The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 19th March 2014
Not liking any of these Britson example. In all cases so far I prefer the originals. Less enjoyable to listen to, it's like there are a lot of high frequencies that I can't hear as much as feel. It's the THD I reckon, but it just sounds irritating.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgr View Post
I am not a PT user but I feel your pain. Both the users and developers are in a tough spot. If I were a small developer I'd be weighing whether it's worth the effort to support AAX given Avid's huge financial problems and the very real possibility that it dies or gets bought.
Let's hope that doesn't happen. i know there are rumors that Avid is failing, but I think for now, they are just rumors.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
You could use vst plugins if you got the blue cat plugin. AAX and loads vst plugs.
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that tonight.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
A few versions of the same mix using different consoles (No EQ/comp, raw tracks).

Quality: 96kHz

No_Console

Britson_Default_Flat

Satson

VCC_Brit_N

Nebula_MFC_(88RS)_Clean

Nebula_VBC_(8014)_Clean

These versions don't include vocals, sorry. We're still tracking them.

NOTE: I didn't match their loudness so please do it yourselves.
This is a good test. I think Britson is pretty much in-between VBC and MFC quality wise. I like it better than VCC.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
The bus presets are indeed handy
Yes agreed, offers nice subtle options/flavours.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
This is a good test. I think Britson pretty much in-between VBC and MFC quality wise. I like it better than VCC.
Yeah, those three sound better than VCC or Satson but I think it's just this song that doesn't ask for that low end they add. If I had to choose one I'd definitely pick VBC, it's my favorite console for this latin music.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
A few versions of the same mix using different consoles (No EQ/comp, raw tracks).

No_Console

Britson_Default_Flat

Satson

VCC_Brit_N

Nebula_MFC_(88RS)_Clean

Nebula_VBC_(8014)_Clean

Is it just me or is the top end on the britson a little too piercing. Kinda jumps out on certain notes and is quite annoying. Listen carefully btw 16 and 18 secs. I noticed this on all the britson samples posted so far. Guess im just spoilt by the top added by the summit EQF and the kush clariphonic. The VBC one is the best here. I love VCC but the neve would not be my first choice with this particular track.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalgel View Post
Is it just me or is the top end on the britson a little too piercing. Kinda jumps out on certain notes and is quite annoying. Listen carefully btw 16 and 18 secs. I noticed this on all the britson samples posted so far. Guess im just spoilt by the top added by the summit EQF and the kush clariphonic. The VBC one is the best here. I love VCC but the neve would not be my first choice with this particular track.
No, it's not just you. Britson tends to do that a lot but I don't find it piercing to be honest, it just adds that particular old Neve gear sound when it hasn't been maintained for a while. Not pristine but kinda "fluffy". Like one good friend tends to say "it's the iron, love it or hate it". I particularly hate it a bit. The thing is AlexB, the creator of VBC and MFC, always service the gear before sampling, that's why his consoles sound so good. A hybrid between that analog flavor from yesteryear and today's pristine world. At least that's how I feel it.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Another test.

http://mixoff.org/index.php/topic,394.0.html
Attached Files

britson.mp3 (8.67 MB, 1684 views)

satson.mp3 (8.64 MB, 1945 views)

off.mp3 (8.49 MB, 1352 views)

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

No_Console

Britson_Default_Flat

Satson

VCC_Brit_N

Nebula_MFC_(88RS)_Clean

Nebula_VBC_(8014)_Clean

Great test! It's ridiculous how good the Modern Flagship Console by AlexB sounds. It's like way way way wway way waaaay more "real" sounding than everything else. It's amazing how it makes the original slightly "plastic" sound become almost believable. Very impressive.

To be frank, I think both Sonimus plugins are the weakest link here in this example. I wish I had saved my money and gotten MFC instead but I wasn't thinking straight and let hype get the best of me.. oh well, Britson is still very useful for single tracks that happen to benefit from it (like hihats, rides and cymbals) but I don't think it's anywhere close to MFC. That'll be my next purchase for sure.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Great test! It's ridiculous how good the Modern Flagship Console by AlexB sounds. It's like way way way wway way waaaay more "real" sounding than everything else. It's amazing how it makes the original slightly "plastic" sound become almost believable. Very impressive.

To be frank, I think both Sonimus plugins are the weakest link here in this example. I wish I had saved my money and gotten MFC instead but I wasn't thinking straight and let hype get the best of me.. oh well, Britson is still very useful for single tracks that happen to benefit from it (like hihats, rides and cymbals) but I don't think it's anywhere close to MFC. That'll be my next purchase for sure.

Cheers!
bManic
Yeah, that's the thing about Nebula, it sounds like it's "in" the sound, like if instruments and vocals born with it, so to speak. Now, in my opinion Britson is a step forward in the console or let's just say "gear" emulation world because it has that extra property that I haven't really heard anywhere else besides Nebula, it actually sounds like a good old Neve to my ears (I've only used a few Neve pieces in my life, there's not much of that here in Venezuela that I know of). VCC is also good but that Brit N always had that thing that didn't click on me. The US A, RC-Tube and Brit 4k are another story, though.

Anyways, I think it's also a matter of perspective and how you approach a song. Mixing both Satson and Britson can get you a nice sound and may well be the ticket if you "learn" them (just like you mentioned on hihats, rides and cymbals for Britson and Satson for "robust" stuff).
Old 19th March 2014
Bought. Tried. Use and like. Great for adding color, I prefer Britson as leveling tool (fader), then stock fader. By the way, It works really nice as a distortion unit. For me it's very versatile plugin.

I see three point of using it:
as preamp color (mostly in the begging of the chain)
as console leveling fader (last in the chain)
as distortion (anywhere you put it)
Old 19th March 2014
Hey folks,

Just wondering to learn if anyone of you knows how to switch between 6db/oct to 12db/oct on the highpass filter of this new Britson ?

Cheers,
G.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Cheers!
bManic
+1
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

I bought Britson just out of curiosityandcompared it against AlexB MFC, which is out of this world, NLS which I find so-so, and VCC which I find really bad. I unfortunately rate it together with VCC. To me Britson sounda like a distortion box and not like a good console should. Since returning to Nebula I realized there is no point in trying algo plugins anymore, because they
are worlds apart soundquality wise, but I broke a word and bought Britson, because it's cheap. Now I am again sorry I did.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
it's not finished if there is still a platform missing..no? What if they just came out with RTAS and no AU or VST? wouldn't that be the same as not really done coding?
VST and AU are the main plugin standards and a bigger market. That's why the ProTools versions will usually follow after those versions are done. Remember Sonimus is a small company with only one coder.

You're actually lucky Sonimus plans on doing the port because many developers like U-he don't even support AAX. It will come eventually you just have to be patient.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I bought Britson just out of curiosityandcompared it against AlexB MFC, which is out of this world, NLS which I find so-so, and VCC which I find really bad. I unfortunately rate it together with VCC. To me Britson sounda like a distortion box and not like a good console should. Since returning to Nebula I realized there is no point in trying algo plugins anymore, because they
are worlds apart soundquality wise, but I broke a word and bought Britson, because it's cheap. Now I am again sorry I did.
Haven't tried new Britson but I have Satson and had VCC.
Nothing like Nebula MFC. MFC rules!
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

It seems that the reviews are nowhere near as positive as when Satson came out. Let me say this though; to me Britson is quite good, but if used as a "console" it has to be used really conservatively, the needle should not be close to going into the red. That way it can add a tiny bit of something without negative effects in the end. That is why you might call Britson extremely subtle, because that is when it's at it's best as a console emu.

If you drive it a little harder it *can* be used with good results on bass.

The other use is to use it simply as you would a distortion plugin. That's a whole different thing.

So for the low price, it's not bad value. No, it cannot touch the Nebula stuff sonically. At all. But the low price plus much better workflow makes it is worth considering if you are willing to learn how and when to use it.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

No_Console

Britson_Default_Flat

Satson

VCC_Brit_N

Nebula_MFC_(88RS)_Clean

Nebula_VBC_(8014)_Clean

Thank you for the quality demo

I like VBC in this case too.

If Britson is driven less, will the highs and low still be so prominent?

Also how's Britson working under 44.1kHz?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting to see how many people say MFC blows Sonimus out of the water (I think you're just a bunch of Nebula fanboys ((Nothing wrong with that))) The only part where MFC really out performed (barely) was the horns. Other than that I would say Britson and Satson both held there own. And the differences were so minimal between Satson and Britson I don't think I will be purchasing Britson anymore, at least not for full price.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
Interesting to see how many people say MFC blows Sonimus out of the water (I think you're just a bunch of Nebula fanboys ((Nothing wrong with that))) The only part where MFC really out performed (barely) was the horns. Other than that I would say Britson and Satson both held there own. And the differences were so minimal between Satson and Britson I don't think I will be purchasing Britson anymore, at least not for full price.
You should try it on you material with different buss programs.
I personaly like Satson, more so then VCC. It doesn't ruin the mix (less fake). I still own Satson but sold VCC.
But I still think MFC is class or more above all of them.

It's pain in the a*s to use it but it's worth it. At least for me.

Last edited by zeljkom; 19th March 2014 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something...
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that tonight.
You can also try Magma by Nomad - it can also load and chain 64-bit VST plugins in PT 11 (I use it and works fine).
Old 19th March 2014
oh man, I work with Britson and totally love it! I like how it sounds damn good
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
You can also try Magma by Nomad - it can also load and chain 64-bit VST plugins in PT 11 (I use it and works fine).
I am actually an endorser of Nomad so I got their whole line. Funny I never used the magma though..thanks.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
VST and AU are the main plugin standards and a bigger market. That's why the ProTools versions will usually follow after those versions are done. Remember Sonimus is a small company with only one coder.

You're actually lucky Sonimus plans on doing the port because many developers like U-he don't even support AAX. It will come eventually you just have to be patient.
Unfortunately, patience in our field isn't always an option as you need what you need now. If it's not out and I buy a competing product, then that's what I use, and to change that is a pain especially once I build my workflow around it. Unless of course I am still looking for something better. So far, the Slate VCC has served me well. I also have the NLS. Now I would like to try Britson, just to have different favors, but not so much so that I will wait it out...in the meantime projects are coming in.

I appreciate that it's only one coder...and can't really fault a one man operation too much. But once the buzz wears off of this plugin, and AAX finally comes out...will people still be willing to try it? Will see...
Old 19th March 2014
Wondering when Sonimus will put out a compressor? Same style as SonEQ Pro in that it's slightly limited in what it can do (to keep it simple and not overwhelm the user with a million options), yet totally useable on all things. Where all options result in a great sound.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Here is a test of all tracks running through Brit and Sat channels then one Brit and Sat on the master buss. This is un-mixed, taken from a mix-off you can find here:

Majesty - Pop/Rock Cover Mix Off - Just For Fun
Thank you for taking the time to post these examples. I actually prefer the track with nothing on it to be frank. The drums just sound more spacious and more natural with nothing on. Sometimes naked is better!!!

Still, I do like Britson on some of the other examples I have heard. For $39, it will be another experiment, I am happy to try.
Old 19th March 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

k, so before doing a mix on this Pop/Rock joint,
I just pulled all the faders up, did a quick fader mix.
Then I put each channel plugin on each track (Pro Tools HD by the way)
then I had 4 busses,

Buss 1 - Kicks
Buss 2 - Snrs
Buss 3 - Drums
Buss 4 - Bass

Then for each buss I put the relative buss plugin on it.

I then went through each channel and pushed it til I saw red then back it off til I didn't see it.
I did the same on the busses via a trim plugin.
So I could get max saturation out of each plugin.
I would not do this normally but, wanted to see how much color and how much each plugin would saturate.

Anyway, once going to the Master Buss, I pushed that as well in the same matter.

There is no EQ, no Compression, nothing but what these plugins can do when pushed to -1 before red lights.

Again, it was 22 Audio Tracks, 1 Bass Track, 4 Busses and a Master Fader.

Let me know what you hear.

I also put the original on here and I matched all to the same RMS level.

Marc...
Attached Files

OriginalRuffTrack-Drums&Bass.wav (4.71 MB, 471 views)

Britson-Pushed2DaMax-Test1.wav (4.71 MB, 488 views)

VCC-Pushed2DaMax-Test1.wav (4.71 MB, 419 views)

NLS-Pushed2DaMax-Test1.wav (4.71 MB, 489 views)

Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
Don`t be unfair , i own VCC , Satson , britson , Stripbus and NLS .
I still have to admit that there was something special about that MFC clip .
Old 19th March 2014
For the Nebula crowd: how much CPU for let's say 36 instances of MFC @ 44.1 on a mid-level i5 rig?

Also, is there a demo?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search