The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP880 will be unveiled at Messe 2014 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
What will the street price be in the US? If it sounds like the Mico I will want one depending on the price.
Sweetwater already has them on the website for $1399.00

I have a Mico....and the ASP 880 is very tempting.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopqdog View Post
Andy, when is it shipping?
Hello,

We hope the ASP880 will be shipping by the end of the month (March).

Thanks for getting in contact.

Andy @ Audient
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Hi Andy, can the preamps be bypassed, so we can use our external mic preamps instead?
Hi Red Baron,

Yes you can! There are insert points between the mic pres and the converters on every channel so you can use the ASP880 as a standalone converter for your external mic pres if you choose.

Let me know if you would like to know anything else.

Thanks,
Andy @ Audient
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

Think i will get it to replace my Digimax...
I wanted to buy the ld one but it was sold out... then found this
Good news, but still found a shop to get the old ASP008, what is the main difference between the ASP880 and the ASP008 (with digiboard)?
Better pre's? Better A/D?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear
How exactly do you get the audio signals from this unit into your PC / Laptop / Daw? And as asked earlier, will it work on a Windows OS?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's not an interface, it's a preamp/converter…so you get the signal into your computer through any audio interface that has an ADAT Lightpipe input. By that token it doesn't know or care what OS your computer is running on.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Nut

I wonder, could the 008 be modded to behave just like the 880? I love the idea of having inserts, just not selling gear at a loss.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hi denSaakaldte,

During the R&D stage we worked very hard to make the ASP880 a high quality product but also an affordable one. So, ASP880 comes fitted with new Burr Brown converter technology as standard, there will not be two editions. You can have 8 of our renowned Audient mic pres with pristine converters all for £899.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Thanks,
Andy @ Audient
I am very interested in getting one of these. In what way is it better than a Focusrite Octopre? Is it all the components or design?

Peter Warren
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am very interested in getting one of these. In what way is it better than a Focusrite Octopre? Is it all the components or design?

Peter Warren
Hi Peter thanks for your questions.

The mic preamps in our products are the very same as our consoles and have been optimised over 15 years to provide open, clean, punchy audio that could be described as big sounding on things like tom toms etc.

You will find no hint of brittle-ness or harshness here.

On top of this ASP880 uses our flagship ADC design from iD22 (see the amazing reviews so far) and is a top flight Burr Brown PCM4220 design. We think ASP880 presents very good value for money.

I hope that helps.

Best,
-Tom
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I wonder, could the 008 be modded to behave just like the 880? I love the idea of having inserts, just not selling gear at a loss.
I'm afraid the insert points required an entirely additional stage of circuitry and line receivers plus some considerable gain staging modifications to the digital card etc so it would not be possible to modify an 008 into an 880.

But rest assured, your ASP008 still sounds great and certainly the mic preamps sound the same as those in 880.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear
How do Audient's pre amps stack up against those in DAV electronics products? I've been considering the BG1, but for a few hundred more this could be worth the extra.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Andy, Tom, as both, id22 and ASP880, seem to be a great combo, can you tell us the differences between the preamps from both units?
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hi again Red,

The iD22 and ASP880 preamps are exactly the same design as per the consoles.

The only difference is that the iD22 runs on +/-15V and the ASP880 is +/-18V.

This equates to a difference in headroom of approx. 21.5dBu (iD22) to approx. 23.8dBu, or about 2dB between the units (ballpark), but unless you absolutely overdrive them, which bearing in mind that the ADC has a maximum level of +18dBu = 0dBFS so therefore you will likely never get there, the preamps sound exactly the same.

As iD22 and ASP880 use the same micpres and ADC design, they are a partnership made in recording heaven and provide a pretty powerful 10-input recording package.

We developed both products side by side so that you could form a powerful system that would compete with any of the 8input rackmount interfaces in the £1000-1500 price bracket but with better ergonomics (two units) and our latest micpre/converter sound quality.

Cheers!
-Tom
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
It would have been nice to see the button lighting improved.
I have open up three of these just to paint the sides of the plastic buttons. <- do it, you won't regret it.
Nothing worse then hitting one button and they all light up in a dark Control room.

D

D
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
I have open up three of these just to paint the sides of the plastic buttons. <- do it, you won't regret it.
Nothing worse then hitting one button and they all light up in a dark Control room.

D

D
that's interesting, I could do that to mine, you painted them with some permanent marker or something stronger?
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
How do Audient's pre amps stack up against those in DAV electronics products? I've been considering the BG1, but for a few hundred more this could be worth the extra.
Don't have an 880 but have had an 008 & and several DAV BG (currently rack mount version of BG1).

as with most pre-amps comparisons, even on deep experience, remain problematic. In my experience both are well made, should last for significant amounts of time. Both tend to fall in the 'not coloured' category. And as with any not-used-for-Fx pre differences will in many ways be more dependent on material, performance, instrument, mic, oh & room; then pre circuitry.

When I need a lot of mics the 008 gradually became my go-to & it works well in conjunction with DAV pres. If I'm doing a 2-4 mic set up and it's in a great room, with voices, instruments, content that benefit from subtle differences among mics both 008 & DAV tend to lose out to Neve, less often for specific instruments to API. . . both the Neve & API lose out to a telefunkenesque custom tube pre but I only have a pair of those . . . so if I want, for some reason, consistency across the board generally have no problem with Audient 008, would not expect to have any problem with 880 (& inserts are almost enough reason to budget for the new one . . . which some time in next year expect to audition)

I didn't, and wouldn't sell my DAVs & replace with Audient, but would not sell Audient to replace with DAV. Did not retire Neve, API, et al because of the Audient (did sell a TrueSystem 8 channel rack for a 2nd 008 . . . but that was for the conversion on the rack unit and for consistence when I might want 12-16 mics with same pre . . . not often necessary but again never felt I lost anything by surplussing True Systems for Audient, . . . no big rush, with Audient, of 'Wow! so much better' either . . .

Work horse pre, maybe not perfect in every situation but almost always usable
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Does this have a stereo link or detented gain?
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Peter thanks for your questions.

The mic preamps in our products are the very same as our consoles and have been optimised over 15 years to provide open, clean, punchy audio that could be described as big sounding on things like tom toms etc.

You will find no hint of brittle-ness or harshness here.

On top of this ASP880 uses our flagship ADC design from iD22 (see the amazing reviews so far) and is a top flight Burr Brown PCM4220 design. We think ASP880 presents very good value for money.

I hope that helps.

Best,
-Tom
Thanks Tom. Would these converters be comparable to the Apogee Rosetta 800?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quite interested in this - I've been looking for a way to upgrade my studio from its current set up (Mackie Oynx with built in convertor card). I wonder will there be much of an improvement with this units ADC. I wonder how the 880's built-in ADC compares to something like an Apogee Rosetta 800?

Another questions I'd have... I'd eventually need two 880's, but I wonder would it be possible to temporarily tie me over by using the 880 in tandem with my Mackie 1620 to provide 8 channels + 8 channels = 16 ?

Anyone know these answers, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
that's interesting, I could do that to mine, you painted them with some permanent marker or something stronger?
Yeah, the first one. Sharpies worked ok.
I found removing them and using plastic paint was the best, but a much larger pain.
Well worth it in the end.

D
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Argh. Still only pads on 2 channels. I record punk on location with lots of close mics and this would be perfect if it had pads across the board. Still might get it and some inline pads.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnprofitableLPs View Post
Argh. Still only pads on 2 channels. I record punk on location with lots of close mics and this would be perfect if it had pads across the board. Still might get it and some inline pads.
I don't think that'll be much of an issue in most cases. I've used my Audient ASP008 for a lot of loud live rock acts without any headroom issues, using 20-30 dB of gain on most close mics for drums (Beta52, SM57, MD441).
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajschot View Post
Think i will get it to replace my Digimax...
I wanted to buy the ld one but it was sold out... then found this
Good news, but still found a shop to get the old ASP008, what is the main difference between the ASP880 and the ASP008 (with digiboard)?
Better pre's? Better A/D?
Hi there, I'm sure I've written the main differences out but I'll do it again just to be clear and answer your question specifically.

The ASP880 has the same mic pre amps as ASP008, but all new mechanical construction, a new look, fully upgraded and significantly improved ADC converters which are included as standard, a built-in fanless PSU that will work anywhere in the world without reconfiguration and of course insert points that allow outboard or external mic pres to address the ADC directly!

Cheers
-Tom
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post

D
Hey D, thanks for the comments. I actually asked for the colour changes in the LEDs to improve this.

Instead of there being a Blue for 48V and then 3 or 4 Yellow ones for the rest as on ASP008, we've gone to Red for 48V (as a warning) Yellow for the input conditioning functions and Blue for the A-D Insert switch. Using more colours makes it easier to see whats on from a distance.

We use Surface Mount LEDs underneath the switch cap for illumination and therefore light bleed is a slightly tricky thing to deal with.

However instead of needing to "black out" your switch caps I think you'll find ASP880 a bit better as now we have more distinct colours of front panel illumination and we've also switched to a narrower angle LED which should also improve the directionality of the light.

Cheers!
-Tom
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
Does this have a stereo link or detented gain?
The gain is continuously variable on potentiometers.

-T
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Tom. Would these converters be comparable to the Apogee Rosetta 800?
It's been a long while since I've heard a Rosetta 800, although I did own an Ensemble and have extensively used the Duet, Symphony etc.

I would say that you'll find the ASP880 converters on par with these devices but with a more natural and open presentation, particularly openess in the low frequencies and punch, which is a really good thing. We use the top of the line Burr Brown PCM4220 ADC and it sounds phenomenal and holds its punch even close to clipping.

All of the devices mentioned are quality for sure.

Cheers
-T
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's been a long while since I've heard a Rosetta 800, although I did own an Ensemble and have extensively used the Duet, Symphony etc.

I would say that you'll find the ASP880 converters on par with these devices but with a more natural and open presentation, particularly openess in the low frequencies and punch, which is a really good thing. We use the top of the line Burr Brown PCM4220 ADC and it sounds phenomenal and holds its punch even close to clipping.

All of the devices mentioned are quality for sure.

Cheers
-T
I own both the ASP008 and Rosetta 800. As a test, I connected both an optical cable and an analog DB25-DB25 from the ASP008 to the Rosetta. The difference is very subtle, but I feel the A/D of the ASP008 is a tad smoother. Now if Audient were to come up with an 8 channel D/A convertor, I would be tempted to sell my Rosetta. I wouldn't get an ID22 because I need balanced XLR outputs to my powered speakers.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I know it's a bit hard for an Audient guy to answer this but if I can have user's opinion.
How does it sound compare to RME?
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I own both the ASP008 and Rosetta 800. As a test, I connected both an optical cable and an analog DB25-DB25 from the ASP008 to the Rosetta. The difference is very subtle, but I feel the A/D of the ASP008 is a tad smoother. Now if Audient were to come up with an 8 channel D/A convertor, I would be tempted to sell my Rosetta. I wouldn't get an ID22 because I need balanced XLR outputs to my powered speakers.
Indeed, it's not really for me to say how it compares to the Apogee or the RME etc as these are all great tools and should be judged by your own ear etc.

However thanks for the comment about the ASP008. The ASP880 is much upgraded in the digital converters, with a more open, natural and punchy ADC sound (the old one was maybe smoother) and the new one has improved dynamic range and THD at typical input levels.

Best,
-Tom
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't get an ID22 because I need balanced XLR outputs to my powered speakers.
Hey what do you have against balanced TRS jacks?! Work the same as an XLR! Just use TRS to XLR cables! The iD22 outputs are balanced!

Cheers!
Audient
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search