The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 29th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
I want to edit: Basically, not that it's bad...It just doesn't seem to play nice with my other go to EQs and comps color wise that is.
You inserted it on a finished mix?

You already know this but the best way to evaluate all these console emus is to mix a song with it from scratch. Applying to a finished/advanced mix isn't really the best way to test these things.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
no, sorry if I gave that impression. I have my usual chain of EQs and compressors that I like to use, and I created them over the last year or more to follow the VCC. I don't think I want to invest the time it would take me to alternate and find plugins that will play nice with Britson. I like the ability to toggle between different consoles..not for the "real-ity" of them, but for the flavor..whatever that may be.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungu View Post
have you used it on any rock music with distorted guitars?
my style of music almost always has distorted guitars in it and so im hoping to hear how it sounds with this music. the satson naturally blends with my music and i love it.
to my ears it has alot to do with the style of music you are recording in terms of what sounds good with what.
whats the primary difference you hear between britson and the vcc neve sound?

Yes, this was my point. With VCC, since it has the various emus, I can switch between them to see what works best for the style. now, i know I know...If I had a real Neve, I wouldn't switch consoles based on style, however, Britson, is not a real Neve....lol

I will try it with rock when I have the chance. It was mainly because I wanted to use it in lieu of the VCC's Neve, since it feels a bit narrow compared to Britson, however, the thickness of even the SSL emu in VCC sounds better to me, especially when I put the Neve on the Master bus. Maybe I will try Britson for the master only and see what happens.

Still feel like I wasted money on it...
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I tried it on a Latin Salsa track I am mixing...
That's something I would never use Britson in.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's something I would never use Britson in.
Well a console is a console, so I figured why not? It's technically supposed to work but for me it didn't.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
I do plenty of other work, but it happens that I had this track to mix so i figured I'd start with that. I will try it on other things though.
Old 29th March 2014
Quote:
Well a console is a console, so I figured why not? It's technically supposed to work but for me it didn't.
Agreed with you that a console is a console. Maybe it might work - perhaps if you begin a mix with it...

It's basically the only way to give the plugins in this category a fair chance.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
I do plenty of other work, but it happens that I had this track to mix so i figured I'd start with that. I will try it on other things though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Agreed with you that a console is a console. Maybe it might work - perhaps if you begin a mix with it...

Well, the thing is you may have to work harder in this case because it's too colored and its tone isn't gonna help either for this genre, that's all I was saying. I mix a lot of merengue, salsa, bachata, calipso, etc., etc., and Britson is not good for any of them, or at least I don't like how it works on them, tone-wise. Fortunately, we have tons of options nowadays and we can shape our mixes on different ways depending on the job and it's affordable to some degree, that's the beauty of ITB mixing.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut
Promoting the crosstalk seems interesting to me. Is that part of the flavor of the mixer?
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post

I am really sorry if I gave everyone the impression that I did NOT begin the mix with it..of course I did, I actually do know what I am doing. For me, personally, doesn't compare with other products.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Well, the thing is you may have to work harder in this case because it's too colored and its tone isn't gonna help either for this genre, that's all I was saying. I mix a lot of merengue, salsa, bachata, calipso, etc., etc., and Britson is not good for any of them, or at least I don't like how it works on them, tone-wise. Fortunately, we have tons of options nowadays and we can shape our mixes on different ways depending on the job and it's affordable to some degree, that's the beauty of ITB mixing.
See, colored I LIKE...I didn't feel the character with it as I do with the others...but I will give it a shot on more aggressive music as it comes up.

I think honestly, I look to change the sound of what I am given to a thicker more analog vibe. I get tracks that are very well recorded and sound fantastic, but they were recorded to PT, but through analog gear...what I miss is the "body" that I got from hitting tape off a physical board...so for me, no matter how well recorded it is, I add the "body" back in...VCC allows me to do that for my work flow. I still haven't heard that from Britson, but I will truly give it more chances.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Overall, Britson = a better sound than VCC on various material.

Add the ridiculous hype and ego inherent in VCC, and it would no doubt be incredible.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear
Anyone know if Satson will get some of the new features that Britson has?
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict
I think the FAT feature just makes things sound smaller. More imploded if you will..not fatter at all, but they mention this in the manual, which they should have called it something other than FAT. Honestly just not digging it, regrets…oh well.
Old 29th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Anyone know if Satson will get some of the new features that Britson has?
Hard to tell. There were a lot of people (myself included) suggesting Sonimus to "merge" Satson and Britson, so maybe they will answer that.

Quote:
Very true - but the tone thing is a given, at least I don't expect a "one size fits all" sort of thing.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think the FAT feature just makes things sound smaller. More imploded if you will..not fatter at all, but they mention this in the manual, which they should have called it something other than FAT. Honestly just not digging it, regrets…oh well.
It's an interesting knob for sure. I don't have Britson yet, but I'd guess the same concept is shared between the two.

On a nice signal (nice sound, whatever) it doesn't improve the sound, it adds some kind of masking distortion.

It can add something to a bland sound.

But what it does, it make things perceptually apparent on low end speakers, and that's always a compromise. You gotta choose when to use it.

It's confusing because I've noticed that I trend to change my mind over it between sessions, one day I like it, the next day, I'm not sure why I thought it, it's like this weird thing where my state of mind dictates whether I prefer it or not I guess it's that constant fight between louder or sweeter?

BTW I think this thread is generating very interesting and useful discussion
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear
Since Satin came up in this thread, I thnk it's another amazing plugin, and it's different honestly, but the difference is that these Satson/Britsons (and I hope Sonimus does a bunch of these for us to play with) are quick and easy, you get to know them quickly, you pull them up, do it, and leave.

Satin has so many controls, you're always left wondering if you could have done something better. In a way it has become a Pick a preset, love it or leave it, because getting in a fiddling 'under the hood' never ends. A little like DC8C in that you seriously need to know it intensely in order to be effective, but in the moment of heat, I like what these simple minimal knob devices do.
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
It's an interesting knob for sure. I don't have Britson yet, but I'd guess the same concept is shared between the two.

On a nice signal (nice sound, whatever) it doesn't improve the sound, it adds some kind of masking distortion.

It can add something to a bland sound.

But what it does, it make things perceptually apparent on low end speakers, and that's always a compromise. You gotta choose when to use it.

It's confusing because I've noticed that I trend to change my mind over it between sessions, one day I like it, the next day, I'm not sure why I thought it, it's like this weird thing where my state of mind dictates whether I prefer it or not I guess it's that constant fight between louder or sweeter?

BTW I think this thread is generating very interesting and useful discussion
You mentioned you didn't have it yet, but sounds like you have used it elsewhere is this correct?
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

How bout an official comment from Sonimus. Is Satson and Britson interchangeable?
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
You mentioned you didn't have it yet, but sounds like you have used it elsewhere is this correct?
I've only used Satson, so I'm kinda guessing that the FAT is of the same or similar iteration.

From what I've read, it seems Britson is a bit more edgy, and I'm not sure I'd need that. I like that Satson doesn't really 'talk' to me, on that level where I can actually characterize it. I've got NLS for that purpose
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I've only used Satson, so I'm kinda guessing that the FAT is of the same....
From what I've read and observed, it is the same basic ideas and principles... But for some reason I find FAT on the Britson more appealing. I have used it-granted only a few times-but already more than my years w Satson. Satson's FAT seemed to make things smaller (ironically). Britson they seem to move a bit forward but without being intrusive.

Had good luck with it on closed hats (Britson) and couldn't imagine Satson FAT for something that short and transient...

Last edited by David Ray; 31st March 2014 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 31st March 2014
Sonimus website down.... dang.

Also, +1 for AAX. Need SonEQ Pro and Satson in my pt 11 rig! I just got SonEQ Pro about 6 months ago and its absolutely essential to my mixing now.
Old 31st March 2014

Also, +1 for AAX. Need SonEQ Pro and Satson in my pt 11 rig! I just got SonEQ Pro about 6 months ago and its absolutely essential to my mixing now.
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post

Website is working OK here ...
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1thedon View Post
Website is working OK here ...
Weird, still not working on my end. This is the only website on my end that isn't loading, so I dont think its an error on my end. Very strange.

Anyone else?
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Nut

Working fine over here as well.
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by softska View Post
Working fine over here as well.
Mobile or Comp?

It seems to be working on my mobile, but only partially loads on my comp. Very strange.

Anyway, Ill get to the bottom of it. Very well might be on my end (my provider maybe).
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Addict

Joe, Site works OK on both PC (FF & Chrome) & my smartphone in UK
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1thedon View Post
Joe, Site works OK on both PC (FF & Chrome) & my smartphone in UK
Thank you very much for the details. Its acting very crazy on both safari and chrome on my imac. Not reaching server, not fully loading when it does.

It wont load on my ipad or iphone either, unless my iphone is disconnected to our wifi and using data, which indicates it either a network problem at my house or on the providers end. I assume providers end because all other sites are working perfectly.

Could also be a regional thing.

Very weird, anyway, I wont derail the thread any longer. Still wanting to pick up Britson, but Ill hold off until I know they are going to do AAX soon.
Old 31st March 2014
Site seems to be working for me now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search