The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Launch of Pono Studio Headphones
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I have discussions with bands that I record to do exactly this. Cut out the middle man (Band Camp, iTunes) and sell MP3s or FLAC files directly to customers. I even offer space on my server as a service for a very small fee. Even if it's just offered as an option because I hate that Apple, a multi billion dollar company, is getting a cut of the money that local bands need every penny of to try to survive.
Yeah, not quite right using Band Camp and iTunes in the same sentence...

iTunes takes about twice the cut and offers a singular and limited distribution & pricing format. On the contrary, bandcamp offers all formats and allows the artists to price their own way, which is obviously a massive deal.

Literally the only reason why itunes is the big boy of the industry is because of their established and streamlined service; it's easier to browse, buy, promote, and stream music which is integrated seamlessly with all of their insanely popular product line. Think of it as coffee from McDonalds vs the diner down the street.

I have 1 song being sold on a miniscule british label, and even if I became internationally recognised overnight, I would still prefer bandcamp as it's so much easier and fairer for artists. Bandcamp is where people who actually care about the artists they listen to tend to buy their music.
Old 12th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBradley View Post
Here's the link you Alistair is referring to:
https://www2.ia-engineers.org/iciae/...ewFile/160/146

You can find it referenced as footnote 24 in the article you linked to.
Thank you Eric...are you sure this is what Alistair is referring to?

I'm not sure why he wasn't able to provide the citation when requested...perhaps it has something to do with the papers conclusion which concurs with Reiss (2016):
Quote:
Concerning the perceptual discrimination of HRA, it is suggested that the quantization resolution is also an important factor as well as the sampling frequency.
In future, statistical significance in discriminating HRA should be examined with a wide variety of music sources.
Source: https://www2.ia-engineers.org/iciae/...ewFile/160/146

I hope Alistair returns so I can answer his question as to the conclusions I draw from the diagram he posted (unattributed).

At this moment I can conclude that Reiss (2016) deserves discussion (based on his methodology) especially given Alistairs 'drive-by' approach to science and data which is, to use his own words, "extremely flawed."
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Bandcamp is hardly in the same league as Apple, and is by far the best option for self-promoting musicians as their cut is so small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania View Post
Yeah, not quite right using Band Camp and iTunes in the same sentence...

iTunes takes about twice the cut and offers a singular and limited distribution & pricing format. On the contrary, bandcamp offers all formats and allows the artists to price their own way, which is obviously a massive deal.

Literally the only reason why itunes is the big boy of the industry is because of their established and streamlined service; it's easier to browse, buy, promote, and stream music which is integrated seamlessly with all of their insanely popular product line. Think of it as coffee from McDonalds vs the diner down the street.

I have 1 song being sold on a miniscule british label, and even if I became internationally recognised overnight, I would still prefer bandcamp as it's so much easier and fairer for artists. Bandcamp is where people who actually care about the artists they listen to tend to buy their music.
Agreed.
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
The first thing I'd like to conclude is where the diagram you posted is from? and which meta-analysis you are referring to? Thanks.
Oops. I might have mixed up a couple of studies. I'll have a proper look during the week-end when I have some time. My apologies for any confusion.

Alistair
Old 13th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Oops. I might have mixed up a couple of studies. I'll have a proper look during the week-end when I have some time. My apologies for any confusion.

Alistair
Thanks Alistair...no hurry. I think we can have a good discussion here. It is interesting that people can discriminate mp3 vs CD over CD vs HD. Best
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

Two weeks ago Neil Young's back catalog returned to streaming music services including Apple Music, Deezer, and Spotify, a little over a year after he declared a moratorium (aside from Tidal, which offered a more expensive lossless "HiFi" tier).

On July 15 2015 Young claimed on his Facebook page that streaming had "ended" for him, since it offered "the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution....Make streaming sound good and I will be back." As his music went back onto the streaming services (which had not changed a thing about streaming quality) there was no comment by Young about that previous statement or anything else.

Interesting update about the Pono Store going offline in July allegedly because it claimed at the time its licensing/back-end partner Omnifone was supposedly bought out by a mystery buyer. The truth seems to actually be that Omnifone filed for bankruptcy protection in May, largely because other clients like Sony, Blackberry and Samsung/Milk were dropping out of the business, and there was no buyer that stepped in.

However last week it was reported that in August Apple hired at least 16 of Omnifone's 200 employees and purchased select technology from the company. According to financial filings listed on musicbusinessworldwide.com Omnifone had not been profitable from (at least) 2013 to present, and its major competitor, 7digital (which Pono claimed in July to be switching to) also had been posting net losses but claimed 2016 would finally turn a profit.

The Pono Music website and store are still down, er, "under construction." And no word at all about the store's revival under 7digital.
Old 16th November 2016
So glad I never drank the Pono CoolAid. Very happy with my Fiio X5s though!
Old 22nd November 2016
Well, as I recall it, Neil was our guy at the UN for the smoker, joker, midnight toker set... I guess you see how such bright promise worked out. Too bad!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search