The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Any chance you could post graphs for harmonic distortion on buss versions of Slate Brit 4k and RC-Tube to compare to Britson?

Cheers
Ok, here you go:

Brit 4k

RC-Tube
Old 23rd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
The Britson version has a lot more depth.
Yeah I guess it does, definitely brighter and there is some thing added in the low end, kick seems heavier. As i said still undecided, need to use it more. It was only after a good while of using Satson on many different projects that I got a proper feel for what it does. Its definitely subtle as is Satson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Kick is a tad louder on the Britson version - but the loop sounds cool.
Yeah sorry as I said they are not exactly level matched.

Old 23rd March 2014
Here for the gear

Guys, please, "Static Characteristic" measurment with medium and aggressive saturation? Non-availability demo make me cry :(
Old 23rd March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
It seems unfortunate because I am so close to jumping on board, but still hesitant. Will need more convincing as well...
Since you don't already have Satson IIRC, I think either Satson or Britson is worth it. Each comes with a nice VU meter, trim knob/fader, exceptional filters, and pleasant saturation. They're perfect plugins for the first insert.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Ok, here you go:

Brit 4k

RC-Tube
You need to sweep the sine wave - only then can you (truly) see if the harmonics are aliasing or not, as well as other "strange" things that might be happening. Not saying this isn't a viable and valuable test, but it doesn't show everything.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Lamont View Post
Since you don't already have Satson IIRC, I think either Satson or Britson is worth it. Each comes with a nice VU meter, trim knob/fader, exceptional filters, and pleasant saturation. They're perfect plugins for the first insert.
I guess, but the feature set seems slim compared to VCC. I need the calibration per group, beyond the input knob...There is also group automation in VCC..

I don't have any Sonimus products, can anyone elaborate that has both VCC and Britson, as to the feature comparisons? That may help in my decision..since there is no demo, I can't really do this myself.

Thanks for the help.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I think there IS a demo of VCC?

Also one direct comparison is the PRICE...

Personally I prefer VCC to Satson... Haven't tried Britson yet... not sure reading these reviews...

But tbh the effectiveness of any of these 'console' emus is not make or break for a good mix in reality..

Having said that I liked the Trident emu in the VCC so much I bought a Trident Console.... Haven't used the Trident emu since though.. but the Neve or API setting through my Trident for true analogue summing is a great combo!!!

Zz.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I guess, but the feature set seems slim compared to VCC. I need the calibration per group, beyond the input knob...There is also group automation in VCC..

I don't have any Sonimus products, can anyone elaborate that has both VCC and Britson, as to the feature comparisons? That may help in my decision..since there is no demo, I can't really do this myself.

Thanks for the help.
VCC has several flavors, but they all sound too artificial to my ears. I ended mixing against VCC, instead of with it. That's why I sold it (and don't regret it at all).

Britson sounds pretty good IMHO, but not as subtle as most here seem to imply. And it has a stronger color than Satson in my opinion.

As with all those "mixing" saturators, I get much more convincing and satisfying results by not driving it, barely kissing VU meter's 0. I leave "Fat" off 99,99% of the time. Oh, and while I loved Satson's Vintage Crosstalk, I prefer Britson's Modern one.

The filters are nice and musical (as in Satson), very gentle curves, and I like how Britson sounds when filtering pré-saturation stage.

FWIW, I've used/demoed/owned all console emus but NLS and Nebula. Klanghelm SDRR, Britson and Airwindows Console2/Desk3 are my fav ones.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungu View Post
i can only speak for the satson. but it is very easy on cpu. ive been putting it on every track and the master track and i really dont notice much difference at all in cpu. i would guess the britson is cpu friendly also.
i mainly do heavy rock music, and for my sound the satson for sure gets a nice vibe. after comparing with and without its not a hard decision for me to leave it on. it simplifies my mixing.
im waiting to hear a few more clips of britson before i get it.
In reaper I show less than 0.5% change in cpu usage when adding britson on all channels. (16 channels). So I'd say thats pretty sweet. Running Macbook Pro I7
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Ok, here you go:
Thanks very much.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't have any Sonimus products, can anyone elaborate that has both VCC and Britson, as to the feature comparisons?
VCC has many more features than Britson (and Satson). But in some ways that is why I moved towards Satson.

Britson and Satson are simple to use because there are less options.

I think the meters in Satson and Britson are more accurate than VCC.

They don't have grouping like VCC but, while grouping is cool if you want to mix and match VCC consoles, it can be a little distracting and you can waste time.
If you want to mix and match and be able to set different over sampling options for live and render go VCC. Ultimately I don't think you really get all that much benefit from using over sampling with VCC.

As they have a much bigger gain range I think Britson and Satson are better for gain staging than VCC. You can calibrate the meters in Satson and Britson.

If you have them all you can mix and match. The mix I'm working on now has Satson and Britson only on channels and RC-Tube on the stereo buss and I'm really happy with the results.

Decisions decisions

Cheers
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Lol...decisions it indeed. I see the point in having different options. I come from the analog world and remember large consoles...no plugin is gonna be perfect, but as with all boards, it's a matter of character. The VCC adds a certain character, especially if you drive it a bit..not the input, I meant using the drive knob. All analog consoles were different too, even similar models, so it doesn't really matter much to me if it's an exact replica of a board, as long as it adds the mojo.

A question about the Britson filters....are they modeled from the NEVE or are they generic Sonimu filters...cause if they were real NEVE filters, then that would be really cool.

Well, looks like I am torn...Kramer HLS is on sale...I got the Scheps 73, so not dying for another EQ....will decide something by tonight...lol thanks for the replies.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
A question about the Britson filters....are they modeled from the NEVE or are they generic Sonimu filters...cause if they were real NEVE filters, then that would be really cool.

Well, looks like I am torn...Kramer HLS is on sale...I got the Scheps 73, so not dying for another EQ...
TBH I have no idea what the Sonimus filters are modelled on but they sound good to me.

I've also got the Kramer and the Scheps

I love having options and to me plugins are a cheap way to create options.
Old 24th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Well, to those who say the VCC doesn't compare is either crazy or their studio does not sound right.
VCC holds up against Satson and Britson.
The new Britson is good but not close to the VCC using the Neve for color and Saturation.
Some people will like the extreme subtle character as I'm sure I will on some things too but, on Pop/R&B/Rock, I'm going VCC.
I can't wait til they have the lower CPU option.
Anyway, I like Satson and Britson and they have their place,
I will use it.

Thx,

Marc

Last edited by M2E; 24th March 2014 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: doesn't to does
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Well, to those who say the VCC doesn't compare is either crazy or their studio doesn't not sound right.
VCC holds up against Satson and Britson.
The new Britson is good but not close to the VCC using the Neve for color and Saturation.
Some people will like the extreme subtle character as I'm sure I will on some things too but, on Pop/R&B/Rock, I'm going VCC.
I can't wait til they have the lower CPU option.
Anyway, I like Satson and Britson and they have their place,
I will use it.

Thx,

Marc
There in lies the issue..I like VCC very much, but can't use it on larger sessions because of the consumption. So if Britson gets me there for now, until Slate gets the CPU under control, then I may be able to justify the purchase.

As for the color of the Neves...I think that at times, the VCC Neve is a bit too narrow...I actually use the SSL on the channels and then the Neve on the master bus...it gives it a nice fatness and still keeps it wide enough, especially for rock.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
TBH I have no idea what the Sonimus filters are modelled on but they sound good to me.

I've also got the Kramer and the Scheps

I love having options and to me plugins are a cheap way to create options.
It's cool about the filters, just thought that they would have modeled the Neve, to keep it a "true" emulation. I may wait on the Kramer then..actually not a big fan of his work...lol I know it's not really his, but nonetheless...
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
There in lies the issue..I like VCC very much, but can't use it on larger sessions because of the consumption. So if Britson gets me there for now, until Slate gets the CPU under control, then I may be able to justify the purchase.
I know there are some who disagree but, I think Britson/Satson are no brainers at $39, particularly for the work flow benefits they offer me.
They are so much easier to set up (and you get the filters) and the CPU consumption is absolutely negligible.

Not dissing VCC at all, I've used it on albums and loved the results. I think that VCC buss (as opposed to channel) offers the most bang for buck saturation and crosstalk wise when driven.
Brit 4k is my favourite but also like RC-Tube on the stereo buss.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how using Satson/Britson on channels with VCC on the stereo buss works, nice combo.
Best of both worlds.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Interesting...
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

So how bout that flip phase button...
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
I mentioned that I had the Scheps 73 EQ, and while I use the VCC Neve, paired with the 73, wasn't spectacular. I come to think about it and the 8048, which is what Slate used as a model had 1081 pres...I know it's silly, thinking, but it didn't match well. I actually liked the SSL paired with the 73 better to create a custom console. However, I now have made up my mind, being that the 8014, which the Britson is modeled after, actually used 1073s...so I am hoping that with the lower CPU hit, I can use both to create my virtual console.

Having said that...I now think that comparing VCC to the Britson in terms of sound is unfair, as they are two different desks...different circuits. I believe the 8014 came first.
Old 24th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:

As for the color of the Neves...I think that at times, the VCC Neve is a bit too narrow...I actually use the SSL on the channels and then the Neve on the master bus...it gives it a nice fatness and still keeps it wide enough, especially for rock.
I agree. That's why we are in the same boat together when it comes to VCC. CPU usage is not there. Britson makes this a reality. If only you could get some more goodness out of it.
I think the Britson sounds good. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just doesn't give me that console feeling over 30x tracks were VCC does.
NLS does it to a degree as well. I love the color on those but, the VCC SSL and NEVE is my go to for now.

Well see if Sonimus has an update for this plugin that may give you a little more saturation/slight channel compression etc. Don't know what it's missing but, I'm sure they will figure it out.

JusMyThought...

Marc
Old 24th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mentioned that I had the Scheps 73 EQ, and while I use the VCC Neve, paired with the 73, wasn't spectacular. I come to think about it and the 8048, which is what Slate used as a model had 1081 pres...I know it's silly, thinking, but it didn't match well. I actually liked the SSL paired with the 73 better to create a custom console. However, I now have made up my mind, being that the 8014, which the Britson is modeled after, actually used 1073s...so I am hoping that with the lower CPU hit, I can use both to create my virtual console.

Having said that...I now think that comparing VCC to the Britson in terms of sound is unfair, as they are two different desks...different circuits. I believe the 8014 came first.
I agree totally! Not only in what you said but again, they both have a different color that is nice and subtle as consoles are.
When you layout your track on a huge console, you don't get this magical AHHHHH, because it's on an SSL/Neve/API etc console but, after using and pushing and using the board eq and/or compressor and maybe mic pre's (Neve-1073) it's all subtle but together it's a massive sound.
So, using just the Britson or VCC or NLS and Satson is not going to give you that, "ahhh, I'm using a console" until you get more into it, then take it away and you'll see how important it really is.

These are great moments we are living in.

Keep the good times rolling...

Marc
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Right...start a mix, then disable the insert and it's a huge difference. But as some pointed out too, you gotta be able to put the VCC! NLS, or Sonimus stuff on every channel to get the true effect, but with the CPU limitations of VCC, it's hard. I think I am gonna give the Britson a shot.

To address the saturation...some feel Britson can have more, but I feel that it's so hard to really judge how much saturation the original 8014 had to really make that assessment. The 8048, which is from the VCC model, may have just been different.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Right...start a mix, then disable the insert and it's a huge difference. But as some pointed out too, you gotta be able to put the VCC! NLS, or Sonimus stuff on every channel to get the true effect, but with the CPU limitations of VCC, it's hard. I think I am gonna give the Britson a shot.

To address the saturation...some feel Britson can have more, but I feel that it's so hard to really judge how much saturation the original 8014 had to really make that assessment. The 8048, which is from the VCC model, may have just been different.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
I also got a question for Britson users....I read that they recommend using the default mode, as this is what was modeled, but I see in the picture that the FAT button is highlighted. Then I read that the ON button means the saturation is OFF, according to the manual...can this be correct? Is this why people are getting confused because when it's highlighted it's actually OFF? I got this from their site, there is a manual link. Said ON: saturation disabled. Please help.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
Switch the Output compensation on, add 32dB with Britson's fader then toggle the On button : you'll easily get how it behaves, when it´s bypassed and when it´s not.

About VCC : I've read somewhere here on GS that´s Slate plugins exagerate their "analogueness" (at least, what most find appealing in the gear they emulate). I think it's pretty spot-on. I'm not saying VCC isn't a good plugin, but to me it always sounded too FXey and damn far from being subtle. Obviously I haven't spent as much time with Britson yet as I had with VCC beforevselling it, but I can't help finding Britson more convincing because of its relative transparency and subtility. IMHO it blends with source better. Once again, I'm not a huge fan of obvious saturation, so YMMV.
Old 24th March 2014
TZk
Gear Maniac

I've stopped using VCC since I didn't get a response that made me feel "ok they will fix it" regarding their Neve bug.
Whenever I use the Neve setting, after every region there is a click.
Only useable with one piece regions, not chopped up. And if you have some reverb tail at the end... see that those regions won't stop before the reverb ends, also here a click.

First they didn't hear about this bug and suddenly it was on their list for some time, but will be fixed when porting everything to the new mainframe.
Now 8 months ago.

I know I forgot to mention: "Hey Slate I've got this most amazing bug clicking like the best clicker in digital history"
I stopped using all their "most amazing" plugins.

Satson and britson, I'm happy with those and their support.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see in the picture that the FAT button is highlighted. Then I read that the ON button means the saturation is OFF, according to the manual...can this be correct? Is this why people are getting confused because when it's highlighted it's actually OFF? I got this from their site, there is a manual link.
When the On light is on the saturation is on.
I think the manual is a bit confusing, lost in translation.
Old 24th March 2014
Gee
Lives for gear

I've gotten a few mixes under my belt with Britson and honestly Im super pleased with the results (clients have been happy as well although they dont care about any of this stuff! it just has to sound good).

anyways like some have pointed out, all of these types of plugins have their uses but Im happy with the purchase
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
When the On light is on the saturation is on.
I think the manual is a bit confusing, lost in translation.
That is what makes most sense...thought it was weird to list it that way. Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search