The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Addict

yes thanks for grouping feature !

PS if you can do the same for Satson ....
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by home studio 87 View Post

Ps if you can do the same for satson ....
a big +1!
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Both plug-ins will have that. It's just a matter of time.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorey View Post
We have been working in a new version of Britson. "Grouping" will be added in this release.

Boris
Are there any other new features on the next release in addition to Grouping?
Cheers
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear
Grouping will make these easier to identify quickly over an entire tune. That is huge!

Lets hope it plays friendly with the DAW.
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Studio 87 View Post

PS if you can do the same for Satson ....

Yes, Satson will have grouping too
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Both plug-ins will have that. It's just a matter of time.
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Addict

Yes.
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Group on/off

Have been playing with Britson all day, and learnt a lot from reading this thread. Definitely very important to mix into the channels and avoid hitting the red too much, makes a huge difference, and probably does explain a lot of negative reactions to people just slapping the Channel willy-nilly across an existing mix.

I assigned a key in ableton to activate/deactivate all Britson Channels, and didn't realise that I was using that key for another purpose as well, so every now and again I would be thinking "why does my mix suddenly sound like ****?" until I realised that I had turned off all the Britson Channels!

My personal opinion is that the differences in the vintage/modern crossover are really noticeable, the vintage crossover seems to distort the bass in the centre of the mix in a nice way, the modern crossover seems to accentuate hi-mids/vocal sibilants; but that might just be my ears.

I just finished a mix, and A/Bing with the client's rough mix, I feel like I can "see to the back of the dark room" in my Britson mix, which is new for me.

Very pleased with this purchase, and a big fan of Sonimus products.

Support Sonimus!!!
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

now i really became insecure

I have none of them (Satson/Britson) but was close to purchase britson.
But somehow I got the impression more than 50% here are not really satisfied.

I like warm, open and transparent mixes (to have an idea an example: In the house of stone & light - Martin page:
In the House of Stone and Light Music Video - Martin Page - YouTube

..mixed by Mike Shipley, what a genius was this guy... and of course Martin Page. I can listen over and over to this production.

I do mostly jazz-pop, world music.
You think Britson is "muddying" up to much the mixes ? I heard also some complaints about the "highs". Or could it be used also more subtle.

Maybe just 20 % of my recordings are distorted guitar sounds. So the smooth, clean sounds have priority for me...

I own Stripbus which is fantastic for some applications. But also on the quite colored site.

Is satson still the better solution for my described sonic target ? (from point of view from people who worked with both
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
now i really became insecure

I have none of them (Satson/Britson) but was close to purchase britson.
But somehow I got the impression more than 50% here are not really satisfied.

I like warm, open and transparent mixes (to have an idea an example: In the house of stone & light - Martin page:
In the House of Stone and Light Music Video - Martin Page - YouTube

..mixed by Mike Shipley, what a genius was this guy... and of course Martin Page. I can listen over and over to this production.

I do mostly jazz-pop, world music.
You think Britson is "muddying" up to much the mixes ? I heard also some complaints about the "highs". Or could it be used also more subtle.

Maybe just 20 % of my recordings are distorted guitar sounds. So the smooth, clean sounds have priority for me...

I own Stripbus which is fantastic for some applications. But also on the quite colored site.

Is satson still the better solution for my described sonic target ? (from point of view from people who worked with both
I dare say neither of these plugins will determine if your mix sounds open and transparent - it's just one link in the chain.
To me, the key to both is to mix into them. I have done several projects with Britson now, and have come to really like it. It gives some depth and warmth that Satson does not really do. It does colour a bit more than Satson. As far as brittleness: if you mix into it, it has not been an issue for me. If I had to chose only of the two, I'd go with Britson.
Still, your goal seems to be achievable with both - depending on all the other links in your chain.
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
I dare say neither of these plugins will determine if your mix sounds open and transparent - it's just one link in the chain.
To me, the key to both is to mix into them. I have done several projects with Britson now, and have come to really like it. It gives some depth and warmth that Satson does not really do. It does colour a bit more than Satson. As far as brittleness: if you mix into it, it has not been an issue for me. If I had to chose only of the two, I'd go with Britson.
Still, your goal seems to be achievable with both - depending on all the other links in your chain.

Many thanks, your explanation helped me a lot !
I'm glad I finally found someone here who worked with both.

You took some doubts I had after reading this forum and as you say depth and warmness are superior in Britson, it has priority for me !

With Stripbus I do the same. I adjust the volumes with it, use the HP filter where is needed and start to mix.

To put it on old mixes (before I bought it) works in some cases, in others not.
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Finally I purchased Britson.

I like it sonically, gives a nice warmness in the midrange and "balls" in the lowend.

But I noticed something and I want to ask users here who have Britson.

Did you also hear decreasing dynamics. I had the feeling things became more flat or is it just tricking my ears ?
Old 28th April 2014
I'm really looking forward to the grouping features. Did Sonimus mention when this might be available?
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you also hear decreasing dynamics. I had the feeling things became more flat or is it just tricking my ears ?
If you push it hard, yes.
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Guru
If I'm not mistaken doesn't overdriving any console make it "flatter"? Figuring that's why SKnote adds a "headroom" knob. Maybe I'm wrong but find Decapitator flattens sound also depthwise. To me I just chalk it up to, add something, lose something.....Does this makes sense? "In your face", gonna have less depth due to the nature of what you're doing.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
If I'm not mistaken doesn't overdriving any console make it "flatter"? Figuring that's why SKnote adds a "headroom" knob. Maybe I'm wrong but find Decapitator flattens sound also depthwise. To me I just chalk it up to, add something, lose something.....Does this makes sense? "In your face", gonna have less depth due to the nature of what you're doing.
definitely, I mean if you distort a signal in its entirety what kind of dynamics could you have really if every part of that signal is inducing harmonic distortion and "flat topping." And not that a console is like a guitar amp, but the concept is the same. A heavily distorted guitar signal gets flatter and flatter the more you apply gain to it. Why once again gain staging is crucial..
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

I agree completely to all 3 posts above and I m conscious, that any signal being overdriven gets like a "natural compression". So pushing things, squeezes things.

But this is the strange thing. In the song I was talking about I even used britson to reduce gain, as my mix was in the limits.

Maybe I will post it here the next days. I compared Britson, Sknote Stripbus and the AlexB Demo Console (API as I know). So I know we talk here about different consoles. But I m more interested if they add something good to the music or not.
Def. with all 3 it adds something nice. But I also feel sometimes they could make things a little bit unpredictable.

Its definitively an interesting topic !
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
But I also feel sometimes they could make things a little bit unpredictable.
Indeed! But isn't that why we use plugins that emulate analog gear (or use analog gear)? In my opinion, the unpredictability of some things (even extremely subtle) is what makes some music more interesting (like how a delay will never sound exactly the same on each pass). I consider it the "human" and "imperfect" (or more like "imprecise") elements of art.
Old 29th April 2014
Gear Guru
I agree, crosstalk, non linearity, noise, distortion, can add a lot to the character of a recording. Honestly I'm learning not to get too hung up on ideals when recording. The performance is everything. Sometimes mistakes are innovation. Tape and the nature of technology shaped old sound. Digital is pure. There are no rules. I just put Stripbus, RC-Tube, Decaptiator, and Britson on a rough mixed digital track after opening it up with the Clariphonic and some other stuff. Will all that find it's way in the final? Not sure, but certainly pointed me in a direction, and gave me a lot of band aids to pull off! Fun to work in reverse like that so maybe try putting all the console emulations on something and see what happens when you back them off. If you're not sure what they add you certainly will notice what they subtract!
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear

(Hi Rich by the way , it's me, Lars

This is also the period I m hanging in at the moment

Exported yesterday around 7 mixdowns and listening what I like and what not so much of the different versions (britson, stripbus, nebula).

Absolutely agree about the charm of the analog imperfection, that's why we are all here I guess

I consider myself far from perfection if it's about recording my stuff. I like to keep the "live" vibes, preferring to let some little mistakes than to clean up everything. There is not such a thing like perfection in music (I hope)...or if there is. it would be boring like hell..
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear
I can't put my finger on it... Brit feels more like a conscious decision that Sat.

I guess it's because it has options, bright and loud whereas Satson is always going to be relatively neutral. I find that I need to vigorously A/B Britson to be sure, check at various listening level, etc. Satson, and maybe because I've got trust in it by now, I just set it and forget it. Again, usually I just use the filters, but on occasion, I will just turn it on, more rarely both FAT and on, very rarely options panel and get into the meat.
Old 30th April 2014
Gear Guru
I'm sure others have done this, but was playing a track (guitar/vocal), and wanted to bring up the full mix behind it (guitar, piano, vocal, organ). Pretty much roughing out an arrangement. Had the level down to where you couldn't hear it really, before I brought it up. Really subliminal. A mistake because I thought the fader was all the way down. The depth was amazing. A happy "mistake"... Would have never occured to me otherwise, because would have thought the "noise" of the full mix would be audible or distracting...
Old 3rd May 2014
I own Satson and not Britson but judging from the sound examples I have heard I think britson has a more advanced algorithm.

I wish Diego could update the sound of Satson with whatever tricks he learned while coding britson.

It would be awesome if there was a button on Satson that would switch between the ssL 4000 sound and the ssl 9000 sound.

I can dream can't i??
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

I have to say that now after a few days I get more and more excited about Britson. Like many people mentioned with Satson already, Britson is fantastic just for its HP and LP filters. "Re-mixed" an old Song 2 days ago, cleaning up bottom end and to much mid range information with it's HP filters and put some instrument in the background cutting some highs using the LP filters.
Big improvement ! Had good results with Britson Bus and Stripbus (light ratio 1.1:1) on the bus !
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
I own Satson and not Britson but judging from the sound examples I have heard I think britson has a more advanced algorithm.

I wish Diego could update the sound of Satson with whatever tricks he learned while coding britson.

It would be awesome if there was a button on Satson that would switch between the ssL 4000 sound and the ssl 9000 sound.

I can dream can't i??
haha, I like how it is, but since we're dreaming, imagine having the group function and switching between consoles.

So much fun, it's distracting really.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Really digging Britson. The Fat button can be a useful for dynamics shaping, as well.
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Addict

I'm so happy - clap along if Britson is happyness for you, I'm so happy - clap along if you feel Britson is for you,I'm so haapy - clap along if you know Britson is the true console emu,-I'm so happy... .Ohhh at last got my hands and ears in this amazing plugin...i'm so happy....
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
I'm so happy - clap along if Britson is happyness for you, I'm so happy - clap along if you feel Britson is for you,I'm so haapy - clap along if you know Britson is the true console emu,-I'm so happy... .Ohhh at last got my hands and ears in this amazing plugin...i'm so happy....
Hey! I like your child-like behavior and happiness. You're my only hopes for better future of human kind and the rest of the animals and plants. glad you like it. now use it to mix some cool songs that talks about how capitalism is boring and gay.
Old 15th May 2014
Gear Addict

Yes sir. .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search