The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

I heard back from Soniumus about their refund policy: they don't do them at all. So, let's see - they don't offer demos. They expect someone to pay to try a plugin, without comeback if it doesn't work for them.

Needless to say I won't be making any more enquiries with Sonimus, or their software. Caveat Emptor.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilla View Post
I heard back from Soniumus about their refund policy: they don't do them at all. So, let's see - they don't offer demos. They expect someone to pay to try a plugin, without comeback if it doesn't work for them.

Needless to say I won't be making any more enquiries with Sonimus, or their software. Caveat Emptor.
It is frustrating. I guess it depends on which developer it is. I don't like Klanghelm's products at all and went through the same thing with SDRR, but love all of Sonimus' products. I ended up selling SDRR. I've seen a few people sell Sonimus products in the KVR marketplace, so maybe you could take that route. I doubt it would be difficult to sell your license, even for $5 off.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
It is frustrating. I guess it depends on which developer it is. I don't like Klanghelm's products at all and went through the same thing with SDRR, but love all of Sonimus' products. I ended up selling SDRR. I've seen a few people sell Sonimus products in the KVR marketplace, so maybe you could take that route. I doubt it would be difficult to sell your license, even for $5 off.
Thanks for this, it's appreciated. At this point, though, I wouldn't want to be bothered with transfer of licenses and all that, for the sake of $30-$35.

It's just a lesson learned and perhaps something we should all consider before making a purchase.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's just a lesson learned and perhaps something we should all consider before making a purchase.
That's what the vast majority always do...
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

I just purchased this as well, but had no time to play with it yet.
But I read in another thread that the filters could do wonders.

I will look into that this weekend.

Now, lets move on.

G
Old 20th March 2014
Did an impulse buy and did not regret it. I own and use slate vcc and waves nls mainly, sometimes satson. Compared britson with waves nls nevo style on a whole mix (tracks and busses) and britson truly ruled. More transparent and tight without being less coloured, more musical definitely. I was very suprised. Have to compare with vcc neve soon.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Did an impulse buy and did not regret it. I own and use slate vcc and waves nls mainly, sometimes satson. Compared britson with waves nls nevo style on a whole mix (tracks and busses) and britson truly ruled. More transparent and tight without being less coloured, more musical definitely. I was very suprised. Have to compare with vcc neve soon.
I also did an impulse buy and so far so good just another color on the pallete. I also used it for tracking vocals ( in logic aux) and I like how it turned out, it gives it a nice color in my sterile mic pre.
Old 21st March 2014
Did a quick test and I for one really like the results when you push it, I don't find it harsh at all, really nice and tight lows. Guess it depends on the source: I track into a burl b2 adc (yes I have nebula and I love it).

/Jon
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Not sure how they could offer a refund on a digital product? You would still have the downloaded product on your system. A demo version is probably the answer.
I am tempted by this I must say. I have Klanghelm's SDRR which I also like.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

No demo, no refund?
No way.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Nut

Wow....I am really taken off guard (although oddly, not surprised) by the intensely negative reactions here. I purchased this when it first came out and do not regret it one bit. No, not because it instantly elevated my mixes into glorious pro-level status but because it is an excellent tool, just like vcc, sdrr, and NLS are excellent tools. I really must say that if you are using any of these *properly and are getting poor results it is either the wrong tool for the job or an operator error, especially with a tool as subtle as this (if used properly).

With that said I have to admit that for gain staging I still find Waves Durrough to reign supreme, even when it comes to gain staging into the Britson Buss.
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by essessbe View Post
Wow....I am really taken off guard (although oddly, not surprised) by the intensely negative reactions here. I purchased this when it first came out and do not regret it one bit. No, not because it instantly elevated my mixes into glorious pro-level status but because it is an excellent tool, just like vcc, sdrr, and NLS are excellent tools. I really must say that if you are using any of these *properly and are getting poor results it is either the wrong tool for the job or an operator error, especially with a tool as subtle as this (if used properly).

With that said I have to admit that for gain staging I still find Waves Durrough to reign supreme, even when it comes to gain staging into the Britson Buss.
What levels are you hitting Britson with?
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

@essessbe: I know you don't mean me (as I wasn't intensely negative about it), but I'm one not satisfied with the buy. Not because it was giving me actually poor results, but because it wasn't adding anything to the overall sound that I crave or couldn't achieve in other ways. It felt like the sound was losing a tad dimension instead of the opposite. Maybe I was hallucinating on that particular day, and I do have planned to give it another few hours of testing whenever time allows, just because I want to like what Sonimus does.

There's no need to accuse negative reviewers of incompetence. Some just don't care for what it does. And it can't be the wrong tool for the job, it emulates a desk channel! And I don't see a way to operate it erroneously either. Except if you're a squirrel maybe.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
@essessbe:

There's no need to accuse negative reviewers of incompetence. Some just don't care for what it does. And it can't be the wrong tool for the job, it emulates a desk channel! And I don't see a way to operate it erroneously either. Except if you're a squirrel maybe.
It's a color box. Some people will simply not like this particular color very much, which underlines exactly why a demo is such an important thing.

But there are situations where this tool sounds great, and where gain stagning plays part as well as the other tweaking options. It will not be great if you just slap it on everything. But use it skillfully in the context of the mix and the sounds, and it can be a beauty.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Nut

You are right dimmy, I shouldn't accuse people I don't know of incompetence, its just all very strange to me.(oh, and I wasn't directing that at you) I guess first of all I've been hitting the buss at -18 according to the durrough meter and the results have been generally subtle and pleasing. I forget what that level translates into if reading off of the Britson VUs but its considerably lower than 18.

Last month I mixed a folk-country album that relied heavily upon the sdrr living on the master buss in stage three tube mode. It was perfect for the material and the entire project would not have been the same without it. That does not mean that I think that setting is perfect for all material nor would I even try using it in most cases, but in that particular case it was the perfect tool and does not make it better or worse than NLS, Satson, etc. I too find NLS to be a bit over the top, but that doesn't mean I think its a bad tool, that just means that I have to take the time to learn when, where, and how to use it, which I have and it has been great in certain instances. All that I'm getting at is that none of these are better or worse, just different.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
It's a color box. Some people will simply not like this particular color very much, which underlines exactly why a demo is such an important thing.

But there are situations where this tool sounds great, and where gain stagning plays part as well as the other tweaking options. It will not be great if you just slap it on everything. But use it skillfully in the context of the mix and the sounds, and it can be a beauty.
You have to admit though that it actually SHOULD add something great if simply inserted on everything. Especially with all the gain already staged nicely. That's the promise of plugins like these. Not "use it here and there with great skill (what skill exactly, adjusting the gain knob to taste or according to the meter?) where it subjectively fits and suits". Instead it promises: "this is a Neve console". Or is there a chance I don't like the sound of Neve? I have never in my life used anything Neve, so I just don't know.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by essessbe View Post
You are right dimmy, I shouldn't accuse people I don't know of incompetence, its just all very strange to me.(oh, and I wasn't directing that at you) I guess first of all I've been hitting the buss at -18 according to the durrough meter and the results have been generally subtle and pleasing. I forget what that level translates into if reading off of the Britson VUs but its considerably lower than 18.
That's already a bit of a problem to me. The idea that there is an unknown sweetspot to a plugin instead of it just doing the lovely things it promises, no matter wether driven to red heat or used subtly.

Quote:
Last month I mixed a folk-country album that relied heavily upon the sdrr living on the master buss in stage three tube mode. It was perfect for the material and the entire project would not have been the same without it. That does not mean that I think that setting is perfect for all material nor would I even try using it in most cases, but in that particular case it was the perfect tool and does not make it better or worse than NLS, Satson, etc. I too find NLS to be a bit over the top, but that doesn't mean I think its a bad tool, that just means that I have to take the time to learn when, where, and how to use it, which I have and it has been great in certain instances. All that I'm getting at is that none of these are better or worse, just different.
There is a chance that the flavor it offers just isn't for me, agreed! I like IVGI and in parts SDRR. Sometimes. But there we go again.. "in parts" and "sometimes". I've reached a point where I'd argue that we might as well all not use any of these plugins and end up perfectly happy with the sound. Outlandish. It's just too much fun to place weird hopes on 'em and buying and trying out new stuff.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's already a bit of a problem to me. The idea that there is an unknown sweetspot to a plugin instead of it just doing the lovely things it promises, no matter wether driven to red heat or used subtly.

There is a sweetspot on everything, plugin or hardware...
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco View Post
There is a sweetspot on everything, plugin or hardware...
Not the point.. he said -18 on the dorrough meter reads differently on Britson's Buss VU. Translates to: even trusting the meter on that thing might equal handling it 'wrong'. The concern seems ludicrous: Am I REEEALLY hitting the sweetspot of my digitally emulated mix bus. Or am I missing it by 2 db?

Imagine the same scenario if you were the potential buyer of an actual Neve desk.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Not the point.. he said -18 on the dorrough meter reads differently on Britson's Buss VU. Translates to: even trusting the meter on that thing might equal handling it 'wrong'. The concern seems ludicrous: Am I REEEALLY hitting the sweetspot of my digitally emulated mix bus. Or am I missing it by 2 db?

Imagine the same scenario if you were the potential buyer of an actual Neve desk.
If you use your ears, all those meters don't mater in finding the sweet spot..it's where ever it sounds best to YOU personally. Same with on an analog desk, whether it be a NEVE, SSL, or whatever...meters are sometimes debilitating...
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
If you use your ears, all those meters don't mater in finding the sweet spot..it's where ever it sounds best to YOU personally. Same with on an analog desk, whether it be a NEVE, SSL, or whatever...meters are sometimes debilitating...
I'm big on mixing with my ears but it's also important to be able to trust your tools. For example, if you use Nebula then you know how important *precise* gain staging is. I'll double check Britson against a couple of my favorite meters and report back.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
I know about sweetspots. It's a subjective thing. All I meant to say is that the "are you hitting it right?"-question won't help my problem with this purchase after testing it out for a while. And others might feel the same about it. It's just a recurring argument thrown at critics from people who LIKE the purchase, à la "you're doing it wrong". I can't imagine a Neve lover saying the same thing to somebody who doesn't like Neve desks (if there is such a person), "dude, you just got to really hit its buss at the sweetspot, else it's not as awesome.. oh, and use a different meter" or anything of the likes. And not talking DRIVING the things either, since we're talking about a -18 db readout on a dorrough meter. To then do this very suggestion in the case of an algo plugin seems pretty crazy.

And that it's more likely a case of not liking this particular plugin's flavor.

@sparqee: I had a look and comparison with Klanghelms VU, they were in sync.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, I just checked the Britson meter against the Blue Cat Meter and the Waves Dorrough meter and they all matched.

I really like the range of tone I can get from Britson. I like the filters and the meter is accurate. Britson gets my stamp of approval as an accurate and useful tool. I'm starting the think it may replace Satson in my default mix template.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

No one is talking about the great filter? personally i don't care at all about the metering section, i move the fader until it sound good to my ears. That taker 3 secondes...
Can't wait to test this plugin against the mysterious 6 vcc console emulation when it come out...
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't wait to test this plugin against the mysterious 6 vcc console emulation when it come out...

LOL....

Me either... me either.... That's funny...

Zz.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one is talking about the great filter? personally i don't care at all about the metering section, i move the fader until it sound good to my ears. That taker 3 secondes...
The filters are great just like Satson. I suppose we all expected that which is why no one is talking about it. As for metering; when you're working totally ITB at 24bits then you can certainly be pretty cavalier about metering (unless you're working with Nebula which often times spikes my meters or even kills other plugins when you hit it too hard). If you're using hardware inserts and want to hit a certain sweet spot then an accurate meter can speed things right along. I really like having a good VU meter at the top of my channel and the DAW peak meter at the bottom. That's just me.

As for VCC I think I'll probably continue my current practice of Satson/Britson on the channels and VCC on the bus. There's just something about that combination that feels good to me. I suppose I'm skeptical that the new VCC emu will be a "game changer" for me.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I have to say that I'm liking Britson more and more. I remember when I initially got VCC. I though it was amazing. It made me curious to finally try Nebula Pro with console programs and after that I stopped using VCC. After using both Nebula with MLC and Satson every so often, I realized that Satson does such an amazing job of replicating true console sound just like Nebula with MLC to the point of asking myself why I'm even using Nebula anymore... Anyway, I think Britson gives the mix a nice finished "vintage" creaminess. I just love how simple and elegant Sonimus' products are.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I have to say that I'm liking Britson more and more. I remember when I initially got VCC. I though it was amazing. It made me curious to finally try Nebula Pro with console programs and after that I stopped using VCC. After using both Nebula with MLC and Satson every so often, I realized that Satson does such an amazing job of replicating true console sound just like Nebula with MLC to the point of asking myself why I'm even using Nebula anymore... Anyway, I think Britson gives the mix a nice finished "vintage" creaminess. I just love how simple and elegant Sonimus' products are.
Indeed. I use VCC in 80% of my work just because it gets me there faster and it's easier and funnier for me to work with it, the workflow of algo plug-ins is atractive and great for busssiness (when budget is a issue for clients, which is pretty much a constant nowadays, at least here). Now, the rest is mixed using Nebula and just because I have time to work with it and the client demands optimal results (or at least the best we can do with it). At the end of the day, it's the indian, not the arrow.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I also requested the same thing - unify Brit/Sat under a single plugin....so let's get more people on board and perhaps it will happen.
That would (at least marginally) increase the load time, I would have thought? Not ideal, but perhaps not such a big deal, considering the already minimal resource-hit. Either way, this plugin really does sound excellent - well done Sonimus!
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
I suppose I'm skeptical that the new VCC emu will be a "game changer" for me.
I wouldn't hold my breath on the new VCC emulation...they're way too invested on other things to get back at that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search