The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP880 will be unveiled at Messe 2014 Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I wouldn't get an ID22 because I need balanced XLR outputs to my powered speakers.
The ID22 outputs are balanced, so you need balanced TRS to XLR cables.

Tom, can you confirm this?
Old 2nd April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hi there, I'm sure I've written the main differences out but I'll do it again just to be clear and answer your question specifically.

The ASP880 has the same mic pre amps as ASP008, but all new mechanical construction, a new look, fully upgraded and significantly improved ADC converters which are included as standard, a built-in fanless PSU that will work anywhere in the world without reconfiguration and of course insert points that allow outboard or external mic pres to address the ADC directly!

Cheers
-Tom

Tom-

I own an ASP008 and I remember making the decision to buy without the ADC because I didn't need them at the time. What I also remember was that the price of the 008 with the ADC was close to $2000 USD (with the analog only being around $1350).

If the preamps are the same and the ADC is "upgraded and significantly improved", how is it nearly $600 less than the 008 was just a year ago?

I'm in the process of trying to buy a card for the 008...seems like I should just sell the analog unit and buy the 880.

JB
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I would love to see a rackmount Audient audio interface (along the lines of the Focusrite Saffire Pro24 DSP). The iD22 doesn't quite have enough I/O for me which is a real shame.
I own a Mico and am extremely happy with it. Great sounding preamps, conversion and the HMX feature is very nice indeed.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey what do you have against balanced TRS jacks?! Work the same as an XLR! Just use TRS to XLR cables! The iD22 outputs are balanced!

Cheers!
Audient
This is what I do - works great!!
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
The ID22 outputs are balanced, so you need balanced TRS to XLR cables.

Tom, can you confirm this?
Hi Red, yes absolutely, Tip to XLR Pin 2, Ring to XLR Pin 3 and Sleeve to XLR Pin 1. Fully balanced, differential (for noise rejection) all the way from the TRS to the XLR in the receiving balanced line input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitterjoe View Post
Tom-

I own an ASP008 and I remember making the decision to buy without the ADC because I didn't need them at the time. What I also remember was that the price of the 008 with the ADC was close to $2000 USD (with the analog only being around $1350).

If the preamps are the same and the ADC is "upgraded and significantly improved", how is it nearly $600 less than the 008 was just a year ago?

I'm in the process of trying to buy a card for the 008...seems like I should just sell the analog unit and buy the 880.
JB
Hi Joe, thanks for your question. The short answer to that question is that we increased our quantities to reduce the retail cost of the unit to give back to the end users. We sold the ASP008 very successfully for the last 10 years (ish) and wanted to provide a unit that could sell for the next 10. The quality has been improved in all areas - believe it or not the older ASP008 uses a very expensive toroidal transformer made here in the UK and this was a significant portion of the cost and required for low noise and mains hum. The new ASP880 uses a much more efficient and modern PSU design, a Dave Dearden special and is actually quieter than the toroidal version, it is also more cost effective.

Also because we use the same converters in iD22 - we have the direct advantage of buying more across the two products.

I can honestly say that the ASP880 is everything the ASP008 was and more and it does indeed cost less because we spent ages value engineering the unit so that we could provide unbeatable value.

Submit a support request if you have any questions about your ASP008 (same analogue sound as ASP880) and the digital card issue etc.

www.audient.com/support

Cheers!
-Tom
Old 2nd April 2014
Here for the gear

We need a trade-in, trade-up program!

I send you my mint 008 and a couple hundred bucks for a 880!

Thanks for the clarification, Tom.

Joe
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Nut

Since this is adat out, I need an adat card too? My mobo has an adat in, will that work? If not, what's a good adat in pci card? And if it won't be doing any converting, any old adat in should be ok shouldn't it, since the Audient is the master?
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's been a long while since I've heard a Rosetta 800, although I did own an Ensemble and have extensively used the Duet, Symphony etc.

I would say that you'll find the ASP880 converters on par with these devices but with a more natural and open presentation, particularly openess in the low frequencies and punch, which is a really good thing. We use the top of the line Burr Brown PCM4220 ADC and it sounds phenomenal and holds its punch even close to clipping.

All of the devices mentioned are quality for sure.

Cheers
-T
This sounds like the perfect set of 8 channels and the only thing like this at this price. I am hoping to get 2 of these. Will Audient do an 8 channel interface at some point? I have a Steinberg UR824 and it was the only interface in it's price range that could do 24 in through USB that I am aware of.

Does anyone else here know how the Audient preamps compare to the Focusrite ISA 828? I know the ISA has a transformer but I am wondering if it makes much difference. I assume that 880 will have better converters since they are a new design. It is also less than half the price.

Peter
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Comparing a set with an ASP880+ID22 or ASP880+RME Babyface what will be the differences in the asp880 channels?
Regarding the conversion and clocking? (sorry for the stupid question)
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
Comparing a set with an ASP880+ID22 or ASP880+RME Babyface what will be the differences in the asp880 channels?
Regarding the conversion and clocking? (sorry for the stupid question)
Hi again.

This not really a question I can answer directly regarding the RME but in terms of the ASP880 and iD22 combo...

You get class leading 115-120dB dynamic range converters, 10 class-a mic pres with smooth and open sound quality. Insert points on ALL 10-channels for your outboard gear and and a really flexible monitor controller.

The two were very much designed side by side to be a solid system!

Cheers
-Tom

P.S check out our new ASP880 video "Keep It Moving" by Swift 89. All recorded with an APS880 mic pre and mixed on an iD22.

Look out for a blog coming soon with before and after audio clips of the drum and vocal recording!

Cheers
-Tom

Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you Tom.
What's the best solution for midi when using an ID22?
(Not a big user of midi keyboards and drums but I need it on some projects)
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Scorpix,

Thanks for your question.

Typically most controller keyboards and drum pad trigger units come with USB MIDI these days. It was this reason that meant we decided standard DIN MIDI was not required on the iD22.

I think you'll be more than happy running audio with iD22 on one USB port and using built in USB MIDI or a USB to MIDI interface for your controllers. There are some nice ones from Motu if you want lots of MIDI i/o.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you for all the info Tom, helps a lot.
I usually just need one midi at a time, is this sufficient?
http://www.thomann.de/fr/miditech_mi...FdShtAodQywAnw
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Watch with cheap usb/midi converters and if your on a mac. Some don't work stable or even totally not.
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

Hi everyone,

Pro Tools Expert recently reviewed ASP880 and thought some of you may like to know what they had to say.

"You may be getting the idea that I like the Audient ASP880 and I do, it was one product I was looking forward to reviewing and my expectations were met with an excellent experience at every level."

You can read the full review here: Audient ASP880 8 Channel Microphone Preamplifier and ADC -

Thanks,
Andy @ Audient
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry but I'm evaluating all the possibilities :D.
Just read the Pro Tools Expert' review and its said that he used the ASP880 as clock source for his interface. Does that mean that I can use it with my Audiobox 1818 (I know I won't be able to use the 8 channels at 96K but only 4. Or 8 at 44.1/48)? Is there a way to use the Audient output for my monitoring with this configuration?
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
Sorry but I'm evaluating all the possibilities :D.
Just read the Pro Tools Expert' review and its said that he used the ASP880 as clock source for his interface. Does that mean that I can use it with my Audiobox 1818 (I know I won't be able to use the 8 channels at 96K but only 4. Or 8 at 44.1/48)? Is there a way to use the Audient output for my monitoring with this configuration?
Hey sorry missed this question last time I was logged in.

You can use ASP880 with the Audiobox 1818. You connect via adat (as you say channel count halved at 88.2 or 96kHz).

The audiobox seems to have a sync output for bnc wordclock, so you could run the 1818 as the master clock and that way workflow is a bit easier with the 880 following as a slave if you flip rates on projects a lot.

If not, set 880 as your master clock and make sure the Presonus is set to receive clock signal from the adat input (external optical clock mode).

Cheers
-T
Old 7th May 2014
Here for the gear

Hello,

I'm about to buy an ASP880 that will go along with my 1818vsl. I don't know much about clock and i'm wondering if it would be better to use the asp880 as master clock and send the clock via ADAT to the 1818vsl or to set the 1818vsl as master and use it's BCN word clock output to the asp880. Would there be any difference ?

Thank you !
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongoji View Post
Hello,

I'm about to buy an ASP880 that will go along with my 1818vsl. I don't know much about clock and i'm wondering if it would be better to use the asp880 as master clock and send the clock via ADAT to the 1818vsl or to set the 1818vsl as master and use it's BCN word clock output to the asp880. Would there be any difference ?

Thank you !
Hi, neither should make a significant sonic difference, but as always trying both is a good idea.

From a workflow POV, you would be better off having your interface as the master and slaving the ASP880 to it (it will reject most any jitter in the 1818 clock source)... this way the ASP880 will follow your session sample rates as a slave on external BNC clock without having to update the unit to match etc.

It's a teeny bit quicker come setup time.

Best,
-Tom
Old 7th May 2014
Here for the gear

Thank you very much, I will test it out

I was hesitating on buying the asp008 because of the fan and the absence of inserts but this is all corrected now with the 880, can't wait !
Old 8th May 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I can honestly say that the ASP880 is everything the ASP008 was and more and it does indeed cost less because we spent ages value engineering the unit so that we could provide unbeatable value.
We added the new ASP880 to our Clipalator preamp test and I can tell you it has a higher resolution sound, sharper transients and great clarity. I've had at least one customer report back the same findings comparing to the ASP008.

Nice improvements for sure.

War
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We added the new ASP880 to our Clipalator preamp test and I can tell you it has a higher resolution sound, sharper transients and great clarity. I've had at least one customer report back the same findings comparing to the ASP008.

Nice improvements for sure.

War
Great to hear - thanks for your support Warren & getting content up there for everyone on the Clipalator...

Cheers
-T
Old 16th May 2014
vcm
Gear Head
Works for synths?

Hi Tom!

Need your frank advice. I know this unit is more for mics but if I plan to record only analogue synths through it, will it somehow bring any advantage over let's say recording directly to interface (which is also of high quality level).

What I like in asp880 is that it has all TRS and DI connections usable for my case and dsub out to connect to my interface which is all on dsubs ((((

So maybe it is stupid to use it more like a patchbay in my situation?

But in any case I can enjoy 2 DIs for converting unbalanced synths to balance signal. Though not sure if connecting to back TRS inputs will sound worse.
Anyway, HPF for each channel is wonderful as well.

Thanks for your answer/thoughts on this

Cheers.

P.S. Or btw, different story but should I wait for Zen MK II mixer?) I will be dreaming of it

Krgds,
Rosti
Old 19th May 2014
Here for the gear

Hi Tom,

I'm looking to purchase an 880 to work alongside my Profire 2626 via adat. As the 880 doesn't have D/A conversion this means it will be using my Profire as the D/A conversion. How important is this? Should I consider upgrading my Profire to provide better D/A conversion or should I focus more on upgrading pre-amps etc. Cheers!
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcm View Post
Hi Tom!

Need your frank advice. I know this unit is more for mics but if I plan to record only analogue synths through it, will it somehow bring any advantage over let's say recording directly to interface (which is also of high quality level).
Hey Rosti, I'm sure I answered this one, but it seems my reply got lost in the ether!

Well, yes most synths are happy feeding line inputs of >5kohms or more input z, so the 6kohm inputs on ASP880 would work great, and for those that are a bit more fussy or say a Rhodes through a tremolo pedal - the 2 x front panel JFET D.I's would be great. Obvious benefit is the HPF on each channel so you can condition your synths as you track them in.

There is some colour to be had if you push the preamp, but you might find it more useful to have some attenuation between micpre output and ADC input to avoid clipping... there may be some benefit in specifically having some "colour" processing that you can insert there instead - using the 880 for input gain conditioning etc.

Buying an 8-channel micpre to record line level synths does seem a bit like overkill, but then there aren't many 8 channel instrument D.I boxes on the market for the same money with ADC fitted.

I have seen plenty of users run D.I boxes around the studio (passive transformer ones can have a cool tone) to keep the instrument level wiring to and from each synth short and then run mic level from all the D.Is into the 880 or console micamps... a cool way to work if you have 4-8 synths that are permanently plugged in for writing/jamming etc.

You could of course have all your synth outputs on a patchbay and have the D.I boxes/ASP880 D.I inputs come up there so you can patch whichever one you are playing.

Really the only way to answer it is to fully understand your workflow and what you hope to achieve from it.

Quote:
But in any case I can enjoy 2 DIs for converting unbalanced synths to balance signal. Though not sure if connecting to back TRS inputs will sound worse.
Anyway, HPF for each channel is wonderful as well.
You'll certainly find them useful and adding extra passive D.I boxes in front can be fun from a tone POV...

Cheers
-Tom
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch32 View Post
Hi Tom,

I'm looking to purchase an 880 to work alongside my Profire 2626 via adat. As the 880 doesn't have D/A conversion this means it will be using my Profire as the D/A conversion. How important is this? Should I consider upgrading my Profire to provide better D/A conversion or should I focus more on upgrading pre-amps etc. Cheers!
Hi, the 880 should be fine with your Profire 2626. You are right there is no DA in the box so if you need outputs they will be the D/A on your Profire.

I really can't comment on the quality of the Profire DAC, but records are made on less for sure so it all depends upon what you are looking to achieve and your priorities. Perhaps consulting your local dealer would help?

I would say in any given studio situation the following are crucial (1. most important etc)...

1. Great musicians
2. A good room (tracking or listening)
2.5 (lol sneaking this in) Mic placement
3. Speakers (knowing them well)
4. Monitoring chain (DACs etc)
5. Mics (yes this low, you can get GREAT stuff with an SM57 if you're hearing it right)
6. Mic preamps... with a get out clause that if 1-5 are taken care of, these become more important (obviously).

Now, I've put mic pres at the bottom in a thread about mic pres - I'll get slapped wrists for that... but truthfully monitoring is crucial, that's why we really like the pairing of ASP880 and iD22 - you get points or control of 3, 4 & 6 pretty well covered, the rest is down to your source, space and learning the room.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 4th June 2014
I made some drum examples yesterday with the 880 switching only impedance on each mic - no EQ was used and I level-matched each performance as closely as possible:

If you go to Soundcloud, you can download the individual files from the playlist.
Old 4th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I made some drum examples yesterday with the 880 switching only impedance on each mic - no EQ was used and I level-matched each performance as closely as possible:

If you go to Soundcloud, you can download the individual files from the playlist.
Good stuff!! The low impedance has a bit more dynamics to my ears. The higher the impedance it seems a little compressed. The tone stays the same but there's a definite shift in the dynamics imo. Gotta say though, the unit sounds fantastic, nice and open in the upper mids and yet has that smooth neveish quality to it. I gotta get one I think!!
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi everyone.

Audient have teamed up with Hard-Fi, Sound On Sound, Gobbler & Cenzo Townshend (U2, 30 Seconds to Mars, Kaiser Chiefs) to give you the chance to mix/remix Hard-Fi's track 'Move Over'. Submit your mix between June 19th & August 18th for your chance to win an ASP880 and iD22 package worth £1,300 plus some awesome runner up prizes!

This is your chance to get your mix heard by industry legends or just to have a practice with, so we challenge you to get creative with your mix/remix!

Hard-Fi Mixing Competition | Audient

Thanks,
Andy @ Audient
Old 17th April 2015
News Desk Editor

#MESSE2015
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search