The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Actually, "desk" mode was my favorite of what SDRR has to offer, but overall I just think everything about it sounds like plastic.

Put an instance of SDRR on all your channels and busses and enjoy that nasty buildup that sounds nothing like a console.
So whats your favorite Console saturation emu?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Who's interested in a blind test?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
So whats your favorite Console saturation emu?
Satson.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Satson.
Interesting, so you really like the subtle effect. And Lets hear this blind test.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting, so you really like the subtle effect. And Lets hear this blind test.
Well, I don't actually consider Satson subtle. I don't have a blind test ready, but will put one together.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Just to get back to the topic of Britson for a second, it is seriously great on kick and bass! For this purpose alone it is well worth the price.

Other plugins can be used for the high frequency content if you don't like what it's doing up there, you don't have to put it on every channel. But for the low end elements it sounds fantastic. After taking the time to learn it's applications I'm a very satisfied Britson customer.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Well, they don't do refunds. It's not an expensive plugin, but to not have a refund policy, especially when one can't demo the thing... if it was Airwindows or Audio Damage, I'm sure it would be a different story (based on my dealings with them).

Life's too short, though. I'll move on. As you were.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilla View Post
Well, they don't do refunds. It's not an expensive plugin, but to not have a refund policy, especially when one can't demo the thing... if it was Airwindows or Audio Damage, I'm sure it would be a different story (based on my dealings with them).

Life's too short, though. I'll move on. As you were.
I did PM you if interested.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, they don't do refunds.
That sucks indeed, especially since they don't have a demo. Pity to see an otherwise good company offer such bad service. I hope you can at least sell the license.

Bought Britson yesterday and am also not thrilled. After all the hype of the beta-testers I thought it would be a no-brainer, but turns out it's not. As to analog feel and added depth it doesn't seem to do better than Satson.
I was actually looking forward to a Neve-emulation since I am after that open and brighter sound (where Satson is more on the darker side), but Britson adds a bit too much brittle. Bummer.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Blind tests are fun , go ahead .
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

I'm guessing that the people who are not truly happy with the britson are people who already own the satson? if so, maybe i could understand the reserved about it. (i guess the difference between the 2 may be too subtle for another 40$ purchase )But personally, it kick out vcc out of my session. I'm loving this plugin. As far as Nebula goes... I've never been able to make it work on my Imac i7 3.4 ghz 8core... It's great to have good sound, but i'll tale ease of use over nigthmarish workflow any time, no matter how great it sound.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
As to analog feel and added depth it doesn't seem to do better than Satson.
I was actually looking forward to a Neve-emulation since I am after that open and brighter sound (where Satson is more on the darker side), but Britson adds a bit too much brittle. Bummer.
Neve = more open and brighter than ssl?! Satson (ssl type emu) being on the darker side?! *whaaaaaaaaaaat*
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
*whaaaaaaaaaaat*
oops, other way round, I meant
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
Neve = more open and brighter than ssl?! Satson (ssl type emu) being on the darker side?! *whaaaaaaaaaaat*
My thoughts exactly.
Old 19th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Not that anybody cares but, I think the plugin is ok.
Not a stand out. I actually like Satson better but I honestly think this plugin could use more board saturation when pushed.
I think the VCC does do that well. You can really tell when you have a lot of tracks and that saturation builds up, it just sounds nice.
I do love the output compensation! That is a great feature on both Satson and Britson and I wish they had that on the VCC and NLS.
The 2x is also a great feature. Kudos
I really like the GUI. It's different.
The sound is very close to Satson. I think they need a more defined sound as both the SSL and NEVE sound nothing alike which makes them stand out in their own way.

JusMyThoughts...

Marc
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco View Post
I'm guessing that the people who are not truly happy with the britson are people who already own the satson? if so, maybe i could understand the reserved about it. (i guess the difference between the 2 may be too subtle for another 40$ purchase )But personally, it kick out vcc out of my session. I'm loving this plugin. As far as Nebula goes... I've never been able to make it work on my Imac i7 3.4 ghz 8core... It's great to have good sound, but i'll tale ease of use over nigthmarish workflow any time, no matter how great it sound.
Nope. No Satson, no Nebula. Britson was the first one I bought. It's not my sound.
Old 19th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

By the way, when you move a fader or knob by increments, it doesn't show you how much in the db readout unless you first move the fader then hold cmd on MAC OSX.
If you hold cmd first and then try to move it a fader/knob, it does move but doesn't give you the db readout. Maybe a bug.

Marc...
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasserSpitzer View Post
Blind tests are fun , go ahead .
Here we have a shootout which includes an AlexB Nebula console vs Sonimus' Britson & Satson Consoles. Lets see who can figure out which is which in a blind test.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...on-satson.html
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here we have a shootout which includes an AlexB Nebula console vs Sonimus' Britson & Satson Consoles. Lets see who can figure out which is which in a blind test.

I thought you'd sold Nebula
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I thought you'd sold Nebula
I did, someone else did the processing for that version.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nope. No Satson, no Nebula. Britson was the first one I bought. It's not my sound.
It's ok, if we had all the same taste, the world would be a boring place
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco View Post
It's ok, if we had all the same taste, the world would be a boring place
But we ALL love Neve....right?
Old 20th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
But we ALL love Neve....right?
But it's Sonimus, not Neve
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
But it's Sonimus, not Neve
I think it is an extremely sophisticated endeavour to replicate such an incredible complex piece of art like an actual Neve console.

First you need years and years of (listening and working) experience on a real Neve console.

Secondly you need access to an actual Neve console for month and month to come in order to get somewhere in the ballpark of an actual emulation/replication which costs A LOT of money.
It's necessary to go DEEPLY into the schematics and circuits of the board in order to provide a somewhat realistic emulation.

Thirdly the best coders and technicians are necessary to bring all these thousands of little snippets of information to life.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting to see how many people say MFC blows Sonimus out of the water (I think you're just a bunch of Nebula fanboys ((Nothing wrong with that))) The only part where MFC really out performed (barely) was the horns. Other than that I would say Britson and Satson both held there own. And the differences were so minimal between Satson and Britson I don't think I will be purchasing Britson anymore, at least not for full price.
It probably depends on "how you hear" things. To me the difference was not at all subtle.. it's massive.

ALL the other examples, except the two nebula ones, felt "less real". I can't describe it in any other way. The funny thing is, even the mix without any effects sounds "less real" than the nebula examples, especially the MFC which just seems to have an added dimension and depth to it (all hype words with little meaning, I know.. but these things I can not explain properly or why they happen).

If you can't hear this then you can't.. not my fault. If you want to call me a fanboy for that then so be it. That's your right (does make you look like a ****** though, even if you say "nothing wrong with that").

Old 20th March 2014
SEB
Lives for gear

Good hearing! Then I`ll guess it will be no problem telling us what is what in djanthonyw`s ab-test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
It probably depends on "how you hear" things. To me the difference was not at all subtle.. it's massive.

ALL the other examples, except the two nebula ones, felt "less real". I can't describe it in any other way. The funny thing is, even the mix without any effects sounds "less real" than the nebula examples, especially the MFC which just seems to have an added dimension and depth to it (all hype words with little meaning, I know.. but these things I can not explain properly or why they happen).

If you can't hear this then you can't.. not my fault. If you want to call me a fanboy for that then so be it. That's your right (does make you look like a ****** though, even if you say "nothing wrong with that").

Old 20th March 2014
Quote:

Thank you for doing this!
Old 20th March 2014
Here for the gear

Impulse buy... Guilty _ but so far so good ... Strapped Britson channel and buss across my mix that Satson occupied..I decided to leave Satson on a few tracks and the result is pleasing to my Ear..Cause We all know listening is a subjective experience and depending on the mixer and sonic quality of the source material the results may vary from Daw to Daw and user to user...Just put a decent Tape machine on your mix buss to tame any digital harshness and you will hear how rich and smooth Britson can be..I think combining it with Satson is a good idea if you want to blend the 2 flavors..it certainly didnt kill my mix ..Master Loudness preset sounds Very Tasty to me...

Can Somebody upload a Hard Rock Mix using Britson ? mines not quite done yet..
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Someone asked me to post graphs here:

Britson Channel Harmonic Distortion:
Fat Off

Fat On

Britson Channel Frequency Response
Fat Off

Fat On

Britson Buss harmonic Distortion
Fat Off

Fat On

Britson Buss Frequency Response
Default Flat
Fat Off

Fat On

Master Loudness
Fat Off

Fat On

Master Bright
Fat Off

Fat On
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

I`ll be back later this evening with my input .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search