The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Britson Console coming soon Saturation Plugins
Old 19th March 2014
Just bought it, excited to see how it improves on Satsun which I've been using since it came out on all my mixes.

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
To me Britson bottom end sounds deep in a cool way, not like VCC Neve bottom end which I find too pronounced and imposing, lacking some definition.
Now slowly replacing Satson on tracks with Britson.
Thanks Sonimus, nice work.
Yep, stays tight even when you drive it, I don't like VCC Neve either
A.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

bought. Let the fun begin.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Hey Sonimus,is there any other way to pay than paypal?I have to pass through verification procedure and it will take 3 or 5 long days to authorize my purchase!!!Oh sh**....
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Same audio as post #263 driving the channels harder and with FAT mode on the Wurli (still no EQ)
A.
Attached Files

BritsonDrive.wav (6.70 MB, 708 views)

Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Here's a bunch of premixed sample loops with Britson on & off (5 channels + 1 bus plugin), no FAT mode and no EQ, standard gain staging
Subtle as already stated though the Britson version might sound a tad sweeter to me (I like the bass tone better also), of course it could be complete placebo
(I did a compromise between peak and RMS when level matching)
A.
Without Britson sounds way better in this example
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Same audio as post #263 driving the channels harder and with FAT mode on the Wurli (still no EQ)
A.
In this exemple too

It does glue everything together, but that's too much, I prefer the depth and definition of the original without Briston
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
In this exemple too
I guess the point is more to show the colour/drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
way better
Personally I don't hear a huge difference
A.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
Finish ONE product complete before starting on new ones. Not sure why you would not fully complete a release, and make people wait while you start on new plugins. Doesn't seem right for PT users. I have always felt as if PT users are being punished by some smaller developers for using PT...Ultimately, it's Sonimus that loses the sales, when we go in other directions.

Also, where is the demo for the Britson? Most of us that have VCC wouldn't want to spend $39 to demo a product. I understand that it's cheap enough, and not complaining, but to try it for an hour or so..I think asking $39 to test drive it isn't all that fair. In the end, I may not need it, nor like it, so then I am left with yet another plugin in my unused folder...

Satson, SonEQ Pro, Sweetone, are finished products, AAX later, simple no?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finish ONE product complete before starting on new ones. Not sure why you would not fully complete a release, and make people wait while you start on new plugins. Doesn't seem right for PT users. I have always felt as if PT users are being punished by some smaller developers for using PT...Ultimately, it's Sonimus that loses the sales, when we go in other directions.

Also, where is the demo for the Britson? Most of us that have VCC wouldn't want to spend $39 to demo a product. I understand that it's cheap enough, and not complaining, but to try it for an hour or so..I think asking $39 to test drive it isn't all that fair. In the end, I may not need it, nor like it, so then I am left with yet another plugin in my unused folder...
Or you could ask Avid to add VST support to Pro Tools. I mean seriously how long have they been around for?

Side note seeing as how there was no response about the satson owning discount, I would say it's safe to say they are not going to make good on their promise. Bad business IMO.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFH View Post

it's not finished if there is still a platform missing..no? What if they just came out with RTAS and no AU or VST? wouldn't that be the same as not really done coding?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Yeah, and Avid is the only plug-in standard-holder I know of that requires large sign-on fees and a hyper-exhaustive dialog with each dev about each product. They're so paranoid about "compatibility issues" (which tends to mean "uncaught/ignored bugs in our system" in this case) that they make the 3rd parties kill themselves to deliver something that complies.

That model may have worked when the pro audio world was stuffed to the gills with money and we were all used to paying $500 for a very, very bad reverb plug-in, but these days, there just isn't the bulk of profit available. Avid should be bowing and scraping to woo devs like Sonimus that actually have cred with users from the lowest to the highest-end.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
Or you could ask Avid to add VST support to Pro Tools. I mean seriously how long have they been around for?

Side note seeing as how there was no response about the satson owning discount, I would say it's safe to say they are not going to make good on their promise. Bad business IMO.
Let's not get started on VST.. AAX and RTAS plugins for PT are rock solid...would never use a VST plugin..ever.

What a better more universal solution would be, is to make ONE plugin format that works inside any DAW...now THAT would solve all these issues. But until that happens, as a developer, I think it's only fair to code for everyone...just always seems like AAX is always last...I would love to just once see other platforms wait...
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
just always seems like AAX is always last...I would love to just once see other platforms wait...
So because Avid sucks, all other DAW developers should too?
Looking forward to trying this plugin out...downloading now. Love the SonEQ Pro.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Ok, what a great plugin! another home run for Sonimus!
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownauratone View Post
Yeah, and Avid is the only plug-in standard-holder I know of that requires large sign-on fees and a hyper-exhaustive dialog with each dev about each product. They're so paranoid about "compatibility issues" (which tends to mean "uncaught/ignored bugs in our system" in this case) that they make the 3rd parties kill themselves to deliver something that complies.

That model may have worked when the pro audio world was stuffed to the gills with money and we were all used to paying $500 for a very, very bad reverb plug-in, but these days, there just isn't the bulk of profit available. Avid should be bowing and scraping to woo devs like Sonimus that actually have cred with users from the lowest to the highest-end.
AVID, for all it's faults, are strict so that there are no real issues with AAX...It's for the most part, solid. The other BIG BIG factor with Avid and their plugin conformities is because of their control surfaces. Avid has a LOT of them, and they need to make sure that all of the third party plugins work flawlessly with them, including the live consoles. I don't think other platforms have this issue...so while there are hoops, I believe that the benefits for developers in the long run outweighs them...there are LOT of us PT users that run only AAX, why alienate us or frustrate us to the point that we no longer want the plugin?

Look, I am only saying this because I hear GOOD things about a plugin, only to find out that I can't use it? It's like a big tease, and just frustrating. Not that I am against anyone, just my point of view.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
So because Avid sucks, all other DAW developers should too?
Looking forward to trying this plugin out...downloading now. Love the SonEQ Pro.
See...my point exactly, you wouldn't like it if it were you...
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Good points, Jake—Avid's big-iron hardware efforts definitely make support more complex all by themselves. That said, beyond some functional points in the AAX standard and some additional testing, there's nothing about the situation that should translate to "let's cost our dear devs TONS more money and time."

That said, none of this is the user's fault, and I feel for you, man. I wish they'd make it easier for folks to make stuff for their platform.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFH View Post

Not really - they can choose to put their effort on new plugs. VST and AU have pretty big userbases and RTAS isn't totally dead yet as many haven't migrated fully to PT11.

Going totally OT now...

I really feel sorry for small developers these days when they have to deal with all those formats. I mean, can you imagine you and two or three guys (or even less) developing a plugin, marketing it, supporting it, managing the company's finances and doing everything that comes with that enterprise? The amount of time and effort it takes is pretty big. Not everyone is like for example Steven Slate, and can afford to gather and finance a proper team, and even in such cases there's some struggle to keep it up with everything. Very few companies manage to do well in all the aspects of this trade.

I'll also add the fact that some countries offers far more incentive to others when it comes to small professional business. This means it's harder for you to go legit and get properly paid people working, as there are hardly any incentives for small entrepreneurs. I'll take my country as an example: there are zero audio plugin developers here and very few audio hardware companies. The bureaucracy is a scary behemoth and the atmosphere for small business is dreadful. Almost none of the Brazilian companies are studio-grade quality and they don't even want to be, and solely exist around live sound - which is where the money is in our local music industry. That's pretty bad for a country with nearly 200 million people and a rich musical history.

So try to take it easy on the requests, and put things in perspective every once in a while.

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
AVID, for all it's faults, are strict so that there are no real issues with AAX...It's for the most part, solid. The other BIG BIG factor with Avid and their plugin conformities is because of their control surfaces. Avid has a LOT of them, and they need to make sure that all of the third party plugins work flawlessly with them, including the live consoles. I don't think other platforms have this issue...so while there are hoops, I believe that the benefits for developers in the long run outweighs them...there are LOT of us PT users that run only AAX, why alienate us or frustrate us to the point that we no longer want the plugin?

Look, I am only saying this because I hear GOOD things about a plugin, only to find out that I can't use it? It's like a big tease, and just frustrating. Not that I am against anyone, just my point of view.

When all is said and done - a developer can support whoever/whatever they like..."it's there business" ..and you the consumer either buy it or not...end of story.

There are some great plugins on other platforms I don't have access to but would really like to try, it isn't the end of the world you know

Cheers.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Here is a test of all tracks running through Brit and Sat channels then one Brit and Sat on the master buss. This is un-mixed, taken from a mix-off you can find here:

Majesty - Pop/Rock Cover Mix Off - Just For Fun
Attached Files

britson.mp3 (6.48 MB, 1920 views)

satson.mp3 (5.72 MB, 1595 views)

off.mp3 (6.48 MB, 1468 views)

Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownauratone View Post
Good points, Jake—Avid's big-iron hardware efforts definitely make support more complex all by themselves. That said, beyond some functional points in the AAX standard and some additional testing, there's nothing about the situation that should translate to "let's cost our dear devs TONS more money and time."

That said, none of this is the user's fault, and I feel for you, man. I wish they'd make it easier for folks to make stuff for their platform.
My gripe is mostly with Avid I guess...I sometimes get too caught up with frustration, that while I am stuck using PT...which is ok, I am also not able to take advantage of some cool plugins because they aren't AAX...some not even RTAS. I've been waiting for many developers to go RTAS and AAX for over a year, and nothing. I know Avid makes it hard..I also understand the reasons why..but sucks either way..lol
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My gripe is mostly with Avid I guess...I sometimes get too caught up with frustration, that while I am stuck using PT...which is ok, I am also not able to take advantage of some cool plugins because they aren't AAX...some not even RTAS. I've been waiting for many developers to go RTAS and AAX for over a year, and nothing. I know Avid makes it hard..I also understand the reasons why..but sucks either way..lol
You could use vst plugins if you got the blue cat plugin. AAX and loads vst plugs.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Here is a test of all tracks running through Brit and Sat channels then one Brit and Sat on the master buss. This is un-mixed, taken from a mix-off you can find here:

Majesty - Pop/Rock Cover Mix Off - Just For Fun
Nice test, I did enjoy the Britson just a bit more than the Satson.
Old 19th March 2014
Dgr
Gear Nut
Quote:
I am not a PT user but I feel your pain. Both the users and developers are in a tough spot. If I were a small developer I'd be weighing whether it's worth the effort to support AAX given Avid's huge financial problems and the very real possibility that it dies or gets bought.

Last edited by Dgr; 19th March 2014 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: Sp
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

A few versions of the same mix using different consoles (No EQ/comp, raw tracks).

Quality: 96kHz

No_Console

Britson_Default_Flat

Satson

VCC_Brit_N

Nebula_MFC_(88RS)_Clean

Nebula_VBC_(8014)_Clean

These versions don't include vocals, sorry. We're still tracking them.

NOTE: I didn't match their loudness so please do it yourselves.
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

BigRoom Samples to compare with VCC - Satson - Britson

Hi Guys,

a BigRoom Sample with 4 Tracks (Bass, Drums, FX, Chords)

With one Plugin in the Track (Channel) and one in the Group (Buss) without EQ or Drive or any other Stuff, only the Plugins.

Sonimus Satson

Sonimus Britson

VCC SSL (Brit 4K)

VCC Neve (Brit N)

VCC ATi (US A)

VCC Trident (Trident Logo)

have fun

(my first post, don't be to strict with me)
Attached Files

BigRoom_Satson.m4a (7.08 MB, 823 views)

BigRoom_Britson.m4a (7.10 MB, 769 views)

BigRoom_VCC_SSL.m4a (6.99 MB, 711 views)

BigRoom_VCC_Neve.m4a (7.01 MB, 667 views)

BigRoom_VCC_ATi.m4a (7.11 MB, 615 views)

BigRoom_VCC_Trident.m4a (7.09 MB, 626 views)

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anybody have Brit and Sat and have something electronic music-wise to run through it for comparison?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Thank you to everyone taking the time to upload audio files
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear
Ditto - great to see all the comparison tests.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search