The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Joey Sturgis Gain Reduction Plugin
Old 3rd February 2014
Joey Sturgis Gain Reduction Plugin

"Get the signature Joey Sturgis vocal sound as heard on albums from artists like Asking Alexandria, I See Stars, We Came As Romans, Of Mice & Men, Attack! Attack! from labels like Rise Records, Sumerian Records, and Fearless Records!

Gain Reduction is a vocal compressor plugin by producer Joey Sturgis. This plugin is intended for vocalists, musicians, engineers, mixers, and all audio production people alike! This compressor will instantly give you mix-ready sounding vocals with little to no effort, just insert the plugin on your track and you're ready to go. Turn the knobs to tame or tighten your sound! Crank the gain to saturate and distort! Try it on drums and other instruments too.

Gain Reduction is your new go-to compressor!"

$35

Includes:
Audio Plugin (single user license)
User Manual

Requirements:
A computer with Intel or AMD compatible processor, Windows or Mac OSX operating system, and a compatible DAW installed (check which plugin formats your DAW supports and see Compatibility list below).
This plugin does NOT operate as a standalone!

Compatibility:
Windows (32 & 64 bit): VST2, VST3, AAX, RTAS
Mac OSX (32 & 64 bit): VST2, VST3, AU, AAX, RTAS
Note: The RTAS specification does not provide 64 bit support.

JST - Gain Reduction / Joey Sturgis Tones

Attached Thumbnails
Joey Sturgis Gain Reduction Plugin-jst-gr-600-2.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

A clipper?
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

I got this on an impulse buy, there is no demo but for 20 odd quid i took the punt. I do not make metal music, but it is sometimes aggressive so I thought it might be a useful tool. Like the video demonstration says it replaces a few plugins in a chain.
It sounds decent, there is some eqing going on, compression is pretty good from initial test and comparison to my arsenal. The saturation is ok, but it bugs me that this is a feature of the plugin but there is no means to compensate for the level increase, making it impossible to A/B without a trim plugin after.

Comparing to my arsenal, this is nothing revolutionary in terms of compression, it seems pretty nice and aggressive, but there are a lot of options that sound nice nowadays and for low price point. What this plugin does is give some additional sparkle and finishing all from one insert, much like the waves producer series plugs. I think it does this well, but the test is if I will be grabbing this in the future a month from now... we shall see...
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
making it impossible to A/B without a trim plugin after
oh i thought it is a trim plugin!!

so its just some plugins in series with no control over it?

sheesh
Old 3rd February 2014
35 bucks, and the fact I'm working on a Rise style album now sold me on it. I literally popped it up, pushed it, and I actually dig it. It even stacks well. Will I use it in 6 months? Probably not on vocals, but I bet this thing is perfect on a drum bus.
Old 3rd February 2014
Would someone post some demos of this thing, using it in different ways than the demos on the web? Pushing the output gain... Flipping the little "lo fi" radio effect switch..

I know it's only 35 bucks, but buying a plugin from a first time dev makes me want to wait a bit to see other accounts.

Also, not to sure if I'm keen on the idea of it adding EQ. What is it adding? Wasn't really explained...

Also, anyone try it for RTAS/AAX? Want to know if it's stable or buggy. High CPU of low CPU? I could find all these things out of there was a demo.. But there isn't so I'm asking you kind folks.
Old 3rd February 2014
Bought it. No bugs so far for RTAS. Sounds ok. The demo in the video sounded awesome, which sold me on it. Didn't blow me away, but it's worth the $35. I'll try and post some clips this weekend if I remember, as i'll be tracking vocals for a metalcore project.
Old 3rd February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Would someone post some demos of this thing, using it in different ways than the demos on the web? Pushing the output gain... Flipping the little radio effect switch..

I know it's only 35 bucks, but buying a plugin from a first time dev makes me want to wait a bit to see other accounts.

Also, anyone try it for RTAS/AAX? Want to know if it's stable or buggy? High CPU of low CPU? I could find all these things out of there was a demo.. But there isn't so I'm asking you kind folks.
I'm mixing a song tomorrow and I think I'm gonna try it out on the rooms, I can do an A/B with that. I've also used it on lofi twice since buying it about an hour ago, so I'll post that when I can! I have it pushed pretty hard. I'm running PT10, and I installed both so I think it's running AAX. Very stable so far.

My only suggestion is an output trim. Pushing tracks with the gain sounds awesome, and I know it's limiting at the top, but I'd rest easy if I didn't see the tracks constantly in the yellow when doing so. Not a huge concern though.

Also is the body a roll off? I have it set pretty low in some situations.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Addict

I`ve been playing around with it on some totally non metal voices . I really like it for what it is and can see myself put this one up quite a lot
The lofi feature is very nice aswell . Great little gem
Old 4th February 2014
Thanks for the information guys and the possibility of samples. I might just pick it up... But I need a little more convincing
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

hey joey go ahead and approach waves and do an entire bundle
Old 4th February 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the information guys and the possibility of samples. I might just pick it up... But I need a little more convincing
Me too!
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I did the programming for this plugin, so while it is under a new name, at least it's not the first plugin under my belt. So far we haven't received any bug reports on Gain Reduction.

I'm obviously not an unbiased source, but I like it a lot. It caught me off guard a bit the first time I tried it because it's easy to get let yourself get really aggressive with it, but once I got the hang of how it reacts, it felt pretty natural to use.
Old 5th February 2014
I will still wait for that one plugin called "Hitmaker MkII", because still too much work to do with loading one plugin per channel heh
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
I will still wait for that one plugin called "Hitmaker MkII", because still too much work to do with loading one plugin per channel heh
That one is at least a month out.
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

used this on a kick drum with good results
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

who is this guy ? for a sec i thought it was joe from the forum lol ?!!
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

Bought. Pretty amazing for what it does.
Old 6th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
who is this guy ? for a sec i thought it was joe from the forum lol ?!!
Pretty much a producer who works with heavy metal bands and he has a super recognizable signature sound. If you don't listen to extreme metal you won't know who he is.
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty much a producer who works with heavy metal bands and he has a super recognizable signature sound. If you don't listen to extreme metal you won't know who he is.
Thks Joe ...i thought itt was you for a minute , like you were tired of all those plugins and made your's ..lol
Old 6th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Thks Joe ...i thought itt was you for a minute , like you were tired of all those plugins and made your's ..lol
Haha, I wish I had his skills. And I wish I could dev plugins. There's a fortune to be made if you put out high quality stuff
Old 6th February 2014
Samples anyone?
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, I wish I had his skills. And I wish I could dev plugins. There's a fortune to be made if you put out high quality stuff
the most diffciulut is not to make them , but to warranty a 100 % support for years !!!
Old 8th February 2014
So I sent Joey a tweet a few days ago asking if the samples on his GR page had any additional processing outside the plugin and he mentioned using some EQ and reverb.

Now I'm thinking, "in the video he says he made this plugin to replace the entire chain of processors on his vocal, yet he still EQed the vocals after the GR plugin... "

So did he fail his own goal? Not that I care, because I'd prefer it not to be an all-in-one thing, but he said it was meant to replace all plugins (except reverb, which is understandable), yet he still added EQ in the end.

Hmmm...

EDIT: I just checked the samples again and I realized that they were produced by other producers.. So it was out of his hands..
Attached Thumbnails
Joey Sturgis Gain Reduction Plugin-image_2353.jpg  
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear

After using on vox in a mix for an hour it is pretty cool. When doing A B tests with the setup I had on the mix it looks like getting the gig for sure.

Had to really drop the gain back on it when first testing as when dropped into the mix it was WAY louder than the setup I was using.

But once it was under control and with tweaks of the slay control I really liked it.

The lofi option is also cool, as is the tilt eq option ("Body").

There seems like a lot is going on under the hood and certainly a case of using your ears.

Nice work Joey, thanks.
Old 9th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
After using on vox in a mix for an hour it is pretty cool. When doing A B tests with the setup I had on the mix it looks like getting the gig for sure.

Had to really drop the gain back on it when first testing as when dropped into the mix it was WAY louder than the setup I was using.

But once it was under control and with tweaks of the slay control I really liked it.

The lofi option is also cool, as is the tilt eq option ("Body").

There seems like a lot is going on under the hood and certainly a case of using your ears.

Nice work Joey, thanks.
I'm still riding the fence on this, even with the low price point just because I like demos and trials.. So is the body a tilt EQ? Nothing is really explained... I was wondering if it was a release control... More body = faster release to let the compressor bring up the tails.. But idk. Guess I'll just have to pick it up. Also... You really think there's a ton going on? I'm always skeptical with these sort of processors, unless it's Massey or Sonimus... Their simplistic plugs always have a lot going on under the hood and always produce nice results even with the limited options... Which I like.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm still riding the fence on this, even with the low price point just because I like demos and trials.. So is the body a tilt EQ? Nothing is really explained... I was wondering if it was a release control... More body = faster release to let the compressor bring up the tails.. But idk. Guess I'll just have to pick it up. Also... You really think there's a ton going on? I'm always skeptical with these sort of processors, unless it's Massey or Sonimus... Their simplistic plugs always have a lot going on under the hood and always produce nice results even with the limited options... Which I like.
What do you need people to tell you Joe ? Talk won`t do much anyways . I think you should just get it if your into these kind of plugs , i quess something about it triggered your attention .
What would you like it to be ?
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So is the body a tilt EQ? Nothing is really explained...
Here is an extract from the manual:

Controls
The controls for Gain Reduction were designed so that you’d use your ears to make adjustments. I did not want the user to be caught up in attack or release timings and compression ratios. Instead, I’ve encompassed these types of controls into some simple
creative controls that will allow you to make adjustments based on hearing and feeling. The giant meter displays the amount of gain in dB that is being reduced by the compressor.

On (On or Off)
This will power the entire module on or off. This is practically the same as your plugin bypass function in your DAW.

Slay (0% to 100%)
This controls the amount of compression applied to the input signal. When this is set to 0%, you will notice no compression. With a setting of 100% you will be experiencing maximum compression. The compression threshold is pre-set and a side chain with a high pass is applied before reaching the compressor’s input so that the compressor ignores bass frequencies which is an integral part of the plugin’s sound. The default value is 100% indicated by a visual marking on the backplate.

Body (-10 dB to 0 dB)
This controls the the frequency tilt after the compressor. “Body” allows you to work with the bottom end of your output signal after compression. You might want less body due to the natural build up of the bottom end that can occur with aggressive compression. This can also be used to help combat the proximity effect. The default value is -3 dB indicated by a visual marking on the masking tape label above the fader.

Gain (0 dB to +36 dB)
This provides your make up gain while simultaneously feeding an output saturator which prevents the signal from clipping while also providing some tasteful distortion. You’ll notice most of the distortion occurs past the marking located at the knob’s default position. I think you’ll find that you’ll also want to lower the body as you increase your saturation, but it greatly depends on your input source! The default value is +27 dB indicated by a visual marking on the backplate.

Lofi (On or Off)
This switch provides a compressed lofi sound which is very useful in productions and mixes. I’ve put this in a specific place within the internal chain to provide a compressed smoother lofi sound than what you’d get with just post-eq. I think you’ll also find my eq choice to be tasteful for this type of effect!
Old 9th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Here is an extract from the manual:

Controls
The controls for Gain Reduction were designed so that you’d use your ears to make adjustments. I did not want the user to be caught up in attack or release timings and compression ratios. Instead, I’ve encompassed these types of controls into some simple
creative controls that will allow you to make adjustments based on hearing and feeling. The giant meter displays the amount of gain in dB that is being reduced by the compressor.

On (On or Off)
This will power the entire module on or off. This is practically the same as your plugin bypass function in your DAW.

Slay (0% to 100%)
This controls the amount of compression applied to the input signal. When this is set to 0%, you will notice no compression. With a setting of 100% you will be experiencing maximum compression. The compression threshold is pre-set and a side chain with a high pass is applied before reaching the compressor’s input so that the compressor ignores bass frequencies which is an integral part of the plugin’s sound. The default value is 100% indicated by a visual marking on the backplate.

Body (-10 dB to 0 dB)
This controls the the frequency tilt after the compressor. “Body” allows you to work with the bottom end of your output signal after compression. You might want less body due to the natural build up of the bottom end that can occur with aggressive compression. This can also be used to help combat the proximity effect. The default value is -3 dB indicated by a visual marking on the masking tape label above the fader.

Gain (0 dB to +36 dB)
This provides your make up gain while simultaneously feeding an output saturator which prevents the signal from clipping while also providing some tasteful distortion. You’ll notice most of the distortion occurs past the marking located at the knob’s default position. I think you’ll find that you’ll also want to lower the body as you increase your saturation, but it greatly depends on your input source! The default value is +27 dB indicated by a visual marking on the backplate.

Lofi (On or Off)
This switch provides a compressed lofi sound which is very useful in productions and mixes. I’ve put this in a specific place within the internal chain to provide a compressed smoother lofi sound than what you’d get with just post-eq. I think you’ll also find my eq choice to be tasteful for this type of effect!
Thanks a ton. This clears it all up for me. Guess I'll pick it up! Lol
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Having a hard time understanding the approach behind this one. He wanted a compressor specifically for his voice, but yet is hopeful that this will work for everybody?

Looks alright i guess, but im pretty sure the compressor world has been pretty well covered.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search