The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: RME announces Fireface 802 Audio Interfaces
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
I'm sure it sounds decent and has good drivers, but looks to me like RME are going cheap. Clearly a cut down version of the UFX and ... still hanging onto Firewire, which is on its way out, and USB 2
Quite on the contrary - the FF802 is not a cut-down UFX, it is a beefed-up FF800 with a bunch of new features, like USB (USB 2 is plenty here), CC mode, Totalmix FX, 12 independent inputs (as opposed to 10 on the 800) and an extra phones output... Plus a connector for our Advanced Remote Control.

Quote:
These points are not a bad thing for a product per se, but I just hope that its not a sign of things to come. Cost-cutting in one area is often accompanied by cost-cutting in other areas. I bet that many of the components inside are cheaper versions than those in the UFX too.
Again, you are somewhat mistaken - the main points that differentiate it from the UFX and make it less expensive are the lack of TFT display, USB recording, and digitally controlled preamps, none of which the FF800 had either. It does not compromise preamp or converter quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetube View Post
a) higher transfer speed reduces time/latency for transmission of data between recording device and PC
You are confusing speed and bandwidth. TB won't make your audio travel any "faster" - an hour's recording will still take an hour...

Quote:
c) keeps the flexibility to connect the interface to different computer via cable
Quite a well-known feature of USB, too - plus sturdier cables and a more solid connector.

Quote:
Thunderbolt would offer RME possibilities to write an own communitcation protocol which is completely independend of the USB protocol stack. The USB code in a computer is complex and CPU intensive as USB is a general purpose interface for connecting dumb devices.
RME USB devices already use our own USB implementation, which can not be compared to "standard" USB audio devices. TB won't allow for a proprietary "communication protocol" on the data level any more or less - it is essentially PCIe.

Quote:
With thunderbolt I see there a chance for further optimize drivers so that an external recording interface might come very close to the performance of a PCIe card.
Our USB devices are already at that point. TB will not automatically provide even lower latencies, because regardless of data interface, there are certain limits that you won't be able to go below on a computer based system with DAW software.

Quote:
So a high transmission speed is cruicial to have enough headroom for the mix of audio data with near realtime demands and other bulk traffic.
Again, "speed" is not the issue - and USB bandwidth is plenty. More lanes on the highway won't make your car go faster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefrançais View Post
RME is 2 years late !!! No thunderbolt ! you can't do chaining: interface--->hard drive etc ...
You could easily do so with the FF800, via Firewire 800... How many of you actually did so? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
since we´re talking about connectivity - this part from the description on the rme site confuses me a bit:
"Like already known from the Fireface UCX and UFX (and indeed using the same matured driver family) the Fireface 802 combines USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 within one interface."
Does this mean the FF802 is just FW400 and not FW800 anymore ?
Correct - the 9-pin connector is FW400, in fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leere View Post
the micpres are one thing, but i am qurious about the other converters and how they differs with the ufx.
The preamps are very good, albeit not of the digitally controlled variety of the UFX, quite obviously.

The latest-generation AKM converters are even faster when it comes to conversion latency, which is in the range of 7 samples... 12 on the UFX, while on the FF800 it was about 40 samples or so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
The latest-generation AKM converters are even faster when it comes to conversion latency, which is in the range of 7 samples... 12 on the UFX, while on the FF800 it was about 40 samples or so.
Sounds good, any chance you can tell us the AKM model? Sooner or later someone will open up a unit and report, but it would be nice to know now if possible.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
Sounds good, any chance you can tell us the AKM model? Sooner or later someone will open up a unit and report, but it would be nice to know now if possible.
And reveal that the Audient ID 22, SPL Crimson or Tascam UH 7000 or even the
Zoom UC TB units offer better conversion ?

never
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post

never
How can you say this without hearing the unit? So much goes into a converter design that the chips are only a starting point. There are plenty of boxes out there that use whatever the latest chip to peak some spec is. They brag about using that chip but their implementation doesn't even approach that chip's spec. It just seems odd that you would even bother to comment.
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
*sigh*
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

does anybody know if this new has a chain function like the old one, so chain more units?
28 channels (ADAT + Analoge) i sometimes are in the situation that i need 32 or more...
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Quite on the contrary - the FF802 is not a cut-down UFX, it is a beefed-up FF800 with a bunch of new features, like USB (USB 2 is plenty here), CC mode, Totalmix FX, 12 independent inputs (as opposed to 10 on the 800) and an extra phones output... Plus a connector for our Advanced Remote Control.

The preamps are very good, albeit not of the digitally controlled variety of the UFX, quite obviously.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Wow. Great information. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I find myself torn between the UFX and the 802. The DuRec and the TFT display are not that Important to me…. They would be nice, but audio quality is my main concern. Ive noticed that the A to D Signal to noise specs on the RME website look slightly better on the 802 than the UFX. Does one sound better than the other (even slightly)? or is this just splitting hairs at this point?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla Coil View Post
Wow. Great information. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I find myself torn between the UFX and the 802. The DuRec and the TFT display are not that Important to me…. They would be nice, but audio quality is my main concern. Ive noticed that the A to D Signal to noise specs on the RME website look slightly better on the 802 than the UFX. Does one sound better than the other (even slightly)? or is this just splitting hairs at this point?
The 802 is not designed to sound "better" than the UFX, despite the slight difference in specs.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear
i'm buying this one...
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

RME UFX is the best package of capabilites currently.
Excellent sonics, reliability, stability and set of features that are needed to job being done.
I can't say too much praises for it.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
RME UFX is the best package of capabilites currently.
Excellent sonics, reliability, stability and set of features that are needed to job being done.
I can't say too much praises for it.
Did you modify your unit ?
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

I like rme but I'll wait for thunderbolt
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefrançais View Post
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
@miscend

RME drivers are exceptional. Nothing I said was intended as trivial and you reiterated my exact point. Frankly, if I can't get sub 3ms *RTL* at 44.1k it's a no go.

Concert hall performers don't hear the direct sound blended with ambient. That's where the problem lies, and our brain CAN'T compensate for that, but this is not the thread for that.

TotalMix is exceptional, and perfectly fills the gap.
No you're wrong. The brain can compensate for small latency. It does so all the time. Even a typical grand piano can have as much of 5mS of latency, that is the time for the hammers to hit the strings and sound being produced. You don't see that affecting accomplished pianists. Latency is a natural result of the laws of physics and there is no getting away from it.

As for singer, singing without amplification in a large concert hall. Yes there is definitely latency involved.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Maniac

So regarding the pres and/or conversion (or other design features) of the 802 and the ufx, can an official comment on which one is "better"? I just was about to buy a ufx and the 802 kinda hit me off guard - in a good way

Assuming I don't need the extra features of the ufx, which one should I pick?
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
Haha, you can explain me more than twice that firewire is future, but I don't know why, I'm not sure about that ...
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Seems like RME nailed it for the not-so-pro/not-so-amateur crowd.
? What's not professional about stable, reliable workflow?
these guys make interfaces better than MOST , and most definitely better than the totally Uber cool chic " high end " "professional" interfaces.
I think the time has come to review assumptions that FF802, UFX, UFX are anything but amateur.
Each time I have tried to step "beyond
" UFX, I find myself right back in front of it.

Antelope , great clocks, awesome looks
Prism, best converters, great support
Lynx , quality, practical, choices
We could go on down the list but, my point is:

NONE OF THESE COMPANIES CAN BUILD A PROFESSIONAL INTERFACE THAT CAN BE RELIED UPON IN A PROFESSIONAL.SETTING TO THE SAME DEGREE OF ROCK SOLID RELIABILITY THAT RME INTERFACES CAN PROVIDE.

Honestly, these "professional" grade units all have great attributes and major Achilles heels that prevent them from challenging RME in performance Across the board. No matter what one thing it is that some of these boxes do well, they are each laden with an arse load of greif deployed.

The biggest rookie mistake I've made in the past year is believing that something was always better than what my UFX was offering. For my needs.

I tried most of the obvious "prestige", "professional" interface offerings and in short order, I was back on Ebay desperately trying to replace my UFX!

I can get a better clock in another box, but at what cost?
I can get better converters but the sacrifice is debilitating and disruptive to workflow.

If RME were a Los Angeles or Nashville based company, would their products be discerned more respectfully?

So much fan boy nonsense convoluted this belief that a UFX is anything less than professional.
I'd say amateurs attached to a notion of what a professional is and what tools must be used to be considered "professional".

Writing, composing and producing demos is our livelihood, RME builds one of those bits of kit that allow you work, commit to work and schedules, and do so without looking like a complete unprofessional with gear woes.

Attitudes need to shift regarding these type of RME offerings, really, if we are to be honest and pragmatic about it.

How long were ns10's sniggered at before folks realised they had proven themselves a reliable tool for many? Hardly a mad "high end" monitor, the perception changed with the realisation of the professional dependency that had developed. I didn't write history but I did take note of many such products that found a role in pro audio, and some I would still call almost indispensable.

Amateurs need to connect with their inner professional and accept that quite possibly equipment does not define professionalism.

RME builds professional grade components and interfaces at price points that embrace the aspiring, the seasoned & the knowing, and the practical professional who just needs to get on with the job at hand.
If a 1u audio interface is the chosen connectivity in your world, you can search high and low and still not find anything as well rounded and rock solid reliable as RME interfaces.

Playback latency, RTL latency, nothing is faster than an RME in this class.
I do want better (?) sounding converters but not at the expense of work flow.

RME is probably the only company developing products until they are ready to go. Every single other "professional" interface is at least a 6month POST SALE RnD adventure you get to ride upon for the honour of schlocking out your big bucks. Really rude stuff IMO.
Fwiw, I will NEVER pre order an interface again, long as I live. Unless it's an RME.
They have EARNED my trust with years of hassle free product use. Have never needed support but I hear that's great too.
To me, they are the archetype of professional grade products.

Last edited by GeneHall; 20th March 2014 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: auto text ghosts
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

in terms of marketing strategy this interface makes no sense in my opinion.. the saving is bugger all to consumers and the loss of features from UFX struggle to justify the saving.. the LCD on UFX alone is enough to warrant the $300 difference IMO, not to mention DURec..

Im speculating, but i bet the 802 has more profit for RME than the UFX.. This looks like a decision to cut costs and increase revenue not one which is directed by product integrity.. It makes little sense to cannibalise the UFX for any other reason..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliken View Post
Oh forgot to read iPad integration. That might be nice to have touchscreen virtual mixer outside my daw
to my knowledge you wont be able to use the RME iPad app with your DAW at the same time.. The app uses the USB port, its not wireless and you cant use USB and firewire simutaneously.. You could use an OSC program to control totalmix, however there are some limitations in RME's OSC implementation.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Think UA´s Twin is faster at playback
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
The point of TB is PCIe level round trip latency (roughly half that of FW/USB). Sadly no one has achieved it yet. Ludicrous the amount of RTL people will tolerate these days because they don't know any better. RME provides TotalMix FX as a workaround for those that don't tolerate the latency...
Maybe, but I play in a band where the Fireface800(later UFX) was the central hub to everything. I do live looping of guitars and keyboards and run at 64 samples. The latency is 3ms or so and once you get that low; I'm not sure it's worth worrying about anymore.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I bought my FF800 about 10 years ago. It's a 10 year old firewire computer device. I paid $1000 used and today I can probably sell it for $1000 used.

That's unheard of in computer gear. Whatever they're doing; people appreciate it. I gig with their cards and there's never a hiccup.

Quote:
these guys make interfaces better than MOST , and most definitely better than the totally Uber cool chic " high end " "professional" interfaces.
I think the time has come to review assumptions that FF802, UFX, UFX are anything but amateur.

NONE OF THESE COMPANIES CAN BUILD A PROFESSIONAL INTERFACE THAT CAN BE RELIED UPON IN A PROFESSIONAL.SETTING TO THE SAME DEGREE OF ROCK SOLID RELIABILITY THAT RME INTERFACES CAN PROVIDE.

Honestly, these "professional" grade units all have great attributes and major Achilles heels that prevent them from challenging RME in performance Across the board. No matter what one thing it is that some of these boxes do well, they are each laden with an arse load of greif deployed.

The biggest rookie mistake I've made in the past year is believing that something was always better than what my UFX was offering. For my needs.

I tried most of the obvious "prestige", "professional" interface offerings and in short order, I was back on Ebay desperately trying to replace my UFX!

I can get better converters but the sacrifice is debilitating and disruptive to workflow.

If RME were a Los Angeles or Nashville based company, would their products be discerned more respectfully?

So much fan boy nonsense convoluted this belief that a UFX is anything less than professional.
I'd say amateurs attached to a notion of what a professional is and what tools must be used to be considered "professional".

Writing, composing and producing demos is our livelihood, RME builds one of those bits of kit that allow you work, commit to work and schedules, and do so without looking like a complete unprofessional with gear woes.

Attitudes need to shift regarding these type of RME offerings, really, if we are to be honest and pragmatic about it.

How long were ns10's sniggered at before folks realised they had proven themselves a reliable tool for many? Hardly a mad "high end" monitor, the perception changed with the realisation of the professional dependency that had developed. I didn't write history but I did take note of many such products that found a role in pro audio, and some I would still call almost indispensable.

Amateurs need to connect with their inner professional and accept that quite possibly equipment does not define professionalism.

RME builds professional grade components and interfaces at price points that embrace the aspiring, the seasoned & the knowing, and the practical professional who just needs to get on with the job at hand.
If a 1u audio interface is the chosen connectivity in your world, you can search high and low and still not find anything as well rounded and rock solid reliable as RME interfaces.

RME is probably the only company developing products until they are ready to go. Every single other "professional" interface is at least a 6month POST SALE RnD adventure you get to ride upon for the honour of schlocking out your big bucks. Really rude stuff IMO.
Fwiw, I will NEVER pre order an interface again, long as I live. Unless it's an RME.
They have EARNED my trust with years of hassle free product use. Have never needed support but I hear that's great too.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I bought my FF800 about 10 years ago. It's a 10 year old firewire computer device. I paid used and today I can probably sell it for used.

That's unheard of in computer gear. Whatever they're doing; people appreciate it. I gig with their cards and there's never a hiccup.

Absolutely.

I bought three FF800 and one FF400, still using an old Multiface and an old Digiface too, since 10 years.

Will buy this 802 one to replace my aging FF800, not the UFX.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I wonder if there's a Fireface 402 coming soon for someone who wants the UC/UCX but doesn't want the digitally controlled preamps or the UCX's DSP.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Nut

Where do you connect the monitors on this unit?
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:

You missed my point entirely.

By "not-so-pro/not-so-amateur" I mean people who don't earn their living with music but have a professional attitude about the music they make. People who are not willing to shell 5k on PTHD system but are totally serious and conscious about their budget. That's the RME ballpark.

I never diminished RME by any means.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Talking

Quote:

Mmmh ... If I understand you clearly, I should wait for RME thunderbolt 800,heh
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Actually I like it that rme scares off some misinformed customers by not adding thunderbold just to share the price advantage with those who follow their thinking.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
You missed my point entirely.

By "not-so-pro/not-so-amateur" I mean people who don't earn their living with music but have a professional attitude about the music they make. People who are not willing to shell 5k on PTHD system but are totally serious and conscious about their budget. That's the RME ballpark.

I never diminished RME by any means.
Kind of irrelevant discussion but anywaaaaay; RME is very much used in professional circles because of the quality and reliabilty.
So people who are willing to shell 5k use RME too.

but anyway: back to the fireface 802!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I wonder if RME would ever be tempted to release an audio interface with similar amount of I/O as the UCX, but with the true galvanically isolated transformer balanced AES/EBU digital I/O of the 802 and UFX. That would be great!
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Think UA´s Twin is faster at playback
Thing is, no one really cares or gets concerned about playback , it's RTL and other such factors we must understand instead of listening to yet another pitch crapping in about playback performance.
It's not useless, I'm saying it's over stated and a clear distraction from the real issues folks must understand if they are to be able to make informed choices.

The only interface gear I will consider buying now, is done so under the proviso it passes a bench test by my builder, or it goes back for a refund, period. Anything less is unacceptable in my book.

I'm sick of post sales development, products that claim to aspire to certainty specs and fail outright to deliver as expected.
These well known brands that tap a toe into the 1u all in one interface game, only diminish their respected branding power by delivering boxes that were never capable of any claims other than the amazing world of zero latency playback. Give me a break.
It starts feeling like a big con game after awhile..

In the long run, RME will prove it's professional grade by reliably delivering the goods as described and not bull****ting people with flashy front panels and crapping on about zero latency playback like it's some kind of divine achievement we should all be in awe of.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search