The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I don't have access to any at the moment, how about this though?

Majesty - Pop/Rock Cover Mix Off - Just For Fun
Nice, I'll take a look at it.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
In case you're wondering about the Britson Buss, the master preset, I think can add something nice.

Here it is on a "mix in progress", one file without Britson and one with the Britson Bus with the Master preset, no gain added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fad7sp51tr...%20without.wav

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80v1ac5lzh...%20Britson.wav
Britson sounds better
Old 18th March 2014
The bus presets are indeed handy, but I miss a "darker" one.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I like the way the top end is...subtly smoother. I have the VCC, using the Neve is seems Slate has more bottom, but for me is not necessarily a good thing. I get plenty with my outboard gear so it tends to make my tracks a little more muddy, others might really like the additional bottom of the VCC, but I like the top better on the Britson, and that is the sonic area I am really sensitive to, and I like a more vintage curve. Maybe 'cause I'm getting old. *laughing* I will need a good amount of time to have definitive thoughts, but so far so good! I looking forward to putting those filters into some serious use and seeing how they stack up.

Last edited by CHAOS; 18th March 2014 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Mixing up VCC with VBC...
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Britson sounds better
I agree
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict
It's NOT VBC it's the VCC right? I mean the VBC is just compressor emus. Anyway, I am sure that all NEVE desks sound different, and unless Slate modeled the 8014 console as well, I don't see how there can be an accurate comparison as to which "sounds" better..just different.

Am I wrong here?
Old 18th March 2014
The Britson bus opened up that mix beautifully. I am most impressed with the bottom end saturation and harmonics. Sounds DEEP! I own both Satson and SonEQ Pro. Would be great to get a small discount on Britson...
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
CPU wise, this is what I find.

22 Audio Tracks - I put the channel versions on
1 Bass Track - I put the channel versions on
4 Busses - I put the buss versions on
1 Master Fader - I put the buss version on

Britson - 4% to 5%
Satson - 4% to 5%
VCC - 13% to 17%
NLS - 8% to 9%

If I have time I'll post the differences between them all on a Pop/Rock Track.
That's what I'm mixing right now.

Hope this helps,

Marc
Absolutely! Thank you Marc. In your scenario the CPU gain is interesting to say the least. I'm a bit tired of waiting for VCC's revision regarding bug fixing and CPU usage, so if I Britson' sound fits me I'm likely to give it a try. Plus the fact that I would probably not need to load another filter on top of it… My MacPro might find that this is a good idea.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your Logic settings and Mac model?

Thanks again,

Alexis
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
The Britson bus opened up that mix beautifully. I am most impressed with the bottom end saturation and harmonics. Sounds DEEP! I own both Satson and SonEQ Pro. Would be great to get a small discount on Britson...
Yeah I liked what it did to the bottom end as well, and equality important it didn't mess up the top as some plugs tend to do.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

That clip with Britson does sound much better...more defined!
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
It's NOT VBC it's the VCC right? I mean the VBC is just compressor emus. Anyway, I am sure that all NEVE desks sound different, and unless Slate modeled the 8014 console as well, I don't see how there can be an accurate comparison as to which "sounds" better..just different.

Am I wrong here?
Yes. You are totally right. I am sorry for the confusion. Too many VCC VTM VBC ABC's going in my head.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Just to clear up any confusion, "VBC" in the context of console emus refers to AlexB's Neve 8014 console emulation for Nebula. He also has a new Neve 88RS console emu known as MFC. That's what MN and I were referring to, anyway.

Cheers,
Eddie

P.S. If anyone else compares Britson with one of the Nebula emulations, I'd be interested to hear your impressions!
Old 18th March 2014
So no Britson for PT11?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yea, any info on AAX ?

G
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Yea, any info on AAX ?

G
Hi All,

Our actions are following the market requirements.
We are aware that AAX will be core in ProTools users (we are AVID partner developers).
This is why we have already compiled and made some experiences with AAX, but we are still in testing phase, (and lately we have been working in new products )
So although we are not able to announce with accuracy the date for the release we keep it in our route map .
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info ...

Will AAX support be implemented for the rest of the Sonimus plugIn-line as well ?

Thanks,
G
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Thanks for the info ...

Will AAX support be implemented for the rest of the Sonimus plugIn-line as well ?

Thanks,
G
Yes!!
Old 18th March 2014
anyone care to share a multi channel demo - dry and wet?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorey View Post
Yes!!

Well, that was great news considering I own all your plugins,
and using PT 11 most of the time

Thanks again
G
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Cool - keen to hear anymore audio examples if anyone's got them... what are the high/low pass filters like compared to Satson? Different/same/better?
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Motor View Post
what are the high/low pass filters like compared to Satson? Different/same/better?
Very close if not the same.
Old 18th March 2014
Gee
Lives for gear

Just bought it (couldnt resist, plus the AAX info was promising) so far its nice, definitely more initially subtle tonally then slate VCC (Neve mode) but you can drive it with pleasing results (so far anyways). different strokes. should be fun to play with.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
anyone care to share a multi channel demo - dry and wet?
Here's a bunch of premixed sample loops with Britson on & off (5 channels + 1 bus plugin), no FAT mode and no EQ, standard gain staging
Subtle as already stated though the Britson version might sound a tad sweeter to me (I like the bass tone better also), of course it could be complete placebo
(I did a compromise between peak and RMS when level matching)
A.
Attached Files

BritsonOff.wav (6.70 MB, 581 views)

BritsonOn.wav (6.70 MB, 530 views)

Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
Just to clear up any confusion, "VBC" in the context of console emus refers to AlexB's Neve 8014 console emulation for Nebula. He also has a new Neve 88RS console emu known as MFC. That's what MN and I were referring to, anyway.

Cheers,
Eddie

P.S. If anyone else compares Britson with one of the Nebula emulations, I'd be interested to hear your impressions!
Thanks for clearing that for me. I am not a Nebula user, so I wouldn't have known. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorey View Post
Hi All,

Our actions are following the market requirements.
We are aware that AAX will be core in ProTools users (we are AVID partner developers).
This is why we have already compiled and made some experiences with AAX, but we are still in testing phase, (and lately we have been working in new products )
So although we are not able to announce with accuracy the date for the release we keep it in our route map .
Finish ONE product complete before starting on new ones. Not sure why you would not fully complete a release, and make people wait while you start on new plugins. Doesn't seem right for PT users. I have always felt as if PT users are being punished by some smaller developers for using PT...Ultimately, it's Sonimus that loses the sales, when we go in other directions.

Also, where is the demo for the Britson? Most of us that have VCC wouldn't want to spend $39 to demo a product. I understand that it's cheap enough, and not complaining, but to try it for an hour or so..I think asking $39 to test drive it isn't all that fair. In the end, I may not need it, nor like it, so then I am left with yet another plugin in my unused folder...
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

I can report a 2.9 db boost with Output compensation on . S1 , W8 , x64 .
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Excuse the stupid question but are the vu meter position and filters set by default as post? When i press them they turn red and say pre. Just making sure tht the red dot means pre and not post
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finish ONE product complete before starting on new ones. Not sure why you would not fully complete a release, and make people wait while you start on new plugins. Doesn't seem right for PT users. I have always felt as if PT users are being punished by some smaller developers for using PT...Ultimately, it's Sonimus that loses the sales, when we go in other directions.

Also, where is the demo for the Britson? Most of us that have VCC wouldn't want to spend $39 to demo a product. I understand that it's cheap enough, and not complaining, but to try it for an hour or so..I think asking $39 to test drive it isn't all that fair. In the end, I may not need it, nor like it, so then I am left with yet another plugin in my unused folder...
I can't figure out why it isn't very apparent at this point that PT users will just have to wait for certain things to happen. Avid keeps changing ****e up, and it is unrealistic to expect all developers, especially small ones, to prioritize dealing with Avid's changing formats over all of their other customers (who must be a majority by now) using all other DAW formats. Regarding the demo, it has already been discussed in this thread. Should a small team really spend a bunch of time making demo versions of such an inexpensive product?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
The Britson bus opened up that mix beautifully. I am most impressed with the bottom end saturation and harmonics. Sounds DEEP!
Pretty much my initial experience as well.
Replaced Satson with Britson on the stereo buss of a mix which is pretty close to finished.
Really nice. All tracks still had Satson.

To me Britson bottom end sounds deep in a cool way, not like VCC Neve bottom end which I find too pronounced and imposing, lacking some definition.
Now slowly replacing Satson on tracks with Britson.
Thanks Sonimus, nice work.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

They have chosen not to put out a usable demo, by which I mean that there may be a chance to hear an audio one either from developer or another user..

This is their choice... Your and our choice is to buy or not... Filling up this thread with 'wish there was or there should be a demo' comments is pointless..

Let's see what more users of the plugin think..

Zz.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search