The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 19th March 2014
  #331
Gear Addict
 
Barilla's Avatar
 

I have to say that after several hours mixing with Britson, I've found it not to my own taste. I'm getting a papery quality going on that is taking away the vibrant quality of the source sounds. It's a shame, as I was looking forward to mixing with it. As it is, I've emailed Sonimus to ask for a refund, as I'm just not going to use this plug. Hopefully they'll honour the refund and do the right thing.
Old 19th March 2014
  #332
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
Interesting to see how many people say MFC blows Sonimus out of the water (I think you're just a bunch of Nebula fanboys ((Nothing wrong with that))) The only part where MFC really out performed (barely) was the horns. Other than that I would say Britson and Satson both held there own. And the differences were so minimal between Satson and Britson I don't think I will be purchasing Britson anymore, at least not for full price.
Hmm "fanboys"? I don't even own Nebula, due to the workflow, but it does sound a lot more real to me.
Old 19th March 2014
  #333
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilla View Post
I have to say that after several hours mixing with Britson, I've found it not to my own taste. I'm getting a papery quality going on that is taking away the vibrant quality of the source sounds. It's a shame, as I was looking forward to mixing with it. As it is, I've emailed Sonimus to ask for a refund, as I'm just not going to use this plug. Hopefully they'll honour the refund and do the right thing.
Unfortunately, I think this is what I was thinking. It seems to strip a little bit of life or space from the source, BUT, that is just my thoughts. I actually don't want to say anything against it, because I really like Sonimus and frankly if I have to choose between any of the channel emulations, it is going to be Sonimus every single day, but I am wondering full stop, whether any of these emulations, really nail it. Some how, the search for the definitive console sound remains in one place for me.....In a console!!
Old 19th March 2014
  #334
Lives for gear
I always disliked the FAT on Satson, however in some cases I would take that compromise, because it does a little thing for small speakers... you can bring down a db or 2 and FAT compensates that well in poor monitoring environments.

TBH that's what Satson does well, but half of my Satson instances are usually just gain stage/filters with power/FAT off.

Anyone have any remarks on Britson with similar experience? I am not sure I need the same thing in Britson.
Old 19th March 2014
  #335
Lives for gear
From my first tests, I think it sounds quite good when not driven (barely kissing VU's 0... at max !) and with Modern Crosstalk on. Then it sounds quite open and enjoyable, much more to my liking than with the Vintage CTalk (which makes it all sounds too dense and narrow IMO).
To my ears, Britson is much more obvious than Satson. It's also more coloured than SDRR's Desk mode (that I quite like, undriven too)
You definitively have to mix into it, to compensate the low end bloom it induces.
Anyway, now I'm quite eager to give MFC a try... but I'm a bit scared to dive into Nebula. If only it got released as an (OSX ready) Acqua plugin !
Old 19th March 2014
  #336
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
For the Nebula crowd: how much CPU for let's say 36 instances of MFC @ 44.1 on a mid-level i5 rig?

Also, is there a demo?
on i7, you could run it in 64 bit but it would start falling appart. With Nebula the Freeze button is your friend.
Old 19th March 2014
  #337
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
For the Nebula crowd: how much CPU for let's say 36 instances of MFC @ 44.1 on a mid-level i5 rig?

Also, is there a demo?
No comparison, it would be impossible to run that in realtime on any system. For me, Satson gives all of the sonic qualities I love about consoles and Nebula, with the added bonus of the realtime workflow. I was happy to have Satson replace Nebula, it just took at little while of using both to see. Now, Britson is another flavor and is the icing on the cake.
Old 19th March 2014
  #338
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
No comparison, it would be impossible to run that in realtime on any system. For me, Satson gives all of the sonic qualities I love about consoles and Nebula, with the added bonus of the realtime workflow. I was happy to have Satson replace Nebula for me. Now, Britson is another flavor and is the icing on the cake.
That's not true. I've ran over 36 nebula instances (including 2 reverb instances) in real time. I wouldn't be able to track like that but to mix, yes sure it's possible. High latency? Yes. but possible.
Old 19th March 2014
  #339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
on i7, you could run it in 64 bit but it would start falling appart. With Nebula the Freeze button is your friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
No comparison, it would be impossible to run that in realtime on any system. For me, Satson gives all of the sonic qualities I love about consoles and Nebula, with the added bonus of the realtime workflow. I was happy to have Satson replace Nebula for me. Now, Britson is another flavor and is the icing on the cake.
Thanks guys. That's something very important imho, because no matter how good Nebula sounds I have to be able to actually use it in the first place, and what you guys are describing isn't good. I might be able to deal with the workflow hassles since this kind of plugin is "set and forget", but I gotta be able to run many instances, at least 24 on a full x64 systems without resorting to freeze. If it has a hard time running 36 instances @ 44.1 on a i7 then it's no good to me.
Old 19th March 2014
  #340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
That's not true. I've ran over 36 nebula instances (including 2 reverb instances) in real time. I wouldn't be able to track like that but to mix, yes sure it's possible. High latency? Yes. but possible.
36 + all the other plugins required? Bus compressors, equalizers and so on.
Old 19th March 2014
  #341
Gear Addict
 
Dimmy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilla View Post
I have to say that after several hours mixing with Britson, I've found it not to my own taste. I'm getting a papery quality going on that is taking away the vibrant quality of the source sounds. It's a shame, as I was looking forward to mixing with it. As it is, I've emailed Sonimus to ask for a refund, as I'm just not going to use this plug. Hopefully they'll honour the refund and do the right thing.
Same here (minus the refund request). Feeling a little stupid, but **** happens. This is the first Sonimus product that doesn't do it for me.
Old 19th March 2014
  #342
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
36 + all the other plugins required? Bus compressors, equalizers and so on.
"all other plugins required" = Nebula for me.

so I have some channels that have 5-6 Nebula instances (ie: preamp->EQ->Compressor->EQ->Console). I used to hate freezing but now I absolutely love it. It forces me to commit and in the end I find it makes my mixes better. And honestly once you work with Nebula, it's really hard to go back to other plugs.
Old 19th March 2014
  #343
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

I got Briston just to see how things might have progressed, I swear by Klanghelm SDDR for console-ish duties nowadays and Satson had long ago sort of been relegated to quick and easy filter plugin. I love the Eq's though so thought I'd take a punt.

Whilst I'm not sure I need it, ( a demo might have cured my curiosity ), the material I tested it on seemed to benefit from it's tones and mid range pressure, as others have noted the highs can get a bit strident. I'm sure even that aspect will have a use, but then again I don't really use plugins in an attempt to emulate a console so I'm not looking at it from that angle.

@Mercado_Negro thanks for the files, interesting. I downloaded your no console file and the MFC and tried to use Briston and other plugs to replicate what MFC is doing. I kind of matched the top by a slight roll off and a slight widening by 0.2db seemed to mimic the spatial enhancement of MFC but perhaps not exactly. I ever so slightly boosted a low shelf a bit. I also used Klanghelm SDDR on console mode and compressed the very top end with DSM. It's not a direct comparison so OT but I think the point I'm trying to make is Nebula sound is achievable with algorithmic plugins.

Well, you guys can decide for yourself...here's the files...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayx8m4nzz3d6pws/2Pc7r9X9WD
Old 19th March 2014
  #344
Lives for gear
 

I bought it because for me the the only way to form a valid opinion on something like this is to use it. I like it well enough. I'll still probably still use Satson as my default first plugin (it's already in my mix template). I would never compare this to Nebula because I use them differently. I never mix with Nebula consoles, I always render them to tracks pre-mix. As someone else mentioned it sounds good on bass when pushed. I'll use it that way when I'm feeling too lazy to patch in some hardware. Totally worth the price and only time will tell if it becomes a usual suspect in my rock mixes.
Old 19th March 2014
  #345
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

SDRR is probably the worst option there is. It sounds absolutely nothing like a console. They should rename "desk" mode to something else.
Old 19th March 2014
  #346
Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
I got Briston just to see how things might have progressed, I swear by Klanghelm SDDR for console-ish duties nowadays and Satson had long ago sort of been relegated to quick and easy filter plugin. I love the Eq's though so thought I'd take a punt.

Whilst I'm not sure I need it, ( a demo might have cured my curiosity ), the material I tested it on seemed to benefit from it's tones and mid range pressure, as others have noted the highs can get a bit strident. I'm sure even that aspect will have a use, but then again I don't really use plugins in an attempt to emulate a console so I'm not looking at it from that angle.

@Mercado_Negro thanks for the files, interesting. I downloaded your no console file and the MFC and tried to use Briston and other plugs to replicate what MFC is doing. I kind of matched the top by a slight roll off and a slight widening by 0.2db seemed to mimic the spatial enhancement of MFC but perhaps not exactly. I ever so slightly boosted a low shelf a bit. I also used Klanghelm SDDR on console mode and compressed the very top end with DSM. It's not a direct comparison so OT but I think the point I'm trying to make is Nebula sound is achievable with algorithmic plugins.

Well, you guys can decide for yourself...here's the files...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayx8m4nzz3d6pws/2Pc7r9X9WD
That's a very valid point but the cultists are already preparing their pitchforks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
They should rename "desk" mode to something else.
I kind of agree with this, even though SDRR is a lovely plugin.
Old 19th March 2014
  #347
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
SDRR is probably the worst option there is. It sounds absolutely nothing like a console. They should rename "desk" mode to something else.
I think plenty of people will happily disagree with you on that one. Whether they rename or not it adds a certain presence to the sound that I like and with gain up to 5 or 6 gels stuff together nicely. It lives on my master buss. Anyway check the files and you can hear it sounding nothing like a console next to the nebula sampled console
Old 19th March 2014
  #348
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
SDRR is probably the worst option there is. It sounds absolutely nothing like a console. They should rename "desk" mode to something else.
So you absolutely dig Briston and absolutely dislike SDRR and especially it's desk mode.
Good to know, our tastes are diametrical inverted.

And no, Tony will certainly not rename the desk mode because of your suggestion.
Old 19th March 2014
  #349
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Actually, "desk" mode was my favorite of what SDRR has to offer, but overall I just think everything about it sounds like plastic.

Put an instance of SDRR on all your channels and busses and enjoy that nasty buildup that sounds nothing like a console.
Old 19th March 2014
  #350
Lives for gear
 

Just gave it a shot. I regret that I have to say I don't really like it. I like the other Sonimus stuff but this one is not for me. It makes tracks sound... "brittle", by lack of a better word. To my ears, it doesn't add anything I'd want there to be. Too bad I couldn't demo it (there goes the money heh), I would not have bought it then. I'm skipping on this one, too bad!
Old 19th March 2014
  #351
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

Maybe your right, I've never used it like that...quite frankly I don't have the computing power to. It works on the master buss a treat though for me at least and to give some mid presence to vocals if needed. I'm not looking to emulate a console in that respect, I see no point in being faithful to that system, or using that as a yardstick for a plugins usefulness. I guess these are being branded as 'consoles' so I get they will be judged as such, I understand that.

I'm not bashing any of these options because they will all have their use.
Old 19th March 2014
  #352
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
Maybe your right, I've never used it like that...quite frankly I don't have the computing power to.
Exactly, I mean what kind of a monster machine are you running? I use it sparingly on busses with just a hair gain. Anyways......... Back to topic.
Old 19th March 2014
  #353
Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post

Well, you guys can decide for yourself...here's the files...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayx8m4nzz3d6pws/2Pc7r9X9WD
The algo version is nowhere near the Nebula version. Grrrrr. I use Nebula mainly for EQing and GTR Cabinets but all these comparisons have got me wanting to buy MFC after using Slate VCC for a while....
Old 19th March 2014
  #354
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
The algo version is nowhere near the Nebula version. Grrrrr. I use Nebula mainly for EQing and GTR Cabinets but all these comparisons have got me wanting to buy MFC after using Slate VCC for a while....
Hmm, the Algo version is 2 db softer right from the get go in the peaks.... Dunno bout this 'console' business anymore....
Old 19th March 2014
  #355
Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
Hmm, the Algo version is 2 db softer right from the get go in the peaks.... Dunno bout this 'console' business anymore....
I am speaking about the tone...
Old 19th March 2014
  #356
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
I got Briston just to see how things might have progressed, I swear by Klanghelm SDDR for console-ish duties nowadays and Satson had long ago sort of been relegated to quick and easy filter plugin. I love the Eq's though so thought I'd take a punt.

Whilst I'm not sure I need it, ( a demo might have cured my curiosity ), the material I tested it on seemed to benefit from it's tones and mid range pressure, as others have noted the highs can get a bit strident. I'm sure even that aspect will have a use, but then again I don't really use plugins in an attempt to emulate a console so I'm not looking at it from that angle.

@Mercado_Negro thanks for the files, interesting. I downloaded your no console file and the MFC and tried to use Briston and other plugs to replicate what MFC is doing. I kind of matched the top by a slight roll off and a slight widening by 0.2db seemed to mimic the spatial enhancement of MFC but perhaps not exactly. I ever so slightly boosted a low shelf a bit. I also used Klanghelm SDDR on console mode and compressed the very top end with DSM. It's not a direct comparison so OT but I think the point I'm trying to make is Nebula sound is achievable with algorithmic plugins.

Well, you guys can decide for yourself...here's the files...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayx8m4nzz3d6pws/2Pc7r9X9WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
That's a very valid point but the cultists are already preparing their pitchforks!



I kind of agree with this, even though SDRR is a lovely plugin.
@diogo_c: heh no, well at least not me. I like Nebula but trust me, it's just another tool for my work. I'm a fan of happy and "let's call him again" clients :D

@farjedi: I like what you did there, that's where the fun is. I'm pretty sure you'll get even closer if you had separate raw tracks. Very good, sir! This demonstrates once again that we can come up with great stuff if we know what we're doing instead of just looking for the next great plug-in to fix our laziness.
Old 19th March 2014
  #357
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
The algo version is nowhere near the Nebula version...Grrrrr..
I feel that is a bit of a exaggeration, but I guess if that's how you feel hats off to your hearing prowess, I'm no mastering engineer and probably someone with better skills could have been more persuasive. I agree the Nebula sounds really great, I've owned it since the beginning, and in 5 years perhaps it will be a viable solution for us all, right now I can't really use it on what I've got, but I'm happy with what I can make with algo plugs. Making a fresh mix is a different ball game and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I even own a desk which I can't use at the moment, but I don't particularly miss it sonically speaking.

By the way, the algo file is a bit low, my mistake, I think boosting it 0.25db brings it into level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

@farjedi: I like what you did there, that's where the fun is. I'm pretty sure you'll get even closer if you had separate raw tracks. Very good, sir! This demonstrates once again that we can come up with great stuff if we know what we're doing instead of just looking for the next great plug-in to fix our laziness.
Listening again I know that I didn't nail it but anyway I hoped to make an interesting experiment and discussion out of it Yeah, I kind of noticed that in Nebula land as well, no-one seemed really that satisfied with what we had, maybe it changes with MFC and that is the new standard, but I had loads of desks and eq's, pre amp libraries, but still wasn't satisfied for analog sound. But then I have a desk and you can definitely make crap mixes and music on it so it's not really the tools. They help definitely but if you know the sound you want you can make it with anything, just about.
Old 19th March 2014
  #358
Lives for gear
 

So far I tend to like Britson on bass...
A.
Old 19th March 2014
  #359
Gear Nut
 
indelible's Avatar
 

I don't want to ruin the show but I like the MFC more then others consoles in the Mercado files.I own Nebula but I'm not a fanboy for sure.The only console I own is the MTC and I never use it.I own Satson too but never use it too.I think I'm going to sell it.I want the SonEQPro.
Old 19th March 2014
  #360
Lives for gear
 
HamHat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasserSpitzer View Post
Don`t be unfair , i own VCC , Satson , britson , Stripbus and NLS .
I still have to admit that there was something special about that MFC clip .
If it works for you keep at it just saying what I heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post

Whilst I'm not sure I need it, ( a demo might have cured my curiosity ), the material I tested it on seemed to benefit from it's tones and mid range pressure, as others have noted the highs can get a bit strident. I'm sure even that aspect will have a use, but then again I don't really use plugins in an attempt to emulate a console so I'm not looking at it from that angle.
A demo for this product would indeed be handy, I could push it myself instead of relying on others tests.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump