The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2014: Behringer X-TOUCH - Universal Control Surface
Old 30th January 2018
  #901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
Firmware development seems dead at this point. Is X-Touch abandonware???
What are you looking for? It uses the Mackie Protocol, Mackie have not been updating it, the fundamentals have not changed. Also to be honest as a Mackie device IMO it does what it's supposed to do.
Old 30th January 2018
  #902
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
What are you looking for? It uses the Mackie Protocol, Mackie have not been updating it, the fundamentals have not changed. Also to be honest as a Mackie device IMO it does what it's supposed to do.
I am looking for fader interpolation / smoothing (as all the other ones have), colored lights (as it is shown on the package, it can be done through sysex or other messages)
Old 30th January 2018
  #903
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
Firmware development seems dead at this point. Is X-Touch abandonware???
Are there any bugs or missing features that would require or prompt a firmware update?
Old 30th January 2018
  #904
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Are there any bugs or missing features that would require or prompt a firmware update?
See NAMM 2014: Behringer X-TOUCH - Universal Control Surface
Old 1st February 2018
  #905
Here for the gear
 
woznot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Are there any bugs or missing features that would require or prompt a firmware update?
The ability to name further extenders with a firmware update. My router is in another room and will be a pain to run a 20ft Cat cable. I’m optimistic that this will happen.
Old 16th March 2018
  #906
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Are there any bugs or missing features that would require or prompt a firmware update?
An editor with Mac support would be nice. I guess that's not a firmware issue. But it has been four years and other than a fleeting beta offering, nothing. I've installed my X-Touch compact in the bottom of a Rubbermaid bin in my storage room as it's the most painless way to configure it.
Old 16th March 2018
  #907
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

If there is no will to do any further updates, release the firmware as open source and void warranty if necessary
Old 28th June 2018
  #908
One thing that'd be super cool, is if someone designed "unit connectors" for a seamless look when multiple units are connected together.
Old 28th June 2018
  #909
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

STILL on firmware 1.15 and Behringer has refused to address the issue with no interpolation on the faders.
Old 28th June 2018
  #910
Here for the gear
 
PeeeeWeeee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
One thing that'd be super cool, is if someone designed "unit connectors" for a seamless look when multiple units are connected together.
Sounds like an easy way to make some extra bucks for someone with a 3d printer ...?
Old 28th June 2018
  #911
not a bad idea.
Old 29th June 2018
  #912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
One thing that'd be super cool, is if someone designed "unit connectors" for a seamless look when multiple units are connected together.
Great idea, I really don't know what the designers were thinking of when they designed the ends of the units!

I have one extender unit and have taken the grey side panel off the joining sides of the main unit and extender, so they can sit more flush together. So far the only solution I have for dealing with the curved edges is some black tape. I saw (on YouTube) another guy used some circular plastic tubing cut in half to try and do it, and another just used electrical tape.

I also have mine sitting on a laptop stand to angle them a bit and make room to place a Console 1 controller in front.

I'll attach a photo (if I can find it).
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2014: Behringer X-TOUCH - Universal Control Surface-studio-cropped-june-2018.jpg  
Old 29th June 2018
  #913
You know what ? This doesn't look bad at all.
Old 29th June 2018
  #914
Gear Addict
 
Michael Lapke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
STILL on firmware 1.15 and Behringer has refused to address the issue with no interpolation on the faders.
That's not exactly the case, as Behringer isn't refusing to do any further firmware updates. Just because a firmware update hasn't come out to address the feature requests you've presented doesn't mean that it will never happen, but it's more likely that they just don't see it as a priority that needs to be immediately addressed. Other than yourself and a few others we're not seeing an outcry from end users about this nor is it detrimental to the typical operation of the unit.

Please remember our X-TOUCH product developers also handle a large variety of other products (ones currently available and others not yet released) so they have to prioritize their workloads and address the most pressing tasks first.

Not trying to diminish your request, just expressing that it's probably not their biggest priority to update X-TOUCH in this regard right now. Hope that makes sense.

Michael Lapke
Specialist, Community
MUSIC Tribe
BEHRINGER
Old 29th June 2018
  #915
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lapke View Post
That's not exactly the case, Behringer hasn't/isn't refusing to do any further firmware updates. Just because a firmware update hasn't come out to address the feature requests you've presented doesn't mean that it will never happen, but it's more likely that they just don't see it as a priority that needs to be immediately addressed. Other than yourself and a few others we're not seeing an outcry from end users about this nor is it detrimental to the typical operation of the unit.

Please remember our X-TOUCH product developers also handle a large variety of other products (ones currently available and others not yet released) so they have to prioritize their workloads and address the most pressing tasks first.

Not trying to diminish your request, just expressing that it's probably not their biggest priority to update X-TOUCH in this regard right now. Hope that makes sense.

Michael Lapke
Specialist, Community
MUSIC Tribe
BEHRINGER
Thanks! Well I have gotten quite a few request to port my "fader fixer" tool to Mac, and that was just a video I put on YouTube. I suspect it's an annoyance but people don't bother to go through and contact you about it. It is a relatively simple fix and would improve the product greatly.

Not all DAWs are made equal here. Some are quick on updating fader positions, some are very slow.

Old 29th June 2018
  #916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
You know what ? This doesn't look bad at all.
Thanks, I think it makes it look a little more 'pro' maybe. The black tape is/was a temp solution. At some point, I'll put some effort into a better looking permanent solution.
Old 4th August 2018
  #917
DAW control over Wifi, might be of interest to some...

YouTube
Old 12th August 2018
  #918
Here for the gear
 
PeeeeWeeee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
One thing that'd be super cool, is if someone designed "unit connectors" for a seamless look when multiple units are connected together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeeeWeeee View Post
Sounds like an easy way to make some extra bucks for someone with a 3d printer ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Great idea, I really don't know what the designers were thinking of when they designed the ends of the units!

I have one extender unit and have taken the grey side panel off the joining sides of the main unit and extender, so they can sit more flush together. So far the only solution I have for dealing with the curved edges is some black tape. I saw (on YouTube) another guy used some circular plastic tubing cut in half to try and do it, and another just used electrical tape.

I also have mine sitting on a laptop stand to angle them a bit and make room to place a Console 1 controller in front.

I'll attach a photo (if I can find it).
Here's the guy with the cut plastic tubing things. I just stumbled about that when I was looking for something completely different, but I thought I should share it here, once I found it.

YouTube

Last edited by PeeeeWeeee; 12th August 2018 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Forgot to paste the link
Old 28th August 2018
  #919
Gear Nut
 

So if i understand this correctly x touch (universal) has 7 bit fader resolution? Is this for real? Im surprised no one has made much fuss about it if thats so. That a major selling point for me!
Old 1st October 2018
  #920
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I'm interested in these to replace the Icon Platform units I have, especially now they're at a lower price.

I've read through pretty much this whole thread, and wanted to find out a bit more about some of the most talked about issues.

Starting with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
Thanks! Well I have gotten quite a few request to port my "fader fixer" tool to Mac, and that was just a video I put on YouTube.
Not all DAWs are made equal here. Some are quick on updating fader positions, some are very slow.
Really cool that you created that tool, and I'm going to want the link if it's available (?!), as I also use Studio One.
I was also wondering though, if changing the midi resolution in Settings had any impact on fader performance without using the tool?
There's a midi setting called 'Reduction' (I think it's called that, I'll check and edit later), and by default it's not set to zero (which would be zero reduction in midi resolution).
When you change it to zero, that could improve things, but I imagine your tool would still give a better result - have you checked that setting out?
EDIT: It's @ Options>Advanced>Automation: Reduction Level.
If it's not at 0%, then your fader automation resolution will be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
So if i understand this correctly x touch (universal) has 7 bit fader resolution? Is this for real? Im surprised no one has made much fuss about it if thats so. That a major selling point for me!
I'm pretty sure they are 14 or 16bit resolution.
That jittering is to do with the way some DAWs feed fader data to the controller, it's not a limitation of the x touch fader itself.

So the other problems I'm curious about are the level meters and the colours.

Now, I understand that there is a protocol to follow here, if we're interested in slavishly following mcu that is.
But as shown, different DAWs implement this differently, so there is obviously flexibility.
Saying that channel colours aren't supported by mcu and that's why we don't have them is not really very accommodating.

My Novation Launchpad allows me to light up its RGB pads in a swathe of different colours.
They implement it by using note on/off messages to select pad and then a velocity value for colour.
This is just simple midi.
I really don't see any reason why this can't be implemented simply on the x touch, and added to the mcu xml.
All they have to do is define the colours with CCs and make them addressable.

If the reason is because they want to keep it as a unique feature for the X Air devices etc, then they need to stop marketing it the way they are, because it is indeed really misleading and a little deceitful that it's not acknowledged where we can easily see it.

In Studio One at least, you have easy access to the xml .surface files which define the feature and control sets for external midi devices.

These can be edited to change the standard mcu behaviour, so has anyone made any progress with editing these in order to change the level meters from peak to rms, for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002
I have one extender unit and have taken the grey side panel off the joining sides of the main unit and extender, so they can sit more flush together. So far the only solution I have for dealing with the curved edges is some black tape.

I also have mine sitting on a laptop stand to angle them a bit and make room to place a Console 1 controller in front.
So, although it's not practical for most people I guess, if you were making a desk, you could install it up at an angle with the bottom edge recessed into the desk surface - would that kill two birds with one stone, by making the displays easier to read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woznot
The ability to name further extenders with a firmware update. My router is in another room and will be a pain to run a 20ft Cat cable. I’m optimistic that this will happen.
You don't need to run it from your home network, I'm pretty sure.
You can just create a local network direct from your computer's lan port, no internet required.

These look really good, but if there are no firmware updates on the horizon, it would be good to know how far these can be customised via xml.
Old 2nd October 2018
  #921
Agree on the misleading marketing pics.
I was working on adding that color functionality, got it working through midi sysex on the X-touch but gave up when i found out my 2 extenders don't have any support for xctl. There's no way to update firmware on the extenders and Behringer don't seem to have any plans to add this unfortunately..

Very happy with my setup nonetheless.
Next diy project will be seamless enclosure + DAW overlay. I reckon there's a lot of demand for these.
Old 2nd October 2018
  #922
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post

Really cool that you created that tool, and I'm going to want the link if it's available (?!), as I also use Studio One.
I was also wondering though, if changing the midi resolution in Settings had any impact on fader performance without using the tool?
There's a midi setting called 'Reduction' (I think it's called that, I'll check and edit later), and by default it's not set to zero (which would be zero reduction in midi resolution).
When you change it to zero, that could improve things, but I imagine your tool would still give a better result - have you checked that setting out?
EDIT: It's @ Options>Advanced>Automation: Reduction Level.
If it's not at 0%, then your fader automation resolution will be reduced.
Thanks!

Link: Dropbox - MackieFaderFixer.zip


Hm haven't tried but I have left Studio One. Not only was v2 a CPU hog, but it was limited to 8 faders too (no paging).
Old 2nd October 2018
  #923
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post
I was working on adding that color functionality, got it working through midi sysex on the X-touch but gave up when i found out my 2 extenders don't have any support for xctl.
So you're saying you managed to address the main unit's colours over midi, but it's not possible to communicate with the extenders?
That's a shame. Colours aren't a deal breaker, but they'd be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post
Next diy project will be seamless enclosure + DAW overlay. I reckon there's a lot of demand for these.
They include these with the X-Touch One, not doing so for the other units must have been a cost thing:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
Hm haven't tried but I have left Studio One. Not only was v2 a CPU hog, but it was limited to 8 faders too (no paging).
That sounds as if it was only being seen/used as a HUI mode device.
HUI doesn't support fader banking, but Control Universal does.
Did Studio One not have Mackie Control support in v2.x?
Old 2nd October 2018
  #924
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post


Thanks buddy!



That sounds as if it was only being seen/used as a HUI mode device.
HUI doesn't support fader banking, but Control Universal does.
Did Studio One not have Mackie Control support in v2.x?
Was in MCU mode, not HUI mode. Yes it had mackie support in 2.x
Old 2nd October 2018
  #925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
So you're saying you managed to address the main unit's colours over midi, but it's not possible to communicate with the extenders?
That's a shame. Colours aren't a deal breaker, but they'd be nice.
Exactly, i think it only works in Xtcl/MC mode which the extenders don't have.
Hopefully Behringer will add XTCL support at some point, cause its really great to have.

Old 4th October 2018
  #926
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I picked one up today. 3 hour round tube trip but £260 mint boxed, so worth it!

I loves me a good bargain.

This integrates with Studio One really well straight out the box.
There are lots of things I like about it already and I've only had it on 20 mins.

There are dedicated switches to bring up:
all channels
only audio
only busses
only VCA
only VST

That's cool.

I like the track select and zoom vert/hor.
I can bypass up to 8 inserts on it and bypass up to 4 sends and adjust levels for 5.
Can bring up the add send and inserts menu at the touch of a button then scroll through and select or cancel out all with dedicated buttons.

Nice. I'm definitely getting an extender for this, colours or no colours.
Old 5th October 2018
  #927
Gear Nut
 

Its 7 bit, ok, got it?
Old 6th October 2018
  #928
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Honestly, who cares, when 7 bit (if that's correct) is still fine enough to allow me to move the fader in increments of tenths of a dB.

Obviously the further down the travel you go you lose resolution but that's true of all faders, and if you're working so low down where it has a major impact, then you're doing it wrong gain-stage-wise, frankly.

I haven't seen any documentation yet that says it's one or the other, but as I said, so long as I can move in tenths, I really don't care
Old 9th October 2018
  #929
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
Its 7 bit, ok, got it?
No it's not.. i can read out more than 1000 different values from a fader move.
Never bothered to figure out how many bits it is but definitely not 7.
Old 10th October 2018
  #930
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post
No it's not.. i can read out more than 1000 different values from a fader move.
Never bothered to figure out how many bits it is but definitely not 7.
Well, its what Behringer rep told me on their support. I hardly doubt they would downplay their own products by mistake.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump