The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NAMM 2014: Manley announces the Core Reference Channel Strip Channel Strips
Old 23rd January 2014
News Desk Editor

Hardware NAMM 2014: Manley announces the Core Reference Channel Strip

Manley Labs today announced the CORE, an analog channel strip. The Manley CORE is an innovative and affordable mic preamplifier, compressor, equalizer, and limiter combo-unit that combines the greatest hits of the Manley product line with fresh technology.

The intuitive design incorporates musical and forgiving circuitry that allows the user to concentrate on performance rather than be lost in a sea of knobs. No other channel strip at this price point offers higher headroom or higher end sound than the CORE, which is, like all Manley products, handcrafted in Southern California.

“As more musicians are contributing to a project remotely, coached by the recording engineer over the telephone, we saw the need to provide an affordable and easy-to-use, excellent sounding recording channel for these guys. They aren’t engineers, they are musicians!” commented EveAnna Manley, president of Manley Labs. “The CORE is feature-laden without being confusing. Its whole purpose is to give the musician the tools he needs to turn in a great sounding track.”

FRONT PANEL CONTROLS
  • 48V Phantom power switch
  • 120Hz High Pass Filter switch
  • Phase Invert switch
  • Input Attenuator (Variable Pad)
  • Mic Pre Selectable Gain 40 dB or 60 dB (Total Gain >70 dB)
  • Line Amp Selectable Gain 20 dB or 40 dB

MIC / LINE PREAMPLIFIER
  • Hand-wound Manley IRON® input transformer with nickel laminations in a mu-metal can
  • Class A tube amplifying stage circuit topology (similar to the Manley VOXBOX® and Manley Dual Mono & Mono Microphone Preamplifiers)
  • All-triode high voltage vacuum tube circuit
Regulated 300 Volt B+ supply

¼” DIRECT INPUT
  • Similar to the DI in the Manley SLAM!®
  • All-discrete solid-state circuit
  • 10 Meg Ohm input impedance (ideal for guitars, bass, keyboards, etc.)

COMPRESSOR
  • ELOP® technology also found in the Manley VOXBOX
  • Compressor placed before the mic preamp—virtually impossible to clip
  • Ratio 3:1
  • Continuously variable Attack, Release, and Threshold controls
  • Silent Bypass switch

EQUALIZER
  • Low and High Baxandall shelves (80 Hz and 12 kHz) with ± 12dB range
  • Sweepable Midrange Bell EQ (100 Hz – 1 kHz) or (1–10 kHz) with ±10dB range

LIMITER
  • Fast attack FET brickwall limiter
  • Continuously variable Threshold and Release controls
  • Peak Limit LED indicator
  • 10dB range output gain control

METER
  • Large illuminated analog display
  • 3-way meter select to read Compressor gain reduction, Mic Preamp Output level, and Main Output audio levels.

INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
  • Balanced XLR mic input
  • Balanced XLR line input
  • Front panel direct instrument 1/4” input
  • Insert point between Mic Preamp/Compressor and EQ/Limiter via 1/4” TRS jack
  • Balanced XLR direct output (after Preamp/Compressor section)
  • Balanced XLR main output

The Manley Core is available Q2 2014 at a MSRP of US $2250.00.

Link : Manley Labs: Professional Studio & Hifi Audio Gear
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2014: Manley announces the Core Reference Channel Strip-view_image.png  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 10th February 2014 at 08:34 PM..
Old 23rd January 2014
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

yeah super cool

wondering how this compares sonically to the voxbox.

did I get it right ? "just" one tubestage (the one in the pre) ?
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Price is alright.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear
For Manley Pricing this is actually a deal! Could be a great Modern Vocal Box.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah that price really surprised me.

Eva gave me wood...
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Daaaaaamn! Still have my VoxBox unit and been using and still very happy with it. Can't wait to check this one out. Anyone got a better screenshot? BucketList ;-)
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm astonished they kept the compressor-into-preamp topology, especially as this seems aimed at a wider market.
This was one of the features that seemed to confuse prospective VB buyers ( judging by reactions on fora like this one).
Still, they might have a winner.

But that won't make me part with my Voxbox
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

I wonder if this means Manley is about to go down on their prices. This thing looks just as good as the Voxbox and way cheaper.
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Yes.
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
I wonder if this means Manley is about to go down on their prices. This thing looks just as good as the Voxbox and way cheaper.
My guess is: they're aiming at a less select clientèle. They'll probably sell more Cores than VBs.
I wonder if they will offer other products for that market, and what that'll mean for the quality and the brand's image in the long run.
Old 24th January 2014
I think this is the 2nd smartest thing Manley has done after the Massive Passive UAD plugin. The market now is for the average joe with a small set up and this can be their front end. I see this product as going after the Avalon 737. And despite what y'all opinions are on that unit, it has to be one of the most sold preamps ever, you see it everywhere from a high end studio to a bedroom studio. So with Manley's sonic reputation and reliability I see this unit selling well.
Old 24th January 2014
This looks like a great piece, but I'm very disappointed by the lack of a compressor/limiter link function! If they were 'link-able,' I'd sign up for a pair!
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
My guess is: they're aiming at a less select clientèle. They'll probably sell more Cores than VBs.
I wonder if they will offer other products for that market, and what that'll mean for the quality and the brand's image in the long run.
I don't know if I am of the less select clientele but my pocketbook is.
I think this is a great price point especially since they have all but discontinued the Langevine solid state line. I recently picked up a "Manley" DVC LE for under $2k and now it seems possible to get some tube goodness in that price range too.

Dan
Old 24th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
I think this is the 2nd smartest thing Manley has done after the Massive Passive UAD plugin. The market now is for the average joe with a small set up and this can be their front end.
Agreed. And the third smartest thing would be to release some 500 modules. (For them, not my wallet, that is.)

r,
j,
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
Agreed. And the third smartest thing would be to release some 500 modules. (For them, not my wallet, that is.)

r,
j,
Ermagherd!
Manley All Tube Mono Preamp in a 500 slot!
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Agree the price point for this channel strip is excellent, large studios will be able to get a pair and small guys can do payment plans without canceling Christmas. If Manley were to release a more affordable microphone I think they would really have something. Especially if it was around $1500. I used to lust over the Voxbox x Ref C combo they used to sell, but a Core + Manley XYZ for around $3500...
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Oh man does this thing look sweet. If I end up grabbing this I'll have three channel strips, ha! The Avalon 737, Aurora GTQC, then this - hm...
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

To users- are they best at making compressors,eqs,preamps or mics?
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Nut

Has anyone else noticed that the channel strip shown above as well as everywhere else I have checked shows the EQ section as a Baxandall EQ with low/high shelving and sweepable mid.

but in this video from NAMM with EveAnna herself, she is demo'ing a version that has the same EQ but with a different style symbol for the shelves. both are universal for describing a shelf, just wonder why they changed it.

even the poster behind her at the beginning of the video shows the model that is for sale (and the one at the top of this thread) ..

check it out...
Manley Core Reference Channel Strip - Sweetwater at Winter NAMM 2014 - YouTube
Old 25th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
To users- are they best at making compressors,eqs,preamps or mics?
Short answer: Yes. Sorry

r,
j,
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Slate should model this, so I can buy it with 49$ or less.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Manley makes the best faceplates!
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

737 or CORE...no choice
Old 27th January 2014
wow, I want ONE! awesome price point. Killer channel strip concept and very curious about the COMP before the MIC PRE config - I will give that a shot with my outboards.
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

It looks good, but it´s a fixed ratio (3:1), I need more possibilities.
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
It looks good, but it´s a fixed ratio (3:1), I need more possibilities.
Thats only the Opto Comp...they aint fast anyway...but there's a FET limiter that is
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

3:1 is a good starting point, but you can´t get higher.
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

It is a nice piece for sure and a brilliant positioning of their product. The Slam has the two comp technology add this with an EQ, and don't force two channels of it. Simple Eq. No different then the Neve likes. The Aurora etc. For tracking especially you don't want anything too complicated or its time to pick a new mic or instrument right? . I have the Slam and the Voxbox in my rack. I think this is kind of a crossover of the two. Manley makes killer gear. Hands down..built to last. If I didn't have the others I would definitely jump at 2 of these. Great job Manley!
Old 28th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
yeah super cool

wondering how this compares sonically to the voxbox.

did I get it right ? "just" one tubestage (the one in the pre) ?
I had a Voxbox years ago. This product might cause me to consider Manley again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search