The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
So has anyone AB'd a mix using the Britson to the VCC?

If so, is there a noticeable difference between the two?
Yes I have and yes there is. Britson gives a different flavor. The main thing I notice is a slight compression effect on mid and upper mid frequencies and a slight boost of higher frequencies.

It really depends on the source material and genre. VCC strikes me as "hard" while Britson seems "soft" (very subjective I know). I never really hear VCC impart musicality to an instrument or mix. VCC is more like a presence adjuster. The thing I like about Britson is that when it works, it brings out musicality in a part, which is something I haven't really heard other ITB console emulations do. It's the first console emulation that sprinkles fairy dust (credit the Troggs for fairy dust reference).

I mainly use console emulations on channels. I rarely use them on the master buss with some exceptions but I have thoroughly demoed Britson on the master buss. To me Britson's main strength is on individual channels. In that application it does something I can't get with SDRR or VCC.
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Maniac

OK everyone, I have a question for you to ponder; I'm interested in your responses (not necessarily "that's wrong/right")...

A few scenarios, each involving a mix with individual tracks, group/folders, and sub mixes/buss mixes.

Scenario #1:
Britson channel on every track.
Britson buss on every group &buss.

Scenario #2:
DAW's trim utility on every track (-18dbfs).
Britson channel on every group/folder.
Britson buss on every buss mix.

Scenario #3:

Satson on every track.
Britson buss on every buss.

Scenario #4:
Satson on every group/folder.
Britson buss in every buss.

What are your thoughts? What works for you?
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernotroger View Post
OK everyone, I have a question for you to ponder; I'm interested in your responses (not necessarily "that's wrong/right")...

A few scenarios, each involving a mix with individual tracks, group/folders, and sub mixes/buss mixes.

Scenario #1:

Scenario #2:

Scenario #3:

Satson on every track.

Scenario #4:

I think the idea of putting a channel emulator on every channel is an antiquated concept. When we actually used analog consoles we had to have an analog channel on every track but that doesn't mean that every track benefited from it.

My approach is to try different channel emulators on important tracks and see which one if any the track benefits from. Then once I have that, I try a master buss emulator to see if it takes the general sound of the mix in a good direction.

A major benefit of Britson channel as someone else already pointed out is that it will make reverbs and other lower volume elements sit better in the mix and be more audible without being overbearing.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear
I kinda just pick as I go along... I sprinkle Britsons and Satsons as needed. I do like the idea of planning certain desks to mix into, incidentally I am sort of trying that on a new project at the moment, but I have NLS involved as well.

Keep in mind that the way these things react depends much on whats running thru them, the dynamics and the frequency balance at any particular level and drive.

I think these new ways of working are a ****load of fun though! heh
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:

Scenario #1:

Scenario #2:

Scenario #3:

Satson on every track.

Scenario #4:

Can you explain to me the difference between your groups, folders, and busses?
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJimmyBuffet View Post
Can you explain to me the difference between your groups, folders, and busses?
Sorry, should have clarified terminology...
Groups = Ableton
Folders = Reaper
Same idea really.
So...

Indiv tracks (ac GTR 1, ac GTR 2)
Go into
Folder (ac GTR)

Kick snare -> Folder: (kit)
OH L, OH R -> (OHs)
Rhodes, organ -> (KEYS)

Etc, OK? Then...

Folders go into sub mixes.

(Kit), (OH) -> PERC SUB MIX
(AC GTR), (KEYS) -> INST SUBMIX

etc...
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Completely agree. SonEq is another one. If you ignore the fact that you are using a plugin, the sound coming out of the speakers is analogous to that of a pristine analogue eq.
Completely agree !
I have britson and I like so much how it sounds, that it is light and functional !
Will purchase also SonEQ pro, such a fantastic EQ, demoed it and I like it more than the UAD pultec.
No fuzzy things, just good sound, "handy" and light on CPU. Waiting for the first Sonimus Compressor

Nebula Programs - 3rd party libraries - Online Studio Guitar Tracks
Old 29th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
Completely agree !
I have britson and I like so much how it sounds, that it is light and functional !
Will purchase also SonEQ pro, such a fantastic EQ, demoed it and I like it more than the UAD pultec.
No fuzzy things, just good sound, "handy" and light on CPU. Waiting for the first Sonimus Compressor

SonEQ Pro IS one out of two EQs I only use. I only use it and Pro Q (Pro Q 2 now!)

SonEQ Pro is absolutely excellent, greatest ITB EQ for simple, limited, but flexible EQing. The limited options and features (Limited Q controls on certain bands, limited high band choices) make EQing super easy, since you don't get bogged down with so many choices that it becomes overwhelming... yet its still extremely flexible. You're able to dial in a sound in under a minute. Light CPU. And it sounds excellent, super super super smooth, like butter. You can boost the hell out of it and not make it sound bad.

SonEQ Pro IS THE PRODUCT that makes me excited for future Sonimus' products, especially a compressor with the same philosophical approach in terms of simplicity, ease of use, but still being flexible enough to use on all tracks!
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Guru
I like Sweetone a lot also! Great for dialing in quickly
Old 4th September 2014
Here for the gear
Guys, a quick question:
I have a mix almost finished (without Briston), and I would try to enter it (all channels and all the busses). I'd like to give the mix more warmth and tridimensionality.
It makes sense to try to put it on a mix almost finished, or not?
Thanks!!
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon74 View Post
Guys, a quick question:
I have a mix almost finished (without Briston), and I would try to enter it (all channels and all the busses). I'd like to give the mix more warmth and tridimensionality.
Thanks!!
Just my personal opinion, based on this exact experience:

NO.

The way I include it in my workflow at the moment is this:

When I am still levelling and panning, before I do any EQ or compression, I might insert a Britson Channel here and there if I feel that I need it. I try not to think too hard about it. If I don't feel moved to add a Britson Channel to a track, I leave it as it is.

I will, however insert Britson Buss on the master or even on the sub mixes right from the start.

I might use Satson now and again as a boost for something that I want to drive a bit, and I could do that later on in the mix.

But in answer to your question, if your mix is 90% there, or even 75% there, I wouldn't start adding Britson. It's too late!

However, you could try this: start the whole mix again. And include Britson in your initial levelling stage. See how you get on. You might enjoy the mix in a different way.

Again, JUST MY OPINION, not saying that I'm right. I'm no expert, but I know what I like! (might just copy and paste that into my signature...)
Old 4th September 2014
Quote:
Guys, a quick question:
Thanks!!
Not so much since it works best (in my experience) when you do it along the gain staging of a mix, but why not? Give it a try, I can see it working as a "virtual summing" color box in your situation. It could work that way as well!

Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear
You have grouping now, so it's worth a shot just to 'run it thru' and see what happens.

I always leave the top insert available for testing such as this, although I strongly agree to make these decisions early so that you have control over the balance.
Old 4th September 2014
Here for the gear
The mix is now about 90%
But in fact I might try to add it now and see what happens...

Better, however, after saving a copy of the entire mix
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Guru
If I'm not mistaken there is a setting where you can turn off the color and use it as a simple gain plug in? High and lo cut are very important and can really clean up a mix without changing anything you're hearing. Proper gain staging isn't difficult and your mixes will improve tremendously!
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The mix is now about 90%
But in fact I might try to add it now and see what happens...

Better, however, after saving a copy of the entire mix
• Firstly, I hope you are saving incrementally as you make changes, i.e.

My Awesome Mix V1.0, My Awesome Mix V1.1, My Awesome Mix V1.2, My Awesome Mix V1.3 add bass, My Awesome Mix V1.4 gtr edits, My Awesome Mix V1.5 etc etc

• Secondly, as diogo_c kind of suggested, you could try adding Britson Buss to the master, and putting your mix into submixes, and adding Britson Channel onto every submix, and use them as group mixers? Might be a nice touch.

Last edited by rogernotroger; 4th September 2014 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: a word
Old 4th September 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
• Firstly, I hope you are saving incrementally as you make changes, i.e.

My Awesome Mix V1.0, My Awesome Mix V1.1, My Awesome Mix V1.2, My Awesome Mix V1.3 add bass, My Awesome Mix V1.4 gtr edits, My Awesome Mix V1.5 etc etc

• Secondly, as diogo_c kind of suggested, you could try adding Britson Buss to the master, and putting your mix into submixes, and adding Britson Channel onto every submix, and use them as group mixers? Might be a nice touch.
in fact, I'm not so diligent...
I have only two saves of the same mix : edit and mix
Now I try to save a third session to add Briston ... let's see what happens!
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
in fact, I'm not so diligent...
I have only two saves of the same mix : edit and mix
Now I try to save a third session to add Briston ... let's see what happens!
Repeat after me: Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S),
Old 4th September 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Repeat after me: Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S), Command S (Control S),
Old 4th September 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

Does anyone have any real AB comparison with Slates VCC or Britson?

Anyone have both? If so... care to chime in?

Thanks!

SEA
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Maniac
I've found Britson to be a little cleaner in the top end. VCC seems to be more coloured. The two plugins definitely don't overlap in anyway, but I certainly couldn't say one was better than the other. If anything, Britson is a great addition to VCC and I'd place it somewhere in beween the SSL and Neve VCC emus - YMMV.

Any word on AAX support?
Old 15th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdrummer44 View Post
I've found Britson to be a little cleaner in the top end. VCC seems to be more coloured. The two plugins definitely don't overlap in anyway, but I certainly couldn't say one was better than the other. If anything, Britson is a great addition to VCC and I'd place it somewhere in beween the SSL and Neve VCC emus - YMMV.

Any word on AAX support?
I too wonder about their AAX support frequently. Really stinks that they are such a quiet company and don't talk to the public much. I do not want to lose SonEQ Pro as I fully move over to pt11.
Old 9th October 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdrummer44 View Post

Any word on AAX support?
I was thinking about putting the Britson on the top of my channel for metering and the VCC and the bottom. I know I've done this with the Satson. Has anyone tried this? That way you could add the Britson in along with VCC and AB them side by side or put them together and see if you like the way it sounds!
Old 9th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I too wonder about their AAX support frequently. Really stinks that they are such a quiet company and don't talk to the public much. I do not want to lose SonEQ Pro as I fully move over to pt11.
I think they got tired of all the flak and controversy and decided to keep away from the boards, but drop them an email and I'm sure they'll answer quickly.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I think they got tired of all the flak and controversy and decided to keep away from the boards, but drop them an email and I'm sure they'll answer quickly.
I sent them this message:

April 24th, 2014 - Me

"I was just wondering if Sonimus is still planning to make AXX versions of their plugins. I own SonEQ Pro and Satson. I remember when I purchased SonEQ Pro I read something about AXX being a near future release. After owning SonEQ Pro for over 1/2 year, I have come to realize it is the absolute best shaping EQ out there. My workflow now depends on it.
Couple that with its low CPU usage and it becomes a perfect plugin. I just don't think I can mix without it, so I was just curious if there are any developments in the AAX progress."

April 24th, 2014 - Sonimus

"Hi Joseph,
Great to hear your comments about Sonimus´s products
It is necessary some change in development framework for a 100% compilation on AAX. We are working on it. This is why we can not asure a date for release.
We have not yet defined the roadmap for SonEQ. We will consider your comments.
Regarding compressor, we are working on it Let´s keep in contact...
Thank you very much.
Cheers!!"

I've owned plugins from them for a year now! I LOVE SonEQ Pro.. don't think I can quite work without it. Hope they are still doing business, they are the most quite company ever.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I was thinking about putting the Britson on the top of my channel for metering and the VCC and the bottom. I know I've done this with the Satson. Has anyone tried this? That way you could add the Britson in along with VCC and AB them side by side or put them together and see if you like the way it sounds!
I have used it with VCC and it's subtle enough to me (but I love saturation!). Thinking of workflow back in the day everything went to tape and had preamps attached to each input. A lot of submixing was done to save tracks (because sync was a big issue), so saturation and some crosstalk is part of the nostalgic analogue sound.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:

April 24th, 2014 - Me

"I was just wondering if Sonimus is still planning to make AXX versions of their plugins. I own SonEQ Pro and Satson. I remember when I purchased SonEQ Pro I read something about AXX being a near future release. After owning SonEQ Pro for over 1/2 year, I have come to realize it is the absolute best shaping EQ out there. My workflow now depends on it.
Couple that with its low CPU usage and it becomes a perfect plugin. I just don't think I can mix without it, so I was just curious if there are any developments in the AAX progress."

"Hi Joseph,
It is necessary some change in development framework for a 100% compilation on AAX. We are working on it. This is why we can not asure a date for release.
Thank you very much.
Cheers!!"

I've owned plugins from them for a year now! I LOVE SonEQ Pro.. don't think I can quite work without it. Hope they are still doing business, they are the most quite company ever.
They're still on business. Hope they can come out with those AAX someday, sooner rather than later. Although I don't need those I can sympathize with fellow PT slutz.

Hope than can come out with new plugs as well. A compressor from Sonimus would definitely be interesting to hear.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear
sonimus.com is down again......
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

April 24th, 2014 - Me

"Hi Joseph,
Thank you very much.
Cheers!!"

I prefer them being quiet than some developers (don't say names here who interact the whole time with customers but are one year in delay with releases or updates. Better they are in silence, no false promises but when they shoot the bullet, it kicks asses !!
Since I own SonEq pro mixing became much more fun. Did a full mix recently just with Britson, SonEq pro and Klanghelm DC8C. No decisions which plug in to choose, just to master these few great sounding plugs and to "flow", without using the brain.
Low shelf, HP, LP, cleaning with mid EQ (high Q), boosting with mid EQ, adding ore removing highs, done ! After the super tweakable DC8C which is so versatile. This companies made my life easier. Low CPU, stable, good sounding and intuitive - thank you !!

p.s. wanted to visit their page yesterday, it is down! Hope everything is fine...

http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/nebula-programs.html
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Head

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post

p.s. wanted to visit their page yesterday, it is down! Hope everything is fine...

Same here, I went to download the updated versions of Britson and Satson only to find that its down.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search