The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I have to say that I'm liking Britson more and more. I remember when I initially got VCC. I though it was amazing. It made me curious to finally try Nebula Pro with console programs and after that I stopped using VCC. After using both Nebula with MLC and Satson every so often, I realized that Satson does such an amazing job of replicating true console sound just like Nebula with MLC to the point of asking myself why I'm even using Nebula anymore... Anyway, I think Britson gives the mix a nice finished "vintage" creaminess. I just love how simple and elegant Sonimus' products are.
Completely agree. SonEq is another one. If you ignore the fact that you are using a plugin, the sound coming out of the speakers is analogous to that of a pristine analogue eq.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
The choices we have are really sweet though, gotta admit.

I still love NLS. Once I learned those fake VU meters, it improved... but it can still sound good pinned as well. I don't like driving it into another Waves plugin with drive, and you do have to be careful of that since they like to slap hiss and drive on every damn thing.

I hate formulas, I don't need to use NLS on every channel, nor do I need an all Satson mixer. I did like that idea of trying desk mode on a few channels though, but isn't that running CPU up a lot?
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on the new VCC emulation...they're way too invested on other things to get back at that.
(completely off topic, but patience has it's limit) Will we ever see a mac 64 bit version of fg-x...
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict
@Sparquee and Dimmy:

You both have valid points..especially the NEVE analogy..no one in their right mind back then or today would ever say, that a NEVE isn't gonna sound good unless you hit the meters right. Honestly, meters are more important if you're doing post or level specific mixes, otherwise, truly, if it sounds good, it is.

I have yet to use Nebula...will give it a try someday...how is it with PT?
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post

I have yet to use Nebula...will give it a try someday...how is it with PT?
Just like with everything, an horrific nightmare.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict
Damn..figured...lol
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
@Sparquee and Dimmy:

You both have valid points..especially the NEVE analogy..no one in their right mind back then or today would ever say, that a NEVE isn't gonna sound good unless you hit the meters right.
I dunno, if you hit all the inputs of a neve console at +15 you're probably not going to get the results you are looking for. This may seem like an extreme example but this is essentially what many people do with these "emulation" plugins. (Again, not trying to point fingers at anyone but I've seen this happen time and again) Also, while I fully acknowledge that there is no right or wrong way to do things, I was always taught to be mindful of levels and meters in the analogue domain because it can and does make a large difference in the sound. Gain staging has always been king and that is certainly true with consoles. Anyways, sorry if this is veering off topic.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by essessbe View Post
I dunno, if you hit all the inputs of a neve console at +15 you're probably not going to get the results you are looking for. This may seem like an extreme example but this is essentially what many people do with these "emulation" plugins. (Again, not trying to point fingers at anyone but I've seen this happen time and again) Also, while I fully acknowledge that there is no right or wrong way to do things, I was always taught to be mindful of levels and meters in the analogue domain because it can and does make a large difference in the sound. Gain staging has always been king and that is certainly true with consoles. Anyways, sorry if this is veering off topic.
Well I would hope that hitting the meters that hard would be an audible mess...lol seems like it would be obvious, but I know there are plenty of amateurs that are using these tools incorrectly...giving them a bad name as well.

Gain staging was more valid going to tape...especially on fast transient items, hi hats, snares...etc...but sometimes hitting red on the desk meters is good...but I know what you mean...I come from the analog world as well.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

I purchased Britson on Tuesday when it was released and I must say it's a great tool for setting up a good base for a mix. I'm always learning...(everyone is), but I never thought much about trim in my DAW, he'll, I used to just normalize every track at one time. I've always focused on proper gain staging with hardware.

I've used it as advertised, inserting the Britson Channel on each track and setting the trim, then using the Britson buss on the master and groups.

Selecting or de selecting the 'fat' button gives a very subtle change in saturation that is only really audible at high volume monitoring but when added to something like a bass guitar or kick....it's more noticeable what it is doing.

The vintage vs modern crosstalk options are also a subtle but pleasing effect .

The high and low pass on each channel are super useful and easy. I know it's not rocket science....I could just add an Eq plug and forget it. It's more of a convenience thing.

If this was an expensive plug.....I wouldn't say it is an overwhelming necessity. But for $39 us I'm very happy and I think it's a tool that simply reminds me to think more like I used to when mixing on a desk.

There's also likely some placebo going on, but hey.....I can agree that setting gain staging on a VU is way diff than an led. I focus on the median level more in a vu and focus less on the peak value. On a vu I can't stop obsessing over the top value and so again, that's another area wher this plug helps my workflow.

Last edited by spurratic; 22nd March 2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurratic View Post
I purchased Britson on Tuesday when it was released and I must say it's a great tool for setting up a good base for a mix. I'm always learning...(everyone is), but I never thought much about trim in my DAW, he'll, I used to just normalize every track at one time. I've always focused on proper gain staging with hardware.

I've used it as advertised, inserting the Britson Channel on each track and setting the trim, then using the Britson buss on the master and groups.

Selecting or de selecting the 'fat' button gives a very subtle change in saturation that is only really audible at high volume monitoring but when added to something like a bass guitar or kick....it's more noticeable what it is doing.

The vintage vs modern crosstalk options are also a subtle but pleasing effect .

The high and low pass on each channel are super useful and easy. I know it's not rocket science....I could just add an Eq plug and forget it. It's more of a convenience thing.

If this was an expensive plug.....I wouldn't say it is an overwhelming necessity. But for $39 us I'm very happy and I think it's a tool that simply reminds me to think more like I used to when mixing on a desk.

There's also likely some placebo going on, but hey.....I can agree that setting gain staging on a VU is way diff than an led. I focus on the median level more in a vu and focus less on the peak value. On a vu I can't stop obsessing over the top value and so again, that's another area wher this plug helps my workflow.
ha this seems like an accurate view, reminds me of my Satson workflow. Everything you said is relevant to me. I'll add about that FAT... yes at high volume monitoring, but also if you've got some good quality open headphones, you can get a sense of it at low volumes as well. It helps imo to decide whether to just turn it off to not. It's interesting because it is very situation dependent.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Someone asked me to post graphs here:
Any chance you could post graphs for harmonic distortion on buss versions of Slate Brit 4k and RC-Tube to compare to Britson?

Cheers
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Any chance you could post graphs for harmonic distortion on buss versions of Slate Brit 4k and RC-Tube to compare to Britson?

Cheers
Sure, I'll have to download the 32bit version of VCC, though. Please send me a PM tomorrow so I can remember (I'm on my phone atm).
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, I'll have to download the 32bit version of VCC, though. Please send me a PM tomorrow so I can remember (I'm on my phone atm).
Ok will do, thanks.
When you say tomorrow, it is Sunday here ...
Old 23rd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
ha this seems like an accurate view, reminds me of my Satson workflow. Everything you said is relevant to me. I'll add about that FAT... yes at high volume monitoring, but also if you've got some good quality open headphones, you can get a sense of it at low volumes as well. It helps imo to decide whether to just turn it off to not. It's interesting because it is very situation dependent.
Agreed. FAT is IMHO more usable on the Britson than on Satson - a bit more noticeable too and like you said its very dependent on the situation. Sometimes it really nails it.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict
Has anyone thought that you are paying almost $40 for ONE emulation, and on sale, the VCC gives you 5 for $99...so Britson is nearly twice as expensive. slate also has ONE emulation for sale at about $49 but you also get an ilok2 which is about that price anyway...

Would anyone here pay $40 for each emulation if Slate sold them separately?
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
Has anyone thought that you are paying almost $40 for ONE emulation, and on sale, the VCC gives you 5 for $99...so Britson is nearly twice as expensive. slate also has ONE emulation for sale at about $49 but you also get an ilok2 which is about that price anyway...

i think many people including myself do not want ilok. i use a laptop and just dont want that sticking out. also the cpu issue is a major factor. so many people claim to have issues running vcc or vtm on comps that are more equipped that mine, so it makes me not want to chance it. i dont even like having plugins with a large gui because its just taking up unnecessary viewing space.
i myself only have satson, which i love, and it does almost nothing in terms of cpu. i put it on about every track and im thinking about getting the britson because i bet its the same as satson other than the different flavor in sound.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict
True about CPU...I have an older iMac 2009, powerful for the most part, but lately withe the new breed of power hungry plugins, I can only use the VCC and VTM here and there...If the britson is that good on CPU, then I may need to give it a shot, although from the news I hear, Slate's planning a new addition to the VCC as well as making it less CPU intensive...hope that's true. Anyway, I am sure that Slate modeled a completely different model of NEVE so it's like having a few NEVE desks to choose from..lol

I haven't tried Satson, but I am not a huge fan of SSLs.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict
Just wish there was a damn demo version of the Britson and Satson...is it that hard to implement?
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
True about CPU...I have an older iMac 2009, powerful for the most part, but lately withe the new breed of power hungry plugins, I can only use the VCC and VTM here and there...If the britson is that good on CPU, then I may need to give it a shot, although from the news I hear, Slate's planning a new addition to the VCC as well as making it less CPU intensive...hope that's true. Anyway, I am sure that Slate modeled a completely different model of NEVE so it's like having a few NEVE desks to choose from..lol

I haven't tried Satson, but I am not a huge fan of SSLs.
i can only speak for the satson. but it is very easy on cpu. ive been putting it on every track and the master track and i really dont notice much difference at all in cpu. i would guess the britson is cpu friendly also.
i mainly do heavy rock music, and for my sound the satson for sure gets a nice vibe. after comparing with and without its not a hard decision for me to leave it on. it simplifies my mixing.
im waiting to hear a few more clips of britson before i get it.
Old 23rd March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

Yeah, I wish there were a discount for Satson owners.

Most of Satson's value for me comes from improved workflow (i.e., convenient trim, meters, and filters), so even though I like how Britson sounds, I'm not sure I can justify paying $40.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Someone asked me to post graphs here:
Any chance you could add graphs for Britson Modern Crosstalk?
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has anyone thought that you are paying almost $40 for ONE emulation, and on sale, the VCC gives you 5 for $99...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Lamont View Post
Yeah, I wish there were a discount for Satson owners.
Most of Satson's value for me comes from improved workflow (i.e., convenient trim, meters, and filters), so even though I like how Britson sounds, I'm not sure I can justify paying $40.
Yep, same thoughts here. The retraction of the pre-announced discount for Satson owners & the to me not convincing audio examples led me to not purchasing it.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict
It seems unfortunate because I am so close to jumping on board, but still hesitant. Will need more convincing as well...
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungu View Post
i think many people including myself do not want ilok. i use a laptop and just dont want that sticking out. also the cpu issue is a major factor. so many people claim to have issues running vcc or vtm on comps that are more equipped that mine, so it makes me not want to chance it. i dont even like having plugins with a large gui because its just taking up unnecessary viewing space.
i myself only have satson, which i love, and it does almost nothing in terms of cpu. i put it on about every track and im thinking about getting the britson because i bet its the same as satson other than the different flavor in sound.
These are exactly my thoughts too, except I also think Sonimus' offerings sound better. Overall they are just more elegant, from purchasing and how your plugin is personalized upon download, to the UI and usage. I don't want 5 console emulations anyway, and you don't have a choice but to buy all 5.
Old 23rd March 2014
I've only tried it on one track so far. Not sure what to make of it yet need to test it some more, it definitely brightens things up a lot more than Satson did.

Below is a simple example of it on some electronic music, its a 'real world' example so the one with Britson is using the filters and has a few db here and there of saturation on certain sounds. They are not exactly level matched sorry. Its a simple track only about 8 audio channels total. Britson Channel on all 8 audio tracks and Britson Buss on the master set to default.

I think I like the filters more then Satson generally. Not sure about the saturation yet.

Attached Files

Sizer.mp3 (2.06 MB, 612 views)

Sizer Britson.mp3 (2.06 MB, 635 views)

Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

The Britson version has a lot more depth.
Old 23rd March 2014
Kick is a tad louder on the Britson version - but the loop sounds cool.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
Any chance you could add graphs for Britson Modern Crosstalk?
IIRC I didn't post them because it's identical to vintage.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

You can't really compare because the britson come with awesome lp and hp filter.

Here's some example between VCC brit n and britson with totally overdriven drum with the new kush audio pusher (which i absolutely love by the way)
To my ear's sominus britson sound more clean and define but i guess it's a matter of taste
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

VCC vs Britson, A matter of taste?
Attached Files

Britson.mp3 (582.1 KB, 987 views)

Britson fat setting.mp3 (582.1 KB, 783 views)

VCC brit n.mp3 (582.1 KB, 742 views)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search