The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident Audio Shows New 88 Console - Now Shipping!
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugist View Post
Ah... cool, so the only difference to the 78 is the EQ?
Actually, no there is more. You can get transformer balanced out on the Main and Monitor outputs on the 78. It has more EQ, available in a VU meter bridge, has an all Class A Discrete front end, and several more features.

In addition, the 78 is manufactured in the USA. We have the 68 assembled to our strict quality control off shore. Even so, the 68 is one hell of a console, and the review in Sound On Sound backs that up.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Actually, no there is more. You can get transformer balanced out on the Main and Monitor outputs on the 78. It has more EQ, available in a VU meter bridge, has an all Class A Discrete front end, and several more features.

In addition, the 78 is manufactured in the USA. We have the 68 assembled to our strict quality control off shore. Even so, the 68 is one hell of a console, and the review in Sound On Sound backs that up.
Ok, got it. Today I saw an 8ch version of a 78 at the Just Music store. It's beautiful. The feel of potis and faders is great. They didn't have a powersupply there.

Maybe next time I can take a listen.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, got it. Today I saw an 8ch version of a 78 at the Just Music store. It's beautiful. The feel of potis and faders is great. They didn't have a powersupply there.

Maybe next time I can take a listen.
They have the supply! They just don't leave it up and plugged in. Why I do not know. If they did, they would sell them! Once you hear this, and experience the EQ and headroom, you are hooked. It's a wonderful console...
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
They have the supply! They just don't leave it up and plugged in. Why I do not know. If they did, they would sell them! Once you hear this, and experience the EQ and headroom, you are hooked. It's a wonderful console...
I am thinking of getting some optional transformers in the channels. Where in the signal path do they sit? Will signals coming through the line Input hit them?
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am thinking of getting some optional transformers in the channels. Where in the signal path do they sit? Will signals coming through the line Input hit them?

The only option for the channels are the mic pre. There is no transformer line input option. Just the mic pre....
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
The only option for the channels are the mic pre. There is no transformer line input option. Just the mic pre....
Ok, thanks! Some line pads before mic in will help here...
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, thanks! Some line pads before mic in will help here...
On the Series 88, the gain for both mic and line are very wide. The low impedance balanced microphone gain varies from +5dB min, to approximately +60dB. The line level varies from -15dB to +40dB, effectively providing a 20dB pad to the microphone preamp.

What is cool about the design is in place of a pad switch, there is a Mic insert switch. This switch selects between the Mic input source on the XLR / 1⁄4” Combination connector and the line level input (labelled Ext MIC) that feeds the Channel. It allows the user to connect a line source (external Mic Preamp) and be able to bypass the Channel Mic pre-amp stage or switch between them.

So effectively, you can have two different mic preamps on each channel selectable by a switch, and still have another insert to each channel as well set pre/post EQ.
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
On the Series 88, the gain for both mic and line are very wide. The low impedance balanced microphone gain varies from +5dB min, to approximately +60dB. The line level varies from -15dB to +40dB, effectively providing a 20dB pad to the microphone preamp.

What is cool about the design is in place of a pad switch, there is a Mic insert switch. This switch selects between the Mic input source on the XLR / 1⁄4” Combination connector and the line level input (labelled Ext MIC) that feeds the Channel. It allows the user to connect a line source (external Mic Preamp) and be able to bypass the Channel Mic pre-amp stage or switch between them.

So effectively, you can have two different mic preamps on each channel selectable by a switch, and still have another insert to each channel as well set pre/post EQ.
That's pretty cool. I will use the board mainly as a synth hub. From what I saw online, the 78 is more "straight forward". Simplicity is important as I work alone.
To many buttons tend to distract me :-)

Transformers could be also installed later on, right? Somewhere I heard that Trident are developing there own transformers. So maybe buy no "naked" and add the trannys later...
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 300228d
[QUOTE=alanhyatt;14297692]

Hey Alan what’s the news on the tri mix auto option?
Is it going to happen for the 88?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Saxplayerz;14351598]
Quote:

Hey Alan what’s the news on the tri mix auto option?
Is it going to happen for the 88?
Yes, as well as the Series 78, but the Series 68...
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 300228d
[QUOTE=alanhyatt;14352601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post

Yes, as well as the Series 78, but the Series 68...
Oh really it’s ready?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search