The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 18th March 2014
Dgr
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
allright,i'm in f****** south america,and...nothing!!!!!
Have to say I find this pretty odd. I get that for this developer BA time is what matters, probably, but it's getting late in the day. It won't matter in terms of sales because the people who want this are going to buy it regardless. And it's not a huge or even little problem. Just strange.
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

It's on. Just bought it and it's downloading now. i'm amped.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynash View Post
And bought it!
Me too!
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

Off to the studio to give it a spin Yeah!
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Would someone be willing to expand on how it behaves cpu-wise compared to VCC?
Logic X here but willing to take any info on the subject.

Thanks in advance
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by @l3x!5 View Post

Thanks in advance
REAPER 64bit
Windows 7 64bit
512 buffer size
96kHz

Each instance...

Channels:

VCC Brit 4K: 0.3%
VCC US A: 0.4%
VCC Brit N: 0.4%
VCC Trident: 0.3%
VCC RC-Tube: 0.3%
Britson: 0.3%

Buss:

VCC All Consoles: 0.3%
Old 18th March 2014
Gee
Lives for gear

hows it sound compared to VCC neve setting?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFH View Post
According to the site reported on Dec. 19, 2012
Brand new console emulation plugins are coming soon with discounts for existing Satson customers. We’re updating......
Is this discount still included by the way?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
hows it sound compared to VCC neve setting?
+1
Old 18th March 2014
waiting patiently for the audio examples and shootouts!
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
REAPER 64bit
Windows 7 64bit
512 buffer size
96kHz

Each instance...

Channels:

VCC Brit 4K: 0.3%
VCC US A: 0.4%
VCC Brit N: 0.4%
VCC Trident: 0.3%
VCC RC-Tube: 0.3%

Buss:

VCC All Consoles: 0.3%
Thank you Mercado_negro, very much appreciated

So roughly the same for you. Any early adopters on Logic X?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I didn't get a discount, did anyone else get the discount for satson owners yet?
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Nut

Hello to the dev's and congrats to your new plugin! Any chance to get an AAX version?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
I didn't get a discount, did anyone else get the discount for satson owners yet?
They probably dropped the idea. The discount for existing Satson customer was a pretty early announcement.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

I was wondering about the discount too. Guess that's no longer the case for Satson owners.

First impressions anyone?
As a Satson owner at some point i stopped using it because i didn't feel it was adding "that" dimension to my mixes.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

I've got it and started messing with a current mix. So far, I've replaced Satson with Britson on all the drum and bass tracks and busses, and in comparison to a mix with all Satson, I'm getting some goodness in the upper mids for sure, and an overall pleasing euphonic touch that's making me want to sit and listen for a while.

While Satson gives me a pretty linear "deep black" low end, I'm getting a cool "translation" effect with Britson, in which low-sub stuff that would normally be inaudible on small speakers is better audible with Britson in play—whatever saturation or nonlinear stuff is going on, it's working. And perhaps most luckily, that's an effect I've been searching for.

Still very early days in my testing, but so far, I'm digging it a lot.

EDIT: It's all over the mix now, and WOW... Listening to the original vs the Britson version, the original now feels like it's got a hole in the mids and the lows don't have the same energy... And I loved this mix before Britson came along! I think I'm really liking this sound, a lot.

Last edited by blownauratone; 18th March 2014 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Tried more stuff
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep View Post
I was wondering about the discount too. Guess that's no longer the case for Satson owners.

First impressions anyone?
My very first impression is that it's a very very subtle effect. Maybe even more so than Satson. You'd have to apply it over a whole project, most tracks I think to tell a difference. The way it very subtly softens things/makes it a tiny bit rounder may be a nice thing for digital recorded tracks when on every channel.
Old 18th March 2014
Dgr
Gear Nut
I am psyched to play with this plug. Ok, onto the next vigil: Kush's Pusher will be released tomorrow.
Old 18th March 2014
Looks great, I will wait to listen to some samples first :D
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgr View Post
I am psyched to play with this plug. Ok, onto the next vigil: Kush's Pusher will be released tomorrow.
+1000
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownauratone View Post
While Satson gives me a pretty linear "deep black" low end, I'm getting a cool "translation" effect with Britson, in which low-sub stuff that would normally be inaudible on small speakers is better audible with Britson in play—whatever saturation or nonlinear stuff is going on, it's working. And perhaps most luckily, that's an effect I've been searching for.
Would you be kind enough to upload 10 sec or so of that description, in a clip ?...

Thanks !
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
My very first impression is that it's a very very subtle effect. Maybe even more so than Satson. You'd have to apply it over a whole project, most tracks I think to tell a difference. The way it very subtly softens things/makes it a tiny bit rounder may be a nice thing for digital recorded tracks when on every channel.
Use FAT mode with autogain and x2 fader range if you're not into subtle
A.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got it and started messing with a current mix. So far, I've replaced Satson with Britson on all the drum and bass tracks and busses, and in comparison to a mix with all Satson, I'm getting some goodness in the upper mids for sure, and an overall pleasing euphonic touch that's making me want to sit and listen for a while.

Still very early days in my testing, but so far, I'm digging it a lot.

EDIT: It's all over the mix now, and WOW... Listening to the original vs the Britson version, the original now feels like it's got a hole in the mids and the lows don't have the same energy... And I loved this mix before Britson came along! I think I'm really liking this sound, a lot.
Great to hear this. Did you just load up Britson all over your DAW console tracks inserted before all your plugs without playing with it? Or did you activate the FAT parameter or played with Presets? And did you use the Channel or Bus? Curious here ;-)
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaParTea View Post
Would you be kind enough to upload 10 sec or so of that description, in a clip ?...

Thanks !
I likely can't get to it today, but I'll have some time tomorrow and will post some clips.
Old 18th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by @l3x!5 View Post

Thanks in advance
CPU wise, this is what I find.

22 Audio Tracks - I put the channel versions on
1 Bass Track - I put the channel versions on
4 Busses - I put the buss versions on
1 Master Fader - I put the buss version on

Britson - 4% to 5%
Satson - 4% to 5%
VCC - 13% to 17%
NLS - 8% to 9%

If I have time I'll post the differences between them all on a Pop/Rock Track.
That's what I'm mixing right now.

Hope this helps,

Marc
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Would you guys say it's outright better than satson or just a different flavour? (like the VCC consoles)
I'm curious about audio examples that show a comparison between satson and britson.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Great to hear this. Did you just load up Britson all over your DAW console tracks inserted before all your plugs without playing with it? Or did you activate the FAT parameter or played with Presets? And did you use the Channel or Bus? Curious here ;-)
I loaded Britson onto all tracks and busses, and copied settings (LP/HP/Fat/etc) as best I could from the existing SatSon instances. I'm finding that I like using the buss color stuff in certain places—Master Loudness brings out mid texture on the drum buss that I like a lot, and Master Bright seems to add some nice air to stuff like vocals and airy keys, and I have yet to hear anything objectionable come from using them. That said, I've only tried this stuff on a couple of songs.

But anyhow, the initial differences I heard came before I went in and added all the cool new stuff.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

In case you're wondering about the Britson Buss, the master preset, I think can add something nice.

Here it is on a "mix in progress", one file without Britson and one with the Britson Bus with the Master preset, no gain added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fad7sp51tr...%20without.wav

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80v1ac5lzh...%20Britson.wav
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I did that comparison and it seems that the 88RS was meant to be much more transparent than the rest of the Neve consoles (makes sense because it's meant to be used for post production environments). Both sound different, in fact I wouldn't compare Britson to the MFC but the VBC, it's closer to that as far as I can tell.
Thanks for your always-insightful opinions, MN. I guess it would make more sense to compare Britson with VBC, since they're both 8014 emus. MFC just seems to represent the Nebula state of the art.

BTW, I've learned much about Nebula from your past writings, so thanks for that, too.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I loaded Britson onto all tracks and busses, and copied settings (LP/HP/Fat/etc) as best I could from the existing SatSon instances. I'm finding that I like using the buss color stuff in certain places—Master Loudness brings out mid texture on the drum buss that I like a lot, and Master Bright seems to add some nice air to stuff like vocals and airy keys, and I have yet to hear anything objectionable come from using them. That said, I've only tried this stuff on a couple of songs.

But anyhow, the initial differences I heard came before I went in and added all the cool new stuff.
Thank for the reply ;-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search