The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Site seems to be working for me now.
It's a sign Joe !!
Britson is calling you
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

lol Joe don't say Briston 5 times or you're done ...lol
Old 1st April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
It's a sign Joe !!
Britson is calling you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
lol Joe don't say Briston 5 times or you're done ...lol
Hahaha, you guys...
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

JUst tried this at my friend's studio, I'm buying it, I think it compliments the VCC Neve (same family different tone) rather well and mixing into it gave lovely results. LOVE having all these consoles to play with
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Leo ...would you qualify it hi fi or more "low fi" ..... i like VCC cause with the oversmapling option it's gettin character in a super high quality way ....
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Addict

If anyone wants my copy of Britson, I'll sell it. I've gone VCC and haven't looked back.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilla View Post
If anyone wants my copy of Britson, I'll sell it. I've gone VCC and haven't looked back.
How much?
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
To look back you need to have some time perspective
under the belt...
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Weird... This plugin came out like, a week or two ago... Lol.. What a short time to evaluate it.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Leo ...would you qualify it hi fi or more "low fi" ..... i like VCC cause with the oversmapling option it's gettin character in a super high quality way ....
I would say more low fi and that's exactly what I like about it. It has a ton of character. We put both on all channels and bus of some good sounding drums and the general impression I got was that VCC had an overall taller version of the drums. Deeper lows and extended highs, very sweet sounding.
Britson sounds in the same vein but a bit punchier and wider but not as extended top an bottom. There's a quality that seems almost like this console was older, some of the headroom is not quite there, giving the impression of some light compression. I can see myself using it for this very character with 2 bands I work with. They're more of a retro vibe, very raw sounding.
There's a buildup in the mid highs but it's a cool character and so long as you keep this trait in mind (like any console) you can use it creatively. These drums were using were done with Satson so I figured any disadvantage would apply to both.
As it stands I'd have zero issues creating a quality mix with either of them
they are different and they both work for me, great job Sonimus
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

For anyone using VCC and Britson, try running VCC (I used the API model), on the channels, and the Britson on the master bus instead of VCC...Very cool combination.
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Well, the thing is you may have to work harder in this case because it's too colored and its tone isn't gonna help either for this genre, that's all I was saying. I mix a lot of merengue, salsa, bachata, calipso, etc., etc., and Britson is not good for any of them, or at least I don't like how it works on them, tone-wise. Fortunately, we have tons of options nowadays and we can shape our mixes on different ways depending on the job and it's affordable to some degree, that's the beauty of ITB mixing.
Quoting you again as I had the chance to finally try the Britson on a calm, laid down modern jazzy song....and I gotta agree with you. It was "too much", the mix felt polluted and a bit congested, and I wasn't pushing into the red zone and when I did it was way over the top.

BTW, I felt like all the console emulations failed that particular song. VCC, Sat/Britson, Stripbus....all of them added a layer of "something" that wasn't beneficial to the song. I turned off the emulations and just mixed the song with the regular comps, eqs and so forth and it turned out great. We don't really need to use a console emulation on every mix we do.

So yeah, that's the beauty of ITB mixing.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear
I don't like anything running thru smooth jazz, imo - or my preference is to prioritize a room sound, not the sound of recording and bussing thru equipment. I actually prefer no compression, or if needed, very discreet clean comps and EQ. I don't think there is a reason to need to add harmonics, or make it sound loud on headphones or any of that, it just needs to be natural.

I've tried it (!), to me the difference between some plastic jazz coming on the radio is very different than a concert PA mix.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Weird... This plugin came out like, a week or two ago... Lol.. What a short time to evaluate it.
What do you mean? I decided to never use it after a couple of hours. Would never go for VCC in its place though. But, should we give it another few months and wait for it to grow on us? It usually goes the other way around with plugins: at first you're excited, ... and after a while you realize you never really needed it. If it happens in reverse minus the excitement and the plugin is cheap.. – no need to fight the feeling then.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
What do you mean? I decided to never use it after a couple of hours. .
let me guess, you did 10 mix from start to bottom in that short time period?
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Would you need to do 10 mixes on a real Neve to decide whether you like it or not? Someone either likes the sound right away, or they don't...
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Of course not! Why the heck would I want to do that? I tested it extensively on 2 mixes I was working on and decided that it's utterly unessential to the refinement of my audio. Even that it instead does something to the contrary effect. Please have a look at the other posts I made in this thread if it means anything, before there's another "you're using it wrong".
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
"you're using it wrong".
lol...I hear you. seems like if we don't like it, we aren't using correctly. I personally don't like it on individual tracks, but as a master bus for my VCC, yes I do...
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Of course not! Why the heck would I want to do that? I tested it extensively on 2 mixes I was working on and decided that it's utterly unessential to the refinement of my audio. Even that it instead does something to the contrary effect. Please have a look at the other posts I made in this thread if it means anything, before there's another "you're using it wrong".
i have a lot of musical instrument at my house, sometime a rickenbacker 4003 sound better than a stingray on a certain song and vice versa. I view plugin or hardware in the same manner.
There is no way i could ever judge the quality or versatality a certain piece of gear in a couple of hours... But that's just me.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I would say more low fi and that's exactly what I like about it. It has a ton of character. We put both on all channels and bus of some good sounding drums and the general impression I got was that VCC had an overall taller version of the drums. Deeper lows and extended highs, very sweet sounding.
Britson sounds in the same vein but a bit punchier and wider but not as extended top an bottom. There's a quality that seems almost like this console was older, some of the headroom is not quite there, giving the impression of some light compression. I can see myself using it for this very character with 2 bands I work with. They're more of a retro vibe, very raw sounding.
There's a buildup in the mid highs but it's a cool character and so long as you keep this trait in mind (like any console) you can use it creatively. These drums were using were done with Satson so I figured any disadvantage would apply to both.
As it stands I'd have zero issues creating a quality mix with either of them
they are different and they both work for me, great job Sonimus
Thks Amigo ...for that clear and complete answer ....
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco View Post
i have a lot of musical instrument at my house, sometime a rickenbacker 4003 sound better than a stingray on a certain song and vice versa. I view plugin or hardware in the same manner.
There is no way i could ever judge the quality or versatality a certain piece of gear in a couple of hours... But that's just me.

You're throwing deciding between two different guitars and evaluating the quality of a virtual (!) desk channel (!) in the same category?

And if I were to play along: for how long do you usually play each of the guitars before you decide, two weeks?

And this strange idea that there HAS to be the right time and place to use this plugin.. A desk channel, supposedly Neve! It's not cool to argue all the time, but I just had a vision of a guy in the nuthouse, screaming: "somebody told me that the digital simulation of the channel of an analog mixing desk wasn't going to help me in any way RUOOUAHRGHragh I'm not a lunatic set me FREE!"

This one's not for me. If you love it, fine. FINE! Off to start manufacturing hair brushes that promise to make you look prettier.
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
You're throwing deciding between two different guitars and evaluating the quality of a virtual (!) desk channel (!) in the same category?

And if I were to play along: for how long do you usually play each of the guitars before you decide, two weeks?

1-kind of

2- it take a minute, but that's because i've spent countless hour with them and i know them very well.
Old 4th April 2014
It's weird to see all this negativity around this thread. Weird because when I don't like a product or what it does I just get away from it. Completely. As in not even caring to post about it or even read about it.

You know, that thing called "moving on".
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
For anyone using VCC and Britson, try running VCC (I used the API model), on the channels, and the Britson on the master bus instead of VCC...Very cool combination.
Thanx for the tip. Worked great for a mix I'm working on. In this one I combined it with the vcc Neve on channels and it sounds great
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear
The thing is, this isn't a WHAM listen to ME type of device. It's a subtle accumulation that depends on moving factors, between song, after song, channel to channel, based on signal chain and gain and respective dynamics... and again it's very subtle.

I might throw sprinkles of salt over chocolate and say EWWH, then I might sprinkle some into the ganashe (SP) mix it in before cooling, maybe I will use peanuts and salt the peanuts only, maybe it's too much. Maybe sometime I decide to fine granulate the salt first, ooh better? Oh but not this brand of cocoa.

IMO its not like a guitar amp, where you're like, oh no this is not the color for me.

For me when something is this subtle, I like to sit on it for awhile. There is no way I would buy a console, and throw up a mix, or even a few mixes, and make a decision. Nor could I demo a console at a store, I need to live with it. A stomp pedal? Yeah, I know it right away for the most part.

But I understand people are using these things differently, that's just my take on these things. Believe me, I HATED NLS at first, but I've found it has it's use when diligently sprinkled in, even abused.

No argues, just talk.
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
It's weird to see all this negativity around this thread. Weird because when I don't like a product or what it does I just get away from it. Completely. As in not even caring to post about it or even read about it.

You know, that thing called "moving on".
It's hard! Like taking your eyes off a dog humping a red balloon. While fighting the urge to point out that said humping is pointless. So, while you can't look away, you have to constantly force yourself to shut up, and even force yourself to accept the fact that it's not about the humping itself! Ok, ok. I'll stroll on then, ..

Actually no, I won't. As a Sonimus fan, I paid for Britson the minute it came out and didn't care for it at all, so I should be allowed to spread a little of that impression here when I see grown men discussing the product with a strange, distinguished enthusiasm, as if THIS SPECIFIC PRODUCT was some sort of a delicious, life-enhancing food recipe, "ooh, but you gotta use it on the RIGHT mix, and are you gain-staging properly?". Ad infinitum. Can't I?

Last edited by Dimmy; 4th April 2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thks Amigo ...for that clear and complete answer ....
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
Thanx for the tip. Worked great for a mix I'm working on. In this one I combined it with the vcc Neve on channels and it sounds great
Glad I was able to help!
Old 5th April 2014
TZk
Gear Maniac

Don't know if it's mentioned or not.
I want a Noise button on the Britson buss to remove the noise it brings.
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear
...lost my initial post (?)

Anyway, I thought I should purchase Britson, so I'm not ****ting you guys with my views through Satson... I could be completely wrong. However I was thinking of also getting one of their EQs. Would Sweetone be redundant to Satson's filters, or should I just pony up for the SonEQ. I am also considering Hornet SW34 (which I demoed already and I think it is very HQ) in this bunch, as I need a decent easy native, I've been waiting weeks to finally pull a trigger. Can anyone help me? Quickly? I am ready to go.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search