The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 25th March 2014
  #541
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I mixed a song a few days ago with Britson and Satin and clients loved it. In fact, I received a lot of texts and calls about the sound but to be honest I wasn't pleased. The whole mix ended up having that crispy sound many people seem to like but I'm not too fond of it because I've always stirred away from that "vibe". It sounds too "neve-ish" for me. I know it sounds crazy but yeah, I'm a maniac when it comes to sound.

The thing is that since I bought Satin I've stopped using VCC because all consoles in it seem to ruin the sound I get from Satin (I'm used to having tape before hitting the console, just like tracking into it). Britson and Satson maintain the sound integrity much more so I'll probably keep bouncing back and forth between them and Nebula. I'll do more tests in the coming days because I wouldn't like to stop using VCC (it's been in 70% of my mixes since it came out), but so far: Britson for Master Track and the rest will be Satson.
I have been using VCC myself since it came out. Actually with the RC-Tube, then full version. Lately, I have been using the SSL channels, and the Neve master. i too, found that the Neve in VCC is a bit too much Neve...lol I also have used the NLS on a few mixes with good results, but it's a bit noisier than VCC. I am hoping that Britson can add something that VCC can't...

I haven't used Satin..it isn't PT friendly. I use VTM mostly for tape, and together with VCC Neve, is too muddy.
Old 25th March 2014
  #542
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
I have been using VCC myself since it came out. Actually with the RC-Tube, then full version. Lately, I have been using the SSL channels, and the Neve master. i too, found that the Neve in VCC is a bit too much Neve...lol I also have used the NLS on a few mixes with good results, but it's a bit noisier than VCC. I am hoping that Britson can add something that VCC can't...

I haven't used Satin..it isn't PT friendly. I use VTM mostly for tape, and together with VCC Neve, is too muddy.
That's unfortunate, I consider Satin one of the most groundbreaking plug-ins in the past 5 years. When I heard it I had the same feeling I had with Nebula, a big frikkin' "wow". All console emulations by Waves sound like FXs, not even close to those few pieces of gear I've used including consoles. In fact, the first console plug-in they released (NLS? Can't remember now), sounded so fake that it wasn't funny. Of course, this is all a matter of perception and what may work for me may not do the job for you but in my opinion the top players are Satson/Britson, VCC and Nebula, of course.
Old 25th March 2014
  #543
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's unfortunate, I consider Satin one of the most groundbreaking plug-ins in the past 5 years. When I heard it I had the same feeling I had with Nebula, a big frikkin' "wow". All console emulations by Waves sound like FXs, not even close to those few pieces of gear I've used including consoles. In fact, the first console plug-in they released (NLS? Can't remember now), sounded so fake that it wasn't funny. Of course, this is all a matter of perception and what may work for me may not do the job for you but in my opinion the top players are Satson/Britson, VCC and Nebula, of course.
I was bummed about not being to use Nebula too...Maybe they will make a PT compatible version. I endorse Nomad Factory so I have the magma, which I heard will work...

Can you give your insight to MFC and britson only? Now that you have used it a bit more...
Old 25th March 2014
  #544
Gear Guru
Anyone have an opinion on how Britson compares to Stripbus? Curious.
Old 25th March 2014
  #545
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
I was bummed about not being to use Nebula too...Maybe they will make a PT compatible version. I endorse Nomad Factory so I have the magma, which I heard will work...

Can you give your insight to MFC and britson only? Now that you have used it a bit more...
They're very different. Britson gives you that Neve sound of iron and a really vintage tone while MFC sounds like a piece of Neve gear but serviced, more neutral to the point you feel it blends with the sound, like if it was recorded with it, it becomes part of the sound. It has that tone too but way less which is why I prefer it over Britson but that's just me (my brother loves that and he doesn't like the MFC heh). It's really sad that people can't try it before purchasing but if someone is looking for that sound of iron then Britson is the ticket, in my opinion.
Old 25th March 2014
  #546
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
They're very different. Britson gives you that Neve sound of iron and a really vintage tone while MFC sounds like a piece of Neve gear but serviced, more neutral to the point you feel it blends with the sound, like if it was recorded with it, it becomes part of the sound. It has that tone too but way less which is why I prefer it over Britson but that's just me (my brother loves that and he doesn't like the MFC heh). It's really sad that people can't try it before purchasing but if someone is looking for that sound of iron then Britson is the ticket, in my opinion.
Sounds promising for Britson. My a/b test against VCC's Neve was that Britson sounded a bit thinner, but it was all default, no level matching and nothing was at zero. I wanted to see what the effect of both plugins was in their raw form, bypassing them as a group so I can a/b quickly.

You confirmed what i heard about MFC, that it's really close to an analog board..but again, too bad that it's not native to PT.
Old 26th March 2014
  #547
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
Sounds promising for Britson. My a/b test against VCC's Neve was that Britson sounded a bit thinner, but it was all default, no level matching and nothing was at zero. I wanted to see what the effect of both plugins was in their raw form, bypassing them as a group so I can a/b quickly.

You confirmed what i heard about MFC, that it's really close to an analog board..but again, too bad that it's not native to PT.
That's the feeling, thin. Now, if you start from scratch with it then it'll be a whole different story.

There are great things happening behind Nebula's doors, like OSX full support and many other goodies for PT users. It'll just need time for beta testing.
Old 26th March 2014
  #548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Anyone have an opinion on how Britson compares to Stripbus? Curious.
It doesn't really compare. Stripbus is way more complex and also more colored depending on the console you choose. If only Quinto could get those updates and bugfixes done...
Old 26th March 2014
  #549
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's the feeling, thin. Now, if you start from scratch with it then it'll be a whole different story.

There are great things happening behind Nebula's doors, like OSX full support and many other goodies for PT users. It'll just need time for beta testing.
I did a better a/b test and level matched the two snippets. I found the Slate to be darker, but more narrow, which is what I hated about that emulation, hence why I use the SSL for the channels and Neve only on the bus. The Britson is nice and wide but I see that by mixing into it, it would deliver some punch. it wasn't quite as pronounced on the low end, but it kept the width nicely, so at the very least, I am happy about that. Also, I can now fully create a closer 8014 model with the Scheps 73, whereas the 8048 from Slate used the 1081 pres. Now if Slate can only get the Helios model done, i can use my HLS too..lol

Interested to know more about Nebula when you have more time to beta. PM me if you have the time. Much appreciated.
Old 26th March 2014
  #550
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
It doesn't really compare. Stripbus is way more complex and also more colored depending on the console you choose. If only Quinto could get those updates and bugfixes done...
and AAX??..lol
Old 26th March 2014
  #551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
and AAX??..lol
Poor Quinto.
Old 26th March 2014
  #552
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Poor Quinto.
I know, and poor us PT users too..lol been waiting how long now?
Old 26th March 2014
  #553
Yeah, pity. The small guys are having a hard time with all these formats.
Old 26th March 2014
  #554
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's the feeling, thin. Now, if you start from scratch with it then it'll be a whole different story.

There are great things happening behind Nebula's doors, like OSX full support and many other goodies for PT users. It'll just need time for beta testing.
Hey Mercado,

I just tried Nebula about a week ago because there are a lot of people on GS that swear by it.
To be honest, I don't know how they got past the free version.
It took me about 20min to find out how to change the presets.
Once I did, the fader movements were not precise and changing the presets were cumbersome.
I would have to hear something mind blowing to spend money on that.
They need to bring it on their free version because, I have to say, it sucks bigtime.

I spent about 2 hours going through it, testing it, pushing it and barely hitting it.
The free version just doesn't compare to everything out there right now.

Hopefully they are working on the interface for that plugin.

k, back on topic...

Marc
Old 26th March 2014
  #555
Gear Nut
 
FFH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Poor Quinto.
Poor "me".
Old 26th March 2014
  #556
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey Mercado,

I just tried Nebula about a week ago because there are a lot of people on GS that swear by it.
To be honest, I don't know how they got past the free version.
It took me about 20min to find out how to change the presets.
Once I did, the fader movements were not precise and changing the presets were cumbersome.
I would have to hear something mind blowing to spend money on that.
They need to bring it on their free version because, I have to say, it sucks bigtime.

I spent about 2 hours going through it, testing it, pushing it and barely hitting it.
The free version just doesn't compare to everything out there right now.

Hopefully they are working on the interface for that plugin.

k, back on topic...

Marc
Indeed, the free version is a joke compared to the full version (Pro or Server). I really don't know how people can purchase it after dealing with it. The UI is also horrible (not the design but its controls), even on the Pro and Server versions but Acustica Audio team will improve that soon, AFAIK.

Sorry for the OT, gents. This will be all from me about Nebula. Please contact me via PM if you want to talk about it.

Now, how are people using Britson? Any tricks to share? :D
Old 26th March 2014
  #557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

Now, how are people using Britson? Any tricks to share? :D
Besides the usual "use to gainstage before everything else" I'm also using like a "summing mixer", where everything is processed before it hits the brits for an extra dose of color.

Also using it as a subtle distortion effect with the output compensation engaged.
Old 26th March 2014
  #558
Gear Addict
 
spurratic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Indeed, the free version is a joke compared to the full version (Pro or Server). I really don't know how people can purchase it after dealing with it. The UI is also horrible (not the design but its controls), even on the Pro and Server versions but Acustica Audio team will improve that soon, AFAIK.
I read somewhere that Nebula was considered the #1 best free plugin for audio, but all over the review it kept referring to how terrible the website is, how hard it is to install, how difficult to download, and how glitchy it is. But hey....it 'sounds' good.

Just goes to show that all that other stuff is important. I'd love a great sound but such a poorly managed plugin is a bad sign of things to come. Once I did download it and try it, it was so glitchy I never even got a chance to try it properly so I just deleted it.

Sorry Acustica! I'll give it another chance sometime if the overall experience is improved/

Last edited by spurratic; 26th March 2014 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 26th March 2014
  #559
Gear Guru
I use Mixbus that has a glitchy rap. honestly I like it a lot. I was asking about Stripbus because it does supposedly have a Neve emulation in Console A and SSL in Console B. I also have VCC RC Tube and SDRR. I agree with an earlier post that to me desk mode in SDRR would be overkill sonically and CPU is heavy. I use that and very light Decapitator in specific instances on a track or bus. I'd be curious to try the Sat or Brit-son since I've heard so much about them. Nebula seems to be a whole different animal and I mix on a laptop, so probably would blow it up! If anyone wants to sell Britson as a way of getting their some money back (for like $20-)interested to try. Down and dirty no license transfer, etc (if it's as simple as sending me the component file, etc). Interested in demoing it and you can pm me. I'm mac and AU only.

Last edited by ardis; 26th March 2014 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: info
Old 26th March 2014
  #560
Lives for gear
 
Agzilla's Avatar
 

Just revisited the Acustica site to try and DL the newer version of Nebula 3 as I bought it ages ago and thought i'd revisit after reading these comments...

But site gives errors on download page, says page has expired? As if their file hosting has timed out?

Is it improved at all? what version is the current Nebula 3 up to?


Zz.
Old 27th March 2014
  #561
Gear Addict
 

Bought it, love it. Actually I prefer it to VCC N.
Old 27th March 2014
  #562
Lives for gear
 
jbrown1music's Avatar
Great plugin. I have all the console emulations and tend to use vcc the most until now. The filters make this a step above. I can almost get the mix right on a song before i even bring out eqs with this baby. The mastering loud preset on the buss is a great as well. Wit that said this is easily worth the money
Old 27th March 2014
  #563
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

It's definitely getting used and it's flavour is becoming familiar, it's another great tool in the arsenal.
Old 28th March 2014
  #564


Not sure if this has already been posted, if so sorry for the dupe, but here is a nice video walkthrough of Britson that was posted a few days ago.
Old 28th March 2014
  #565
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 

Yeah this was posted before but its actually a very good example
Old 28th March 2014
  #566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
Yeah this was posted before but its actually a very good example
Cool tune too, makes me want a sandwich!. I know its just YouTube and all that... but based on the example I heard, I think this plug is a winner. Also, not that it matters to the sound, but I like the UI too. Many plugins are dark and hard to see, which makes my brain work harder than needed. This one is "well lit", the metering looks cool too, and the needle ballistics look very responsive. I am on the edge of buying it. Funny thing is that between the Klanghelm stuff and Sonimus stuff... I can really blow a lot of $ even though it is cheap... the low price makes you go into a frenzy almost and buy all of it, which can actually add up quickly... Glad we have these affordable options.
Old 28th March 2014
  #567
Gear Guru
Hey add Hornet Toneboosters Vahalla and SKnote, etc. to the mix and it does get pricey! But what great options......Death of a thousand cuts.... (or ATM withdrawls!)
Old 29th March 2014
  #568
Gear Addict
I think this plugin really needs the right material to work with. I tried it on a Latin Salsa track I am mixing, and it's a world off from VCC. Just not thick enough, and I gain stage pretty good...been doing this a while. Wondering if anyone who is on the fence about taking the plunge because there isn't a demo wants to contribute anything we can work something out...I want to get rid if it altogether. PM me.
Old 29th March 2014
  #569
Gear Addict
I want to edit: Basically, not that it's bad...It just doesn't seem to play nice with my other go to EQs and comps color wise that is.
Old 29th March 2014
  #570
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
I want to edit: Basically, not that it's bad...It just doesn't seem to play nice with my other go to EQs and comps color wise that is.

have you used it on any rock music with distorted guitars?
my style of music almost always has distorted guitars in it and so im hoping to hear how it sounds with this music. the satson naturally blends with my music and i love it.
to my ears it has alot to do with the style of music you are recording in terms of what sounds good with what.
whats the primary difference you hear between britson and the vcc neve sound?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump