The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

Plug-in Order

Hi.

I wonder if anyone could tell me if I am using Satsun/Britson correctly. Im using logic.

Channels: Plugin Order from Top:

1. Gain Plugin to get audio to -18db
2. Satsun/Britson - should I be aiming for 0 on the meters?
3. Compressor or other Plugin

Master Buss

1. Satsun/Britson - Again, 0 on the meters?
2. Limiter

Many thanks,
Tony
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymead View Post
I wonder if anyone could tell me if I am using Satsun/Britson correctly. Im using logic.

Channels: Plugin Order from Top:

1. Gain Plugin to get audio to -18db
2. Satsun/Britson - should I be aiming for 0 on the meters?
3. Compressor or other Plugin

Master Buss

1. Satsun/Britson - Again, 0 on the meters?
2. Limiter

Many thanks,
Tony
With the channels I don't think you need the gain plugin before Satson/Britson.
Use either of them to gain stage.

On the other hand a gain plugin might be handy on the master buss before either of them because you you can't control the gain with the buss versions.

So basically have them first, subject to any gain plugin.

You have a limiter next in your master buss example.

If you use any compression or eq put them between Satson/Britson and the limiter last.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

Cool, thanks Beatworld. So I would just use the Sat/Brit channel plugin to control the gain. I'll try this later..

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
With the channels I don't think you need the gain plugin before Satson/Britson.
Use either of them to gain stage.

On the other hand a gain plugin might be handy on the master buss before either of them because you you can't control the gain with the buss versions.

So basically have them first, subject to any gain plugin.

You have a limiter next in your master buss example.

If you use any compression or eq put them between Satson/Britson and the limiter last.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't understand the people talking about the CPU hit on VCC. I throw it on every channel and bus with 40-60 tracks per session and not once was hindered by it.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

The extra CPU with VCC is probably due to Pace protection. Having all of those instances constantly calling out for checks must add something for processor usage.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
The extra CPU with VCC is probably due to Pace protection. Have all of those instances constant calling out for checks must add something for processor usage.
But what I'm saying is VCC is not CPU intensive whatsoever at least on my computer.
Old 24th March 2014
The last session (32channels) in my mac pro (w3520 4 x 2,66ghz)(16gb ddr3) with vcc in every channel and in the master had eaten only 11%.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
To all those just slapping Britson on to every channel and bus of their existing mixes. And then being disappointed (or thinking it doesn't sound as good as so & so). I don't think you're using this plugin correctly.

You actually have to mix 'into' a plugin like this. That is you have to start with this plugin very early on in the mix and base all your mixing decisions on this plugin to get the best out of it. It's like working with a console. Unlike some of the myths out there, you can't just run your song through a real console and expect it to mix itself magically. You will still need to engage those EQs and faders to get the best out of it. As far I'm concerned the complaints of harshness in upper frequencies is a non issue.
Old 24th March 2014
Here for the gear

This is fragment of a Remix I've been working on, work in progress yet but I found that Britson gave me that 'analogue touch' that was missing without it. I put Britson in all channels and the Master Buss except drums cause they sound a little bit too bright with it.
Attached Files

Someone Like You_BritsonOff.mp3 (1.22 MB, 467 views)

Someone Like You_Britson.mp3 (1.22 MB, 463 views)

Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I don't understand the people talking about the CPU hit on VCC. I throw it on every channel and bus with 40-60 tracks per session and not once was hindered by it.
If I am working on the studio's 2009 8 core power Mac, then sure, I NEVER have any issues...but on my 2009 iMac that's just a duo core, I can get about 30-40 tracks too, but then adding reverbs and CPU hog EQs, then toss in a VTM here and there, and it's mayhem...

The new iMacs that are quad core i5/7s or even a new Mac Mini wouldn't be much of an issue either. Especially running PT 11...but I am still on PT 10 and I feel that once I switch to 11, i will see better performance from the iMac, but moving to Mavericks is scary.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
To all those just slapping Britson on to every channel and bus of their existing mixes. And then being disappointed (or thinking it doesn't sound as good as so & so). I don't think you're using this plugin correctly.

You actually have to mix 'into' a plugin like this. That is you have to start with this plugin very early on in the mix and base all your mixing decisions on this plugin to get the best out of it. It's like working with a console. Unlike some of the myths out there, you can't just run your song through a real console and expect it to mix itself magically. You will still need to engage those EQs and faders to get the best out of it. As far I'm concerned the complaints of harshness in upper frequencies is a non issue.
Big +1!
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeAudioGear View Post
This is fragment of a Remix I've been working on, work in progress yet but I found that Britson gave me that 'analogue touch' that was missing without it. I put Britson in all channels and the Master Buss except drums cause they sound a little bit too bright with it.

this example is my favorite so far. it sounds amazing to my ears the difference. the britson version has a soft touch over the sound but its so much of a difference. simliar to how satson is but just a totally different flavor in the sound. im about to get this.

Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Indeed, I feel that the song comes alive with Britson on, with both clarity and a nice warmth.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Great Tune!
Old 24th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungu View Post
this example is my favorite so far. it sounds amazing to my ears the difference. the britson version has a soft touch over the sound but its so much of a difference. simliar to how satson is but just a totally different flavor in the sound. im about to get this.

I agree with you, the Britson version sounds more polished even though I didn't touch any eq or compressor whatsoever.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Question for Sonimus owners. So I bought the Britson, and install is just a matter of copying the plugins to my folder. So if I wanted to bring it to another studio to mix out of, do I bring a COPY of the plugins, or do they have to be the originals out of my folder?
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

a copy will do just fine
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Thanks.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Ok, I just installed Bristson. I opened a song roughly 25 tracks, could be more and low and behold the CPU hit was MORE than VCC??? Seriously seriously disappointed. Exactly WHY I wanted a demo first. It's at least 5% more hit total compared to VCC...Can this be? I mean really, all I heard about low CPU hits, but what can be causing this spike? There were NO other plugins on the session...Exactly the same, blank canvas.

I am on a 2009 iMac 3.06 duo core Intel. If it's not something that can be explained, then I am selling it immediately.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
Ok, I just installed Bristson. I opened a song roughly 25 tracks, could be more and low and behold the CPU hit was MORE than VCC??? Seriously seriously disappointed. Exactly WHY I wanted a demo first. It's at least 5% more hit total compared to VCC...Can this be? I mean really, all I heard about low CPU hits, but what can be causing this spike? There were NO other plugins on the session...Exactly the same, blank canvas.

I am on a 2009 iMac 3.06 duo core Intel. If it's not something that can be explained, then I am selling it immediately.
Oh my god! 5%! "seriously disappointed". Wow. What kind of world are we living in where this is such a huge deal? If such a small amount of CPU load is such an issue for you, I might suggest a computer newer than 5 years old.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Oh my god! 5%! What kind of world are we living in where this is such a huge deal? If such a small amount of CPU load is such an issue for you, I might suggest a computer newer than 5 years old.
Dude, don't need the sarcasm. The point is that 5% on 25 Tracks becomes 10% or more with large mix sessions. The computer I have is not of your concern nor an issue at hand. The issue, if you have been reading the thread, is that people have been saying how much lower it is than VCC in CPU usage, when in fact it appears to be more. <DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seriously seriously disappointed. It's at least 5% more hit total compared to VCC...
5%?
Which one sounds better? which is more convenient to work with?
A.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
It is hard to judge since I haven't mixed with the Britson yet. I am used to VCC for years now...but which is better is not what I am after...I want a lower hit on my CPU, this main reason I bought it, not just for a different flavor.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Just to be clear before others chime in about the measly 5% increase. The gripe is that it is MORE CPU intensive than VCC when everyone here claims that it's less or that it is great on CPU resources...in my case it's not. It's not a complaint that it's 5% more, it's that it IS more.

So I was wondering if anyone else who has both, can run a similar test to see if it's my system or if that's the true consensus of the hit.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurratic View Post
In reaper I show less than 0.5% change in cpu usage when adding britson on all channels. (16 channels). So I'd say thats pretty sweet. Running Macbook Pro I7

here is someone who says there was just only an increase of 0.5% after 16 tracks of britson.

id also like to know if there are others with both vcc and britson who get a lower cpu with the britson,and if so how much.

and what about the sound between those two? is the vcc neve similiar to the britson and in what way?
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post

Well said

G
Old 24th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
When the On light is on the saturation is on.
I think the manual is a bit confusing, lost in translation.
They did the same with Satson and I brought that to their attention as they cleared that up to me.

I think, when the light is on, the Saturation is ON.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I was wondering if anyone else who has both, can run a similar test to see if it's my system or if that's the true consensus of the hit.
Have a look at post #28 in this thread.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Have a look at post #28 in this thread.
I actually remember seeing that post..I have been trying to follow from the start...missed it. Then I got caught up by others saying that it was better on CPU than VCC. And got caught up. Also, the test has them as even usage, mine is more, but I guess it depends on the computer.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the test has them as even usage, mine is more, but I guess it depends on the computer.
What format are you using, AU,VST or RTAS?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search