The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802 Audio Interfaces
Old 10th March 2014
News Desk Editor

Hardware Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802

The Fireface 802 renews RME’s reputation built on the legendary Fireface 800. 60 channels of audio, high-end microphone preamps, reference class converters, a complete effects section and operation at up to 192 kHz are the base for many more features:

Ultra-low latency operation with USB or FireWire, combined with the legendary RME driver stability and maintenance. Active jitter suppression, individually switchable reference levels for all inputs and outputs, full stand-alone functionality, RME’s unique DIGICheck metering and analysis toolbox, and identical operation on Windows PC and Mac.

TotalMix FX, RME’s digital high-end mixer and signal router, driven by two powerful DSPs, with integrated EQ, Dynamics and Reverb/Echo effects at up to 192 kHz, plus a built-in monitoring controller. ?

The full-blown feature set also includes optional Class Compliant mode and operation with TotalMix FX for iPad, RME’s app to fully control the 802 from the iPad, without any computer. The easy to use app includes metering for all 90 channels plus effects bus, different setup screens, and complete control of all features.

The Fireface 802 is a highly integrated pro audio solution, a full-blown studio, all within a 19” enclosure. An interface designed for users who don’t want to make compromises in sound, stability and ultra-low latency operation, and who long for an unrivaled professional feature set. Once again a milestone interface from RME, including the best of the best and even a bit more.

Features:
  • 30 Input / 30 Output channels
  • 12 x Analog I/O
  • 4 x Mic/Instrument Preamp, classic technology
  • 1 x AES/EBU I/O
  • 2 x ADAT I/O (or 1 x ADAT I/O plus 1 x SPDIF I/O optical)
  • 1 x Word Clock I/O
  • 1 x MIDI I/O
  • FireWire and USB operation
  • TotalMix FX

Link : RME: Fireface 802
Attached Thumbnails
Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802-products_fireface_802_4b.jpg   Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802-products_fireface_802_2b.jpg   Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802-products_fireface_802_3b.jpg  

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 31st March 2014 at 01:37 PM..
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

WOW

Now we have choices.....
Old 10th March 2014
e17
Gear Nut

Noob question:

How is this a 30 channel i/o when I can only count 17 inputs? What am I missing?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

Digital inputs like ADAT...
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Gooooood Looord! I think I did well not jumping on upgrading my faithful Hammerfall DSP Multiface to another soundcard yet cuz I think this one is arriving at the right time and being big RME user & Fan for their rock (never failed) solid Sound cards & Drivers, this looks to be on my A list now for upgrade. Hope the price will be right too ;-)
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wish they would make a control surface to go with it to do monitor mixes. I hate mousing around in total mix when I'm usually trying to edit in daw when I get monitor requests from clients.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh forgot to read iPad integration. That might be nice to have touchscreen virtual mixer outside my daw
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

So what's the difference between this and the UFX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliken View Post
Wish they would make a control surface to go with it to do monitor mixes. I hate mousing around in total mix when I'm usually trying to edit in daw when I get monitor requests from clients.
The iPad software seems like it may be some sort of comprimise for you
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
Yeah well I have the ff800 no fx and I've actually hooked up my presonus studiolive board to do monitor mixes for a couple clients. Its great to have the hands on access to total custom mixes with effects and EQs etc. I drag that board out on the weekends for band gigs. Anyway I think rme is a bit behing others like avid or steinberg for users who want some hands on control and less mousing around.
Old 10th March 2014
Seems like RME nailed it for the not-so-pro/not-so-amateur crowd.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Nice, but still no high end unit from RME to compete with the Lyra 1, HiLo, etc...?
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
I have the same question. It looks and sounds just like a ufx minus the display. (Pretty sure the ufx does ipad as well.) Is it less expensive maybe?
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted User
No stright to USB drive recording (DuRec), too. It's so helpful when used on location.

Preamps and phone outs have pots, easier than software only. Good move.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm guessing the they will now retire the FF800.

I hope the price and mic pres are good. I never cared for the pres on the FF800 but it is an excellent interface on all other counts.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

This is the Digi 004. (not the Apollo)
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

right off the bat i notice a few things:

1. I/O is less than a UFX

2. UFX has two sets of Midi I/O. this new unit only has one.

3. no direct recording to a USB stick. not mentioned on the specs.

4. no screen, of course.

other than these, it looks like they are close. No mention about pre-amp quality being the same or not as the UFX.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
right off the bat i notice a few things:

1. I/O is less than a UFX

2. UFX has two sets of Midi I/O. this new unit only has one.

3. no direct recording to a USB stick. not mentioned on the specs.

4. no screen, of course.

other than these, it looks like they are close. No mention about pre-amp quality being the same or not as the UFX.
Are you sure about the I/O? It looks the same to me: 12/12 analog and two ADAT ports.

Also it looks like the 802's preamps have slightly better SNR, 5dB less gain, and a higher input impedance (>3k vs 2k on the UFX). So they're different; "better" or not remains to be seen.

Finally, while I'm not sure how big of a difference it actually makes, the UFX has parallel conversion on its mic preamp channels.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
This is Digi 004. (not the Apollo)

But this time you'll get support when 005 arrives!
Old 10th March 2014
This looks like a fine box except it's crazy that it doesn't have Thunderbolt. I wouldn't dream of buying a new interface right now that didn't have it.

I'm using a TB > FW800 converter on my FF800 right now and it seems to work, but if you're buying new...... I just don't see it.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
This looks like a fine box except it's crazy that it doesn't have Thunderbolt. I wouldn't dream of buying a new interface right now that didn't have it.
Thunderbolt is rather pointless for audio unless the channel count reaches into the hundreds, and when it does, usb3 is a more universal implementation on both MAC and PC, and will be probably long after Thunderbolt goes the way of firewire. Thunderbolt remains a gimmick in the audio world at this point.

-Both UFX and 802 seem to have the same inputs.
-I looks like this one has FF800 analog style pots, but by the gain description, it looks like they probably still control the preamps digitally and could be the same PGA2500 design as the UFX.
-No DurREC which makes the UFX a great backup machine, it has saved my butt more than one.
-No direct control of DSP outside of total mix. UFX has that, but it is a pain to use.
-Nixes the time code option of the FF800 unfortunately.

I don't really see too much of a difference between this and the UFX and question whether an update to the FF800 is really needed in their product lineup.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

no USB 3 like in the new Zoom UAC interfaces ?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear
It doesn't need the bandwidth of USB3 or Thunderbolt (as has been mentioned) for that matter to enable all channels to be perfectly comfortable and operate as per spec. The testament to great drivers!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
It doesn't need the bandwidth of USB3 or Thunderbolt (as has been mentioned) for that matter to enable all channels to be perfectly comfortable and operate as per spec. The testament to great drivers!
so USB 3 close to PCI-e performance playing soft synths stays a privilege of RME´s MADIface XT ?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

since we´re talking about connectivity - this part from the description on the rme site confuses me a bit:

"Like already known from the Fireface UCX and UFX (and indeed using the same matured driver family) the Fireface 802 combines USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 within one interface."

Does this mean the FF802 is just FW400 and not FW800 anymore ?

Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
so USB 3 close to PCI-e performance playing soft synths stays a privilege of RME´s MADIface XT ?
You're talking about live play, I guess (controlling soft synths via a MIDI keyboard)? I can reliably drive my UFX at 48 samples/44.1kHz with just a shade over 4ms round-trip latency over USB 2.0. Can the MADIface significantly outperform that?

The MADIFace XT has USB 3 because it supports nearly 200 channels. This thing only supports 60, which is well within USB 2's abilities.

USB 3 is more expensive to implement, and I bet it's a support nightmare, since there are so many bad USB 3 chipset implementations out there. And since most prosumer interfaces in practice never have more than two live inputs going at once, there really isn't much actual justification for USB 3's performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
"Like already known from the Fireface UCX and UFX (and indeed using the same matured driver family) the Fireface 802 combines USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 within one interface."

Does this mean the FF802 is just FW400 and not FW800 anymore ?
In photos it looks like there's a FW800 port next to a FW400 port on the back.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider View Post
You're talking about live play, I guess (controlling soft synths via a MIDI keyboard)? I can reliably drive my UFX at 48 samples/44.1kHz with just a shade over 4ms round-trip latency over USB 2.0. Can the MADIface significantly outperform that?

The MADIFace XT has USB 3 because it supports nearly 200 channels. This thing only supports 60, which is well within USB 2's abilities.

USB 3 is more expensive to implement, and I bet it's a support nightmare, since there are so many bad USB 3 chipset implementations out there. And since most prosumer interfaces in practice never have more than two live inputs going at once, there really isn't much actual justification for USB 3's performance.

In photos it looks like there's a FW800 port next to a FW400 port on the back.

There are no numbers available yet for the MADIface XT.But the ApolloTwin delivering under 2,5 ms at the output with 64 samples buffer and under 2ms with 32 samples is quite tempting.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear
Thunderbolt is more of marketing feature. Unless you need all the bandwidth.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Thunderbolt is more of marketing feature. Unless you need all the bandwidth.
The point of TB is PCIe level round trip latency (roughly half that of FW/USB). Sadly no one has achieved it yet. Ludicrous the amount of RTL people will tolerate these days because they don't know any better. RME provides TotalMix FX as a workaround for those that don't tolerate the latency...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
The point of TB is PCIe level round trip latency (roughly half that of FW/USB). Sadly no one has achieved it yet. Ludicrous the amount of RTL people will tolerate these days because they don't know any better. RME provides TotalMix FX as a workaround for those that don't tolerate the latency...
Mmmm, not so sure about tho. I have ProTools HD Native with the OMNI and I get a better result when using PTHD with my RME UFX. Just saying.
32 samples with a UFX is bloody impressive. I can't run the AVID drivers at 32 samples.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like a fun interface. Might have to get me one of these for additional output channels on stage and for general use in a cutting room. It's a significant update to the previous FF800, and much newer converters. I already have a UFX, an Octamic XTC and a Babyface, this might get use in a very portable 2u live sound/recording setup.

Not too keen on the preamps, as they are based on the Octamic II ones, but RME at least offer two headphone outputs, which is very handy.

Looking forward to the first reports
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search