The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802 Audio Interfaces
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Nice, but still no high end unit from RME to compete with the Lyra 1, HiLo, etc...?
you mean ad/da?
Old 15th May 2014
Gear Nut

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know -

The RME Fireface 802 is available from UK dealers now. If you buy from them you get a 5 year warranty AND the chance to win the RME Advanced Remote Control (ARC)

Competition - Buy an RME Fireface 802 & You Could Win an RME ARC | Synthax Audio

Jason

Synthax Audio (UK) LTD
Old 2nd September 2014
Gear Head

Order placed.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I currently own a FF800 with no issues in the least ever which is why I wouldn't switch to any other company. Companies can talk all they want but I've experienced nearly 10 years of no issues with my FF800 and I have no reason to move to another company.

My question would be could I daisy chain my FF800 into the FF802? If not that, could I do it into the UFX? It looks like it has that firewire 800 on the back that should do it but I want to make sure before I consider my next option. I'm getting close to using all the I/O on the FF800 and having the extra really would be nice. I've looked for the answer to this everywhere and can't find an answer.
Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
My question would be could I daisy chain my FF800 into the FF802? If not that, could I do it into the UFX? It looks like it has that firewire 800 on the back that should do it but I want to make sure before I consider my next option. I'm getting close to using all the I/O on the FF800 and having the extra really would be nice. I've looked for the answer to this everywhere and can't find an answer.
Thanks
No, the FF802 and FFUFX do not support daisy chaining via FireWire, sorry. However, you can easily set up the old FF800 to work as a stand alone AD/DA converter, then connect to the UFX or 802 with ADAT Lightpipe cables. It's just a bit of configuration in the TotalMix GUI then flash the mix settings to the 800's internal memory.

Once it's set up, the 800 does not need the FireWire connection at all. See the youtube video below for detailed instructions, I set it so it starts at the relevant section.

RME FF800 tutorial - YouTube

The nice thing about this is your FF800 works like a standard AD/DA converter this way, but you still have a backup interface in case of disaster. Good luck!
Old 8th November 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Looks like a fun interface. Might have to get me one of these for additional output channels on stage and for general use in a cutting room. It's a significant update to the previous FF800, and much newer converters. I already have a UFX, an Octamic XTC and a Babyface, this might get use in a very portable 2u live sound/recording setup.

Not too keen on the preamps, as they are based on the Octamic II ones, but RME at least offer two headphone outputs, which is very handy.

Looking forward to the first reports
Hey there,

I'm still considering whether to buy ff800 or 802 for my genelecs.
More comparisons are nowhere to be found, funny fact having in mind the great reputation of RME and the ff series.

Do the converters really make that much of a difference to the sound quality, processing and honesty in comparison to the ff800 ?

Is it not rather a small upgrade (2 years difference in model production i think) in relation to the interface, mobility, accessibility and ease ?

It would be essential to many people if some one can give a particular experience and a real measurable example for the complexity in difference between 802 and 800

Cheers,
SpaceTr.
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacetrip View Post
Hey there,

I'm still considering whether to buy ff800 or 802 for my genelecs.
More comparisons are nowhere to be found, funny fact having in mind the great reputation of RME and the ff series.

Do the converters really make that much of a difference to the sound quality, processing and honesty in comparison to the ff800 ?

Is it not rather a small upgrade (2 years difference in model production i think) in relation to the interface, mobility, accessibility and ease ?

It would be essential to many people if some one can give a particular experience and a real measurable example for the complexity in difference between 802 and 800

Cheers,
SpaceTr.
There is a fantastic video demonstration online where five of the TOP UK mixers compare converters and try to "pick". Only one guy was on the money and he mumbled something about wishing he had not bought eight of a particular very coveted, very expensive converters.
It's what you make of it. I find if I have decent content running through my system, I hardly give a ****e about how much my converters might be imparting /translating. Only when I find I'm producing dog ****e do I start thinking about my converters. It's something to do.
On Gearslutz, converters are a decidedly hot topic with the utmost of importance placed on it. That does not mean that this hyped mentality translates beyond the upper statesmen of mediocrity and holds all the production of great releases hostage until the converters issue is settled. Pro audio sales experts can identify right where you are at experience wise, with this one question and move in with their own subjective opinion called pro audio advice
Talk to top engineers and you might be surprised by what they actually use. Ask them in a forum and you might find out what they're shilling.
I do think converters are of importance, but not so much that it warrants such heated and often hostile reactionary fan boy warring.
Most folks, may have one or two different converters that they might know well, but they will offer an opinion across the board on converters they don't actually know beyond "he said.., she says, I just read..". So the whole question is an exercise in futility unless you're keen to get on a bandwagon or have a preference you want support for in your decision to buy.
I have two converters here that I can use either or, I use my ufx happily and I get results that a top mixer has never had issue with, nor has he even mentioned, "hey, what converters have you got there?".
Not once has it ever come up.
Trust me, this guy could split a hair infinitely and does not miss a trick, never has converters been topic.

But you will find under achieving Pro's and expert amateurs take stance on converters, like fools. Soon as you hear this type of debate unfolding, you know you are wasting your time listening to time wasters who don't have anything better to do than suggest what others "should" be buying.
The debate of converters is just something to do on Gearslutz.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBA View Post
In out blindtests we thought the 400 sounded subjectively better than UFX
(I'll spare you the fuzzy, vague and poetical terms used by the participants to describe the sound)
- this correlates somewhat with the results from the tests done here on GS - and it bothers me still.
Could you post a link to the thread with these tests? Thank you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search