The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Yes, I do it often with good results.
Here too. I like Britson when I want things up front and crisp, and Satson when I want warm and round. They make great partners AFAIAC.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Guru
I've tried the SW34 with Britson and think it works really well. The eq is really strong in the midrange. I luv saturation so maybe not for everyone. SDRR on the glue master setting really does the trick also. So maybe to some overkill, but liking the blend. Try SW34 w/Freeranger the combo works because Freerange doesn't have some of the mid bands and is super clean where the SW isn't.. Anyway my two pennies...!
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Nut

I LOVE the SW34 with Britson, KILLER combination
Old 9th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Any chance porting it out to Reason 7 RE?
Old 10th July 2014
I'm still waiting anxiously for aax development. SonEQ Pro is one if the greatest ITB EQs IMHO, I'd love to not lose it on the pt 11 switch.
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Maniac

"Updated versions of both plugins will launch shortly, in June: Britson during the first week and Satson during the third."

C'mon Diego........i want Satson grouping feat.....
Greetings
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Maniac

"Updated versions of both plugins will launch shortly, in June: Britson during the first week and Satson during the third."

C'mon Diego........i want Satson grouping feat.....
Greetings

sorry double!!
Old 17th July 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

So if you had to choose between Britson or Slates VCC, which one and why?
Old 17th July 2014
Britson: sound, performance, no ilok
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Addict

same feeling here, for the same reasons.

only wish the HP filters were the same as in Satson, than it would be perfect.
Old 17th July 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

I hear ya!

But what if VCC didn't have an iLok? Would VCC be the way to go?

Also... is there anyone who has both VCC and Britson? If so, what's your preference and why?
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Nut

I'd choose Britson, I stay away from Slate oil merely out of principal. They have a VERY ADEPT marketing team, and that's all I can say.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Apologies if this has already been covered...

I just realised that I've been pulling down faders to mix in Ableton, when I should have been trimming gain before track inserts.

Seems like -18 or -20 is a good starting point, yes/no? OK, so...

I'm thinking my options now are either an Ableton "utility" plug on every track, calibrated with pink noise to read -18dbfs on the master... Or... A britson channel on every track, calibrated the same way, *before* importing any audio.

Or would that be a waste of Britson, just to use it as a fancy trim plug?

I'm just reluctant to get into levelling each individual track with Britson for every mix; it doesn't fit well with my current workflow; but if I can use it as a 'set and forget' gain trimmer then I might include it into my mix template.

Apologies if some of my facts are wonky... I'm teaching myself how to do this, bit by bit...
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I just realised that I've been pulling down faders to mix in Ableton, when I should have been trimming gain before track inserts.

I'm thinking my options now are either an Ableton "utility" plug on every track, calibrated with pink noise to read -18dbfs on the master... Or... A britson channel on every track, calibrated the same way, *before* importing any audio.

I'm just reluctant to get into levelling each individual track with Britson for every mix; it doesn't fit well with my current workflow; but if I can use it as a 'set and forget' gain trimmer then I might include it into my mix template.

Apologies if some of my facts are wonky... I'm teaching myself how to do this, bit by bit...
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJimmyBuffet View Post
I'd choose Britson, I stay away from Slate oil merely out of principal. They have a VERY ADEPT marketing team, and that's all I can say.
Maybe you can help me understand why I instinctively shy away from all of their products...? Just one look at the website was enough to turn me off... But I can't put my finger on the reason...
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear
You can also use any VU meter to monitor the loudness, and Live's clip volume fader to trim (if you're working with audio files).
Britson has both a VU meter and a gain trim, so it packs all you need to get your levels right. It takes seconds to do so really, and your mixes will hugely benefit from that. You can also check Klanghelm VUMT for that purpose.
Now it depends if you want the console emulation or not ?
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but you're saying I should go through 24+ tracks, find the loudest part of each track, adjust the trim on britson on each track, and that takes seconds? I think that would take many minutes...

I'm happy for the console emulation to be there, it sounds great. I tried it already, and loved the sound, but the balancing seemed really arbitrary to me, and every track responded differently to get a good VU meter reading; so I'm wary if using it all the time because of this.

OK... Here's a different question: my routing in Ableton might be - individual tracks - into groups - into mix busses - to master 2 buss. Now, can I get away with something like this: Ableton gain utility on individual tracks, britson channel on the groups, britson buss on the mix busses and the master 2 buss? So I could calibrate all individual tracks to -18db with a simple gain trim utility, then apply britson channel to the groups. How would you calibrate britson channel on the groups?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me understand... I'm feeling really stupid....!
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but you're saying I should go through 24+ tracks, find the loudest part of each track, adjust the trim on britson on each track, and that takes seconds? I think that would take many minutes...

I'm happy for the console emulation to be there, it sounds great. I tried it already, and loved the sound, but the balancing seemed really arbitrary to me, and every track responded differently to get a good VU meter reading; so I'm wary of using it all the time because of this.

OK... Here's a different question: my routing in Ableton might be - individual tracks - into groups - into mix busses - to master 2 buss. Now, can I get away with something like this: Ableton gain utility on individual tracks, britson channel on the groups, britson buss on the mix busses and the master 2 buss? So I could calibrate all individual tracks to -18db with a simple gain trim utility, then apply britson channel to the groups. How would you calibrate britson channel on the groups?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me understand... I'm feeling really stupid....!
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear
On what levels are you Britson guys using this?

Are your meters moving within the plugin? I'm curious.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Nut

I have mine set to -20 for my 0dbU. And yes I think I usually find the loudest section and average that to to 0 in britson, and I used to adjust the faders if my group instance was too loud or soft, but now I'm just putting a trim before the group instance.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernotroger View Post

Actually yes, britson IS just a glorified trim in a lot of ways. I would recommend getting into gainstaging more, and adapting your workflow to it. Like I said in another post, I set britson on the channels then freeze the tracks down
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear
+1 to NotJimmyBuffet post !

rogernotoger, have you read The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored) ? If not, you should !

Gain-stage ideally starts at recording, then it takes seconds per track to do it right. If not, it won't be that time-consuming to "go through 24+ tracks, find the loudest part of each track, adjust the trim on britson on each track". Besides, it'll make mixing so much easier it totally worth it, really ! As you're using Live, I'd use each audio file's Volume fader (in the audio editor, next to Transpose and Tune knobs) to trim, so that you can still use Britson's own Gain knob as an effect.

Keep in mind that a VU won't tell you everything, you still need to watch your peaks : it wouldn't make sense to have hi-hats/shakers at 0VU (no matter how you've decide to calibrate your mixes), it would clip permanently !

I mix with 0dB VU = -20dB RMS / 300ms. My 2buss never peaks above -6dBFS.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Nut

Indeed, if you cant spend a few minutes listening to each track in solo, staging it and doing some minor filtering, you'll never have a good mix.

This is a huge mistake I was making for a while, I was way to eager to pull up my plugins and change the sound, but none of that matters if you cant gainstage/static mix properly.

Balance is literally 85% of the way to a good mix. EQ, compression, reverb, and DLA only make up that last 15%
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
+1 to NotJimmyBuffet post !

rogernotoger, have you read The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored) ? If not, you should !
Yes I read that thread, very informative!

Would Hornet's VU Meter do a similar job here?
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Indeed, if you cant spend a few minutes listening to each track in solo, staging it and doing some minor filtering, you'll never have a good mix.

This is a huge mistake I was making for a while, I was way to eager to pull up my plugins and change the sound, but none of that matters if you cant gainstage/static mix properly.

Balance is literally 85% of the way to a good mix. EQ, compression, reverb, and DLA only make up that last 15%
Good point, I totally agree; I'm learning to discipline myself more and hold off on loading any plugins until I have addressed levels and pans first.

Thanks for the input.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

+1 great info!!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Out of topic , but i just got 2 new computers and after install on version 1.2 of statson , i insterted the plugin and had a loopaback crazy noise that fuked up my beyerdynamics and my hears !!!!

Anyone got this iissue

Win 8 , 64 bits , Vst version
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Out of topic , but i just got 2 new computers and after install on version 1.2 of statson , i insterted the plugin and had a loopaback crazy noise that fuked up my beyerdynamics and my hears !!!!

Anyone got this iissue

Win 8 , 64 bits , Vst version
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

I dont think I've ever gotten this, maybe open a support ticket with Sonimus?
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont think I've ever gotten this, maybe open a support ticket with Sonimus?
i will ....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search