The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 13th March 2014
  #61
Lives for gear
 
djshire's Avatar
 

So is this going to just be like Satson or is it going to be a channel strip...?
Old 13th March 2014
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire View Post
So is this going to just be like Satson or is it going to be a channel strip...?
Pretty much like Satson, feature-wise.
Old 13th March 2014
  #63
Gear Head
 

I really like the GUI pics so far, I kind of wish satson looked as nice (maybe Gui update later =D) anyways can't wait!!!
Old 13th March 2014
  #64
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb Formz View Post
I really like the GUI pics so far, I kind of wish satson looked as nice (maybe Gui update later =D) anyways can't wait!!!
+1
Old 13th March 2014
  #65
OK....so now I got the email from Sonimus and I can spill some beans.

1 - It's much warmer and less subtle than Satson. Still very subtle, but this time it's more obvious and glues things much better IMHO. Filters are pretty much the same - gentle, very gentle.

2 - Same features as Satson such as output compensation, crosstalk, fat mode, calibration options but Britson has some extra treats and now the Bus channel has 3 EQ curves (flat, bright, loud) that can add an extra character to the material.

3 - I might be technically wrong (and probably am) but Britson seems to have more headroom and works even better than Satson when driven hot.

You guys are gonna love it.

Old 13th March 2014
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
diogo do you know is this one will have a demo?
Old 13th March 2014
  #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
diogo do you know is this one will have a demo?
I'm not sure - I'll check that for ya.
Old 13th March 2014
  #68
Gear Addict
 
johnnynash's Avatar
I bought Satson when it first came out. I own NLS and Slates VCC but Satson is the one that gets used 95% of the time. It just has that elusive something about its sound and what it does when you mix into it. I'm gonna get Britson, demo or no demo :-)
Old 13th March 2014
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I'm not sure - I'll check that for ya.
Thanks
Old 14th March 2014
  #70
Lives for gear
 
HamHat's Avatar
 

Most of their products don't have demos and the ones that do are severely crippled, I avoided the company for a long time because of it. Luckily I had a friend with the plugs so I could actually try them out, quality stuff. They should really work on that tho...
Old 14th March 2014
  #71
We've been here before, but demos for such a cheap to outright own product?
Old 14th March 2014
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
We've been here before, but demos for such a cheap to outright own product?
Chris I am not singling you out when I say this but generally that notion is silly and it is somewhat pervasive. I don't think any reasonable person would be frivolous with their money, no matter how much money would be at stake. It's almost the same as saying let me throw a dollar out of my car window; it's only a dollar. But again, reasonably, why would one do that? I know somebody would come back and say but buying something you are at least getting something in return. But, that's point of contention isn't it! May be the thing I am getting is not right for me as it turns out or it's nice but having other options just as nice doesn't warrant me having it. Then it's just irresponsibility under the guise of "cheap to own." There is nothing okay about that, that I can see.

Now I'm not making any snap judgments about this plugin in any way. That's why as you guessed it, I'd like to demo it. In fact me wanting to demo it first proves I have not made any judgements about it before hand and ironically to just purchase it blindly is actually a pre-judgment.
Old 14th March 2014
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Chris I am not singling you out when I say this but generally that notion is silly and it is somewhat pervasive.
I don't think it's 'silly', just a difference of opinion.
Of course a demo would be ideal, but creating a demo takes time and effort.
I agree $39 is not to be sneezed at, but I think you get a pretty good idea of what the product does before you decide to purchase.
No one is prepared to risk anything any more, and people expect something for nothing more and more. When i saw the $39 price tag my first thought was 'insanely cheap'. Where I live, to order one plate of steak and fries would be around $39 - just for perspective.
Old 14th March 2014
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Pretty much like Satson, feature-wise.

How would you say Brtison compares to the VCC Neve?
Old 14th March 2014
  #75
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I don't think it's 'silly', just a difference of opinion.
Of course a demo would be ideal, but creating a demo takes time and effort.
I agree $39 is not to be sneezed at, but I think you get a pretty good idea of what the product does before you decide to purchase.
No one is prepared to risk anything any more, and people expect something for nothing more and more. When i saw the $39 price tag my first thought was 'insanely cheap'. Where I live, to order one plate of steak and fries would be around $39 - just for perspective.
Agreed.
Old 14th March 2014
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I don't think it's 'silly', just a difference of opinion.
Of course a demo would be ideal, but creating a demo takes time and effort.
I agree $39 is not to be sneezed at, but I think you get a pretty good idea of what the product does before you decide to purchase.
No one is prepared to risk anything any more, and people expect something for nothing more and more. When i saw the $39 price tag my first thought was 'insanely cheap'. Where I live, to order one plate of steak and fries would be around $39 - just for perspective.
I actually agree with you that there are hardly any risks left that people take, especially in audio. It used to be that you would have to commit to a sound and then just dive in and do it. With the DAW, it is a total luxury so that pressure (which gives rise to character and unique qualities) is removed. Creatively, yeah there should be more risks. But financially, it is has never been where one does not have an opportunity to demo something they will be using (not food), something that stays with you; a tool. That has almost always been an option. I understand it does take resources and time to create demo's but that comes with the territory too. You can't say "well I'll forgo that part and leave it up to you as the consumer to gamble with it." Just think if you were not allowed to look at, touch, and try out merchandise in a store.
Again price is not the issue it's a matter of asking the question, would I just throw my money into the streets, no matter how much it is, for no apparent reason? Of course not. That would be silly, absurd at best. For me, I get a pretty good idea of what I am getting into by simply demo'ing it.
Old 14th March 2014
  #77
Gear Head
 

hhm. Well I think regardless if you've tasted (demoed) a steak before if your going to brand new place, a nice restaurant (Audio plugin company) you don't say hey chef bring me a piece of that nice sirloin, you ask people/the waiter/ read reviews, kind of like what you'd do in audio plugin world and you jump in. (I've heard it tastes great!) I see no difference.

Should they figure out a demo/refund system.. yes they really do but I think at this point it's safe to say their products wont disappoint.
Old 14th March 2014
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb Formz View Post
hhm. Well I think regardless if you've tasted (demoed) a steak before if your going to brand new place, a nice restaurant (Audio plugin company) you don't say hey chef bring me a piece of that nice sirloin, you ask people/the waiter/ read reviews, kind of like what you'd do in audio plugin world and you jump in. (I've heard it tastes great!) I see no difference.

Should they figure out a demo/refund system.. yes they really do but I think at this point it's safe to say their products wont disappoint.
Which is why I did not like the food analogy because it is the one thing that you normally can't demo. Thinking of everything else, especially utilities and tools, and more so in higher price brackets, it would seem logical to be able to try it in some capacity. The logic shouldn't stop at lower prices, it is still a sound logic to consider. And again I think it is great that a lot of people can have faith in a repeat experience with a company. I don't use any of these products but I do hear and read good things. But I still hold that to be judgment before the fact if it has not been personally tried out.
Old 14th March 2014
  #79
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Which is why I did not like the food analogy because it is the one thing that you normally can't demo. Thinking of everything else, especially utilities and tools, and more so in higher price brackets, it would seem logical to be able to try it in some capacity. The logic shouldn't stop at lower prices, it is still a sound logic to consider. And again I think it is great that a lot of people can have faith in a repeat experience with a company. I don't use any of these products but I do hear and read good things. But I still hold that to be judgment before the fact if it has not been personally tried out.
No I completely understand. In fact everyone does, but the fact is though food may be one of the only things you don't demo beforehand.. you still do it. We all do, not seldom in fact I believe so even though it's the minority example if it something we partake it for whatever reason knowingly.. than it has to and should be used as an example. I try so many different foods/candies daily that all add up to much much more than the fee of this plugin. Heck if I hear a good book is out from a new up and coming author I don't go to a local book store and read a few pages in. Why? cause it reveals nothing! I won't know if it was a good purchase until it's completed. All i know is that it's a good idea or concept. Now realistically yes I might be able to return it depending on where it was purchased. But in all seriousness who really does that. I know I don't and most of my friends don't either we just donate em to gooodwill. Spend a few weeks maybe a moth immersed in a story good or bad and when it's all said and done return it?

My long point is. we all are guilty of wasting a lot of money on dumb things. Maybe you hate this plugin.. then maybe 6 months later you love it and are glad you made the purchase.

But I do get your point entirely and I do agree 100% People deserve a proper demo, but considering I spent 35 dollars on a pillow I cant return a few days ago its hard for me to complain about the price when I'm sure it'l be a good product.

PS. Where I live guitarcenter and Sam ash and most other places to buy audio gear they wont let me demo it all all. I've offered to put in under my credit card for damages etc. no go. And by the time I've properly demoed a piece of gear.. Properly after a month or two I can't return it. just food for thought.
Old 14th March 2014
  #80
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

I gotta chime in and disagree with @Kaleb Formz with your food/restaurant analogy do NOT apply here even though I myself don't mind for a demo (because this Dev have made his mark & proven that his earlier products are great with the many amazing feedbacks from users around here) and also wouldn't mind if Sonimus would come up with an available demo of this new plugin as well. I think the kind of example that follow the idea of @TranscendingM would be: buying a car/ or when you buy a product at Bestbuy with a return policy and the list goes on & on.

So let's not mix oranges & apples here please because we could go on & on and mentioned many other great plugins Devs around here who their products are as well as top notch as Sonimus and they're price is in the same range as well and still do release DEMOS ;-)

I wish the Dev find a middle ground for all ;-) Peace
Old 14th March 2014
  #81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Which is why I did not like the food analogy because it is the one thing that you normally can't demo.
My analogy wasn't about demoing, it was about the many things people buy without even thinking about it.
Like a $4 coffee.
People will spend $30 a week on soy latte's and claim $2 is too expensive to download a song from iTunes.
People will think nothing of spending more than $100 on a single night out at a club, but freak out at $39 for a plug-in they can use for the next two or three years.
Old 14th March 2014
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
I think within the realm of food, we're sort of forced to. First, we gota eat and secondly and probably more pertinently,we can't return the food we "demo" lol. The barter then seems unfair to the vendor which doesn't justify "demo" as far as food goes. Albeit, some places you can sample food but this is a digression. What Solar described is what I am referring to indeed. In general just because the opportunity to demo something is lacking it doesn't make not having demos available in other avenues where it is possible to have them such as software, okay. And again even if i understand why it isn't really possible in one industry such as food, it doesn't mean I should follow suite because the price is low enough, irregardless of being guilty of wasting money at times or having a change of heart on a whim. And that addresses what you are saying Chrisso. Yes people will waste money on a lot of things, why does that mean that I should conduct myself the same way? Without thinking? Or wasting? I mean to drive that as the point, that only teaches me that I should be able to demo so as not to waste my money or follow conventions like buying without thinking. I'm not freaking out about the price, I am taking up concerned with the fact I can't make an informed decision, which I don't see as unreasonable. We all have our scruples or codes of conduct right? and they should be unconditional to mean anything, especially if it is practical and it enhances your personal life or possesses a logic. This is why I don't like to bring money amounts into it, the point is about how I conduct myself and/or handle money based on informed decisions. kaleb I see your point too, I do, I just think that it is ad hoc to the idea that if it is cheap enough then the gamble is justified. Which if you believe in that, cool, if it works for you. I am saying I prefer to make an informed decision based on my own experience and make a verdict based on my impressions of that experience. In a situation where the gamble doesn't work in my favor, then to me it is no different than tossing my money in the streets, and that is not part of my normal conduct so it doesn't make sense to me.

At any rate, I don't want to go off-topic in the dev's thread. Let's see what develops...
Old 14th March 2014
  #83
Like I said, it's not really about demoing food.
The same people who will spend $100-$200 to go to a techno club think $39 is too much to buy a plug-in without trying it first.
I'm just talking about the fear factor regarding investing in your music, which doesn't seem to be a factor when going out - club might be empty, dj might be having an off night etc...
Old 14th March 2014
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Like I said, it's not really about demoing food.
The same people who will spend $100-$200 to go to a techno club think $39 is too much to buy a plug-in without trying it first.
I'm just talking about the fear factor regarding investing in your music, which doesn't seem to be a factor when going out - club might be empty, dj might be having an off night etc...
Yes I agree, those types of people exist that has no bearing on who I am and my own decisions.
Old 14th March 2014
  #85
I don't know anything about you. So no, my comment was just a general comment about no one in particular, just the need for demos of sub-$50 plug-ins.
I take full advantage of demos, but most of the plug-ins I own are getting on for $100 or more - Fabfilter, Native Instruments, UAD.
Back to the Britson which I will most likely be purchasing on day one.
Old 14th March 2014
  #86
I agree that even at $39 some kind of demo would be nice. However, given the tremendous value of this plugin i'd say even some solid audio demo's would be enough.

That said - i recently recorded a 25 second clip (drums / bass / guitar) for the specific purpose of comparing slate / sheps / sonimus console emulators. I can post links if anyone is interested.
Old 14th March 2014
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
How would you say Brtison compares to the VCC Neve?
Much more colored, that's for sure. It doesn't add that bass you hear in the Brit N (though that's something I never found too real to be honest because the few Neve stuff I've used doesn't do that but maybe because they're too old, dunno). The iron transformer color is definitely there, that's what impress me the most to be honest because that's something I've never heard before in other software besides Nebula (CDSoundMaster's N-Ten-AT4 and AlexB's 73eQ come to mind). I use the Brit N a lot because it doesn't sound like Neve which is not my favorite type of sound to be honest (too colored and "thin", if I may say), but I'm sure people into Rock music will love Britson because it has that "Rock-ish" vibe.

Tl;dr they're very different in all aspects.
Old 14th March 2014
  #88
Lives for gear
 
quadrafunk's Avatar
 

I will always support Sonimus because they make great plugins without all the drama.

Sure a demo would be nice, but they've earned my business by the way they handle theirs.

From what I've experienced they drop a plugin and it works. No fanfare or million dollar quotes.

They let the plugins speak for themselves. Imagine that.
Old 14th March 2014
  #89
Lives for gear
 
RaySoul's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I don't know anything about you. So no, my comment was just a general comment about no one in particular, just the need for demos of sub-$50 plug-ins.
I take full advantage of demos, but most of the plug-ins I own are getting on for $100 or more - Fabfilter, Native Instruments, UAD.
Back to the Britson which I will most likely be purchasing on day one.

This.

It makes me giddy to see all this walla about a plugin Diego has not even released yet. As excited about Satson as I was when beta testing, who woulda thought it would grow to this.

Hey D, if you're watchin' this thread, congrats, man. I'll get mine day one as well...
Old 14th March 2014
  #90
Gear Head
 

Post

"I think within the realm of food, we're sort of forced to. First, we gota eat and secondly and probably more pertinently,we can't return the food we "demo"
The barter then seems unfair to the vendor which doesn't justify "demo" as far as food goes"


Lol absolutely not I don't read a review on a nice place and order something pricey after getting good reviews/what I hear cause I neeed to. Heck I could eat peas and carrots till I die and avoid disease all together. We do those things because we want to. I'm talking indulgences which we all do, not the necessaries like water etc.


kaleb I see your point too, I do, I just think that it is ad hoc to the idea that if it is cheap enough then the gamble is justified. Which if you believe in that, cool, if it works for you. I am saying I prefer to make an informed decision based on my own experience and make a verdict based on my impressions of that experience. In a situation where the gamble doesn't work in my favor, then to me it is no different than tossing my money in the streets, and that is not part of my normal conduct so it doesn't make sense to me.

again see the above reply. That's exactly what we do when we're trying out sushi or macaroni etc. anything we haven't previously eaten but could just a well suck. It's called gambling with an "Informed decision" reviews/friends comments

If you add mushrooms to aburger (if you never tired em) to see if you'll like it, it's gambling with your hard earned money. You don't need the mushrooms on a burger to sustain your life, it's a gamble to try something new, like with this plugin . I only bring it up cause it's just common sense.
In contrast it Is relevant and the barter is then justified.

But regardless again I still think it would be a great idea to have a proper demo even though I know Britson is going to rock! I'll def be getting on day one !
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump