SSL should treats to new stuff more often!
Old 14th May 2014
  #299
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
and does give the impression of a tube in the path.
Precisely, which can just be a subtle effect at the track level. A little goes a long way. I've watched a lot of folks crank saturation on each track in order to hear the effect very clearly, then the whole mix gets cloudy and muffled. Like w/ guitar distortion, sometimes less actually sounds like more in the track.
Old 16th May 2014
  #300
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orff View Post
I hope our coupons can be used against these new plug-ins?

In any case, for us Codemeter users; this:

Quote:
Owners of Codemeter hardware dongles will be offered a 50% discount on iLok purchase from SSL’s online store and a free X-Saturator or X-ValveComp plug-in - See more at: SSL announce trio of new Duende Native plug-in developments | Solid State Logic
Because of several issues with the codemeter protection, I bought a non-SSL codemeter hardware dongle. I heard of SSL support that the free plugin and discount is only if you have a original SSL codemeter hardware dongle.
.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump