The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
RTAS. You think that has something to do with it?
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
RTAS. You think that has something to do with it?
Don't know but my experience is based on AU only.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Don't know but my experience is based on AU only.
How is your hit with AU on 20 plus tracks, And what computer are you using? Thanks.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
How is your hit with AU on 20 plus tracks, And what computer are you using? Thanks.
I need guidance on how to measure the cpu hit in Logic please.
I loaded 20 tracks with Britson plus one on the stereo buss.

IStats showed about 3% for Logic but who knows if that is accurate.
The CPU load Meter in Logic showed nothing at all.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Unfortunately, I am not that skilled in Logic. I never use it, even though I have Logic pro, it is purely for transfer purposes...but maybe someone else can chime in? Thanks.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

take a reference ..put 20 insatnces of another plugins like NLS or VCC ...this will give an idea for people around ..
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
take a reference ..put 20 insatnces of another plugins like NLS or VCC ...this will give an idea for people around ..
Still doesn't explain to Beatworld how the process works to check CPU hits in Logic.
Old 25th March 2014
Can all britson instances be bypassed at once from one instance of the plugin?
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
No and that is probably the feature I miss most in Satson and Britson.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Was wondering a similar issue...can they be linked so that when you make a change on one they all change? Just got it today and still taking it for a spin.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Damn that really sucks. Hate to bring it up, but VCC and NLS don't have that issue. Why on earth would you not include a master group option? With track counts as high as they are today, does Sonimus really expect us to go into each instance and make the same change?
Old 25th March 2014
VCC, while great, has given me endless hassles in cubase (mac) and I'm still waiting for the fix, so Britson is going to be replacing it for now. It's a fairly pronounced effect, not as subtle as VCC but I'm liking it so far. I do miss the grouping functions, thought I'd ask before pulling the trigger and then went ahead anyway

Here's a quick test I did on a WIP, original mix, mix with britson applied without any gain staging, and then the mix gainstaged as per the manual. I am seeing that the db values on britson's fader are not equal to the db values on the cubase fader, so this is something to consider when inserting britson into a project that's in progress, not a worry if starting from scratch though, will take some measurements to see exactly what the discrepancy is.
Attached Files
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quick test I did on a WIP, original mix, mix with britson applied without any gain staging, and then the mix gainstaged as per the manual.
I have a problem accepting what the Britson manual says about first levelling ALL TRACKS to 0VU. Some sources are ludicrously loud at 0VU.

It may not be "correct" but, the way I use Satson/Britson as the first insert is to attenuate signals which are too loud. That is the case about 90% of the time, with the remaining 10% being increasing the level of really quiet sources.

The point is that I try and make sure nothing is going over 0VU with 0 calibrated to -18db. But I don't try and make sure EVERY track is peaking at 0VU in Satson/Britson.

YMMV
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
VCC, while great, has given me endless hassles in cubase (mac) and I'm still waiting for the fix, so Britson is going to be replacing it for now. It's a fairly pronounced effect, not as subtle as VCC but I'm liking it so far. I do miss the grouping functions, thought I'd ask before pulling the trigger and then went ahead anyway

Here's a quick test I did on a WIP, original mix, mix with britson applied without any gain staging, and then the mix gainstaged as per the manual. I am seeing that the db values on britson's fader are not equal to the db values on the cubase fader, so this is something to consider when inserting britson into a project that's in progress, not a worry if starting from scratch though, will take some measurements to see exactly what the discrepancy is.

yes you can clearly hear what the britson is doing, and on this example i do not like it. it does give more depth to the sound,but at the same time there is a high end aspect to it that i find overwhelmed.
I think it is only the style of music its used on because earlier i heard a sample that sounds so nice to my ears. almost perfect. i think i would prefer the sound of britson with rock or heavy rock, but this is usually how i feel for all analog style plugins. i would like to hear the vcc used on these samples. what do you find different between britson and vcc?
Old 25th March 2014
Quote:
I have a problem accepting what the Britson manual says about first levelling ALL TRACKS to 0VU. Some sources are ludicrously loud at 0VU.

It may not be "correct" but, the way I use Satson/Britson as the first insert is to attenuate signals which are too loud. That is the case about 90% of the time, with the remaining 10% being increasing the level of really quiet sources.

The point is that I try and make sure nothing is going over 0VU with 0 calibrated to -18db. But I don't try and make sure EVERY track is peaking at 0VU in Satson/Britson.

YMMV
Thought I'd give it a go as recommended by the plugin maker, I found that if I boosted a signal in britson by say, 10db to reach 0VU, and then attenuated the cubase fader by -10db, the resulting output actually has a lower volume, not sure why this is…
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thought I'd give it a go as recommended by the plugin maker, …
For sure, I understand why you would follow the manual.
Hope you understand I wasn't having a go at you at all.
Just used your post to trigger my own concerns about the manual.
Old 25th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungu View Post
yes you can clearly hear what the britson is doing, and on this example i do not like it. it does give more depth to the sound,but at the same time there is a high end aspect to it that i find overwhelmed.
I think it is only the style of music its used on because earlier i heard a sample that sounds so nice to my ears. almost perfect. i think i would prefer the sound of britson with rock or heavy rock, but this is usually how i feel for all analog style plugins. i would like to hear the vcc used on these samples. what do you find different between britson and vcc?
That's pretty much what I feel about my examples, I like the depth but not the high freq sheen added by britson. I guess it'll take some experimentation to find where to use it. Having only used it a short while all I can say for sure is it's a more obvious/pronounced effect when compared to VCC - I don't have a favourite this early on!
Old 25th March 2014
Quote:
For sure, I understand why you would follow the manual.
Hope you understand I wasn't having a go at you at all.
Just used your post to trigger my own concerns about the manual.
Yes, didn't think you were, no worries
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn that really sucks. Hate to bring it up, but VCC and NLS don't have that issue. Why on earth would you not include a master group option? With track counts as high as they are today, does Sonimus really expect us to go into each instance and make the same change?
Be glad you've never had to do that on a real console.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Be glad you've never had to do that on a real console.
Why would you assume that I did not? I have been doing this a while, and still to this day, work on physical consoles when I can.

But to be more descriptive, with a physical console, I can see the entire board and move about quickly...Using a mouse versus my fingers to tweak endless channels sucks and is very time consuming.

I am not sure exactly how you meant that post, but I will leave it at that.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why would you assume that I did not? I have been doing this a while, and still to this day, work on physical consoles when I can.

But to be more descriptive, with a physical console, I can see the entire board and move about quickly...Using a mouse versus my fingers to tweak endless channels sucks and is very time consuming.

I am not sure exactly how you meant that post, but I will leave it at that.
Yeah, you took that completely wrong but let's leave it at that indeed.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Then what did you mean? Please elaborate. To me was pretty clear what you assumed, so just drop it then.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Head

I really really like Britson. A lot. I've noticed it is a bit bright on some sources where I don't want it Ex. Bass/Cymbals aside from that I looove that it makes my snare & kick more in you're face. I simply leave Satson on the cymbals and bass to keep the "3D" effect if you wan't to call it that. Don't care ooooone bit for VCC or Ilok. NLS ain't at good as VCC but if anyone here has ever had an ilok heck even slates Free one and lost it...You know Exactly why you don't want to have an Ilok. Your mixes are on hold while you go off and pay a good chunk of change for a glorified usb. No thank you I'll stick to Less CPU with satsons quality plugins.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then what did you mean? Please elaborate. To me was pretty clear what you assumed, so just drop it then.
It was meant to be a joke, relax. Like "imagine if we had that power on those analog consoles". I can't assume stuff I don't know about and on Internet, less. I guess most people are too used to be attacked on posts nowadays and just take it like that if someone doesn't use a smiley at the end.
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

In this example I like better the version without Britson, kind of the drums cut through a little too much to my ears with Britson. and I don't know if other Britson owners will agree with me but it seems that no matter the source Britson makes mixes sound with more separation between tracks, kind of what sonic maximizer would do in a master buss if applied in a very subtle way.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
It was meant to be a joke, relax. Like "imagine if we had that power on those analog consoles". I can't assume stuff I don't know about and on Internet, less. I guess most people are too used to be attacked on posts nowadays and just take it like that if someone doesn't use a smiley at the end.
I understand. Sorry for my crudeness. Hard to judge intention through text, I have similar issues...and yes, woulda been great to have that...I can remember the oxford and Capricorn digital consoles to have that capability.

So what are your thoughts on this Britson? I am not 100% sold on it yet, but I will be mixing over the next day or so and will give it go.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand. Sorry for my crudeness. Hard to judge intention through text, I have similar issues...and yes, woulda been great to have that...I can remember the oxford and Capricorn digital consoles to have that capability.

So what are your thoughts on this Britson? I am not 100% sold on it yet, but I will be mixing over the next day or so and will give it go.
I mixed a song a few days ago with Britson and Satin and clients loved it. In fact, I received a lot of texts and calls about the sound but to be honest I wasn't pleased. The whole mix ended up having that crispy sound many people seem to like but I'm not too fond of it because I've always stirred away from that "vibe". It sounds too "neve-ish" for me. I know it sounds crazy but yeah, I'm a maniac when it comes to sound.

The thing is that since I bought Satin I've stopped using VCC because all consoles in it seem to ruin the sound I get from Satin (I'm used to having tape before hitting the console, just like tracking into it). Britson and Satson maintain the sound integrity much more so I'll probably keep bouncing back and forth between them and Nebula. I'll do more tests in the coming days because I wouldn't like to stop using VCC (it's been in 70% of my mixes since it came out), but so far: Britson for Master Track and the rest will be Satson.
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

I did a video on Youtube using Britson in French & English.

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wuffYaX3vY

Français: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g7RLPX_R60

Thanks !
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MeShow View Post
I did a video on Youtube using Britson in French & English.

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wuffYaX3vY

Français: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g7RLPX_R60

Thanks !
Bravo
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco View Post
Bravo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search